PDA

View Full Version : Andy Reid's position

Pages : [1] 2

paul_oshea
16/11/2006, 9:28 AM
I know it was only san marino, but in the second half he seemed to be in the right place everytime when looking for the ball and was always in assitance to the backs and forwards, thought he really controlled irelands distribution in the second half, again its only san marino, but this really does look to be his best position. i was also surprised how quick he was cutting inside etc...

eirebhoy
16/11/2006, 9:46 AM
He played a lot deaper than I expected him to and my Emre comparison was backed up on last nights performance. :) Emre was recently linked with an 8 figure bid from Bayern Munich so hopefully Reid can hit those levels.

btw - Can I ask if anyone read a recent interview with Andy Reid? I haven't a clue what paper it was but a friend told me about it. He said he's fed up with people commenting on his weight and I'd really love to see the interview so we can finally put that issue to bed.

paul_oshea
16/11/2006, 9:48 AM
i thought he played deeper at times, when neeeded, i thought his general reading of the game was very good, he got into the right positions at the right time, and some defence splitting passes were played in by him, he has a natural ability to sense where to pass the ball without actually looking up, fair enough though he did overdo it sometimes, but maybe that was the game to try it in....either way that should do his confidence no harm!!

eirebhoy
16/11/2006, 9:51 AM
Yeah, it's his intelligience that really impresses me. I really like those types of players which is why I always rave about Nakamura. Both players are excellent passers with a great football brain. Naka has a lot more flair while Reid is stronger and better in scrappy types of games when we're on the back foot. He actually played in a similar role to that of Alonso last night.

dr_peepee
16/11/2006, 9:55 AM
All valid points, and he should start for those very reasons. Still don't think though that as a cetral pairing Carsly and Reid in a 442 would cut it against a better side.

Dr. Ogba
16/11/2006, 9:56 AM
He played a lot deaper than I expected him to and my Emre comparison was backed up on last nights performance. :) Emre was recently linked with an 8 figure bid from Bayern Munich so hopefully Reid can hit those levels.

btw - Can I ask if anyone read a recent interview with Andy Reid? I haven't a clue what paper it was but a friend told me about it. He said he's fed up with people commenting on his weight and I'd really love to see the interview so we can finally put that issue to bed.

yeah it was in the Indo on Sunday:

REID REBORN

ADVERTISEMENT

ANDY REID arrived for training in south London last Thursday with the vigour that has been renewed since he moved to Charlton Athletic in the summer searching for an outlet. Reid has rediscovered the joy of playing football after 18 months at Tottenham Hotspur which didn't work out as expected.

Last Tuesday Reid scored in the shoot-out against his old Nottingham Forest and Irish underage teammate Barry Roche, as Charlton beat Chesterfield on penalties to move into the quarter-finals of the Carling Cup. On Thursday, he arrived at training looking forward to the intense sessions that are the speciality of Iain Dowie. Instead he was sent into bat.

Charlton played cricket for an hour and a half instead of training and Reid discovered there were some limitations to his skills. "The lads said I was the worst player. Apparently I made something called a 'golden duck'. We didn't play much cricket when I was growing up."

Football governed Reid's early life in Crumlin. The mastery of a football that has always been natural to him came from living in a family where the game dominated lives.

Some have suggested that Reid has been functioning on that skill alone, that he was developing a physique more suited to a casual game of cricket than Premiership football. Even when he couldn't make the team at Tottenham, the managerial staff at White Hart Lane defended him against such claims, insisting he was in the top two or three trainers at the club.

"People who say that don't understand the game," Reid insists. "We do a lot of the Prozone stuff and if anybody wants to check the stats, you'll see that I do as much if not more running than anyone on the pitch."

But the talk persists. "It comes from the build that I have. Things like that don't bother me. I know what I do on the pitch and I know I do the right things. The managers I played under know I do and as long as my manager here and my international manager know what I can do, that's all that matters to me."

Reid spent the summer determined to end all criticism. He worked hard before the season began and Tottenham - having lost out on Damien Duff - were ready to start with him on the left. Then came an injury and soon there was a bid from Charlton.

Reid recovered from the injury - although he still feels he is catching up with those who had a full pre-season - but when Charlton made their move, he decided he needed to make one too.

Reid sent a message to Robbie Keane after his friend had beaten Chelsea on Sunday, but he says he is unconcerned by anything happening at Tottenham.

