PDA

View Full Version : PFAI Awards Nominees Announced

A face
19/11/2006, 7:13 PM
Awards Nominees Announced

The Professional Footballers’ Association of Ireland in association with the Irish Daily Mirror,announced the nominees for the PFAI Awards for season 2006. The four categories are Players’ Player of the Year, Young Player of the Year, First Division Player of the Year and Referee of the Year as voted for by the eircom League players.

The nominees are as follows -

Premier Division

Gary Beckett (Derry City)
Ollie Cahill (Shelbourne)
Joe Gamble (Cork City)
Jason Gavin (Drogheda United)
Ciaran Martyn (Derry City)
Joseph N'Do (Shelbourne)

First Division

Philip Hughes (Dundalk)
Barry Murphy (Shamrock Rovers)
Aidan Price (Shamrock Rovers)

Young Player

Kevin Deery (Derry City)
Paul Keegan (Drogheda United)
Roy O'Donovan (Cork City)

Referee

Alan Kelly
Ian Stokes
Paul Tuite

The team of the season for both the Premier Division and the First Division as voted for by the eircom League managers have also been announced. They are as follows -

Premier Division - Team of the Season 2006

David Forde (Derry City)
Owen Heary (Shelbourne)
Alan Bennett (Cork City)
Darren Kelly (Derry City)
Danny Murphy (Cork City)
Joe Gamble (Cork City)
Joseph N'Do (Shelbourne)
Jason Byrne (Shelbourne)

First Division - Team of the Season 2006

John Flanagan (Dundalk)
David Breen (Cobh Ramblers)
Jonathan Minnock (Finn Harps)
Raffael Cretaro (Galway United)
Ciaran Foley (Galway United)
Sean Finn (Dundalk)
Philip Hughes (Dundalk)
Conor Gethins (Galway United)
Derek O'Brien (Galway United)

The winner of each category will be announced at the PFAI Awards Banquet on Sunday 26 November 2006 at the Burlington Hotel where former Manchester United and Ireland international Denis Irwin is Guest of Honour.

The Player of the Year nominees include Derry City duo Ciaran Martyn and Gary Beckett. Gary Beckett is nominated in his 11th season with the Candystripes and Shelbourne’s Joseph N'Do is the first non-European player to be nominated for this award. Joe Gamble is nominated for the second year in a row. Aidan Price receives his second nomination in the First Division category this follows his first season in the eircom League when he was captain of Kilkenny City.

PFAI Chairman, Tony McDonnell said “I’m looking forward to the 27th PFAI Awards and my first as PFAI Chairman, and I’d like to wish all the nominees the best of luck. It’s great to receive the recognition from your fellow professionals and to those in the divisional team’s of the year, we have to thank the managers who voted for these. And once again the players have voted for the best referee in the league, good luck to Alan Kelly, Ian Stokes and Paul Tuite, the officials as always are an important part of the game.”

Taken from www.pfai.ie (http://www.pfai.ie/index.php?mod=one&id=15568&PHPSESSID=f65af6802aa7fd27ea64e322ac5c29f6)

pineapple stu
19/11/2006, 7:15 PM
:confused:

Pete Mahon said in the UCD programme recently that Conor Kenna, Ronan Finn and Gary Dicker had all been nominated for Young Player?

Anto McC
19/11/2006, 7:17 PM
How David Forde is goalkeeper over Barry Ryan,i'll never know.

pineapple stu
19/11/2006, 7:19 PM
Or Mick Devine, or Darren Quigley...

nzamcdza
19/11/2006, 7:22 PM
how come Gavin is in line for a player of they year award but Kelly and Alan Bennet got on the Team of the year ahead of him??

Celdrog
19/11/2006, 7:26 PM
That is a really good question it makes no sense !
Its obviously the Drogs turn for a conspiracy. Strange one

A face
19/11/2006, 7:28 PM
Its obviously the Drogs turn for a conspiracy. Strange one

I'd say not to be honest ..... the 'Team of the Year' is by the managers and the 'Players of the Year' is by the players (as i understand it anyway, i could be wrong)

lofty9
19/11/2006, 8:09 PM
Finally some recognition for Gary Beckett! How the hell Barry Molloy is nowhere to be found here is unbelievable. Those two guys do an awful lot of donkey work to let Martyn make his runs. Martyn has been invisible in a lot of the away matches i have been to and I will take a lot of abuse from Derry fans for saying that. But I am annoyed as it is Molloy who makes him look like a good player. If we didn't have him covering for Martyn we would be overrun in every away game. Martyn scores goals because of Beckett and Molloy.

There is only one Barry Molloy!

