PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Lansdowne Moment's?

Block G Raptor
15/11/2006, 11:51 AM
Well This is it for the Old Lansdowne just wondering what peoples favorite moments where
Mine are ...........
1. Ronnie Whelans Goal against Norn Iron in 89 (que sera sera were gonig to italy)
2. John Aldridges first goal v Tunisia (although it didn't officially count as it was an Ireland IX v Tunisia didn't stop him and the south terrace going completely nuts
3. David Kelly's Goal versus In-ger-land (quickly followed by the lowest night at the Stadium)

Peadar
15/11/2006, 11:53 AM
Mine has yet to come. It will be the day the bulldozers move in...

OwlsFan
15/11/2006, 12:02 PM
See other thread:

http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=46524

Block G Raptor
15/11/2006, 12:05 PM
See other thread:

http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=46524

I did see that thread but its more to do with tonight than peoples actual memories of the old Kip

elroy
15/11/2006, 12:26 PM
Well being from a gaa background down the country i was a late enough bloomer to get to games in LR.
My first game is probably my favourite moment there, against Yugoslavia in 99 when we won 2-1! Cracking game and atmosphere. I didnt manage to get to the dutch game in 2001, if i had i think that wouldve been my number one. Cos any other "big" game in lansdowne since hasnt really gone our way. The first 20 mins against Israel recently was great as well, the rest not so great.

macdermesser
15/11/2006, 12:28 PM
MZ_l0d2r4Mo
I suppose the above one is the most recent big result

I would go for Cas against Norn Iron in 1989 .. the ball from Whelan to Sheedy was sublime .. or Tony Cascarino against England in the 1-1 draw .. never heard such a roar in my life ever before and ever since .. of course we went out of 1992 euros thanks to the hand of .. cough .. wise.. who scored with his hand against Turkey.

joe_barry80
15/11/2006, 12:39 PM
My 1st game was against Spain in 89. I went every single home game in that campain. i remeber my da bulls***ing the stewart that our tickets where nicked and we got stand on the touchline. But the best game I was at would have to be against England 91 great atmosphere

Kingdom
15/11/2006, 12:50 PM
My favourite Lansdowne moment would have to be a home friendly against the Czechs circa 2000. They had gone in front very early on, we were on a stupidifying unbeaten/winning home run, and it was 2-2 going into stoppage time.

Phil Babb, who for the whole 2nd half was a comedy of errors of John Candy proportions, went on a mad run upfield, culminating in him attempting an overhead which bounced off the crossbar. Robbie scored from the resulting corner and we were still laughing in Burger King an hour later.
Memories.

McShels
15/11/2006, 1:02 PM
Shelbourne winning the cup there against Dundalk in 92.

Sheros goal against Pats in the drawn cup final, best goal ever!!!

Enough Said!!!!

macdermesser
15/11/2006, 1:07 PM
Shelbourne winning the cup there against Dundalk in 92.

Enough Said!!!!

Dave Campbell's goal in the same game ;-)

Block G Raptor
15/11/2006, 1:10 PM
My favourite Lansdowne moment would have to be a home friendly against the Czechs circa 2000. They had gone in front very early on, we were on a stupidifying unbeaten/winning home run, and it was 2-2 going into stoppage time.

Phil Babb, who for the whole 2nd half was a comedy of errors of John Candy proportions, went on a mad run upfield, culminating in him attempting an overhead which bounced off the crossbar. Robbie scored from the resulting corner and we were still laughing in Burger King an hour later.
Memories.

Jaysis I'd actually forgotten that. Was a bit surreal alrite 45,000 people actually laughing at babb and looking at each other as if to say did that really just happen.

youngirish
15/11/2006, 1:12 PM
Surely McAteer's strike late on against the Dutch when we looked dead and buried after Gary Kelly's sending off is up there. Ah the memories.

Kingdom
15/11/2006, 1:15 PM
Jaysis I'd actually forgotten that. Was a bit surreal alrite 45,000 people actually laughing at babb and looking at each other as if to say did that really just happen.

aye my favourite moment anyway. Like, we all have the games that were brilliant and all that, but individual moments are what I remember.

Lionel Ritchie
15/11/2006, 1:24 PM
Stan scoring direct from a corner against the North back in 93. had the same gormless "I planned it that way really" look on his head that I suspect he'll have when we make hard work of overcoming San Marino tonight.

NeilMcD
15/11/2006, 3:29 PM
Spain 89, great atmosphere that day but a rubbisy match if you look back on it. We out fought them that day.

Billsthoughts
15/11/2006, 4:15 PM

Enough Said!!!!

probably was the best goal ever scored there...

DmanDmythDledge
15/11/2006, 4:35 PM
1. McAtter's goal against the Dutch.
2. Keano's comeback match.

Metrostars
15/11/2006, 4:48 PM
For some reason, my favourite memory is the Euro Qualifier in 1982 (24 years ago this Friday) against Spain, going 3-1 down and Stapleton scoring twice to tie it.

