PDA

View Full Version : eL Clubs & Their Pubs

Pages : [1] 2

Peadar
16/11/2006, 10:01 AM
While I've always enjoyed a pint at Dalymount and always been made welcome there, I have to admit that McDowell's would be my favourite "away" game bar. Now that St. Pat's have taken control of it, I really envy them.
I meant to post this at the time but our game there a few weeks ago was my first time there since the takeover and when I saw St. Patrick's Athletic FC over the bar, I turned green with envy. Great bar, great welcome and always a bit of banter. In the 10 years that I've been going there, the place has always had a club bar feel about it and I've always made an effort to get up there early. No problem going in there on my own, in colours.

Our only hope would be to buy the Horse Shoe and turn it into a decent bar. Can't see that happening though.

Anyone else have a favourite away day bar?

Dodge
16/11/2006, 10:13 AM
Horse Shoe isn't bad when the bar is full of Pats fans. Windmill is Drogheda is another with a similar vibe.

BTW there's a Sports quiz in McDowells tonight and all are welcome. Last time out we had Derry, Longford, Bohs and Rovers fans

harpskid
16/11/2006, 10:34 AM
The Cat and Cage was always a good spot for Harps fans for trips to that part of the world, Mother Hughes in Drogheda and Kates when the Galway fans used to go there!

Jaime
16/11/2006, 10:37 AM
I can never remember the names of the provincial boozers, but the Tangled Web in Longford is one that sticks out. Arsed if I know why though.

Danny
16/11/2006, 10:39 AM
always like the one across from the train station in sligo and windmill in drogland

worst has to be the yellow house in waterford or the brandywell bar/bluebell house in derry

The Stars
16/11/2006, 10:42 AM
Whatever the places is called in Derry,not The Brandywell, the one further down the road....Sligo fans certainly enjoyed ourself in there on Cup Semi Replay night.
Whats Brays place like?should be invaded by 25-30 Santa's tomorrow evening

Hibs4Ever
16/11/2006, 10:43 AM
Whatever the places is called in Derry,not The Brandywell, the one further down the road....Sligo fans certainly enjoyed ourself in there on Cup Semi Replay night.

Hibernia Inn, nice place

Jaime
16/11/2006, 10:43 AM

The two on the seafront nearest the ground are Katy Gallaghers and The Hibernia. The Hibernia is marginally more appealing, but neither has much going for them.

The Stars
16/11/2006, 10:44 AM
always like the one across from the train station in sligo

that would be Carr's.....Mooneys(harloes) across fro the showgies would be better for away fans...Derry and Drogs fans certainly enjoyed it recently.

GuisaSaigon
16/11/2006, 10:46 AM
Foxes and Fibber Magees in Eyre Square are now the pre and post game pubs in Galway. Much better craic than Kate's but not as close to Terryland.
The pub across from the showgrounds (mooney's ?) is usually good craic.

endabob1
16/11/2006, 10:49 AM
The Shack in Athlone was always my pre match pint of choice.

Peadar
16/11/2006, 10:57 AM
The Oak Tavern in Derry is a mad spot!
Normally go to Kennedy's in Drumcondra.
The Hibernia Inn, Bray and the Jury's Montrose have zero atmosphere before games.

JC_GUFC
16/11/2006, 11:11 AM
The Horseshoe has to be in the running for the 'Worst Pub in Ireland' award.
I seriously think the owners make no effort because they know they'll have loads in every second Friday!

Harloe's in Sligo is nice and McDowell's is decent too.

Dalymount is brilliant for after a match but I'm not sure about their tacky long bar - I think it sums up Bohs.

I'd say the best craic I've had has been in the Oakgrove in Derry.

Raheny Red
16/11/2006, 11:49 AM
Was in the Evergreen before the Cork V Shels game last week, not a bad spot had a couple of pints there before the game :cool:, however the **** of a manager wouldn't let us in after the game as none of us had Garda age cards :mad: :rolleyes: - and not one of us in colours. Obviously he thought us dubs might have been ungracious in defeat

wws
16/11/2006, 11:54 AM
either that or u look 16

Raheny Red
16/11/2006, 11:57 AM
either that or u look 16

The same ****er served us pints before the game :rolleyes:

wws
16/11/2006, 11:58 AM
yeah u get away with it early on in the day

its his license on the line if knicked

JC_GUFC
16/11/2006, 12:34 PM
To be fair I'd say he probably is 16.

