PDA

View Full Version : Derby games

CollegeTillIDie
15/11/2006, 9:48 PM
There are many potential derby games in the EL.

1/ ATHLONE TOWN V LONGFORD TOWN
The midlands derby

2/ ATHLONE TOWN V LIMERICK F.C.
The Shannon Derby

3/ ATHLONE TOWN V GALWAY UNITED
The South Connacht Derby ( well the west bank of Athlone is on the Roscommon side of the river)

4/ GALWAY UNITED V SLIGO ROVERS
The Real Connacht Derby

5/SLIGO ROVERS V LONGFORD TOWN
North Midlandsish Derby 1

6/ SLIGO ROVERS V FINN HARPS
North West Derby 1

7/ FINN HARPS V DERRY CITY
North West Derby 2

8/ DERRY CITY V SLIGO ROVERS
North West Derby 3

9/ LONGFORD TOWN V MONAGHAN UNITED
Sort of Derby

10/ DUNDALK F.C. V MONAGHAN UNITED
North East Derby 1

11/ DROGHEDA UNITED V DUNDALK F.C.
Louth Derby

12/ DROGHEDA UNITED V MONAGHAN UNITED
North East Derby 2

13/ LIMERICK F.C. V CORK CITY F.C.
Munster Derby 1

14/ LIMERICK F.C. V COBH RAMBLERS
Munster Derby 2

15/ LIMERICK F.C. V WATERFORD UNITED
Munster Derby 3

16/ CORK CITY V WATERFORD UNITED
Munster Derby 4

17/ COBH RAMBLERS V CORK CITY
Leeside Derby

18/ WATERFORD UNITED V KILKENNY CITY
South East Derby

19/ KILKENNY CITY V KILDARE COUNTY
The K Clubs Derby

20/ KILDARE COUNTY V SHAMROCK ROVERS
In 2006 it was the First Division's Greater Dublin Derby

21/ ST.PATRICK'S ATHLETIC V U.C.D.
The Saints and Scholars Derby

22/ U.C.D. V BRAY WANDERERS
The SE Dublin/N Wicklow Derby

23/ SHAMROCK ROVERS V SHELBOURNE
The ex-Ringsend Derby

24/ BOHEMIANS V SHELBOURNE
The Northside Derby

25/BOHEMIANS V ST. PATRICK'S ATHLETIC
Dublin Derby 1

26/ BOHEMIANS V U.C.D.
Dublin Derby 2

27/BOHEMIANS V SHAMROCK ROVERS
El Gran Classico Derby

28/ SHELBOURNE V U.C.D.
The 1895 Derby ( both clubs founded that year)

29/SHAMROCK ROVERS V U.C.D
The ex-neighbours Derby

30/BRAY V ST. PATRICK'S ATHLETIC
The Eddie Gormley Derby

31/BRAY WANDERERS V SHAMROCK ROVERS
The (01) Green and White Derby

32/ BRAY WANDERERS V BOHEMIANS
The (01) B teams Derby

33/ SHELBOURNE V BRAY WANDERERS
The Dart/Commuter train Derby

34/ ST.PATRICK'S ATHLETIC V SHAMROCK ROVERS
The New West Dublin Derby

35/SHELBOURNE V ST. PATRICK'S ATHLETIC
S Club ( Dublin ) Derby

36/ Any Dublin V Country team is a Rural/ Urban Derby game

Not bad for a 21 team League:D

micls
15/11/2006, 10:08 PM
Seriously how long did that take you :)

dancinpants
15/11/2006, 10:08 PM
7/ FINN HARPS V DERRY CITY
North West Derby 2 or "The REAL North West derby"

8/ DERRY CITY V SLIGO ROVERS
North West Derby 3 or the red and white stripey shirt derby

Just a couple of add ons

sligoman
15/11/2006, 10:41 PM
4/ GALWAY UNITED V SLIGO ROVERS
The Real Connacht DerbyNot really much of a derby as Galway aren't really our rivals. No matter how much they like to think they are:D.

hoopy
16/11/2006, 6:12 AM
Good list, but we all know that there's only really one proper derby in this Country ;)

noby
16/11/2006, 7:33 AM
Kind of stretching the defenition of the word derby there.

