PDA

View Full Version : Shels and Santry

Student Mullet
16/11/2006, 5:59 PM
I just saw this on an athletics board, does anyone know anyhting?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055016635

Hi All,
Just wanted to pass this on. It was said at the last Dublin County Board meeting at all negogations between Shelbourne F.C, AAI and Fingal County Council have finished. Shelbourne have pulled the plug with their current finicail situation believed to be the reason.

Im a Shelbourne fan, but an athletics man first so its good news to me!

Hopefully the AAI can go ahead and purchase Santry outright.

RĂ©iteoir
16/11/2006, 6:37 PM
Maybe the bell tolling for the end of Shelbourne is starting to be heard off in the distance

DONG!

kdjaC
16/11/2006, 7:25 PM
The guy who posted it is part of a few Athletics clubs that are based in Santry (ie hes not an EL fan)

Can go to tallaght now :)

kdjac

chippie0001
16/11/2006, 7:57 PM
I just saw this on an athletics board, does anyone know anyhting?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055016635

Very interesting if true. The options for relocation seem to be getting smaller by the month. I am sure Shels will end up somewhere but it seems to be dragging. Why did they not go to Lissenhall at the time, thought that was a done deal?

drummerboy
17/11/2006, 1:03 AM
Is Shels tenure in Tolka not redeemable. Seems such a shame to let the place go.

CollegeTillIDie
17/11/2006, 6:23 AM
drummerboy

I love Tolka Park, have many happy memories there, winning Leinster Senior Cup our first senior trophy, winning the F.A.I. Cup there, beating Home Farm in the League almost every year. I attended my first League of Ireland game there back in 1972.

However the sad sad truth , the dirty low down is this.
1/ Drumcondra in the early 1970's were not drawing crowds to the venue
2/ Home Farm never had crowds there in the 1970's and 1980's
3/ Shelbourne since they moved back in 1989, have not been drawing the size of crowds, their considerable success, or style of football merits.

Perhaps modern life, where people are working all hours, and commuting to the middle of nowhere to a place they can call home is partly the reason. Perhaps Irish people cannot commit to anything these days let alone a football team every two weeks.
Perhaps Irish people nowadays are too effing lazy to get out of the pub.
Whatever the reason, Tolka does not seem, in spite of the massive amount of improvements carried out on the site, be able to attract the public in large numbers.

Shels off the field problems and those of Cork City could see Ireland in a worst case scenario, have two of it's four European club competition qualifiers, go bust before 2007 even starts. What would the FAI do in that instance?

BohsPartisan
17/11/2006, 7:57 AM
Surely the European places would go to the next placed teams - Drogheda and Sligo? (Though I don't think the WCS will transpire. Though you could have two part time sides getting thumped).

Soper
17/11/2006, 12:15 PM
I really doubt Cork will go bust.

desaintsno.12
17/11/2006, 2:11 PM
cork going bust ?????:rolleyes: being way too dramatic

geraldo1977
17/11/2006, 2:34 PM
Hi All

For all the negitive comments about shelbourne most of you dont have a clue. There is a bigger picture with Shels. Just about everyone on this site has an opinion on Ollie and in turn take there comments out on the club. Within Shelbourne the is a very successful youth set up with teams in just about all the DDSL premiere leagues. Last season 3 of the teams got to All Ireland finals. The youth set up has the full backing from the club with great support from Ollie and Pat and I know of no other League of Ireland club that has the same set up.

All these young players are proud to wear the shels crest, some 250 players in total, and I hope that everything falls into place for the club as these young players are the future of Irish Football and every club should be doing everything it can to support all the teams in the league.

If I remember correctly it was Shelbourne who offered all the loyal dublin City supporters free admission to all home games unitil the end of the season so the league doesn't lose these loyal supporters.

I again really hope that the likes of Cork and Shels can get sorted and continue the trend of leading the way for other clubs to follow by having a professional set up and getting closer to the leagues goal...Getting a team into the Champions League and giving the young players something to dream about.

geraldo1977
17/11/2006, 2:47 PM
Yes Tolka is gone. My understanding is Shels have a long lease aggreement with the council, Shels dont actually own tolka, and the site has been sold for apartments with shels getting a substancial payment for moving out.

With the money being tied up at the moment its really putting the club under pressure, as EVERYONE knows!!!! Again there is a bigger picture and Shels need to find a ground that is going to benifit the whole club, not just the seniors.

