PDA

View Full Version : Who would you like to see replace McCarthy?

Pages : [1] 2

Éanna
21/10/2002, 1:24 PM
What about Terry Venables, when he gets sacked by Leeds. More than likely he´ll be out of a job by spring, I think he´d be an excellent man for the job.

Schumi
21/10/2002, 1:34 PM
Went for Venables as the best of those listed. Brian Kerr could do well but I don't know if he'd be interested in the senior job.

Éanna
21/10/2002, 1:43 PM
I reckon Venables could do a great job. Think about it- he´s probably the best England manager since Bobby Robson (if not better) and he did a fairly good job with Australia, leaving a god set up for the guy who came after him. Kerr´s an excellent manager at underage level, dunno if he´d make the step up- and anyway, maybe better to have him where he is.

fosterdollar
21/10/2002, 1:53 PM
not sure if we could get Venables in time to restore confidence, etc. in team. We'd hardly be able to afford to pay off his contract to get him sooner.

Éanna
21/10/2002, 1:59 PM
wait til he gets sacked by leeds, than offer him the job- should available before summer I reckon.

Schumi
21/10/2002, 2:01 PM
As said in the other thread, could we afford him?

Éanna
21/10/2002, 2:12 PM
Originally posted by Schumi
As said in the other thread, could we afford him?

Dunno, but it would be worth a shot, don´t you think?

Schumi
21/10/2002, 2:14 PM
Could be good alright.

fosterdollar
21/10/2002, 2:57 PM
... is voting for O'Leary??????????? :mad:

Éanna
21/10/2002, 3:42 PM
Originally posted by Magoo
... is voting for O'Leary??????????? :mad:
He´s in the lead! OMG, I can´t believe that!

James
21/10/2002, 3:51 PM
think bigger names and outside ireland/UK

john toshack
roy hodgson

Macy
21/10/2002, 3:53 PM
Originally posted by James
think bigger names and outside ireland/UK

john toshack
roy hodgson

You mean like Welsh and English respectively???? :p

James
21/10/2002, 3:54 PM
no was thinking along lines of managers not just based or that have made careers i sasnach

ya longford ****** ya :)

Éanna
21/10/2002, 3:55 PM
Originally posted by James
john toshack
roy hodgson
Hodgson is a hero in Switzerland and was a disaster at Blackburn, so that doesn´t exactly sway me either way.

Toshack is regarded as Mister Fix-it in Spain- dunno where he is now but I wouldn´t be a huge admirer of his.

Maybe Eriksson will resign when the Ulrika book comes out and we can get him on the cheap :)

RamblersWeb
21/10/2002, 4:26 PM
Pat Keane :-)

That way there would at least be a seperation of the two top jobs :D :D :D

if the big plc's have to....

9pointdeduction
21/10/2002, 5:49 PM
Brien Kerr even if he is a dub

fosterdollar
22/10/2002, 9:29 AM
c'mon Brian Kerr!!!! i actually voted for 'other' but anything to see O'Leary get whooped. Ah, he's alright, he must be really used to it by now!!! :D

The Legend
22/10/2002, 10:26 PM
I voted Keane for the laugh...

... Mainly cause i believe he is the only person that would say....
... "Kilbane, you're ****e, you'll never see this squad again"...

But seriously i don't think Keane could take a managerial job for now.

Éanna
23/10/2002, 3:34 PM
Originally posted by The Legend
... Mainly cause i believe he is the only person that would say....
... "Kilbane, you're ****e, you'll never see this squad again"...

That would be an unnecessary, but typical kind of action from Keane. When will people get it into there heads that we don´t have 11 superstars, we´re a small country with a slightly better than average squad, and we happen to have 2 or 3 fantastic players- we can´t expect every player in the squad to be as good as duff!

James
23/10/2002, 3:46 PM
Originally posted by Éanna
we happen to have 2 or 3 fantastic players-

duff
robbie keane
roy keane

makes no sense with such a small pick of quality players not to have one of the best midfielders in the world not playing for us

whatever the faults and arguements from either side

if we want the irish team to do as well as possible roy keane must be a part of the irish team

Shelsman
24/10/2002, 8:26 AM
If Brian Kerr took over the senior post the underage set up would go to the dogs.

Real ale Madrid
24/10/2002, 9:56 AM
Joe Kinnear is the man for the job.

Dont know why everybody is voting for Brian Kerr. In fairness the job he has done for the underage setup has been incredible, but he has no experience with senior pro's and he probably would not be the right choice.

Kinnear is a proven man manager at all levels and would love the job, he would be the best man to get to spirit back in the squad which is what the irish team thrive on. The sooner McCarthy goes the better.

