PDA

View Full Version : Question for all people from Derry

Gerrit
18/11/2006, 5:53 PM
As you all know I am fanatically busy with groundhopping, trying to see all grounds in the EL and IL (also below premier division).

In Derry, I've seen 2 out of 3 now, having been to both Derry City and Institute grounds.

As for the third team, Oxford United Stars (playing at the 3rd tier of the Northern Irish football league): does anyone know where their ground is based? I know they are from the city of Derry, but the IFA website doesn't give any specific ground location or directions.

I hope to go to Derry next weekend and visit their ground, will try to combine it with a visit to the grounds of Omagh or Enniskillen (though Oxford Utd Stars is priority so that I completed the grounds in the city of Derry).

David
20/11/2006, 7:15 AM
Never been there but will try to find out for you. Not sure what state Omagh's ground is now in by the way as they have now folded.

lofty9
20/11/2006, 11:04 AM
Templemore Sports Complex, on the way to Bridgend.

brendy_éire
20/11/2006, 1:34 PM
From Dublin, follow signs for Buncrana. It's beside a big, ugly building. Ye can't miss it.

Sinéad K
22/11/2006, 4:22 PM
Known as Swilly Stadium, is it not? Feel free to correct me.

grounded
22/11/2006, 10:20 PM
It is indeed. Wanted to go myself but same as Gerrit, lack of information prevented me from doing so :(

Gerrit
23/11/2006, 4:06 AM
OK thanks lads, I plan to go to the ground this Sunday. Is it walking distance from Derry city centre, or is it really in the outskirts and advisable to take a bus?

Also, purely out of interest, what's the story behind the club's name? Is it named after the English Conference side or is the Oxford part referring to a local quarter or pub or so?

Dazzy
23/11/2006, 10:58 AM
OK thanks lads, I plan to go to the ground this Sunday. Is it walking distance from Derry city centre, or is it really in the outskirts and advisable to take a bus?

Also, purely out of interest, what's the story behind the club's name? Is it named after the English Conference side or is the Oxford part referring to a local quarter or pub or so?

Dont have a clue about their name, they were just a junior club that applied to the league, its a 45min walk from the city centre, if in the city centre just get the woodbrook bus and it takes you out beside it.

lofty9
23/11/2006, 8:52 PM
http://www.oxfordunitedstars.com/

from the site:

The origin of Oxford United is believed to be accredited to an engineer who worked in the Derry Gasyard. The head quarters of the team at this time where the oxford rooms which where situated at the end of Chamberlain Street and this is believed to be where the teams name Oxford United was derived.