PDA

View Full Version : Worst ever FORMER City player

pete
03/07/2001, 6:20 PM
Inspired by mention of Kabia & Dobbs thought this worth a thread. Its been deliberately restricted to "Former" players so Noel doesn't hijack the poll ;)

Should have changed that to NOMINATE A PLAYER & then have a poll as couldn't think of any other long term players bad enough for the poll :( Although that young midfielder who "played" with CCFC for a month under Middleton & now in the Middlesborough squad comes to mind (but obviously not his name)

James
03/07/2001, 6:27 PM
why restrict the poll to those 2 players

what about Tommy "Fat boy" Gaynor or Paul "the womble" Wimbleton.....and there are countless others

but i'd go for Kabia between those 2

Neil
03/07/2001, 7:05 PM
Kabia definitely (the worst player ever to play football)

Paul Hague also deserves a mention.

joe
03/07/2001, 7:17 PM
Rebel, I believe that's the one and only Mark Summerbell. I remember quite vividly nearly choking on my pint one night when his named flashed up on the telly after scoring a goal for Middlesborough (think it was only in the league cup though).

sean1_3
03/07/2001, 7:32 PM
Dobbs was one of our better players when he played, why put him alongside kabia.

Neil
03/07/2001, 7:35 PM
Originally posted by sean1_3
Dobbs was one of our better players when he played, why put him alongside kabia.
I agree, he looked good when he did play. Obviously, the fact that Davie Barry hated him didn't help and so was never really given a fair chance to impress.

rebel yell
03/07/2001, 11:00 PM
I'd nominate Trevor Brooking who did a fair impression of a pudding and an expensive one at that. Was a good player in his day but u had to see him to believe him at Cork. I think he only played 2 games.:eek:

Jim Smith
04/07/2001, 8:42 AM
I always thought Kabia looked the part....right up to the point when he had to play ;)

Neil
04/07/2001, 9:58 AM
Originally posted by Jim Smith
I always thought Kabia looked the part....right up to the point when he had to play ;)
Agreed, Is it possible that he has made a 'career' for himself in football by just looking like Stan Collymore...

pete
04/07/2001, 10:11 AM
Thanxs Joe,

I remember also seeing him in the Middlesborough squad & even playing for him :rolleyes:

IMO he was definitely one of the worst players we ever got on loan. I thought he must have been playing out of position but no he still plays centre midfield.

When "appearing" (can't say he played) for City he was like a non-paying spectator in the middle of the pitch :D :o ;)

BTW can anyone remember the name of the big centre half we had in Bishopstown? He was about 6'4"+ always unfit but a crowd favourite?

joe
04/07/2001, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by rebel
BTW can anyone remember the name of the big centre half we had in Bishopstown? He was about 6'4"+ always unfit but a crowd favourite?

Rob Hindmarch???????

pete
04/07/2001, 11:25 AM
Pre-Hindmarch days.
In Bishopstown only.

Maybe it was Paul Hague? :confused:

Leonard
04/07/2001, 11:39 AM
Kabia DID score the MSC winner against Rockmount a few years back. At the end of the day, it was a shame we never saw how good either player could have been due to Dave Barry's abhorrance of English players (although the immaculately tanned Dobbs and the coloured Kabia probably did remind him of our hated English enemies of the early part of the century).
As for the worst players, step forward Dave Mawson. Played three, played crap in two, then scored two away to HFE on his last game. In my earlier days, I had a severe hatred of Len Downey, simply because he looked really crap. And what about every Nigerian that ever played for us - big bad Dom Iofra and the Cahair 4 from last season.

joe
04/07/2001, 1:02 PM
Originally posted by rebel
Pre-Hindmarch days.
In Bishopstown only.

Maybe it was Paul Hague? :confused:

The Hinmarch comment was a joke1

Neil
04/07/2001, 1:16 PM
Mike Kerley?

pete
04/07/2001, 1:24 PM
Not Kerley either.

Was very big unfit English centre half! Name is on the tip of my tongue but without access to my old programmes don't think i'll get it :(

Maybe it really was Hague? :confused:

Pablo
04/07/2001, 1:45 PM
ah come on Lads, Damien O'Connell has to get a mention here. Dobbs was a classy player when he was given a run in the team, ithought it was unfair the flak he got

Conor B
06/07/2001, 10:18 PM
Cormac Cotter?

Stephen
07/07/2001, 12:55 PM
Certainly NOT Mike Kerley - he was one of the better ones - and he came back to haunt us with Kilkenney City in the F.A.I. cup not so long ago.:o :o

Gerry Desmond
07/07/2001, 2:58 PM
...was it Justin Phillips, famously sent off against Cobh one St Stephen's Day? I think Paul Hague might be just about everybody's choice in this category, however. At least everybody who saw him 'play'. He gets my unanimous vote anyway.
Gerry

Pablo
07/07/2001, 3:07 PM
i remeber Justin Phillips being a very popular player, he certainly gave everything whenever he palayed

Gerry Desmond
07/07/2001, 3:30 PM
Yeah, I agree Pablo. Was just suggesting his name as I believe he might be the player Rebel was wondering about...
Gerry

Pablo
07/07/2001, 4:57 PM
o yeah , now isee! He was definately the best "loan" type player i have ever seen play for City. All before and after were just a waste of time. does the words Steve Gaughan ring a bell.....

Captain
07/07/2001, 6:42 PM
Is it Justin Philips? English reject brought over by Richardson??:confused:

tonybooth
07/07/2001, 10:57 PM
Mention of Trevor Brooking reminded me, didn't John Hollins ( now Swansea manager ? ) play a game in Cork ? I recall him being at an insurance function at my club in Middlesex ( Harrow Borough, Isthmian / Ryman League Premier Division, two divisions below the Nationwide League ) a few years ago and he mentioned that he had played a game in Ireland in rather jocular fashion. Was this another one-off expensive propaganda failure ?

pete
09/07/2001, 10:10 AM
Cheers Gerry,
I think your correct on Justin Phillips. He don't think he was a bad player & probably had a heart like Dave Hill but he if he had trained he properly he would have been a lot better.

I'm sticking with Summerbell as worst ever mainly due to his "success" post-City ;)