PDA

View Full Version : Team named for tomorrow

Paulie
14/11/2006, 12:30 PM
Got this from Unison:

Given named in Ireland team for San Marino qualifier

13:16 Tuesday November 14th 2006

Shay Given is set to return to action for Ireland tomorrow night after being named in Steve Staunton's starting 11 for the Euro 2008 qualifier against San Marino.
Given hasn't played for two months after suffering a perforated bowel in action for Newcastle.

Elsewhere, John O'Shea and Steve Finnan have been named as full-backs for the Lansdowne clash, with Paul McShane and Richard Dunne making up the defence.

Andy Reid is back in the midfield alongside Kevin Kilbane, Lee Carlsey and Damien Duff, while Robbie Keane and Kevin Doyle will start up front.

Elsewhere, Clinton Morrison is a major injury doubt after going over on his ankle in training this morning.

Good to see Andy Reid starting in midfield, at least that's where I hope he plays.

frankbrett
14/11/2006, 12:34 PM
according to RTE

Lee Carsley retains his place in the
centre of midfield alongside Kevin
Kilbane with Andy Reid and Damian Duff
on the wings.

passinginterest
14/11/2006, 12:34 PM
More or less as expected, Reid has to play in centre, Kilbane has been horribly exposed in the position and Reid dosen't have anything like the pace to play out wide.

passinginterest
14/11/2006, 12:36 PM
If Staunton is learning anythind surely Kilbane has to be on the wing. Against the Czech's it proved that this is the only position he can play. Please Stan prove you learned something...

Irish_Praha
14/11/2006, 12:51 PM
I agree from those 4 it has to be Duff and Kilbane on the wings, with Reid and Carsley in CMF.

If he's wanting to play Reid and Duff on the wings then Douglas would be a better option in CMF than Kilbane. As we are playing against San Marino I would prefer to see Duff play on the left and someone a bit more creative on the right than Kilbane. Although going on form and fitness this was probably the best option as McGeady and Stephen Ireland are not getting games recently (for different reasons) and Miller has had enough chances. I look forward to seeing a midfield of A.Reid, Carsley, S.Reid, Duff in the next year if S. Reid can find his club form again and carry it onto the international stage.

Kingdom
14/11/2006, 12:56 PM
Hmmm. Seems like John O'Shyte is in the team indefinitely. Douglas can feel hard done by for being dropped.

eirebhoy
14/11/2006, 1:00 PM
I don't really think it matters whether he plays Reid or Kilbane in the centre. Kilbane has shown he is capable of playing in the centre alongside an anchorman as he won Ireland player of the year in that position. Reid and Duff will just roam around the pitch I guess. If Reid is starting in the centre than great. I'm happy with the team.

Billsthoughts
14/11/2006, 1:10 PM
what the hell does the ireland player of the year show?
his games for ireland over the last 2 years have shown otherwise.

Dr. Ogba
14/11/2006, 1:15 PM
no huge surprises then, hopefully Reid will start in the centre as I think Carsley will deffo provide enough cover for him to play his natural game. Probably closest to our best team at the moment. Have McGeady ready and waiting at half-time if things aren't going to plan.

Hopefully Doyle can get up and running with a few goals as well, it'll be interesting to see if himself and Keane can operate well together...

eirebhoy
14/11/2006, 1:24 PM
what the hell does the ireland player of the year show?
Well most people thought he deserved it so it shows that he was a success:
http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=21762

He was excellent that year partnering Kavanagh, Keane or Holland - A proper midfield anchorman in beside him. I certainly wouldn't judge him in games partnering O'Shea and Ireland.

Of course I'd prefer Kilbane to play on the left (or not play at all) but I don't think it will really matter in this game who plays in the centre between him and Reid. Reid is not going to playing as a right winger either way as he likes to cut inside. SSN reckon he's playing behind the strikers but I think it's just a guessing game.

Stan announced the team the day before the Germany game. Everyone though S.Reid was a cert to play in the centre but I think he named the team to suprise the Germans. He didn't name the team before the Cyprus game, it was very predictable where they would play anyway. I don't know what to expect tomorrow now. :)

NeilMcD
14/11/2006, 1:24 PM
yeah good team but it must be Kilbane on the wing and reid in the centre.

Schumi
14/11/2006, 1:26 PM
The midfield was described as a diamond formation on some radio station this afternoon with Reid forward and Carsley back.

eirebhoy
14/11/2006, 1:28 PM
The midfield was described as a diamond formation on some radio station this afternoon with Reid forward and Carsley back.
Yeah, that's exactly what SSN said. I wonder if Staunton has confirmed this. I really hope he has as it would really suit those 11 players.

ifk101
14/11/2006, 1:29 PM
Would have liked McGeady in instead of Kilbane but after the latter's goal last time out, Stan was never going to drop the player that saved his job.

Schumi
14/11/2006, 1:31 PM
Yeah, that's exactly what SSN said. I wonder if Staunton has confirmed this.What's SSN?

eirebhoy
14/11/2006, 1:36 PM
What's SSN?
Sky Sports News.

elroy
14/11/2006, 2:24 PM
Ya diamond formation would be ideal imo. Carsley as defensive midfielder and reid as attacking midfielder.