Shed End John
24/10/2002, 10:45 AM
I have to admit that I voted for O'Leary, mainly because U think he's the man most likely to land the job. He'd have to have learned from his mistakes at Leeds, otherwise we'll just find ourselves back at square one.

Murphy Out Now!!!
McCarthy Out Now!!!

nelo
30/10/2002, 9:20 AM
I want the job! I do really need the money and I would be much better than O'Leary even if I don't have any experience whatsoever :0)

Éanna
30/10/2002, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Shed End John
He'd have to have learned from his mistakes at Leeds
why not give it to gunther altogether so :eek:

brine2
30/10/2002, 8:50 PM
Anybody but Terry Venables!

Éanna
31/10/2002, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by brine2
Anybody but Terry Venables!
wots wrong wiv our Tel? :eek:

brine2
31/10/2002, 9:06 PM
He's more worried about his reputation, his image and his shady business dealings than the actual results of the team. I know a Palace supporter who has nothing but criticism for the man.

Some even say Vegetables has a knack for dropping black players wherever he goes...

Shed End John
04/11/2002, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by brine2
Some even say Vegetables has a knack for dropping black players wherever he goes...

Good job so that they're in scarce supply at Leeds. :D

Murphy Out Now!!!
McCarthy out Now!!!

Seanie
05/11/2002, 8:47 AM
Realistically I can only see Brian Kerr take over in the immediate future - if the FAI have to pay out big to McCarthy they are hardly going to pay out big to a higher profile manager. I like the prospect of seeing Kerr in charge, but it is a gamble. As much as I don't like McCarthy and can't wait to see the back of him, his departure will only serve to increase the woes of Irish football rather than provide the solution.

Ideally Kerr could be the stop-gap measure which sees Keane take over in 2 to 3 years time and Kerr can return to the underage setup.

Éanna
05/11/2002, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Seanie
Ideally Kerr could be the stop-gap measure which sees Keane take over in 2 to 3 years time and Kerr can return to the underage setup.

Nothing ideal about that at all! Why the hell are people talking about Keane as manager? He has no track-record, and no experience- precisely what many of mccarthy´s critics were always complaining about. If he does become a manager and shows that he is good, then a future vacancy may be his for tha taking. We´ve suffered enough with a guy learning on the job already.

Wizzard
05/11/2002, 10:55 AM
Apparently it?s a done deal, McCarthy to Sheffield Wednesday and Toshack takes over.

Éanna
05/11/2002, 10:57 AM
toshack?! talk about going from bad to worse :rolleyes:

colster
05/11/2002, 12:51 PM
I think that a Kinnear/Kerr partnership would be quite good.
However, I think an interesting candidate for the job would be Liam Brady.
I don't know if he would be interested though.

James
05/11/2002, 2:59 PM
toshack .. mentioned on this thread by me

cant beleive so many muppets voted for o'leary

Shed End John
05/11/2002, 3:32 PM
toshack?! talk about going from bad to worse :rolleyes:

How do you reckon? At least he's vastly experienced and has a long and successful track record with some really big clubs. IMO he'd do a very good job for us if we could afford him that is.

Murphy Out Now!!!

Daxion
05/11/2002, 4:15 PM
Toshack is a waste of space, he chickened out of the Welsh job after, what was it 1 or 2 games in charge.

The Boy Tosser (Roy Keane) does not have the experience and I would refuse to attend a match if that F**King TRAITOR beame the manager. :mad:

Liam Brady could not handle the pressure of the big job, look at his track record with Celtic enough said.

Joe Kinnear has a dodgy ticker. :D

Brian Kerr is better off at youth level, he has done a fantistic job at bringing through the Duffs and Robbies, etc. I don't think he could handle the pressure of the senior team.

And now for the killer punch
What about BIG PHIL, he has got a track record and he is a winner with Brazil, and he is currently unemployed.

SCOLARI for the COACH

That would tick off the Cork/Man.Utd gobsh**e, he would have to learn Portuguese!!!!!

Shed End John
05/11/2002, 4:37 PM
posted by DAXION

That would tick off the Cork/Man.Utd gobsh**e, he would have to learn Portuguese!!!!!

Or Scolari might just have to learn English. :p

Murphy Out Now!!!

The Chief
05/11/2002, 5:03 PM
Why the hell would we wait for Venables to be sacked from Leeds and then appoint him as Ireland manager. . . it just shows the mentality of some of the people on this forum that we would hire a manager that was SACKED by his club for not doing his job properly after one season.

Éanna
06/11/2002, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by The Chief
Why the hell would we wait for Venables to be sacked from Leeds and then appoint him as Ireland manager. . . it just shows the mentality of some of the people on this forum that we would hire a manager that was SACKED by his club for not doing his job properly after one season.
venables is in a no-win situation at leeds. he has to sell players and improve results! never gonna happen.

