View Full Version : Team of the Season

pete
17/11/2006, 9:58 PM
Devine
Heary Murray Kelly Hargan
Deery Byrne Martyn Cahill
Byrne O'Donovan

Bench: Connor, Gavin, Gamble, McCourt, O'Brien

Some players omitted as did not play enough.

Aaron
17/11/2006, 10:05 PM
Devine (Cork)

McCallion (Derry) Murray (Cork) Kelly (Derry) Rogers (Shels)

O'Donovan (Cork) Molloy (Derry) Ndo (Shels) Cahill (Shels)

Byrne (Shels) Farren (Derry

Subs: Delaney (Shels), Oman (Derry), Murphy (Cork), Beckett (Derry), Robinson (Drogheda)

pete
17/11/2006, 10:21 PM
Rogers is possibly worst defender in the top 4 clubs. :eek:

IMO Ndo has not played enough to be included.

Gareth
17/11/2006, 10:50 PM
I can't really pick a team of the season because I pretty much only watched Shels games and the odd other game, but from the Shels team I would have picked, Ollie Cahill who had a super season. He won Player of the Year in Shels tonight and well deserved it.

He would be in my first 11 of the season. I'll come back to you on the 10 others :)

Dyl10
17/11/2006, 11:22 PM
Subs: Delaney (Shels),

I can think of probably 8 other keepers who deserve it more :p

harry crumb
17/11/2006, 11:56 PM
------------------Devine (Cork)-----------------------

Horgan(Cork)--Kelly(Derry)--Murray(Cork)--Murphy(Cork)

--------Deery(Derry)--Molloy(Derry)----Cahill(Shels)

--Gary O'Neill(Shels)--Declan O'Brien(Drogs)--Molloy(St. Pats)

Probably give Ollie Cahill Player of the Season. Anytime Ive seen him hes been excellent. I thought he had gone backwards but since KEarney arrived hes back to his Cork City form:(

CollegeTillIDie
18/11/2006, 9:42 AM
-------- Devine( Cork)-----------

Horgan(Cork) Kelly (Derry City) Murray (Cork) Murphy (Cork)

Robinson (Drogheda Utd.) S.Byrne(Shels) Martyn (Derry City) Cahill (Shels)

J.Byrne (Shels) Farren (Derry City)

SUBS: Ryan(St.Pat's) Heery (Shels) Oman (Derry City) O'Brien (Drogheda United) O'Donovan(Cork City)

dublin15bohs
18/11/2006, 12:28 PM
-----------------------o'brien--------------------------------
Rice-------Cooney----------------McGuinness-----------Byrne

best back 4 and GK ever

LeixlipRed
18/11/2006, 1:19 PM
Do you think now that Connor is at Bohs Dessie Byrne will go back to his 9 t0 5 job? Eating children or kicking old people or whatever it is he does? The only man that spells professional footballer on his CV, T-H-U-G

Dodge
18/11/2006, 2:11 PM
Do you think now that Connor is at Bohs Dessie Byrne will go back to his 9 t0 5 job? Eating children or kicking old people or whatever it is he does? The only man that spells professional footballer on his CV, T-H-U-G

Both spells with Pats he was nthing less than a top top professional player.

Anto McC
18/11/2006, 2:48 PM
Hard to pick 11 but from Shels i'd have Dillon at centre half,Oliie Cahill on the left wing and our best all round striker,Gary O'Neill up front!!

Jason Byrne + Glen Crowe = Gary O'Neill

Poor Student
18/11/2006, 3:44 PM
Even Mad Tom doesn't see enough of the eL to come up with a definitive eL IX. I'd put forward Conor Kenna as a contender for such a team though. He's been an extremely assured defender at both right and centre back this season and has been a member of the fourth best defence this season.

LeixlipRed
18/11/2006, 3:56 PM
The 4th best defence? Wow! :D

Poor Student
18/11/2006, 4:01 PM
The 4th best defence? Wow! :D

Yeah, as in conceded less goals than yours.

nzamcdza
18/11/2006, 4:33 PM
--------------------- Devine (Cork) ---------------------

-- Heary (Shels) -- Kelly (Derry) -- Gavin (Drogs) -- Murphy (Cork) --

O'Donovan (Cork) -- Molloy (Derry) -- Martyn (Derry) -- Cahill (Shels)

-------------- Byrne (Shels) -- Farren (Derry) --------------

Subs: Crowe (Shels), McCourt (Derry), Robinson (Drogs), Burns (Sligo), Murray (Cork)

LeixlipRed
18/11/2006, 4:52 PM
Yeah, as in conceded less goals than yours.

Expect your award in the post

pete
18/11/2006, 5:23 PM
Its always interesting to see what players from your team other fans pick. I think Danny Murphy has had poor season but a lot of people picking him. Pickings are slim at left back I suppose.

nzamcdza
18/11/2006, 5:28 PM
Its the same with us hardly anyone but derry fans pick molloy but he has been our Best player this year easy!

dancinpants
18/11/2006, 5:37 PM
Its always interesting to see what players from your team other fans pick. I think Danny Murphy has had poor season but a lot of people picking him. Pickings are slim at left back I suppose.

Ye have to bare in mind pete that peoples choices are based on what they've seen this season. Being a CCFC fan you've seen alot more of Murphy this season than fans of other clubs.

Dodge
18/11/2006, 6:10 PM
Some players being picked because they've been good recently (O'Donovan), others because they started well (Robinson) and others are just plain mad (Rogers!)

