PDA

View Full Version : BBC report Fenlon to Derry

nzamcdza
17/11/2006, 12:47 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/irish/6157338.stm

pineapple stu
17/11/2006, 12:49 PM
Wouldn't be too surprised.

Was never too sure how good a manager Fenlon is, 'cos he seems to have far more of a wage budget than anyone else in the league. If he takes over Derry, though, we may get a better picture.

Mental Man
17/11/2006, 12:49 PM
Looks like the Exodus is starting already from $hel$ even before the season ends, talking about rats leaving a sinking ship :D .

joeSoap
17/11/2006, 12:50 PM
And by all accounts, his replacement at Shels is going to be Rico.

Mr A
17/11/2006, 1:04 PM
Would Fenlon be likely to take his own staff with him or would he just be slotting in at the top in place of Kenny I wonder?

Hard to imagine him and Hegarty working together!

Poor Student
17/11/2006, 1:14 PM
I'm sure Derry fans would find it hard to stomach Eamonn Collins on their bench! Like Pineapple, I'd be intrigued to find out how he would do at another club. Derry still have a decent budget but it's hardly Shels type resources.

Mr A
17/11/2006, 1:17 PM
I never had a lot of respect for Fenlon but in fairness to him his performance in keeping a squad who were regularly not getting their wages focussed and together this year was highly impressive.

This Merry-go-round is some craic.

geraldo1977
17/11/2006, 2:43 PM
Its amazing the comments about Pat. He is the most sot after Manager in the league and he has the medals to prove how good he is. If he leaves shels it will be a huge loss because when he gets involved in a club he puts everything into it. I have seen him at youth games for Shelbourne and have seen him many a time at nursery sessions. He is a genuine down to earth bloke who has held a massive club together true many a crisis.

If you are going to judge anyone, judge them on what they have done, not on what you think they will do.

DmanDmythDledge
17/11/2006, 2:48 PM
It seems like the most logical appointment for Derry to try and make. Fenlon has proved he can make winning teams. I wouldn't be surprised to see Jason Byrne and maybe a few others follow him to The Brandywell if he goes.

JC_GUFC
17/11/2006, 2:50 PM
No one seems to have suggested that this could be an unsettling tactic. Then again Fenlon hasn't hidden that he's intent on leaving so not much unsettling to do. Looks like Shels could be 4th favourites for next season's league title behind Derry, Cork & Bohs!

geraldo1977
17/11/2006, 2:55 PM
You should give Drogheda a bit more credit and I dont expect Bohs to be all too amazing just yet!

stickyjoe
17/11/2006, 2:56 PM
Just what I thought JC - very unusual day for stories about Fenlon going to Derry on the day the title will be decided. Whether Derry really do want him or not is another story.

Am I too cynical as i think this is just designed to further unsettle the shels side on the day of the title decider?

BohsPartisan
17/11/2006, 2:56 PM

Is he going to ride Cork rock solid? :D

pineapple stu
17/11/2006, 3:01 PM
Hmmm...Rico wants to leave a club which is in so much financial trouble that it's been up before court to defend a winding up order from the Revenue, and he wants to go to Shels?!

He is the most saught after Manager in the league and he has the medals to prove how good he is.
Medals don't necessarily mean anything. If I was manager of a First Division team with Ronaldinho, van Nistelrooy, Duff, etc and we won the title, would that make me a good manager?

micls
17/11/2006, 3:04 PM
Looks like Shels could be 4th favourites for next season's league title behind Derry, Cork & Bohs!

I think next years title will be between Drogheda,Derry and us(if we get investors and some new players in.

Think Bohs will need a year at least to make a team out of the players theyre buying up.

osarusan
17/11/2006, 3:15 PM
Medals don't necessarily mean anything. If I was manager of a First Division team with Ronaldinho, van Nistelrooy, Duff, etc and we won the title, would that make me a good manager?

To convince them to join a First Division team.................yes, a great manager.

DmanDmythDledge
17/11/2006, 3:16 PM
Ah come now of course medals mean something. Having a good squad is not good enough to win the league. The manager is the most vital component is the asselbling of a team.

dahamsta
17/11/2006, 4:02 PM
geraldo1977, I've deleted your posts. If you can't post without attacking other posters, keep your mouth shut.

CollegeTillIDie
17/11/2006, 9:11 PM
Its amazing the comments about Pat. He is the most sot after Manager in the league and he has the medals to prove how good he is. If he leaves shels it will be a huge loss because when he gets involved in a club he puts everything into it. I have seen him at youth games for Shelbourne and have seen him many a time at nursery sessions. He is a genuine down to earth bloke who has held a massive club together true many a crisis.

If you are going to judge anyone, judge them on what they have done, not on what you think they will do.

I might be unique among non Shels fans in that I have known Pat Fenlon for more than 10 years and have nothing but respect for what he has achieved on the field as both a player and manager. If anything he is a better manager than a player, which given how good a player he was, is saying something.

Martinho II
18/11/2006, 1:44 PM
just thought of this just now. twenty years ago jim mcloughlin left shamrock rovers to go to derry city a good few of that team go with him to derry city .

with fenlon linked with derry city is history about to repeat itself?:confused:

Raheny Red
18/11/2006, 2:06 PM
Only gripe I have with Fenlon is the negativity for Euopean games :rolleyes: - Jayo on the ****ing right wing, wtf. :mad:

bohsmug
18/11/2006, 2:08 PM
just thought of this just now. twenty years ago jim mcloughlin left shamrock rovers to go to derry city a good few of that team go with him to derry city .

with fenlon linked with derry city is history about to repeat itself?:confused:

No I think this time the Shels manager is gonna go to Derry.:D

sonofstan
18/11/2006, 5:14 PM
Fenlon should be looking to follow Kenny out of the EL and into the SPL or the Championship/ League 1 - his record here is unrivalled - 2nd,1st,1st,3rd,1st in 5 seasons - my guess is that he wants to prove himself with better resources and in a more professional environment.

OneRedArmy
18/11/2006, 7:23 PM

with fenlon linked with derry city is history about to repeat itself?:confused:We don't have the money to do what we did back then.

I would expect any new signings will be at the expense of players leaving.

CollegeTillIDie
19/11/2006, 10:44 AM
Well any new manager of Derry City will have to cope with the following.
Salaries can only 65% of expenditure in the Brave New World of John Boy Delaney!;)