PDA

View Full Version : Selling on ebay?

Raheny Red
17/11/2006, 9:54 AM
I am new to ebay and I've only bought five or six items. I pay through paypal and I find it very easy to do and quite safe ,apart from one when an ebayer was banned from ebay but it looks like I'll get my mun back! Now I'm thinking of selling items. What I am wondering is when you start selling items what is the best way to find out on much it will cost me for P&P to the seller. Would I be better off going to my lost Post Office first and find out how much it would cost or are there any websites which can help with this?

Sorry for the silly questions :o

Cheers. :ball: :)

noby
17/11/2006, 11:22 AM
anpost.ie would be a starting point. From my experience sellers give themselves plenty of scope when adding p&p, and for small items like cds etc. it seems to be where the real monet is made.

Dodge
17/11/2006, 11:27 AM
I sold a few programmes on ebay. Charged £1 (back when it was ebay.co.uk only) for p+p to Ireland/Britain. £2 to europe. £4 to anywhere else. Luckily they were all to uk, bar one to Hong Kong. I sent them all through work for nothing...

dahamsta
17/11/2006, 11:28 AM
postage.anpost.ie (http://postage.anpost.ie) is a direct link to their calculator. Most of the calculations are pretty standard, for example a CD counts as a "flat", which is something like €1.75 within Ireland and €2.75 everwhere else.

adam

WeAreRovers
17/11/2006, 11:53 AM
A wee hint Raheny Red, most serious eBay sellers use Postage and Packaging as their profit. It's deliberately inflated but I didn't tell you that....

KOH

Raheny Red
17/11/2006, 12:47 PM
Cheers for all the help lads :cool:

osarusan
17/11/2006, 1:39 PM
A wee hint Raheny Red, most serious eBay sellers use Postage and Packaging as their profit. It's deliberately inflated but I didn't tell you that....

KOH

Yes indeed. Not all but a lot. I bought a book and was charged $6 for postage, but the stamp only had $2.50.

Not bothered as the book was still cheap, but you want to keep it mind.

Dodge
17/11/2006, 1:44 PM
If you query it the likely answer will be "the envelope, the cost of going to the post office...."

dahamsta
17/11/2006, 2:06 PM
It's the only way of making money on something like a (non-collectable) CD, which is too risky for a reserve and just plain won't sell with a high starting price. You list at €0 or €1 and if more than one person spots it the price gets pushed up and you can do relatively well. If only one person sees it at least you make a euro or two out of something that probably cost you €10-15 originally. If no-one spots it you lose 20c, but that's going to happen a lot more if you list "honest" shipping and a higher starting price or a reserve.

I ship at €2.50 and €4 for the postage costs above, plus the padded envelope*. I sold 5 CDs out of my first batch of 10, 2 of which were for more than the starting price; and 4 out of my second batch of 15, 5 of which were relists and only one of which went for more than starting. It's hardly a profitable business when you consider my original purchase costs. Not a bad way of building rep on the site though, and making a little money for something I'll never use again.

adam

* And the cost of going to the post office of course! :)

Dodge
17/11/2006, 2:11 PM
It's hardly a profitable business when you consider my original purchase costs. Not a bad way of building rep on the site though, and making a little money for something I'll never use again.

The average ebay user shouldn't think of it as a profit making business. I did it to get rid of crap and it helped me fund my new crap purchasers.

Crap is my gf's description for the memerobilia I seem to collect somehow...

dahamsta
17/11/2006, 2:20 PM
The average user, certainly, but I'd imagine there's quite a few making a handy living out of it these days. It wouldn't appeal to me unless I had a killer product, but if I had that I wouldn't need eBay anyway.

I reckon I'll just keep building up that rep and clearing out the closet like yourself. :)

adam

Dodge
17/11/2006, 2:23 PM
Sure you make all your millions of this site anyway...

dahamsta
17/11/2006, 2:26 PM
Ah sure it's billions I'm into now Dodge. That's why I'm living in this here mansion and snorting coke off hooker's boobs and stuff.

WeAreRovers
17/11/2006, 2:38 PM
There's over 100,000 people in Britain making at least a portion of their living from eBay*. Hence the postage 'scam' which is completely different to the reasonable explanation that dahamsta outlined.

KOH

* Source - eBay :rolleyes:

Dodge
17/11/2006, 2:40 PM
There's over 100,000 people in Britain making at least a portion of their living from eBay*.
Probably right. I mean the £12 I made from selling the programme to Kenny Dalgleish's testimonial did make up a portion of my income that week.

Dricky
17/11/2006, 2:55 PM
I must say I've found it no problem, I have only ever bought a few thing but some needed couriers, that’s where ebay can be great as you can organise your own pick up and then you can search for the cheapest courier.
For smaller items, the post and packaging is a scam but if it is something you can't get here it's worth it. One friend of mine is into his gadgets and gets a load from Korea and Hong Kong and so he finds the p&p well worth it as the gadgets are still cheaper or unavailable.

just on wearerovers point there were some who were making their full wages from just ebay can't remember the figure, but how bad.

dahamsta
17/11/2006, 3:37 PM
I've bought several items from HK where the cost was €1 or less and the shipping was twice or three times the actual shipping amount (or more, I didn't do any conversions), with no problems. Some of the items might be illegitimate - I bought three batteries for my P910i for just a couple of euros each, for example - but if they are they're coming out of the same factories as the originals - which does happen all the time - because the quality is indiscernible from originals. Which just goes to show how much we pay for the brands.

I've used that pricing with Irish and other people in the eurozone btw, and much to my surprise no-one has even mentioned the shipping discrepancy yet. I guess people realise it's how things are done these days.

adam

Block G Raptor
20/11/2006, 9:51 AM
I Paid €48 for a single sheet of hand signed Take That sheet music for mrs raptors xmas pressie and was charged £8 sterling for P&P now that is a bit of a rip if you ask me. but it'll be worth it to see mrs raptors face on xmas morning!
(Getting it framed on black velvet with the cd single and sleeve so should be nice)

dahamsta
20/11/2006, 10:28 AM
Mrs Raptor would probably be better off with a taste transplant. ;)

Block G Raptor
20/11/2006, 10:50 AM
I cant afford that Adam! that would be some serious surgery!
anyway her taste in music is not I repeat not reflective on her taste in Men:D

noby
20/11/2006, 11:01 AM
Is it signed by all five?

Block G Raptor
20/11/2006, 11:07 AM

Yep! Quite rare I'd say

Raheny Red
20/11/2006, 11:28 AM

Are you jealous?

:D :p

noby
20/11/2006, 11:48 AM
Jealous? No. That kind of memorabilia isn't my thing. Just curious, seen as they've split and all.

Never got into the whole autograph thing. When I was about ten or so , there was a grand opening of a Co-op shop or grain store or something in the (now closed) local Creamery. The official opening was by 'Biddy and Miley off the telly'. Afterwards they were signing autographs, and, not wanting to be different, I joined the queue for Mary McEvoy's. She signed my scrap of paper 'B. X.' I stood there looking at the paper, thinking what the bloody hell is this?
Since then I haven't really bothered too much with autographs.

drinkfeckarse
20/11/2006, 1:54 PM
Never got into the whole autograph thing.

I'm the same. I can't even be arsed speaking or asking for a photo with any famous faces I've ever met. Just not my thing and I tend to let them be.

Goals4fun
20/11/2006, 2:18 PM
Yep! Quite rare I'd say

not trying to burst your bubble, how can you prove they are the real thing