Cheers

chippie0001
17/11/2006, 2:58 PM
Yes Tolka is gone. My understanding is Shels have a long lease aggreement with the council, Shels dont actually own tolka, and the site has been sold for apartments with shels getting a substancial payment for moving out.

With the money being tied up at the moment its really putting the club under pressure, as EVERYONE knows!!!! Again there is a bigger picture and Shels need to find a ground that is going to benifit the whole club, not just the seniors.

Cheers

If thats the case then why did they want to groundshare in Dalymount as that would be of no benefit to anyone but the seniors? Also why is money tight, maybe because on the senior team you spend more than you earn?

pineapple stu
17/11/2006, 3:04 PM
And the winner of the Fintan Cassidy award for Ollie Byrne sycophant of the month goes to...

Geraldo, if you think that the 250 schoolboys who play for Shels is the bigger picture over the fact that you're going bust and can't find a ground, then I fear for you.

geraldo1977
17/11/2006, 3:08 PM
Hi Chippie001.idiot.com

Just about every top club in the world spends more than they earn, do you not read the papers?

aslo if you dont have the mental capacity to answer this question then there is no point in having this discussion - Who do you think is leaking the stories about the wages and why do you think they are leaking them?

Finally, you must have been visiting Mars because Bohs sold Dalymount. Shels were looking to ground share for two reasons, this was the only club that could hold Shels sizable fanbase and was close to Tolka and they wanted to ground share for a short term basis until they built there new stadium.

Poor Student
17/11/2006, 3:12 PM
Just about every top club in the world spends more than they earn, do you not read the papers?

Actually over the last half decade a lot of clubs have realised the boom and bust nature of the business and have reeled in their spending. The clubs that continue to overspend have vast income resources at their disposal.

this was the only club that could hold Shels sizable fanbase

Oh dear.

WeAreRovers
17/11/2006, 3:13 PM
And the winner of the Fintan Cassidy award for Ollie Byrne sycophant of the month goes to...

Geraldo, if you think that the 250 schoolboys who play for Shels is the bigger picture over the fact that you're going bust and can't find a ground, then I fear for you.

What he said.

KOH

micls
17/11/2006, 3:16 PM
Shels were looking to ground share for two reasons, this was the only club that could hold Shels sizable fanbase

:D :D Funniest thing iv read for a long time...thanks.

A 7 a side pitch would hold shels sizable fanbase. Sorry bud but you just lost all credibility with that statement

geraldo1977
17/11/2006, 3:16 PM
[QUOTE=Poor Student;576762]Actually over the last half decade a lot of clubs have realised the boom and bust nature of the business and have reeled in their spending. The clubs that continue to overspend have vast income resources at their disposal.

NERD ALERT :eek:

geraldo1977
17/11/2006, 3:19 PM
:D :D Funniest thing iv read for a long time...thanks.

A 7 a side pitch would hold shels sizable fanbase. Sorry bud but you just lost all credibility with that statement

MicLs

Your spot on. Thats exactly what I ment. Sure everyone knows by now that Dalymount is only the size of a 7 a side pitch after selling off every nook and Cranny!

drummerboy
17/11/2006, 3:24 PM
So can anybody from Shels confirm that talks have broken down between them and FIngal Co Council with regard to Morton Stadium. Somebody posted it on the Shels forum and they too got no answer.

Kingdom
17/11/2006, 3:34 PM
I attended my first League of Ireland game there back in 1972.

How fcuking old are you?!!!
Only kidding :D

geraldo1977
17/11/2006, 3:36 PM
Drummyerboy, on the off change are you a stones throw away from Tolka?

drummerboy
17/11/2006, 3:53 PM
Well done, Sherlock. Obviously, interested in whats happening in Tolka, I do attend regularly.

pete
17/11/2006, 6:43 PM
cork going bust ?????:rolleyes: being way too dramatic

Someone taking sense here.

Our chairman didn't have the money to keep funsing the club himself so basically made a plea to local investors. He had 2 consortium come forward from that (not bad plea eh?) but seems negotiations down to one now.

CollegeTillIDie
17/11/2006, 7:14 PM
Someone taking sense here.

Our chairman didn't have the money to keep funsing the club himself so basically made a plea to local investors. He had 2 consortium come forward from that (not bad plea eh?) but seems negotiations down to one now.

I did say Worst case scenario, which in this case would be breakdown of negotiations and Brian Lennox still wants to bail out.