Anyways, I can´t believe Toshack- what has he ever done. Really like. Yeah he´s had a few big jobs in Spain, but he seems to be the guy the likes of Real etc hire in between big managers. He´s a stopgap that´s cheap to sack.

pete
06/11/2002, 11:12 AM
Really like. Yeah he´s had a few big jobs in Spain, but he seems to be the guy the likes of Real etc hire in between big managers. He´s a stopgap that´s cheap to sack.

Yup, seems to have a record as Mr. Temporary Fix-it

:eek:

Macy
06/11/2002, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by DAXION
The Boy Tosser (Roy Keane) does not have the experience and I would refuse to attend a match if that F**King TRAITOR beame the manager.

Some fan you are..... won't attend cos of who the manager is..... Put your hate of one man ahead of your love of your country.... What does that make you? A traitor perhaps???? :rolleyes:

brine2
06/11/2002, 1:25 PM
What Tosh
For those of you unfortunate enough to miss out on John Toshack last night on TV3, here’s an extract from the post-match analysis of Newcastle United v Dynamo Kiev in which he pondered the merits of El Kaddouri’s performance:

"There aren’t too many coloured players in Russia, and, on this lad’s showing, there won't be many more."

Mediawatch doesn’t quite know where to begin with John‘s words of wisdom, so here are a few points in no particular order:

- Kiev is the capital of Ukraine and therefore not in Russia.
- “Coloured”?
- Are we right in assuming from his analysis that Toshack believes that because all ‘coloured’ players are ‘coloured’, they must all play to the same level?
- What are the odds on the words ‘Toshack’ and ‘Stone Age’ appearing in a Daily Express headline any time soon?

Taken from:
http://freeserve.football365.com/Fun_Games/MediaWatch/story_45412.shtml

Daxion
06/11/2002, 1:40 PM
Alright smart ass, the remark was on the spur, and I have a right to my opinion, and as you probably can gather I am anti Roy, because he let his country down.:mad: Mick McCarthy did not let his country down.

Let me throw a question in your direction.

Republic of Ireland games are the only matches that I attend regularly, I have missed only 8 of the last 26 matches (starting with the 2-2 against Holland). 7 of those were friendlies, the only competitive game was the away match with Iran. I have been to somewhere in the region of 100 games home and away, considering that Dublin is an "away" game for me, as I live in London at the moment.
I enjoyed Japan & Korea. I thought the boys done well. It made me really proud to be Irish in the Far East.

And Finally the question is.....

How many games have you attended over the last 15 / 20 years

I can produce all my match stubs

Éanna
06/11/2002, 1:47 PM

never mind this i´m a better fan than you cos i was at more games BO!!OX

fosterdollar
06/11/2002, 1:56 PM

never mind this i´m a better fan than you cos i was at more games BO!!OX

YEAH AGREED, if having been to every match was a precondition for being a 'true' Irish fan, we'd have a total of about 10,000 supporters. Ur some l@nger DAXION

Daxion
06/11/2002, 2:12 PM
alright hands up, a stupid statement:(

fosterdollar
06/11/2002, 2:15 PM
alright hands up, a stupid statement:(

no worries - all points made taken nonetheless:cool:

Macy
06/11/2002, 2:18 PM
Let me throw a question in your direction.

Republic of Ireland games are the only matches that I attend regularly, I have missed only 8 of the last 26 matches (starting with the 2-2 against Holland). 7 of those were friendlies, the only competitive game was the away match with Iran. I have been to somewhere in the region of 100 games home and away, considering that Dublin is an "away" game for me, as I live in London at the moment.
I enjoyed Japan & Korea. I thought the boys done well. It made me really proud to be Irish in the Far East.

This is bullsh*t arguement but I'll play along......

Basically this "I go more matches than you so I'm a better fan" rubbish is simply an arguement of finances. All that proves how much more money than me you have!!!! You admit you don't attend club football, so that's already several thousand saved over a season to put towards international matches....

Whoppee do - you go 7 or 8 matches a year, so that obviously means that you know more than me who on has been known to watch more matches than that live in a month, and it sure as hell gives you more right to express an opinion.

For the record I have been to every home match in the last 3.5 years since I moved home bar Portugal, Holland and Iran (as I couldn't get tickets for those games thanks to the corporates).... I'm only 26, so take out the school and college years when I was skint, you're basically left with the time since I left education which is....... the last 3.5years!

Mick McCarthy did not let his country down.

That's another matter of opinion.....

fosterdollar
06/11/2002, 2:21 PM
Originally posted by Macy
[B]
you're basically left with the time since I left education which is....... the last 3.5years!

... maybe i'm wrong but isn't life itself an edu-ma-cation???:D