17/11/1982 Dublin Attendance: 35,000 Ireland 3-3 Spain
(HT 1-1)

Scorers: A. Grimes 2' (1-0), Maceda 31' (1-1), Martin OG
47' (1-2), Victor 60' (1-3), F. Stapleton 64' (2-3), F. Stapleton 76' (3-3)

Ire: J. McDonagh, J. Devine, C. Hughton, M. Lawrenson, M. Martin, A. Grealish (M. Walsh II 61), A. Grimes, M. Robinson, F. Stapleton, L. Brady, K. O'Callaghan

Esp: L. Arconada, Juan Jose, Bonet, Maceda, Camacho, Senor, Victor, Gordillo, Marcos Alonso, Pedraza (Martin 67), Santillana (Roberto Fernandez)

Noelys Guitar
15/11/2006, 5:36 PM
2-1 versus Holland..Daly and Lawernson. Wasn't even a full house. Hard to believe now. Other games would be the games against France 1-0 and 3-2 at different times. And 1-0 against Spain in 89. Actually looking back most of the games at Landsowne when Hand was manager. Great atmospheres and some great games against some of the top teams at that time.

Noelys Guitar
15/11/2006, 5:39 PM
For some reason, my favourite memory is the Euro Qualifier in 1982 (24 years ago this Friday) against Spain, going 3-1 down and Stapleton scoring twice to tie it.

I missed the Grimes goal that day by 30 seconds! That was a great match. Kevin O'Callaghan ran amok against the Spanish.

sonofstan
15/11/2006, 8:32 PM
Can't even remember who the match was against, but one of Kerr's early games in charge he picked Crowe and when all the subs came to warm up in front of the North Terrace in front of all the EL fans, there was a huge chant of 'Glen Crowe, Glen Crowe give us a wave' ....... he looked mortified but eventually managed a shy little girl wave behind his back...

DeNiro
15/11/2006, 9:28 PM
The crowd singing happy birthday to Niall Quinn when he broke the scoring record on his birthday v Cyprus in October 2001.

Another personal memory was the game v Liechtenstein in 1994. I was sitting in the South Terrace and some guy jumped the railing. Ran to John Aldridge, who was warming up, got down and kissed his boot. Classic. We were full of hope than campaign after the World Cup but unfortunately never made it.

The final home friendly games before we went away to tournaments always had a good atmosphere.

OneRedArmy
15/11/2006, 9:49 PM
Keih Wood scoring off a lineout move in the delayed Foot and Mouth International against England in October 2002.......

floatinghoop
15/11/2006, 9:50 PM
Terry Conroy's goal in the 2-1 loss to Italy, the first game I can remember. Brady's goal in the 1-0 against France. I agree about that 2-1 vs Holland, I really enjoyed that too. The late 70s and early 80s saw some great games, I'm afraid I never enjoyed our subsequent successes as much as seeing Brady and Giles do their stuff in midfield.

Seano
16/11/2006, 12:29 PM
2-1 versus Holland..Daly and Lawernson. Wasn't even a full house. Hard to believe now. Other games would be the games against France 1-0 and 3-2 at different times. And 1-0 against Spain in 89. Actually looking back most of the games at Landsowne when Hand was manager. Great atmospheres and some great games against some of the top teams at that time.

'2-1 versus Holland..Daly and Lawernson.'

I think it was Lawro that got both that day.

Seano
16/11/2006, 12:32 PM

and the famous Jimmy Magee quote after stapletons 2nd ' dead eye dick stapleton'

pineapple stu
16/11/2006, 12:37 PM
Have to go with McAteer v Holland myself. Though I've only been a regular at games for the past four years.

Also remember doing First Aid duty at Ireland v Portugal. Roy Keane scored the opener and myself and the random punter next to me started jumping up and down and hugging. Knocked my hat off me and into the East sideline terracing area. Had to reach down and tap some lad on the head to get it back.

Always liked Lansdowne myself. I don't agree with this "It's old fashioned, therefore it's an embarrassment" nonsense. Though I've no complaints about getting an extra 15,000 seats or whatever it is.