And, by your criteria, you also forgot:
WATERFORD UNITED V COBH RAMBLERS
The derby to decide who is Cork City's main derby rival (not that they would lower themselves to think either of us are worthy to be considered derby opposition, being that they're a 'big club' now, so surely their rightful derby opposition should be another big club etc. etc.)

seand
16/11/2006, 7:34 AM
Good list, but we all know that there's only really one proper derby in this Country ;)

aye.... Linfield - Glentoran ;)

Mr A
16/11/2006, 9:35 AM
Finn Harps V Athlone Town

"The joined the league in 1969 and are both moving from tin stadiums to really nice new ones and have a fair bit of blue in their kits and aren't that far apart really Derby"

dcfcsteve
16/11/2006, 9:40 AM
Stretching the concept of a derby way too much there there CTID !!

Would be like saying Arsenal v Charlton was a derby, because both are from London, or that Hull City v Sheffield United was a derby, just cuz both were from Yorkshire (there's about 10 teams from Yorkshire in the league, as it's a huge area) when neither would be considered 'derbies' by their fans.

Dodge
16/11/2006, 9:41 AM
Loving the Eddie Gormley and Saints and Scholars games.

I'd suggest you send this to John Delaney. As we move to a historic new US style franchise Delaneyship we should be promoted every game as if its the biggest game in the world. Taking a leaf out of US college football, lets have a name for every game and have them all live on TV. I honestly can't wait for the Eddie Gormley bowl live on pay per view...

Go SAINTS!

GuisaSaigon
16/11/2006, 9:41 AM
Not really much of a derby as Galway aren't really our rivals. No matter how much they like to think they are:D.

There has always been a healthy rivalry between ourselves and Shligo. because we are the only Connacht teams and also because many of our players have also played with Shligo down the years.
This season our games with Athlone have been more like derbys probably because they are basically our b team and its our shortest trip.
The scum element that has attached itself to "De Town" recently also gets our blood boiling!

Lossie Glens
16/11/2006, 9:53 AM
aye.... Linfield - Glentoran ;)

Or as we prefer up here, Glentoran v. Them 'uns

:D :cool:

Duffman
16/11/2006, 9:56 AM
Someone has time on their hands! Interesting although I would question the "Derbyness" of Monaghan and Drogheda. I reckon there are 7 or 8 clubs closer to the Dublin suburb that is Drogheda than CHP is.

BohsPartisan
16/11/2006, 11:12 AM
Pretty soon we'll have the M1 Derbys Bohs V Shels (If Shels go to Morton). Bohs V Drogs, Shels V Drogs.

JC_GUFC
16/11/2006, 11:21 AM
You could also have:

Galway v Pat's

And

Galway v Shels

The ex-Harold's Cross tenants derby. (Galway once played an end of season 'home' game against Shels in Dublin. It was a marketing move for United, much like the GAA playing matches in the US)

On that theme you could just have the ex/current Greyhound Stadia derbies:

Waterford (Kilcohan), Derry (Brandywell), Pat's/Shels (Harold's X - did Shels ever play in Shelbourne Park) Galway (Sportsgrounds/Harold's X)

gustavo
16/11/2006, 11:24 AM
Sligo Rovers vs Shamrock Rovers - The Rovers Derby .

The Stars
16/11/2006, 11:33 AM
There has always been a healthy rivalry between ourselves and Shligo. because we are the only Connacht teams and also because many of our players have also played with Shligo down the years.
This season our games with Athlone have been more like derbys probably because they are basically our b team and its our shortest trip.
The scum element that has attached itself to "De Town" recently also gets our blood boiling!

Bit rich calling Athlone your B team isnt it Guisa.
If you look at teh last time ye played Athlone,you could make a whole team,using both teams of Ex-Sligo players...but i wont say anymore about that.