This maybe one of the only threads on this forum not to descend into complete ****e as none of the young teens like Philo or mypost will be able to post anything and all the UCD lads just drink Dutch Gold and would never buy a non-subsidised pint! :p

pineapple stu
16/11/2006, 12:39 PM
The Oak Tavern in Derry is a mad spot!

Oak Grove. Good pub.

Loved Hargadon's in Sligo while it was open. Gutted they gutted it. One of those real old fashioned pubs built back in the day before such modern building techniques as levelling the concrete floor. Very dodgy when you're carrying back a few pints while drunk.

The Stillery in Longford's another good pub.

Jaime
16/11/2006, 12:44 PM
To be fair I'd say he probably is 16.

This maybe one of the only threads on this forum not to descend into complete ****e as none of the young teens like Philo or mypost will be able to post anything and all the UCD lads just drink Dutch Gold and would never buy a non-subsidised pint! :p

There could be a bit of farcical value in this one yet, what with you having the cheek to call the Long Bar tacky. :mad:

The Stars
16/11/2006, 12:46 PM
Oak Grove. Good pub.

Loved Hargadon's in Sligo while it was open. Gutted they gutted it. One of those real old fashioned pubs built back in the day before such modern building techniques as levelling the concrete floor. Very dodgy when you're carrying back a few pints while drunk.

The Stillery in Longford's another good pub.

ya,that was a great pub....not sure if its gonna be re-opened...thought it as there is a big shopping complex going in at the back of it.

Rory H
16/11/2006, 12:51 PM
im pretty sure it wont be reopened

expecting big things of the atmospheric in bray 2moro

pineapple stu
16/11/2006, 12:59 PM
Don't.

Rory H
16/11/2006, 1:00 PM
whats bad about it

pineapple stu
16/11/2006, 1:05 PM
It's just dead, generally. Usually nearly empty. Try one or two of the pubs on the seafront. Katie Gallagher's, I think?

Conor H
16/11/2006, 1:07 PM
Should we be in the Premier league next year i guarantee ye'll all have great time in Fox's before and after the match with the galway lads.Just ask the Rovers,Cork Dundalk and Monaghan fans.

GuisaSaigon
16/11/2006, 1:19 PM
How could I forget The Sqealing Pig in Monaghan, I'm not sure if its even still there but it used to be great craic.The bar in Gortakeegan isnt bad either, you can see half the pitch from your barstool (sometimes you wish they had made that window smaller ! )

Irish Fan
16/11/2006, 1:29 PM
Joe Gamble and Fenn or sumthing own a pub in Cork right?

Jaime
16/11/2006, 1:33 PM

Think that's a mens clothes shop, or whatever it is that they wear down there.

Peadar
16/11/2006, 1:39 PM

Philo may act like a teen but it's a long time since he was asked for ID in a bar. :D

wws
16/11/2006, 1:43 PM
HE'S A pAUL mCcartney impersonator

GuisaSaigon
16/11/2006, 1:46 PM
Raf Cretaro supposedly works in a pub called "Killinascully" in Tubbercurry !

Ricky O' Flaherty had the legendary "Ricky's Bar" in Galway for a few years, I remember when Ricky played for Pats against us in Terryland the pub doors had to be closed at 9:30 pm it was so packed.Most of us didnt make it out of there untill 9:30 am ! Eddie Gormley was the only one who couldn't handle his drink!

Roo69
16/11/2006, 1:47 PM

Our boozer is The Hibo, just over the dart line on the left hand side, 30 second walk from the Carlisle. Lovely little spot for a few pints. Don't know of any Bray fans using Katie's for post or pre match pints.

Dodge
16/11/2006, 2:05 PM
Ricky O' Flaherty had the legendary "Ricky's Bar" in Galway for a few years, I remember when Ricky played for Pats against us in Terryland the pub doors had to be closed at 9:30 pm it was so packed.Most of us didnt make it out of there untill 9:30 am ! Eddie Gormley was the only one who couldn't handle his drink!

I was there that night. Absolutely crazy night.