Charlton remain one of the least glamorous clubs in the Premiership, but they have allowed Reid a chance to sparkle. The joy that was in his game when he thrived at Nottingham Forest has returned.

Reid has been handed responsibility at Charlton and his recent run in the side has coincided with Charlton's best spell of the season, even if they remain bottom of the table following a poor start which saw them lose seven of their first eight matches.

Reid has appeared unaffected; playing his stylish game, encouraged by a manager who wants more than water-carriers in his team. The stats may show that Reid is a willing runner, but Dowie has placed him, as Steve Staunton did against the Czechs, in the centre of his team, allowing him to pick his passes. Reid can run, but he can also do a lot more.

"Certain managers go for different approaches and I've been lucky in all the managers I've played under, in that they've all wanted to play football, maybe with the exception of Gary Megson at Forest," Reid says, before considering his words and laughing. "**** that was a dig wasn't it? Most of the managers I've played under have wanted to play football and that's the way I was brought up.

"Paul Hart drilled it into us when we were young lads at Forest and I've been really, really lucky. I look around and I see players and I think they could have benefited from the education I had. That's the type of player I am, I'm not going to be able to change, it's what I do. I get on the ball and I look to play football and it's worked quite well so far."

Against San Marino on Wednesday, Reid's ability to keep the ball, to make things happen, may be required against a side that will willingly give the ball away and simply defend.

Staunton has been criticised for his comments regarding San Marino, but Reid believes three points is all that matters as Ireland search for their first win in the group.

"We've had a bit of a sticky patch and it's time to get back to winning. That was one thing I always found when I went away with Ireland teams. It wasn't always necessarily winning, but we didn't lose and I think we need to get that back. I think bits of it came back in the Czech Republic game."

Reid believes Ireland can still qualify and condemns the personal nature of the attacks on Steve Staunton. He also defends his captain from criticism.

"I don't understand the criticism of Robbie. I think he should be captain, he's one of our best players, he's a leader on and off the pitch. He's not a Tony Adams or a Roy Keane, but he leads by example and you just look at his goal record and the workrate he puts in on the pitch, it's second to none. Again, I think it's something which for some reason is personal more than anything to do with football. I've always felt that Robbie takes a lot of unfair criticism."

'Most of the managers I've played under have wanted to play football and that's the way I was brought up'

Staunton may have shown this week with his comments regarding Andy O'Brien and Bobby Robson that he remains a clumsy performer in front of the media. It would not matter if there was not always a danger of his team mirroring that ineptitude on the field. Ireland under Staunton have developed a habit of playing well only in response to a media firestorm. The pressure is off after the result against the Czechs, yet there is no chance of a career-ending slip-up on Wednesday night.

Reid believes the response of the players against the Czechs in an atmosphere he describes as the best he has experienced at Lansdowne signals the emergence of a new Irish team with the traditional traits. Ireland, he believes, are rediscovering their fight.

Everything else is changing in Irish football and Reid remembers Lansdowne Road wistfully.

"I always think it's a special place, not just the stadium, but the area is not too far from where I live and I just think it's a lovely area of the city, a very historical area of the city. I always love the drive over from the hotel to the stadium. So it will be sad and a bit strange, but it's a new dawn and it's exciting to be playing at Croker. Although I'm not too sure about playing on the northside."

eirebhoy
16/11/2006, 9:58 AM
All valid points, and he should start for those very reasons. Still don't think though that as a cetral pairing Carsly and Reid in a 442 would cut it against a better side.
If Man U can be so successful with Paul Scholes in midfield then I don't see why not.

tetsujin1979
16/11/2006, 10:02 AM
If Man U can be so successful with Paul Scholes in midfield then I don't see why not.

Paul Scholes had Roy Keane beside him.

DeNiro
16/11/2006, 10:08 AM
What about if he was paired with Steven Reid? That may make a difference but there may be an issue with both trying to get forward.

Dr. Ogba
16/11/2006, 10:08 AM
Defo think that Reid is the type of player that we've been crying out for of late. He was the only guy out there last night that looked anywhere near like playing the killer pass but I'd agree that maybe he doesn't do enough of the donkey work to warrant playing in a 4 man midfield.
I'd sooner see us play a 5 man midfield with McGeady Carsley Douglas/S.Reid (when fit) A. Reid and Duff - have the couple of grafters in there with the other 3 lads given license to attack.