For me
---------------------Ryan (Pats)------------
Heary (Shels) - Kelly(Derry) - Gavin (Drogs) - Hargan (Derry)
Deery (Derry) - Byrne (Shels) - Molloy (Derry) - Cahill (Shels)
-----------Farren (Derry) ---- O'Neill (Shels) ------

Others worth mentioning are; Brennan (Pats), Dillon (Shels), Gamble (Cork), Martyn (Shels), Keegan (Drogs), Georgescu (Bray)

Cahill or Molloy would be my player of the season

Raheny Red
18/11/2006, 6:29 PM
I reckon a Derry player will get it due to the coverage they got from their European games.

Dodge
18/11/2006, 6:48 PM
I reckon a Derry player will get it due to the coverage they got from their European games.

Yeah players are stoopid. Fenlon might get the SWAI award though

DmanDmythDledge
18/11/2006, 7:06 PM
--------------------- Ryan (Pats) ---------------------

-- Heary (Shels) -- Dillon (Shels) -- Gavin (Drogs) -- Kenna (UCD) --

Deery (Derry) -- Molloy (Derry) -- Martyn (Derry) -- Cahill (Shels)

-------------- O'Neill (Shels) -- J.Byrne (Shels) --------------

headtheball
18/11/2006, 7:13 PM
Yeah players are stoopid. Fenlon might get the SWAI award though

Maybe a Derry player will deserve it, as Derry have won more games this season (including all competitons) than any other team. I think anyone from Ciaran Martyn, Gary Beckett or Barry Molloy would be worthy winners.

OneRedArmy
18/11/2006, 7:20 PM
I reckon a Derry player will get it due to the coverage they got from their European games.How many times have you seen the Gothenburg and Gretna goals on IRISH TV?

Dodge
18/11/2006, 7:23 PM
Maybe a Derry player will deserve it, as Derry have won more games this season (including all competitons) than any other team. I think anyone from Ciaran Martyn, Gary Beckett or Barry Molloy would be worthy winners.

Didn't note the sarcasm then... I've already said I think it should be Molloy or Ollie Cahill

shero
18/11/2006, 7:34 PM
Devine
Heary Kelly Dillon Murphy

Georgescu S.Byrne Martyn Cahill

Fabio O'Brien Gary O'Neill

Raheny Red
18/11/2006, 7:49 PM
How many times have you seen the Gothenburg and Gretna goals on IRISH TV?

It's the writers and players themselves that vote AFAIK and I'm sure they all know about those games :rolleyes:

Anto McC
19/11/2006, 12:04 PM
For me
---------------------Ryan (Pats)------------
Heary (Shels) - Kelly(Derry) - Gavin (Drogs) - Hargan (Derry)
Deery (Derry) - Byrne (Shels) - Molloy (Derry) - Cahill (Shels)
-----------Farren (Derry) ---- O'Neill (Shels) ------

Others worth mentioning are; Brennan (Pats), Dillon (Shels), Gamble (Cork), Martyn (Shels), Keegan (Drogs), Georgescu (Bray)

Dodge's picks above,both first 11 and others worth mentioning would be the same as mine. His choices all season have been scarily similar to mine.

Although has Brennan really been any good for Pats and I remember Darragh Magiure having a great start to the season,how was his season over all?

OneRedArmy
19/11/2006, 1:14 PM
It's the writers and players themselves that vote AFAIK and I'm sure they all know about those games :rolleyes:Didn't see many EL players or journos at any of the 4 games.

Raheny Red
19/11/2006, 1:45 PM
Didn't see many EL players or journos at any of the 4 games.

There was a group of 125 in the home sections at the away games.

OneRedArmy
19/11/2006, 1:51 PM
There was a group of 125 in the home sections at the away games.I know exactly how many Irish journos were in Gothenburg and I have a fair idea how many were in Gretna.

Well represented wouldn't be a word that I would use.

Of course they all rolled up for the PSG games.

aido_b
19/11/2006, 3:26 PM
No Philly Hughes?

BobtheDrog
20/11/2006, 3:05 AM
interesting to see that drogheda's player of the year brian shelley doesn't feature in a single team

Hulsey
20/11/2006, 10:09 AM
One Bray player who deserves to be in the team is Colm Tresson. Had a great season and really can't remember him having a bad game, even when those around him were absolutely embarrasing themselves, through either sheer lack of ability or even more annoyingly lack of effort. Know a lot of you's will probably disagree with this, but he really did have a good season and will walk the player of the year.

pete
20/11/2006, 12:24 PM
IMO only players in top 4 teams can be considered. Its too easy to look good in other teams.

Suggtesing a Bray player from this years team is crazy as they wouldn't even get into the first division team.

Dodge
20/11/2006, 12:57 PM
IMO only players in top 4 teams can be considered. Its too easy to look good in other teams.

Suggtesing a Bray player from this years team is crazy as they wouldn't even get into the first division team.

In fairness he was saying he'd walk Bray's player of the year...

And I disagree entirely. Easier to look good when surrounded by good players. Never going to be aplayer from outside those winning things (Derry/Shels) but that doesn't mean that a player outside can't be the best and have had an exceptional season.

DmanDmythDledge
20/11/2006, 10:07 PM
That's ridiculous. The only thing that would ever make someone look good IMO is the opposition. Bar Jason Gavin, Conor Kenna has been the best defender in the league this season IMO. If people saw more of UCD on TV I'm sure more people would be saying this too.

dancinpants
20/11/2006, 10:21 PM
If people saw more of UCD on TV I'm sure more people would be saying this too.

Personally my reaction will be "Why aren't they showing a Premier Division match?"

;)

Celdrog
20/11/2006, 11:54 PM

Well I think it should be from the top 3 teams. Maybe then we would have got somebody in :p