PDA

View Full Version : Fhm Editor Apologises For Hillsborough 'jokes'

Éanna
21/10/2002, 2:18 PM
football365.com (http://www.football365.com/All_News/Breaking_News/story_44371.shtml)

The editor of the Australian edition of men’s magazine FHM has been forced to issue an apology to Liverpool fans after they printed a series of sick jokes about Hillsborough.

Under pictures depicting the 1989 tragedy that claimed 96 lives, they printed supposedly funny captions that are worse than tasteless.

Liverpool fans in Australia were understandably distressed after reading the offending words in the piece entitled ‘World of Disasters’ and after receiving many e-mails on the subject, editor John Bastick issued an apology.

But the question remains of how the words were allowed to reach the printed page.

Under a photograph of hundreds of Liverpool fans being crushed against a steel mesh fence, they wrote the words: “Shoppers waited for the doors to open for the end-of-year sale.”

Under a photograph of a man with his hands on the cheeks of another man in distress are the words: “Yeah, your glands are really swollen.”

Another photograph of the Anfield Wall of Remembrance shows a mother and child pointing at the names and the caption reads: “Level four, lingerie and kids wear.”

Under a fourth photograph of people lifting fellow-fans into the upper tier are the words: “Get us a beer while you’re there.”

Alongside a picture of victims laid out on advertising hoardings are the words: “Pitch invaders: lazy.”

And another photograph of the crush was accompanied by the words: “The queue for the Bertie Beetle bag was rough.”

The volley of complaints to the editor of FHM Australia gave him no option but to issue an e-mail apology to all who had been offended by the captions.

He issues his ‘sincere apologies and deep condolences’ to all Liverpool fans and draws a comparison with the bomb attacks in Bali that have claimed so many Australian lives.

But his apology could fall short of preventing a boycott of FHM along the lines of the boycott of The Sun that followed their tasteless and inaccurate reporting of the Hillsborough tragedy.

Éanna
21/10/2002, 2:20 PM
that is disgusting. How they even dreamt they´d get away with it is beyond me. Surely they should be fined over this.

Macy
21/10/2002, 2:32 PM
Total disgrace, and I can't believe they thought they'd get away with it - there's bad taste and then there's just sick.......

However hard to have too much sympathy for the mickey's as the bin dippers have consistently abused United about Munich for years and years pre and post Hillsboro......

Schumi
21/10/2002, 2:42 PM
Unbelievable, what were they thinking?

fosterdollar
21/10/2002, 2:50 PM
sickening alright. However, got to accept the public apology as it is a fair means of payback i suppose.

Éanna
21/10/2002, 3:43 PM
Originally posted by Schumi
Unbelievable, what were they thinking?
There are some thing´s you just DO NOT joke about.

9pointdeduction
21/10/2002, 5:48 PM
shockin like. thats awful that is. someone should give him a good hiding for that like

pete
22/10/2002, 9:34 AM
Editor will obviously get the sack as he'd have to approve the pages.

Shed End John
24/10/2002, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by 9pointdeduction
shockin like. thats awful that is. someone should give him a good hiding for that like

Agreed, but, just one question. As a Liverpool fan (though not in anything like the way that I'm a City Fan), can I be the one to beat the living s**t out of him. There's sick and then there's this, which absolutely beggars belief. Glad though that he found out he couldn't get away with it, brainless f***in c**t.

Murphy Out Now!!!
McCarthy Out Now!!!

Éanna
24/10/2002, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Shed End John
can I be the one to beat the living s**t out of him.
yeah, that´ll really help :rolleyes:

Shed End John
24/10/2002, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Éanna

yeah, that´ll really help :rolleyes:

It will if it knocks some sense into him.:p
Besides, it would make me feel ALOT better in the wake of those disgusting comments.

Murphy Out Now!!!
McCarthy Out Now!!!

The Legend
28/10/2002, 11:58 PM
Sick..

... but we all know we have made jokes about stuff we shouldnt have ...

Don't stone that whore too fast!

fosterdollar
29/10/2002, 5:27 PM
but i guess the fact its in print is the problem

The Legend
29/10/2002, 8:42 PM
True..

... The editor must have looked at that and decided..

"The number of people who will find this funny will outweigh the number of people it will offend"

... but anyone who could come to that conclusion is a complete moron!

Shed End John
04/11/2002, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by The Legend
True..

... The editor must have looked at that and decided..

"The number of people who will find this funny will outweigh the number of people it will offend"

... but anyone who could come to that conclusion is a complete moron!

Agreed, a magazine 'article' like that was always going to cause MAJOR offence to a massive number of people. After all, it wasn't just Liverpool supporters who were appalled by Hillsborough.

Murphy Out Now!!!
McCarthy Out Now!!!

The Money Man
22/11/2002, 6:49 PM
Eanna, did the 365 article feature contact details for the FHM magazine? I think that we should collectively make contact and make it known that this carry on is simply appauling. Better still, the owners of the magazine should be made aware that nothing short of the editors resignation is acceptable.