Unfortunately that would mean that Doyle would be sacrificed but I think thats our best bet at the moment....

endabob1
16/11/2006, 10:10 AM
A friend of mine is a CAFC season ticket holder and reckons Reid is one of their best players this season, admitedly considering their position it's not saying much but I think he is deffenitely benefiting from a run in the side which he didn't often get at Spurs for various reasons.

drinkfeckarse
You can't class Reid in Scholes' league. He has the talent no doubt but he's a bit to go yet before he reaches Scholes standard and consistency.

paul_oshea
i agree with peepee there, thats what i would be afraid of against a team where we are under pressure defensively in midfield more. reid cant tackle for sh1te ( if he could, i think we would be ok ), did ye seem him yesterday on 3 dif occasions he just sorta ran into the side of players.....

dr_peepee
16/11/2006, 10:31 AM
I see what your saying EB, but have to disagree. Scholes is a better player, surounded by better players.

Even Looking at the modern scholes, I don't think him and Carrick compliment each other either for what that worth. In the bigger games you'll find Fletcher or Shea has been worked into the middle beside them. Sure it's why Hargreaves is being lined up.

onenilgameover
16/11/2006, 10:32 AM
I thought reid dictated most of what happened last night and he was moving far too slowly. he didnt have a bad game he just looked like he could be moving onto the ball instead of standing still while recieving it. wont be able to do that against any other team in the group..

eirebhoy
16/11/2006, 10:41 AM
Paul Scholes had Roy Keane beside him.
And now he has Michael Carrick. :)

You can't class Reid in Scholes' league. He has the talent no doubt but he's a bit to go yet before he reaches Scholes standard and consistency.
It's nothing to do with how good Reid is. Carsley-Reid is no more attacking than Carrick-Scholes.

btw - A few people have said Reid can't tackle. His tackling stats were excellent at Spurs and not many Spurs players put in more tackles than him. He's certainly no worse than Scholes in that department.

drinkfeckarse
16/11/2006, 10:54 AM
It's nothing to do with how good Reid is. Carsley-Reid is no more attacking than Carrick-Scholes.

I beg to differ eirebhoy. Andy Reid, as much as I'm a fan is no Paul Scholes (although he can be in the future if he keeps fit and progresses). Carsley-Reid may not be anymore attacking than Carrick-Scholes but the latter is a better standard and that is always relevent.

eirebhoy
16/11/2006, 11:07 AM
I beg to differ eirebhoy. Andy Reid, as much as I'm a fan is no Paul Scholes (although he can be in the future if he keeps fit and progresses). Carsley-Reid may not be anymore attacking than Carrick-Scholes but the latter is a better standard and that is always relevent.
Fair enough but why do you think Carsley-Reid wouldn't work against a decent standard of opposition?

Billsthoughts
16/11/2006, 11:35 AM
I thought at times Reid looked one of the classiest players out there.
couldnt beleive some people sayin he had a bad game. dont understand the scholes point. scholes is one of the best midfielders (if not the best) in the premiership. his tackling stats dont really stand up when anyone who has seen him play for ireland will see he makes tackles but rarely wins the ball.

eirebhoy
16/11/2006, 11:48 AM
dont understand the scholes point. scholes is one of the best midfielders (if not the best) in the premiership.
I'm suprised peopel don't understand the Scholes point. :) Scholes is famous for being a very poor tackler.

Dr. Ogba
16/11/2006, 11:52 AM
I thought reid dictated most of what happened last night and he was moving far too slowly. he didnt have a bad game he just looked like he could be moving onto the ball instead of standing still while recieving it. wont be able to do that against any other team in the group..

This is a fair enough point but what do you want him to do when there's not enough movement around him? Too often our players are static when we have the ball so our play is always slowed down. I'm definitely looking at the rest of the midfield in this regard, not enough people making off the ball runs to create space...

Billsthoughts
16/11/2006, 11:53 AM
Hes not a poor tackler as in he doesnt put them in...he is a poor tackler in the way he is fond of the oul hack.

eirebhoy
16/11/2006, 12:07 PM
Hes not a poor tackler as in he doesnt put them in...he is a poor tackler in the way he is fond of the oul hack.
I'm sorry but you'll never persuade me that Scholes is better than Reid at doing the dirty work. :) Around this time last season Reid was probably in the top 20 tacklers in the premiership (until his injury anyway) and that's playing on the left wing.

Soko
16/11/2006, 12:18 PM
So people are now making comparisons bewteen Andy Reid and Paul Scholes after a game against San Marino?