Conor H
16/11/2006, 11:40 AM
Sligoman is talking through his arse.
If you look at Bebo or the reaction we sometimes get up there it is most certainly a derby.Sligoman consider Sligo v Rovers....more of a derby:rolleyes:

It was summed up for me before by a Sligo fan down here in Galway.To them Harps are bigger rivals but they hate us more.Rovers is just a long old rivalry.

Anyway i'd consider Sligo our main rivals but i'd hate Athlone just as much if not more in some ways.

monkey magic
16/11/2006, 1:28 PM
sure while your at it, why not have the bray-galway east-west derby cos there roughly directly east/west of each other, oo and you could have a whole host of coastal derbies, im thinkin here bray-waterford, limerick-galway, limerick-bray, waterford-galway and then theres the "no one cares about us" monaghan-kilkenny derby, the "no one supports us" ucd-dublin ci.. no wait, scrap that one, but there is of course the possibility of a "proppin up the league" athlone-kilkenny-monaghan triligy series!:cool:

Conor H
16/11/2006, 1:45 PM
There's also the red neck derby between longford and Athlone.(or the midlands derby if ya want to be posh!!)

monkey magic
16/11/2006, 1:58 PM
There's also the red neck derby between longford and Athlone.(or the midlands derby if ya want to be posh!!)

or the "look at us, why is no one paying attention to us" galway-sligo derby(ye may want to call it the connaught gold derby;) )

Jerry The Saint
16/11/2006, 2:03 PM
Galway once played an end of season 'home' game against Shels in Dublin. It was a marketing move for United

So Shamrock vs. Cobh would also be a derby then, seeing as they have played a home game in Turner's X:confused:

Conor H
16/11/2006, 2:04 PM
or the "look at us, why is no one paying attention to us" galway-sligo derby(ye may want to call it the connaught gold derby;) )

It's a bigger derby than any one ye're involved in and gets bigger crowds....despite what Sligoman may say.:rolleyes:

monkey magic
16/11/2006, 2:10 PM
its only actually a derby if the two teams involved play in the same division;)

NY Hoop
16/11/2006, 2:31 PM
So Shamrock vs. Cobh would also be a derby then, seeing as they have played a home game in Turner's X:confused:

We'll test the water this weekend! ROVERS v Cobh that is.

Incidentally that game in turners x went ahead but cork refused to fulfil a fixture in cobh.

KOH

holidaysong
16/11/2006, 7:07 PM
Dundalk vs. Monaghan isn't a proper derby. Dundalk vs. Drogheda is the best derby in the country in my (obviously biased) opinion.

Paddyfield
16/11/2006, 8:23 PM
Not really much of a derby as Galway aren't really our rivals. No matter how much they like to think they are:D.

Agreed. Galway United are the most remotely located Club in Ireland. Athlone is probably nearer to us and that's 90km.

Mind you, every time we have played in the Showgrounds, the match programme always mentions the Connacht Derby. I often look at the Sligo Champion and the Sligo Weekender before and after a game in the Showgrounds and both papers refer to it as the Connacht Derby.

Nevertheless, I still consider Athlone Town as our rivals, even if they are geographically closer to Longford.

Kildare Lad
16/11/2006, 8:38 PM
Id say best derby is Pats v Rovers, i may be slightly biased.

Kildare dont have any proper rivals, nobody likes us, and nobody hates us.

Patrick Dunne
16/11/2006, 8:38 PM
Finn Harps fans regard Derry as their main rivals.
Derry fans regard Finn Harps as a mickey mouse outfit.

Sligo Rovers fans regard Finn Harps as their main rivals.
Finn Harps fans regard Sligo Rovers as a mickey mouse outfit.

Galway United fans regard Sligo Rovers as their main rivals.
Sligo Rovers fans regard Galway United as a mickey mouse outfit.

Athlone Town fans regard Galway United as their main rivals.
Galway United fans regard Athlone Town as a mickey mouse oufit.

Limerick FC are a mickey mouse outfit.

