PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer 7

joeSoap
14/11/2006, 8:19 PM
Just downloaded it (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/default.mspx). Looks good. Anybody else out there using it? Any advice or tips??

dahamsta
14/11/2006, 8:42 PM
Installed the beta, tried it for two days, got rid of it. Installed the final released, tried it for a day, uninstalled it and set Windows up not to install it again. Annoying crufty garbage.

A face
14/11/2006, 10:24 PM
We were warned about installing it in work for anyone, not for a few months anyway afaik. Haven't seen it myself. They are really feicin' about with the css stuff in the browser again apparantly.

tetsujin1979
14/11/2006, 11:39 PM
All our windows/virus/firewall updates in work are installed by a seperate program - not windows updater. During the week it installed a blocker for the internet explorer 7 installer.
Doesn't really bother me, I use Opera or Firefox, IE is usually the last resort

Peadar
15/11/2006, 8:06 AM
I've been using it for months and I think it's the business.
Press the alt key to see your normal menu options.
Type multiple pages as your default homepage and they'll all launch together when you start up the browser.
You might take a while to get used to it if you haven't used Firefox before. The usual suspects will slate Microsoft products, just for the sake of it. Make up your own mind.

Dodge
15/11/2006, 10:20 AM
Have it at home. Its OK. I have the "old" menus as I like my drop down favourites.

Peadar
15/11/2006, 10:44 AM
Your favourites will still "drop down" if you click on the star in the top left. the +star lets you add favourites.

Dodge
15/11/2006, 11:14 AM
I know. I just meant I prefer the old way. No biggie (although mine are bookmarks, not favourites - Bring back Netscape!!!)

Other features are handy. I never really got into Mozilla. Have never tried Opera

Mr A
15/11/2006, 12:29 PM
I like IE7, but Firefox 2.0 is still ahead, especially as it has a spellchecker! It doesn't seem to work on my laptop but on my desktop it's deadly.

Fear Manach
15/11/2006, 12:33 PM
Been using it since BETA 3, its been grand...

fanatic
16/11/2006, 11:10 AM
nobody notice prob with it then ?

when i go back to some pages i have to press F5 to refersh the page for the new stuff to appear !

also have to do the same when logging onto some websites

pete
16/11/2006, 11:44 AM
Converted to Firefox couple of years ago & i've had no interest in going back to IE.

finlma
16/11/2006, 2:03 PM
I can't understand why people persist with Internet Explorer when Firefox is streets ahead of it. Version 2 has also been released.

Don't bother with any IE and just switch to Firefox if you have any sense.

Mr A
17/11/2006, 2:39 PM
In fairness since IE7 came out the gap to Firefox has closed and to my mind only reopened at all with the release of Firefox 2.0.

I tried Opera for a while but didn't really like it.

DmanDmythDledge
17/11/2006, 2:50 PM
Got IE7 and have to say it looks class. I prefer the way it is now.

I'm not surprised that Firefox came up in this thread. Just wondering could someone explain why they think Firefox is better than IE.

dahamsta
17/11/2006, 3:59 PM
I'd prefer it if someone didn't. If you want to know the difference, try them both and compare them.

John83
17/11/2006, 4:27 PM
Microsoft have closed the feature gap, but I'll stick with Firefox for actually rendering pages according to web standards.

dahamsta
17/11/2006, 4:37 PM
I'm pretty sure IE7 is compliant to a same or better standard than Firefox. A lot of sites that were hacked to support v5-6 don't work in IE7 because of that.

I'm a Firefox user these days btw, so I don't want any accusations of fanboism.

adam

John83
17/11/2006, 4:50 PM
I'm pretty sure IE7 is compliant to a same or better standard than Firefox. A lot of sites that were hacked to support v5-6 don't work in IE7 because of that.

I'm a Firefox user these days btw, so I don't want any accusations of fanboism.

adam
I don't know about that. I know they've improved it, but I've seen tests that said they're still well behind Firefox (and a little further again behind Opera).

dahamsta
17/11/2006, 5:40 PM
Last reports I saw said it was near-as-dammit to CSS2 compliance anyway, dunno about XHTML. Perhaps they stripped out some compliance beforehand. I stand by my comment about rendering though, I've tried it and it mangles some sites (for the right reasons).

adam

John83
17/11/2006, 7:07 PM
Last reports I saw said it was near-as-dammit to CSS2 compliance anyway, dunno about XHTML. Perhaps they stripped out some compliance beforehand. I stand by my comment about rendering though, I've tried it and it mangles some sites (for the right reasons).

adam
It was shown to completely screw up on the acid2 test not long ago.

dahamsta
17/11/2006, 7:13 PM
Fair enough. Of course the only browser that passes the Acid2 test is Opera 9, and I absolutely hate Opera. :)

joeSoap
21/11/2006, 12:59 PM
Whats the acid2 test??:eek: :confused:

tetsujin1979
21/11/2006, 2:39 PM
Whats the acid2 test??:eek: :confused:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid2
It's a test to determine how close to the web standards a browser is by displaying a smiley face created using these standards. To date only a few browsers have passed it by displaying the face correctly.
Firefox comes close to displaying it, and IE mangles it altogether

GavinZac
26/11/2006, 9:46 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid2
It's a test to determine how close to the web standards a browser is by displaying a smiley face created using these standards. To date only a few browsers have passed it by displaying the face correctly.
Firefox comes close to displaying it, and IE mangles it altogether

the development builds of firefox 3 are passing it :)