He looked like he was just shifting the ball for no reason last night, nowhere near direct enough. Still has an awful lot to prove

drinkfeckarse
16/11/2006, 12:24 PM
Fair enough but why do you think Carsley-Reid wouldn't work against a decent standard of opposition?

I never said they wouldn't. Good partnership on paper. I was just commenting that Reid was not in Scholes league yet. You gave the partnership example!

eirebhoy
16/11/2006, 12:30 PM
I never said they wouldn't. Good partnership on paper. I was just commenting that Reid was not in Scholes league yet. You gave the partnership example!
Ah I agree that Scholes is on a different level to almost every midfielder in the premiership. My point was just a basic reply to dr_peepee who said:
"Still don't think though that as a cetral pairing Carsly and Reid in a 442 would cut it against a better side."

Obviously Carsley is a certain starter for us now so I assumed he meant Reid wouldn't cut it in the centre. I gave Scholes as an example of a player who's doing very well in the centre of a 4-4-2 who is probably no better than Reid defensively.

drinkfeckarse
16/11/2006, 1:11 PM
Oh I see, hadn't read the other post.

dr_peepee
16/11/2006, 2:38 PM
It's all about opinions. I just think that in a five man midfield or out on either side he's not as bound tactically and can be afforded the time and space to play the type of game ,its fair to say we all appreciate,from him.

There's extra responsibilities in the centre and I don't think he has the astuteness defensivly to juggle successfully.

Those on about his tackling, they sound like impressive stats. I wasn't aware of them. I would though like to see some stats from the last 20 minutes of his games which is where I've seen him make unnecessary tackles for club and country.

eirebhoy
18/11/2006, 2:02 PM
I juist seen today's lineups and Reid is partnering Holland in the centre of a 4-4-2, probably for the first time in his club career. This will certainly answer a lot of questions as Charlton are playing 2 proper wingers in Rommedahl and Thomas. I'll be cheering against Reading today anyway.

Stuttgart88
30/11/2006, 3:11 PM
Monday's Daily Mail (I didn't buy it, honest!) wrote a glowing report on Reid, saying that focusing on his shape is stupid and saying Puskas was of the same build. The fans love him at Charlton apparently and it's not like the Mail to single an Irishman out for praise. They did the same about Doyle on the next page, comparing his rise to that of Ian Wright (I suspect this will rankle with CCFC fans though. I take the point but ignorance of eL players can probably be excused in the UK papers in my opinion).

I looked for the article oinline but couldn't find it. The whole article focused on Reid. Now if only the Irish press would ever single out an Irish player in their match reports, no matter how well or badly he played.

The Legend
30/11/2006, 5:08 PM
True about Puskas and Reid, except one is a legend and the other is fat...

Go on ya Legend Reidy... yer better that than fatty Puskas! :D

DmanDmythDledge
02/12/2006, 2:31 PM
Reid is amongst the goalscorers today. The move to Charlton has certainly seemed to revitalise his career.

Stuttgart88
04/12/2006, 3:13 PM
I just posted this in another thread but every paper I read on Sunday was full of praise for Reid.

Billsthoughts
04/12/2006, 4:16 PM
good to see. hes a class player in my opinion. a real footballer. if maradonna was Irish we would moan abouthim not tracking back.

hoops1
05/12/2006, 9:02 AM

To compare Reid to Scholes is a joke
To compare Reid to Puskas is a bigger joke being fat and playing football is where the similarity end
Reid a Real footballer, I give up

Billsthoughts
05/12/2006, 1:00 PM
think the scholes comparison has been explained to death.
it was to do with tackling ability or lack thereof.
I doubt anyone here has seen puskas play.
and I called reid a real footballer as he is good with a football as opposed to players with good "workrate":rolleyes: .

hoops1
05/12/2006, 1:03 PM
Reid = fat Mark Kennedy

eirebhoy
05/12/2006, 1:04 PM
To compare Reid to Scholes is a joke

ffs I'm getting frustrated reading the 3rd or 4th person say this. :) Read over the thread to see my response.

Barcelona and Arsenal have been successful playing mainly with 1 striker the last few seasons. There's no reason why the same system wouldn't work for Levski Sofia. Sorry, I shouldn't compare Barcelona with Levski...