Paddyfield
16/11/2006, 8:55 PM
Traditionally, Shamrock Rovers V Bohemians is the biggest rivalry in Ireland. There is always a big security presence and there is always an off-the-pitch issue to be dealt with...pigs head thrown on pitch, beer kegs thrown through pub window, flag burning etc.

Pity they can only attract half the crowd that a Cork City v Derry City game in the Brandywell or the Cross can attract.

1 9 2 8
16/11/2006, 9:26 PM
Sligo Rovers vs. Galway United is technically our only real derby the others are just rivalries

Conor H
16/11/2006, 9:31 PM
Sligo Rovers vs. Galway United is technically our only real derby the others are just rivalries

Exactly 1928.Most GUFC AND Sligo fans think the exact same.It's a good derby and there's always a good atmosphere at the games.I love the Connacht Derby and look forward to going to the showgrounds.
Sligoman knows that aswell but loves winding me up....and he always succeeds.:p

Having said that i'd hate Athlone more than Sligo in alot of aspects but consider Sligo our main rivals.

sligoman
16/11/2006, 9:39 PM
Sligoman knows that aswell but loves winding me up....and he always succeeds.:pMy job here is done:cool:

Galway still not rivals though:p.

cheifo
16/11/2006, 10:56 PM
Id say best derby is Pats v Rovers, i may be slightly biased.

Kildare dont have any proper rivals, nobody likes us, and nobody hates us.

Fair play to you KL, I dont know why I found this so comical:D :D :D ,I just did.Sounds like your club has a bit of an identity crisis.

CollegeTillIDie
17/11/2006, 6:12 AM
Kind of stretching the defenition of the word derby there.

And, by your criteria, you also forgot:
WATERFORD UNITED V COBH RAMBLERS
The derby to decide who is Cork City's main derby rival (not that they would lower themselves to think either of us are worthy to be considered derby opposition, being that they're a 'big club' now, so surely their rightful derby opposition should be another big club etc. etc.)

As regards your initial point.... Haven't you heard of marketing? The Brand new John Delaney Super League is going to have to do something like this to bring the masses back to games.

As regards my omission
I stand corrected I would have called it Munster Derby 5; The you used to play for us derby :D or something like that

Finn Harps fans regard Derry as their main rivals.
Derry fans regard Finn Harps as a mickey mouse outfit.

Sligo Rovers fans regard Finn Harps as their main rivals.
Finn Harps fans regard Sligo Rovers as a mickey mouse outfit.

Galway United fans regard Sligo Rovers as their main rivals.
Sligo Rovers fans regard Galway United as a mickey mouse outfit.

Athlone Town fans regard Galway United as their main rivals.
Galway United fans regard Athlone Town as a mickey mouse oufit.

Limerick FC are a mickey mouse outfit.

Well then are they the Walt Disney Derbies? Maybe we could get them in as sponsors :D

Dundalk vs. Monaghan isn't a proper derby.

By the same token holiday song your lot are mightily miffed when they beat you ! :D

NY Hoop
17/11/2006, 9:53 AM
Traditionally, Shamrock Rovers V Bohemians is the biggest rivalry in Ireland. There is always a big security presence and there is always an off-the-pitch issue to be dealt with...pigs head thrown on pitch, beer kegs thrown through pub window, flag burning etc.

Pity they can only attract half the crowd that a Cork City v Derry City game in the Brandywell or the Cross can attract.

Cork and Derry is not a derby and are only getting good crowds now cos of their success.

Rovers boez got 10,000 twice in the space of a few weeks during the 94 Cup. One of the reasons crowds are down is because of all the over the top security measures.

KOH

Raheny Red
17/11/2006, 10:50 AM
One of the reasons crowds are down is because of all the over the top security measures.

KOH

And why is there over the top security measures put in place?! The answer is the reason why the crowds are down! :rolleyes:

mr.untitled
17/11/2006, 11:24 AM
when was the last time you played them? :rolleyes:

drogs have bigger fish to fry these days

we certantly do have bigger fish to fry but you cant top the feeling of beating craptown!! the cup draw and replay victory in the mid 90s were the best derby matches ive ever seen!

ndrog
17/11/2006, 1:22 PM
Someone has time on their hands! Interesting although I would question the "Derbyness" of Monaghan and Drogheda. I reckon there are 7 or 8 clubs closer to the Dublin suburb that is Drogheda than CHP is.

