PDA

View Full Version : Puskas passes away

Poor Student
17/11/2006, 10:46 AM
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=392277&cc=5739

Rest in peace.:(

Sheridan
17/11/2006, 11:40 AM
I was privileged to make the acquaintance of a close friend and former team-mate of Puskas, and the anecdotes he recounted of "Ocsi" portrayed a popular, down-to-earth man who used his influence and status as a titular major to have death sentences commuted (the only time he ever dresed in military uniform) and suspensions overturned in Stalinist Hungary, sometimes on behalf of casual acquaintances.

On one occasion, Puskas was strolling through Budapest with several team-mates when they encountered two barefoot children. Puskas immediately took both by the hand and led them to a nearby shoestore, where the children were shod at his expense.

Of all the hundreds upon hundreds of penalties he took throughout his career, only one was missed (in an Olympic final against Yugoslavia.) He was on the brink of abandoning the game altogether after fleeing Hungary, as he became grossly overweight and suffered from a bleeding ulcer, until a former Honved manager (now scouting for Real Madrid) enticed him to Spain, but not before Puskas had shed three stone in a single month through sheer willpower.

Unfortunately Puskas' health has been precarious for some time. Doubtless the philistines at the eL/FAI are too ignorant of football's history to sanction a minute's silence before tonight's game in honour of one the greats (I'm sure if some gormless English dipso had popped his clogs, Delaney would deliver the eulogy in the centre circle himself.)

RIP

Dodge
17/11/2006, 1:01 PM
I was privileged to make the acquaintance of a close friend and former team-mate of Puskas, and the anecdotes he recounted of "Ocsi" portrayed a popular, down-to-earth man who used his influence and status as a titular major to have death sentences commuted (the only time he ever dresed in military uniform) and suspensions overturned in Stalinist Hungary, sometimes on behalf of casual acquaintances.

Wow, never heard this. I don't suppose anybody's writtena fitting biography?

seand
29/11/2006, 10:45 AM
In my opinion, the greatest of all time. Nobody's written a worthy biography yet Dodge, (though I dare say his death may hurry one along) but Puskas on Puskas by Rogan Taylor is decent, and should be easy enough to find online.

tricky_colour
29/11/2006, 11:46 PM
I can't say I know much about him, a bit before my time, however I found this discription of him:-
"he was an odd looking footballer. He was short, stocky, barrel-chested, overweight"
Sounds a bit like our Andy Reid!!

NeilMcD
30/11/2006, 1:39 PM
yeah and both had good left foots.