PDA

View Full Version : Season review and expectations for next year

DmanDmythDledge
18/11/2006, 8:30 PM
This season has obviously been one of the best for the club in recent times. We have managed to consolidate ourselves as a Premier Division side once again and have a good platform to build on with our squad being young. It has been especially pleasing to see that we can give any team in the division a good game and were unlucky not to get three points off in a few of the games against them. The only negative part of our season has been the inability to put our opponent out of reach, bar Bray and an off-form Sligo.

Top 5 has to be our aim for next season, if we can avoid not losing too many players. Dicker and Quigley are the only key players that I could see leaving. Dicker's loss would not be too much of a blow but losing Quigley would be a big blow as he has kept us in many games this year almost single handedly.

pineapple stu
19/11/2006, 7:44 PM
Good season in the end. Shame most of it was spent at the wrong end of the table, but you can't argue with the end result. Given we beat Sligo three times out of three, you could make the case that we were the best of the rest. :)

If Shels or Cork end up part time next year, I would hope to be challenging with them. There'd have to be a lot of change in that event, as a lot of the full players would probably seek employment with another club rather than go part time and get a job. For now, though, the main expectation is that I expect us to be in the Premier next year, end of story. Relegating a team which has just finished top half of the table would be nothing short of scandalous. Then let's try and at least consolidate in the league, break the Cup quarters hoodoo and increase crowds. Hope that's not too much to ask...

DmanDmythDledge
19/11/2006, 7:56 PM
If Shels or Cork end up part time next year, I would hope to be challenging with them. There'd have to be a lot of change in that event, as a lot of the full players would probably seek employment with another club rather than go part time and get a job.
I don't think Cork will be going full time but Shels could be there to catch next season. They will inevitably be a player exodus there next season, and if the club will have to go part-time they will struggle to get anywhere near the standard they have set the past few seasons.

For now, though, the main expectation is that I expect us to be in the Premier next year, end of story. Relegating a team which has just finished top half of the table would be nothing short of scandalous.I wouldn't worry at all about the relegation issue- I just can't see us going down.

Then let's try and at least consolidate in the league, break the Cup quarters hoodoo and increase crowds. Hope that's not too much to ask...
I think we have a great chance of consolidating our league position. It looks like we will hold on to almost all of our key players, something which we haven't managed for a while.

The crowds is a questionable issue. I feel we can get another 200 at the games, but I feel that the club isn't doing enough to try and attract people to games.

Schumi
20/11/2006, 10:21 AM
Cork look like they won't go part time now, Lennox seems to be selling out to some business types and they'll have enough money to at minimum have most of their team full time. Shels' title money will have them OK for next year too I'd say. I doubt they'll be able to spend at current levels but they'll still be spending up there with the top few. Fifth next year would the most we can hope for really, barring any serious meltdown for someone.

pineapple stu
20/11/2006, 12:49 PM
Shels' title money will have them OK for next year too I'd say.
Shels' title money is only about E100k, as far as I know. That'll be gone over pre-season.

CollegeTillIDie
24/11/2006, 8:58 PM
Well I hope UCD win one of the Cups and finish 5th next season.

Colie
30/11/2006, 8:53 PM
Speaking of next season. Don't suppose yee heard that Rovers ain't made the Premier.:eek:

DmanDmythDledge
30/11/2006, 8:58 PM
Well I hope UCD win one of the Cups and finish 5th next season.
Achieving one of those has to be the target for next season.

Speaking of next season. Don't suppose yee heard that Rovers ain't made the Premier.:eek:
Are you being serious?

Student Mullet
30/11/2006, 10:31 PM
Speaking of next season. Don't suppose yee heard that Rovers ain't made the Premier.:eek:Are Shams replacing them?

CollegeTillIDie
01/12/2006, 6:24 AM

Well the official announcement of who is in and who is out of next seasons
FAI Premier League is supposed to be on December 11. Given that this is Ireland and it's almost impossible to keep a lid on anything. If the decisions have already been reached then maybe some of that may worm it's way into the public domain.