I am a fan of kilbane's attitude and commitment but i think mcgeady should be in his place and play on the right with duff on the left. However, i do agree that if kilbane plays his best position is on the left not in the centre. He appears to have been playing quite well for Wigan there lately as well.

passinginterest
14/11/2006, 2:28 PM
Diamond Sounds like a decent option, I don't think Duff, Reid and McGeady could play together, might get away with it against San Marino but not enough strenght or fight to survive against quality teams. The four he's picked offers more in terms of ball winning ability, particularly Kilbane in the air. It's a midfield four that could survive against a better side and is more likely to be seen again in the future.

Fergie's Son
14/11/2006, 3:16 PM
This is San Marino at home so we could play a LOI XI and still win. Would like to see McGeady come on at half time if things aren't going well. Really though, we should be 2-3 up by then.

Student Mullet
14/11/2006, 3:20 PM
Is it a good idea to name the team this early? I remember McCarthy did it once and regretted it.

Suppose it's not critical against San Marino though.

as_i_say
14/11/2006, 3:30 PM
Hmmm. Seems like John O'Shyte is in the team indefinitely. Douglas can feel hard done by for being dropped.

i see im not the only one to call him that:D

gufct
14/11/2006, 3:33 PM
I can see The Star Front Page tomorrow "Fans Slam Stans Selection" by Billy Scanlan. Lads that is the strongest team we have McGeady always plays on the left with Celtic and I cant see him displacing Duffer.

Noelys Guitar
14/11/2006, 3:37 PM
Strongest team. Kilbane had to play as scored goal against Czechs (and played well). And he is playing well for Wigan. What we need now are a good performance and a lot of goals.

Emmet
14/11/2006, 5:05 PM
Strong team. 4-4-2 formation. No arguments with the selection. Hopefully a good performance and a few goals to give the team some much-needed confidence!

dr_peepee
14/11/2006, 6:19 PM
It's the form Irish eleven really isn't it?

I mean the Kilbane/Douglas argument aside the team picks itself.

I'm really interested in watching the Keane/Doyle partnership mature. On paper they should really compliment each other, if they play in their respective club roles.

The McShane situation should be re-asessed in Feb if he's not first team at West Brom by then.

eirebhoy
14/11/2006, 6:35 PM
McShane started at the weekend. He should stay in the team now.

shakermaker1982
14/11/2006, 7:27 PM
I got this spot on then in the other thread about mystic meg/stan. I couldn't see him dropping Kilbane and O'Shea.

Stuttgart88
14/11/2006, 8:38 PM
It's a fine line, but if KK plays CM and Reid wide I'll be steaming livid, but if KK plays wide & Reid plays CM then I think it's a good selection.

Eddie O'Sullivan emphasised the importance of form last week. Reid is on form in a central(ish) position at club level and KK is on form wide left at club level. Picking them in both positions makes sense, but if Stan sees the need to play KK centrally ever again then I'll despair, even if it is San Marino.

ramondo
15/11/2006, 12:45 AM
This is San Marino at home so we could play a LOI XI and still win. Would like to see McGeady come on at half time if things aren't going well. Really though, we should be 2-3 up by then.

I suppose only conceding 2 goals to San Marino in the first half wouldn't be so bad, on recent form...

elroy
15/11/2006, 9:03 AM
It's the form Irish eleven really isn't it?

I'm really interested in watching the Keane/Doyle partnership mature. On paper they should really compliment each other, if they play in their respective club roles.

Do ya think so? i'm not convinced to be honest, think Keane needs a tall striker beside him (Quinn, Mido, Berbatov), i think Doyle is quite similar to keane, not just in stature but will wait and see, they havent played enough games together yet to really judge.

galwayhoop
15/11/2006, 10:42 AM
Ya diamond formation would be ideal imo...

would it really though. i think that these marinonians are going to look to pack the middle of the park with either 5 in midfield or 5 at the back. would it not make more sence to play wider and try to get into 1 on 1's or even constantlyy switch the focus of play from flank to flank to try and create holes and then peenetrate. i just think that the diamond means you play a bit narrower and that will suit a weaker team looking to soak pressure as there will be less room centrally.

two wide men i'd say and get at them from the start.

shakermaker1982
15/11/2006, 11:48 AM
I personally don't think we need Kilbane for this game, it was a game Aiden could really shine in but Stan is Stan. Andy Reid has to have a free role tonight and hopefully slot some passes in for the two lads upfront (like he has been doing for Bent on a regular basis this season).

Billsthoughts
15/11/2006, 11:53 AM
Do you reckon Mageady, Kenny and O Brien have been made scapegoats for the Cyprus game? Does Staunton not have a mirror?

Jerry The Saint
15/11/2006, 11:57 AM
Great to see our strongest team picked at last (with a central midfield who haven't even been first choice squad members so far, but that's OK, hopefully Stan is learning and will eventually see sense over the Paddy Kenny nonsense of the past week as well). San Mourinho (as Gilesy calls them) will not enjoy the difficult weather conditions - I think we can win this!

DmanDmythDledge
15/11/2006, 4:32 PM
The team is fine assuming Reid is in the centre and Kilbane out wide. Hopefully JO'S will put in another improved performance.

gustavo
15/11/2006, 4:35 PM
This is San Marino at home so we could play a LOI XI and still win.

:rolleyes:

Billsthoughts
15/11/2006, 4:39 PM
This is San Marino at home so we could play a LOI XI and still win. .

I just dont think we have progressed enough under Staunton to take on a LOI XI yet...lets see how we get on against san marino first...