PDA

View Full Version : DVD recorder

Paddyfield
13/11/2006, 8:12 PM
i've just convinced myself that I need a DVD recorder. (I could give it to the Missus for Christmas :D ). Any recommendations?

What should I look for in a DVD recorder? Basically, I need it for recording stuff like Eircom League Weekly which is on pretty damn late - I often go to bed at 10.30ish - or other stuff when I'm at work. How many hours of TV can I put on one DVD? It would be handy to record a few hours of cartoons for my daughter for when we are on our travels!

Any good websites for buying? Or will I just give in to myself and support those nice folks at Currys?

Closed Account
13/11/2006, 9:59 PM
The auld fella bought one in aldi earlier this year. No problems so far.
http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20061113.p.DVDRecorderDR5300x
Looks pretty similiar to the one in lidl at the moment. Could all be sold out at this stage.

dahamsta
13/11/2006, 10:11 PM
DVD recorders were dead tech before they went to market, HDD recorders are the way to go.

crc
13/11/2006, 10:34 PM
Don't buy Sony - mine went dead on me a while back after only 8 months.

If you have Sky, you should consider getting a Sky+ box. Although I resent giving money to BSkyB, they do offer a good system. Its basically a HDD recorder that's integrated with the Electronic Programme Guide. Just one click and I never miss EL weekly!

paul_oshea
14/11/2006, 11:41 AM
The auld fella bought one in aldi earlier this year. No problems so far.
http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages...ecorderDR5300x
Looks pretty similiar to the one in lidl at the moment. Could all be sold out at this stage.

thats a funny aul post, advertising it in aldi and giving a lidl link....i think my mother got the same one and is more than happy with it, though i dont think she does any of hte recording!!!

anto1208
14/11/2006, 11:43 AM
Problem with the sky+ box is you cant take your show with you , if you record a film you cant just take it to your mates house like a dvd .

i still wouldnt get a dvd recorder dvd's are on the way out .

media centre for windows now allows you to record live tv if you get a tv card for your pc . then you can wirelessly stream it to any thing that can pick it up ( xbox 360 for example ) or burn it to DVD .

mate of mine has a flat screen tv with blue tooth that he can watch stuff from his laptop with out any cables aswell class !! which means with one click we can watch any family guy ,south park etc etc no changing disks or plugging in scart cables !!

Peadar
14/11/2006, 11:46 AM
HDD with a DVD writer is the way to go, at the moment.

paul_oshea
14/11/2006, 11:50 AM
but sure everyone always says the later thing that isnt commonplace is hte way to go.....cds are still going for gods sake...

dahamsta
14/11/2006, 11:55 AM
Are they? I sold all mine on eBay.

paul_oshea
14/11/2006, 12:21 PM
Are they? I sold all mine on eBay.

exactly!

osarusan
14/11/2006, 4:09 PM
HDD with a DVD writer is the way to go, at the moment.

Agreed. Cost a bloody fortune though, at least over here, as analog TV will end in 2011.

crc
14/11/2006, 9:03 PM
Problem with the sky+ box is you cant take your show with you , if you record a film you cant just take it to your mates house like a dvd .
Well if I want a program to be portable I can easily re-record it onto a VHS, but I rarely need to take stuff around with me (though I can appreciate you might). The sheer convenience of Sky+ is its killer function. Now, I am pretty competent at setting timers, etc., but there is nothing that even comes near the simplicity of seeing something in the EPG and pressing a button to record it. I record EL weekly every week and am then able to watch it at a reasonable hour. The Sky+ box never forgets, or gets the wrong time, or selects AM instead of PM, it just does it.

Paddyfield
16/11/2006, 3:50 PM
Thanks everyone. Now I'm even more confused:rolleyes: