PDA

View Full Version : PC help needed - start up carry on

Lionel Ritchie
17/11/2006, 10:42 AM
Anyone here able to help will have my profound gratitude.

I'm using an old PC at home (Dimension 600 running w98se) at home. It's pretty much my recording studio at this stage as the wife got a laptop recently so ...five years after it became obsolete my PC, which was state of the art for about 20 minutes back in spring 2000, is back under my control for my important work.

For some time now every time you go to start it -it attempts to re-install IE6.

It appears to have had a couple of other programs running from start-up ...counterspy for example (deleted the application -as at this stage as I've no intention of networking this machine or ever connecting it to the internet again) which I've sorted out.

Anyone out there know how to stop this thing re-installing itself?
...or how to stop programs from running at start up? I know there's probably a straightforward way - I just can't find/ remember it.

noby
17/11/2006, 11:18 AM
...or how to stop programs from running at start up?

Make sure your startup folder is empty for starters (Start>Programs>Startup)

There ends my expert knowledge. Over to someone else now.

dahamsta
17/11/2006, 11:24 AM
Surely you mean IE7? IE6 was never released as a critical update.

http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfns=1&q=stop+ie7+installed

adam

Lionel Ritchie
17/11/2006, 12:50 PM
Surely you mean IE7? IE6 was never released as a critical update.

http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfns=1&q=stop+ie7+installed

adam

You're scaring me now Adam. I'd put the farm on it being IE6? Is my machine trapped in some never never land where nothing is as real as it seems? or is that just myself?

I actually thought about downloading IE7 and running that to see would it put a stop to it but that entails hassle too as the friggin Irish Broadband Ripwave unit has to be re-configured (and Navini Logistics software re-installed) if you ever move it between one PC and another.

I'll try downloading IE7 here at work and see if I can run that on the one at home.

I actually tried uninstalling IE? altogether but the machine won't let me. Booted in Safe Mode, deleted the application, restarted in normal mode, drumroll and "windows is updating" ...and off she goes again.

Question as I think of it? Would that machine support Windows 2000 or any later OS? ... as Microsoft have now discontinued support to W98SE.

Louth4sam
17/11/2006, 1:22 PM
What memory and processer is in it? You can find this out by right clicking my computer and clicking properties. Id say it'd be fine with later OS. I installed xp in an ancient dell a few months ago and it worked fine. Problem with installing a new OS will be you lose everything on your hard drive. Also if you have a small hard drive XP will take up a lot of space.

As for your problem, how did you delete the application? Did you just delete the folder that the application was in?

dahamsta
17/11/2006, 2:24 PM
You can't uninstall IE, it's locked into the OS. (In reality it was proven in the MS antitrust wars that you can, but it's not for the faint-hearted.)

If it is IE7, follow the links in the previous post for a way of preventing it from happening; in fact hang on and I'll get a better result set; here you go.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=prevent+ie7&btnG=Search

adam

DmanDmythDledge
17/11/2006, 4:09 PM
Go to;

Start
Run
Type in Msconfig
Click on startup tab
Uncheck whatever you don't want to run at start up

John83
17/11/2006, 4:21 PM
Go to;
Start
Run
Type in Msconfig
Click on startup tab
Be careful doing that. I'm not sure if they let you uncheck anything important, but I'd back up any critical files before mucking around with anything in the system32 folder.

Another possible solution is to try repairing it. Type this in after Dmanetc's step 2:
rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE6Maintenance "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Setup\SETUP.EXE" /g "C:\WINDOWS\IE Uninstall Log.Txt"

kdjaC
17/11/2006, 7:53 PM
Go to;

Start
Run
Type in Msconfig
Click on startup tab

Its windows 98, at least let him know what he needs to have running for windows to function.

Lol if he had off unchecked everything and never posted here again, it would have been your fault :D

OP get rid of 98, it was dumped by MSFT so not worth having all you need is 128mb of ram and XP will run.

/me runs a pc repair service in dublin :)

or just install firefox and never use IE again as a easy option.

kdjac

Paddyfield
17/11/2006, 10:11 PM
Get an Apple Mac next time. :)

Lionel Ritchie
18/11/2006, 2:07 PM
Lads, thanks for the replies. I'll try some of the things suggested here and see how I get on.

What memory and processer is in it? You can find this out by right clicking my computer and clicking properties. Id say it'd be fine with later OS. I installed xp in an ancient dell a few months ago and it worked fine. Problem with installing a new OS will be you lose everything on your hard drive. Also if you have a small hard drive XP will take up a lot of space.

sorry should've dealt with this earlier.

Dell Dimension XPS 600.
600mhz pentium 3 processor.
256mb RAM (came with 128 and I added another)
20GB hard drive (to which I added a 60GB drive for storage only -you can't run applications of any substance from it.)

It's mostly audio I work with so If I put in a new OS I'd just be double checking all my files and sessions are on the storage drive, disconnect it, install new OS on the "master" drive and reconnect the storage drive to access files. So I'd just have to re-install Audition, fruity loops, cubase etc... that's the theory anyway.:rolleyes:

As for your problem, how did you delete the application? Did you just delete the folder that the application was in?

Yeah -it wasn't listed in the add/remove programs function. Literally did a search for "IE6" and, with some trepidation, tried to zap everything I could find connected with it.

I generally use the Advance web browser anyway.

One more question -is there any dial-up connection still working on this island? I was saying I didn't want to go fannying around with the Ripwave unit as it's a time consuming hassle every time you move it between one platform and another.

I've tried plenty and all I get is "can't connect", not in service or engaged tones.