The Stars
16/11/2006, 2:21 PM
Raf Cretaro supposedly works in a pub called "Killinascully" in Tubbercurry !
dont think so......First of all never heard of it and secondly id say he has enough jobs already.
His father owns a chipper in Tubber though,id say he helps out there the odd day

scotsbeer
16/11/2006, 2:35 PM
msot pubs with a mixyure of fans will always do for me or any one thats open to be honest. best name for a pub ive seen was in rhodes. THE SUNBURNT ARMS. there is a filthy mcnasties in edinburgh but not as bad as it sounds

carrickharp
16/11/2006, 4:06 PM
Anytime we are playing in Dalymount we meet up before and after the match in The Hut, agree with most of the bars mensioned above.

seand
16/11/2006, 4:13 PM
You can't beat a bar in the ground... obviously the Lilywhite Lounge tops the list! I know these clubs have bars in the ground...Dundalk, Drogs, Mons, Cobh, Bohs, Shels ...any others?

In Dublin always like the Cat n Cage for Tolka (ever since the 2002 Cup win anyway) and The Hut for Dalymount.

adamcarr
16/11/2006, 4:20 PM

No its a clothes shop as already said but Denis Behan and Greg O'Halloran own a pub in Carrigaline alright.

Kildare Lad
16/11/2006, 4:45 PM
You can't beat a bar in the ground... obviously the Lilywhite Lounge tops the list! I know these clubs have bars in the ground...Dundalk, Drogs, Mons, Cobh, Bohs, Shels ...any others?

In Dublin always like the Cat n Cage for Tolka (ever since the 2002 Cup win anyway) and The Hut for Dalymount.

We have a bar in our ground too.

paudie
16/11/2006, 4:55 PM
Thought the Bluebell in Derry was grand last year. Oakgrove is a great spot. Slightly more upmarket perhaps.

Some great pubs in Longford. Is Valentine's the one across from the Longford Arms? Nice pub

paudie
16/11/2006, 4:56 PM
[QUOTE=seand;576170]You can't beat a bar in the ground... obviously the Lilywhite Lounge tops the list! I know these clubs have bars in the ground...Dundalk, Drogs, Mons, Cobh, Bohs, Shels ...any others?

QUOTE]

Weren't Longford talking about getting a licence for Flancare last year? Did they get it yet?

1 9 2 8
16/11/2006, 5:23 PM
dont think so......First of all never heard of it and secondly id say he has enough jobs already.
His father owns a chipper in Tubber though,id say he helps out there the odd day

One of my mates said he works their the odd time

BohsFans
16/11/2006, 5:33 PM
Dalymount is brilliant for after a match but I'm not sure about their tacky long bar - I think it sums up Bohs.

What's tacky about it? It's a trendy boozer. What other clubs have a DJ on in ONE of their bars after a match?

It's also racked in a load of money for the club.:)

bluemovie
16/11/2006, 5:57 PM
Norris's is our pub, but it's a good ten minute walk from the RSC. The Yellow House is a s***hole. We never go there. I suppose it's a bit like Drogheda where Mother's is the main pub, but the Windmill is closer to the ground.

The Horseshoe mightn't be the most glamorous spot, but there's always good banter there. Mooney's in Sligo is deadly.

Snoop Drog
16/11/2006, 6:29 PM
How could I forget The Sqealing Pig in Monaghan

One of the best "el" pubs. Good craic, esp after Sunday evening games.
The Mons have it all- Nice ground, good pitch, good after match pub. If only Monaghan people cared...:(

Raheny Red
16/11/2006, 6:51 PM
The Brandywell Bar just because it's so unique :D

De Town
16/11/2006, 6:54 PM
Weren't Longford talking about getting a licence for Flancare last year? Did they get it yet?

Yeah we still havent got it...The date for pub licence applications is only December and March or something like that, and we weren't ready to apply last March.

Rory H
16/11/2006, 7:30 PM
It's just dead, generally. Usually nearly empty. Try one or two of the pubs on the seafront. Katie Gallagher's, I think?

its been pre arranged so we will have at least 50 so it should be good

Cosmo
16/11/2006, 7:53 PM
The Brandywell Bar just because it's so unique :D

Like the brandywell bar myself!

Prematch awayers like, the brian boru (dalyer bar at half t ime and full time), mcdowells, cat and cage, the hibernian, valentines/market bar ( we usually do both).

Absolutely hate the one in waterford - and the horseshoe in cork is the biggest sh!thole I was ever in in my life