JC_GUFC
19/11/2006, 8:15 PM
Awards Nominees Announced

First Division - Team of the Season 2006

John Flanagan (Dundalk)
David Breen (Cobh Ramblers)
Jonathan Minnock (Finn Harps)
Raffael Cretaro (Galway United)
Ciaran Foley (Galway United)
Sean Finn (Dundalk)
Philip Hughes (Dundalk)
Conor Gethins (Galway United)

This surely means that Galway United are the best team in the Divison so! :D

swano
19/11/2006, 8:50 PM
Or more likely it means the rest of your squad aren't up to it as you only finished 3rd:p

I'm very surprised that Robbie Clarke and Ger O Brien didn't make the team. I also thought Cooling from Kildare looked very good anytime I saw him play.

pete
19/11/2006, 9:49 PM
Premier Division
David Forde (Derry City)
Owen Heary (Shelbourne)
Alan Bennett (Cork City)
Darren Kelly (Derry City)
Danny Murphy (Cork City)
Joe Gamble (Cork City)
Joseph N'Do (Shelbourne)
Jason Byrne (Shelbourne)

I don't understand some of those nominations.

Devine (19 clean sheets) is miles ahead of Forde. Bennet was better last year & Dan Murray should be in ahead of him. Beckett has only scored 2 goals all season & I don't think can be setting up that many goals to make up for that.

A face
19/11/2006, 9:56 PM
I don't understand some of those nominations.

Devine (19 clean sheets) is miles ahead of Forde. Bennet was better last year & Dan Murray should be in ahead of him. Beckett has only scored 2 goals all season & I don't think can be setting up that many goals to make up for that.

Not being funny but George O'Callaghan didn't get shortlisted last year and the guy was on fire. Its players who vote for it and its not always going to be who deserves it.

The Soccer Writers awards have more credibility as regards real recognition for players performance, its a non-biased reasoned awards.

JC_GUFC
19/11/2006, 10:00 PM
The Soccer Writers awards have more credibility as regards real recognition for players performance, its a non-biased reasoned awards.

And in Division 1 the top scorer invariable gets the award coz none of them have seen any Division 1 games!

A face
19/11/2006, 10:05 PM
And in Division 1 the top scorer invariable gets the award coz none of them have seen any Division 1 games!

Ah well its a given that you'd have to actually see some games to get it right, if they dont see them then they'll look for the easy way out.

I'd say alot of reports of games are copied from else where aswell, so its hard to say unless you actually saw the reporter at the game. That would be a huge disadvantage that first division clubs have, not being reported on or inaccurate reporting.

What can you do though ??

LeixlipRed
19/11/2006, 10:06 PM
Finally some recognition for Gary Beckett!

Didnt he win a PFAI award back in the 90s? Surely that's recognition

sligoman
19/11/2006, 10:08 PM
This surely means that Galway United are the best team in the Divison so! :DLook at the league table and find yer answer:p.

LukeO
19/11/2006, 10:37 PM
Not being funny but George O'Callaghan didn't get shortlisted last year and the guy was on fire. Its players who vote for it and its not always going to be who deserves it.

The fact that the Shels players were so petty that not one Shels player voted for a single Cork City player may have had something to do with that!!

A face
19/11/2006, 10:44 PM
The fact that the Shels players were so petty that not one Shels player voted for a single Cork City player may have had something to do with that!!

Well they are only one team but totally agreed. I know some City players were regreting their votes when it was announced.

Dodge
20/11/2006, 3:02 AM
how come Gavin is in line for a player of they year award but Kelly and Alan Bennet got on the Team of the year ahead of him??

There's 2 votes. Players vote for who they think is best overall for the main award. Then the best in their position for the team of the year award. So for in the Gavin example, midfielders and strikers might think he's a great player but defenders don't...

Rovers1
20/11/2006, 9:15 AM

first div team of the year, derek o brien :eek:

Hibs4Ever
20/11/2006, 5:32 PM
I find it interesting that a referee that recieved a ban during the season gets nominated to be the BEST referee :confused:

swano
20/11/2006, 5:37 PM
Well when your Dad is in charge of....

No surprise that Kelly also got the live game that decided the league title.

I didn't see many premier games this year but from what I saw the previous season Paul Tuite looked to be a good ref.

CollegeTillIDie
20/11/2006, 9:09 PM
How did David Forde get keeper of the year?
Just goes to show not even professional footballers no much about goalkeeping :D

NY Hoop
21/11/2006, 1:15 PM
Who picked the First Division team? Borat.

We finish with just 13 goals conceded and as Champions have just 2 players.:rolleyes:

Referee of the year?:D :D

KOH

Dodge
21/11/2006, 1:18 PM
Who picked the First Division team?
The players in the First division...