Theres only derby for us and thats craptown .Its a pity they cant get out of the graveyard .Well actually its not :)

CollegeTillIDie
17/11/2006, 7:20 PM
Bring back the Donegan Cup... or do ye still play for it on the QT? ;)

Martinho II
18/11/2006, 1:51 PM
longford town athlone town a definite derby there has always being a rivalry between both clubs!

imo longford town sligo rovers has the potential to turn into a derby as longford is the closet eircom league club to sligo only sixty miles away and not ballybofey!another reason is that I work with a good few sligo rovers fans and they can get extremely arrogant and annoying at the best of times.!! isnt that right sligoman?;)

sligoman
18/11/2006, 3:10 PM
imo longford town sligo rovers has the potential to turn into a derby as longford is the closet eircom league club to sligo only sixty miles away and not ballybofey!another reason is that I work with a good few sligo rovers fans and they can get extremely arrogant and annoying at the best of times.!! isnt that right sligoman?;)The only time we get arrogant is when yer ranting on about how great Longford are and how with two games left, you still felt that ye'd finish above us. That cost you a fiver though so that might shut ya up a bit:D.

sligoman
18/11/2006, 4:49 PM
Sligoman that means Christmas is cancelled in Stapos ! tut tut on you :DBut it means an even better Christmas in sligoman's so it's all good:p.

CollegeTillIDie
19/11/2006, 10:16 AM
I can recall two trophies that were played for in one off Derby matches in the EL in the past. Dundalk / Drogheda used to play a pre-season game for the Donegan Cup. Finn Harps/Derry City used to play in the North West Cup which was eventually expanded to include some Irish League teams in the days pre-Setanta Cup, I think Institute and Omagh Town played in it for a couple of seasons.

Raheny Red
21/11/2006, 11:05 PM
The biggest derby in Ireland finished 1-0 to Celtic :rolleyes:

soccerc
21/11/2006, 11:19 PM
I can recall two trophies that were played for in one off Derby matches in the EL in the past. Dundalk / Drogheda used to play a pre-season game for the Donegan Cup. Finn Harps/Derry City used to play in the North West Cup which was eventually expanded to include some Irish League teams in the days pre-Setanta Cup, I think Institute and Omagh Town played in it for a couple of seasons.

The Bohemians V Shamrock Rovers league game at Dalymount was for the Barrington Cup. Died out in the early 1950's. Cup never left Dalymount, no matter who won, and was on display in the bar until the early 1970's. Don't know where it is now.

edit: It was played for at Milltown in 1952/53 (could have been 51/52, but the Cunninghams were not pleased when Rovers won but no cup was presented! The referee was a TJ Barington (the reason the game was for the cup, being the grandson of the donor) and one of his linemen was a William (Billy) Allen

ColinR
22/11/2006, 8:17 AM
I can recall two trophies that were played for in one off Derby matches in the EL in the past. Dundalk / Drogheda used to play a pre-season game for the Donegan Cup.

it has been resurected in recent years as the Jim Malone Cup (i think he was chairman of Dundalk, and match is played in his name). naturally Drogs have won it for the last few years :D

WeAreRovers
22/11/2006, 10:09 AM
The Bohemians V Shamrock Rovers league game at Dalymount was for the Barrington Cup. Died out in the early 1950's. Cup never left Dalymount, no matter who won, and was on display in the bar until the early 1970's. Don't know where it is now.

edit: It was played for at Milltown in 1952/53 (could have been 51/52, but the Cunninghams were not pleased when Rovers won but no cup was presented! The referee was a TJ Barington (the reason the game was for the cup, being the grandson of the donor) and one of his linemen was a William (Billy) Allen

Would I be right in inferring what I'm inferring from that post? ;)

KOH