Jerry The Saint
16/11/2006, 1:59 PM
They struggled for a selection of highlights on the big screen last night. Some odd inclusions/omissions but the strangest thing was including Harte's goal from Ireland vs ISRAEL :eek: Surely one of the most frustrating games and nastiest atmospheres ever seen at Lansdowne:confused:

Calcio Jack
16/11/2006, 2:55 PM
My favorite memory was going to the stadium the day before we played Italy in 1971 to see the Italiens train... in those days there was no Sky etc and you only got glimpses of "foreign" teams once a year when the European Cup final was shown on telly... Italy had lost against Brazil the previous summer in the W/cup final so many of them were familiar to us.... but the thrill of seeing the likes of Mazzola and Rivera close up training was special for me... I didn't have enough money to go the game... after they finished training got all their autographs which I still have in my attic....

attended almost every game played there since and my best on field memories are :

(1) Rovers playing Brazil 1974
(2) Dave Langan kicking the daylights out of Maradona 1979
(3) Cathal Muckian goal for LOI against Liverpool
(4) Keano's performance's against Holland and Portugal
(5) Steve Heighways disallowed goal against English League circa 1973

Worst games

(1) Giles testimonial
(2) Swiss end of Mcarthy era
(3) Swiss end of Kerr era
(4( Last night's game

geysir
16/11/2006, 7:41 PM
I was at that Italy game, schoolboyticket for 2/6 I think. Touts then were the same ould ones who sold cheeky charlies. My first memory was the first game where the crowd rocked, against France in´77, Brady's goal and the pandamonium. The next one was Holland´80, Brady again, placing the ball for a free kick, a quick scan of the scene then the direct chip to Lawrenson's head for the winner.
Surreal memory was the redneck Garda band doing the can can before that game.

DmanDmythDledge
17/11/2006, 4:41 PM
Another good memory was walking down Landsdowne Road before the Czech game, expecting to be at a game with crap atmosphere and plenty of booing, only to be fired up by the sound of "come on you boys in green".

Noelys Guitar
17/11/2006, 9:48 PM
I was at that Italy game, schoolboyticket for 2/6 I think. Touts then were the same ould ones who sold cheeky charlies. My first memory was the first game where the crowd rocked, against France in´77, Brady's goal and the pandamonium. The next one was Holland´80, Brady again, placing the ball for a free kick, a quick scan of the scene then the direct chip to Lawrenson's head for the winner.
Surreal memory was the redneck Garda band doing the can can before that game.

I can remember watching that game on TV. I'm almost certain Dunphy was playing (or at least on the pitch!).

geysir
17/11/2006, 10:47 PM
Dunphy played in the game against Italy (in '71?), no more mobile than a wooden statue, worth a few boos if you were into that sort of thing.

Traps Cat
18/11/2006, 7:33 AM
Beating Bulgaria 2-0 at home in '87 - it was a must win game to stay in with a chance for qualification for Euro 88 - More noteable for Liam Bradys sending off for most people - but a more gutsy irish performance you wont see that often. Me dad bought three bars for a pound of a fella on the north terrace - Whole nut , Cruchie and a mars - i swear thats true.

Terry
18/11/2006, 8:09 AM
definitely my first ever visit to landsdowne with my Dad and watching Liam Brady scoring against Brazil

CollegeTillIDie
18/11/2006, 9:03 AM
My favorite memory was going to the stadium the day before we played Italy in 1971 to see the Italiens train... in those days there was no Sky etc and you only got glimpses of "foreign" teams once a year when the European Cup final was shown on telly... Italy had lost against Brazil the previous summer in the W/cup final so many of them were familiar to us.... but the thrill of seeing the likes of Mazzola and Rivera close up training was special for me... I didn't have enough money to go the game... after they finished training got all their autographs which I still have in my attic....

attended almost every game played there since and my best on field memories are :

(1) Rovers playing Brazil 1974

That game took place in 1973, and the Rovers team that night ,to those who did not know was effectively an All-Ireland team! It ended 4-3 to the Brazilians who were then the World Champions and were on a European tour that summer and played England and Italy during that tour too. Losing to the Italians and beating England.

My favourite Lansdowne memory came from May 1995, when UCD played Liverpool in our centenary friendly, 23,500 people went to see Liverpool play the First Division Champions as we were that time. Packie Lynch's goal from a free kick will live long in the memory.

pineapple stu
19/11/2006, 2:42 PM
Me dad bought three bars for a pound of a fella on the north terrace - Whole nut , Cruchie and a mars - i swear thats true.
Three bars for a pound in '87? Your dad was ripped off...

Irish_Praha
19/11/2006, 6:19 PM
Three bars for a pound in '87? Your dad was ripped off...

You could have gotten 15 chomp bars for that :eek:

Den Perry
19/11/2006, 8:59 PM
mine was meself and the brother busting some Scottish ****** with a can of coke after he spat in me face before the Euro qualifier in 1987...or was it 1986?

The Legend
20/11/2006, 5:03 PM
You could have gotten 15 chomp bars for that :eek:

Jaysus, a chomp bar... thanks for the memories!:D

SUB of the day
20/11/2006, 8:17 PM
The Dutch game, by a mile.Noise, passion ,colour, a run of heartbreak against the same opponents, Gelsenkirchen, Orlando, Anfield.Down to ten men, Roy at his brilliant best.The old stadium shaking....literally.The classic orgasm moment....cross drops to Macca....mass intake of breath...he shoots ...he scores.....aaaaaaaaaaaah.Honourable mention to the 3 - 3 game V Spain, my first game at Lansdowne.