As for comparisons with Mark Kennedy. I'm following Reid more than any English based Irish player this season. I'd actually say he's now my favourite player. I just love intelligient players. Mourinho tried to get Duff to play more with his brain and play the intelligient pass, I don't think he's really capable of it. Reid is a class above every attacking Irish player imo when it comes to reading the game.

hoops1
05/12/2006, 1:07 PM
correct you shouldnt

Billsthoughts
05/12/2006, 1:10 PM
jesus hoops1 your in good form today!
dont really agree with the mark kennedy thing. he could play football but was totally headless.
reid could be able to provide that bit of creativity we are looking for to unlock teams and release (insert name of flavour of the month here)

Stuttgart88
05/12/2006, 8:50 PM
hoops1, have you seen Reid play recently?

eirebhoy's been spot on in his admiration of Reid's recent form. I'd be surprised if he wasn't given his obvious liking for footballers with some guile. Bill's right in calling him a proper footballer. I can't recall which paper it was last week, but it singled out Reid as being ''gifted''. Not a bad accolade for a guy playing in a struggling team, hence having less opportunity to shine, and for a guy who's not English, so less likely to attract praise in the English press.

I've no axe to grind either way on Reid, but when I saw him against Fulham about 6 weeks ago I was really impressed. His passing & decision making was superb and I think it's interesting now that, for the first time, he's had a succession of games in the Premiership & has kept injury free he's consistently attracted rave reviews.

Stuttgart88
05/12/2006, 8:56 PM
In fact, check this out (including the true context of the Puskas comparison). Bear in mind that there's barely a more anti-Irish publication on the planet than the Mail!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=418781&in_page_id=1779

Qwerty
05/12/2006, 9:54 PM
The comparison to Puskas is in terms of physical build and his one-footedness and not actual ability.

republicofwhite
05/12/2006, 10:34 PM
Awww...Its a nice gesture though isn't it??:D

youngirish
06/12/2006, 9:11 AM
Reid was MOTM again last night and has always been an excellent player IMO. He had a miserable time at Tottenham a team with a ridiculous turnover of players (he should have went to Charlton initially when he had the option under Curbishley) but in our WC qualifiers he was consistently one of our best performers along with Given. He's the sort of player though that to really shine needs to be playing week in, week out and not have to worry about being dropped if he has one bad game. He also needs for the team to be built around him in some sense to really show his talent. Neither of the above happenned at Spurs.

Hopefully now he can progress from here and Charlton don't get relegated (which unfortunately I think they will).

NeilMcD
06/12/2006, 9:23 AM
Great performance from him last night. They played him just behind the front two. With three workers behind him. His vision was top notch in my opinion and his passing was very good also. I would rather have the likes of Reid in our team than the Kilbanes of the world. Its all about what type of player we want in our team and I want footballers who keep the ball and I think Reid is one of those.

Fergie's Son
06/12/2006, 3:04 PM
Watched the game last night in the comfort of my bed as the Chicago winter tore the ******** off of the city.

Reid was excellent. The odd sloppy play (he tends to lose out in tackles and can give the ball away too easily) but overall he was the best player on the pitch.

Everything Charlton did went through him. Without him they are a muck team. On this form, the Irish team needs to be built around him.

geysir
07/12/2006, 8:34 AM
I haven't seen Reid play but surely the Mail photgraph is a useful update to our Andy Reid physical profile gallery, looks to be a slim 30" waistline.
http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2006/10/andyreidEMPICS_228x184.jpg

as_i_say
07/12/2006, 12:22 PM
i dont think you can compare kilbane to reid. kilbane is a winger and reid is a central mid-hopefully by now staunton has realised this-those two players cant be in competition with each other for a place on the ireland team

endabob1
07/12/2006, 1:18 PM
Reid was MOTM again last night and has always been an excellent player IMO. He had a miserable time at Tottenham a team with a ridiculous turnover of players (he should have went to Charlton initially when he had the option under Curbishley) but in our WC qualifiers he was consistently one of our best performers along with Given. He's the sort of player though that to really shine needs to be playing week in, week out and not have to worry about being dropped if he has one bad game. He also needs for the team to be built around him in some sense to really show his talent. Neither of the above happenned at Spurs.

Hopefully now he can progress from here and Charlton don't get relegated (which unfortunately I think they will).

HAve to disagree with this. Reid was given every chance at Spurs but the harsh facts are he didn't take them. He was bought as a left sided player but his ahem "physique" meant he wasn't suited to getting up and down the line in the way Duff does (or did) when Reid got injurred he never really looked fit againm it was no real surprise he was let go. He'll do well at Charlton because they'll build a team around him, he wasn't good enough for Spurs to justify doing that in a season when they were pushing for the Champions League.