PDA

View Full Version : Programme

Pablo
21/10/2002, 8:17 AM
Tough words in the Programme yesterday regarding the corner boys.........its hard to disagree with any of the sentiments expressed. Should those responsible for the taunting be banned does anyone think?

dalo
21/10/2002, 8:31 AM
what did the programme say?

Éanna
21/10/2002, 10:30 AM
Was that in reference to the O´Dowd incident or what? There was a bit of controversy over that, so I´m not surprised to see something coming up in the programme.

Colm
21/10/2002, 3:01 PM
Originally posted by Éanna
Was that in reference to the O´Dowd incident or what?
Yeah

Éanna
21/10/2002, 3:02 PM
what did it say? can´t get me a programme over here at all!

Éanna
21/10/2002, 4:03 PM
just read the article now. It was well-written and to the point. This behaviour can´t be tolerated, and as so many of us are sick of reiterating, the stewards need to stop scratching their asses and actually do their jobs. There´s plenty of us would be willing to help if we got some back-up from the club.

9pointdeduction
21/10/2002, 5:53 PM
most ofthem corner boys are total scum anyway. they´re always causing hassle. they should be given a last warning and then kicked out altogether- their only wannabe sheddies anyway

Casegrande
21/10/2002, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by 9pointdeduction
most ofthem corner boys are total scum anyway. they´re always causing hassle. they should be given a last warning and then kicked out altogether- their only wannabe sheddies anyway

I don't know why anyone would WANT to be a Sheddie!

The only thing I'd say about that article is that comments come from ALL parts of the ground during big games (especially against Rovers) which people probably don't really think about as they are shouting them. Things can be said in the heat of the moment.

It's also unfair to tar ALL the Corner Boys with the same brush.

This incident gets a full page in the Programme, yet, Moses' ten-year personal barracking of Pat Morley never gets a mention. ????????????????

A face
22/10/2002, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by Casegrande

This incident gets a full page in the Programme, yet, Moses' ten-year personal barracking of Pat Morley never gets a mention. ????????????????

I have to agree with you there, comments are made from other people aswell and it goes unmentioned, you cant have one rule for one and not for another.

pete
22/10/2002, 9:50 AM
Stewards should be doing their jobs & ejecting anyone heard making racist or abusive remarks.

Depending on the offense people can be warned & if caught again banned for certain length of time.

I'm not suggesting just picking on one person but if theres seen to be a consequence everyone will think before they speak in future....

Real ale Madrid
22/10/2002, 10:00 AM
What those corner boys are supposed to have said to O'Dowd was a complete disgrace. Banter is one thing but there is a line you don't cross. They should be thrown out. THere is the same problem in the shed, usually from little p***ks who care little about football and only go to the shed to curse and swear at anything that moves. The club needs to get tough and do somthing responsible about the problem. Anyway Moses' campaign was justified against Morley! :(

The Donie Forde
22/10/2002, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Casegrande

I don't know why anyone would WANT to be a Sheddie!

The only thing I'd say about that article is that comments come from ALL parts of the ground during big games (especially against Rovers) which people probably don't really think about as they are shouting them. Things can be said in the heat of the moment.

To be factually correct: there were several big articles (2 pagers)on the treatment Morley (especially) and other players got from home 'supporters' over the years. Obviously you're not a regular reader... :)

Donie

Schumi
22/10/2002, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by pete
Stewards :rolleyes:

Macy
22/10/2002, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by pete
Stewards should be doing their jobs & ejecting anyone heard making racist or abusive remarks.

Totally agree with the ejection and banning of people for racist abuse, but you're getting on thin ice with saying anyone making any abusive comments getting chucked out..... how many would be left if that was the case???? It's part of the game for supporters to abuse ref's, linesmen, opposition players and fans etc...... However, there is a line that shouldn't be crossed, and I assume that the O'Dowd stuff was about his bro, which is out of order.....

The Donie Forde
22/10/2002, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Macy

It's part of the game for supporters to abuse ref's, linesmen, opposition players and fans etc......[B]

...and that is written where? :)

I take your point about the thin ice, but I think that's really stretching things. The real problem is orchestrated, organised chanted abuse. Or certain Biblical characters with personal vendettas... :)

However, there is a line that shouldn't be crossed, and I assume that the O'Dowd stuff was about his bro, which is out of order.....

Yeah, that's what it was about, Macy.

Donie

pete
22/10/2002, 12:08 PM

Totally agree with the ejection and banning of people for racist abuse, but you're getting on thin ice with saying anyone making any abusive comments getting chucked out..... how many would be left if that was the case???? It's part of the game for supporters to abuse ref's, linesmen, opposition players and fans etc...... However, there is a line that shouldn't be crossed, and I assume that the O'Dowd stuff was about his bro, which is out of order.....

Yeah the line can be very thin better general football rants of anger & personal abuse towards players. Would think ejecting from the ground for any racist abuse to start with - if people come out with racist abuse on the spur of the moment probably better they not attend games anyway.

From a purely financial point of view I suspect newbie fans like the banter from the terraces/stands but will also be a line that turns people off going to games too.

The Donie Forde
22/10/2002, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by The Donie Forde

Yeah, that's what it was about, Macy.

Donie

Well, the above split quotes came out a bit arsenalways, Macy, but I'm sure you can read between the lines, so to speak...

Sorry bout dat!

Donie

niamh
22/10/2002, 12:33 PM
While I am not defending their lack of activity on the matter, how can stewards be expected to get involved when they get paid ****e and there are only a few on them sprinkled around the ground?
I doubt anyone making comments will leave peacefully and his mates will not leave it go easily either.

Éanna
22/10/2002, 2:13 PM
Stewards were being paid 25 pounds (which is whatever probably about 35 in that silly new money we have) which for (at most) 2 hours work is not bad at all- and they get to see the game. Of course the corner boys shouldn´t be the only ones held responsible for unacceptable behaviour, I have witnessed/heard it from all over the place, but the basic problem is there is no deterrent. Half of the fellows who get a kick out of spewing this kind of bile will have an even bigger laugh when they get a mention in the programme (not to disparage in any way the article) but they need to be stopped- not warned.

As for Moses, it´s been discussed before- he hs been a great fan of the club etc., and he´s a sound guy, but he went way over the top on morley (and mountfield IMO), but again the problem was NO DETERRENT. It was mentioned in a programme at least once, but more needs to be done. The club must stand up and be counted on this.

As for the Sheddies- we are the best :)

The Donie Forde
22/10/2002, 3:02 PM
[B]

As for Moses, it´s been discussed before- he hs been a great fan of the club etc., and he´s a sound guy, but he went way over the top on morley (and mountfield IMO), but again the problem was NO DETERRENT. It was mentioned in a programme at least once, but more needs to be done. The club must stand up and be counted on this. [B]

The club, for the first time, has a clearly stated policy about acceptable behaviour in the ground. It's printed in the Programme and, I believe, posted near the turnstiles. In a nutshell, unacceptable behaviour will not be tolerated by the club with ejection and/or banning as the options that could be taken against offenders.

The Chairman said his piece quite clearly on the subject last Sunday where (most) former Chairmen chose to ignore the problem(s). Significantly, the article in question 'A New Low' came from the Official Supporters Club, so they are also united with Brian Lennox. All sections of the club, it would seem, are eager to stamp out unacceptable behaviour/chanting.

Stewards, Gardai etc also have an important role to play in this. My feeling is that when 1 or 2 of the offenders are thrown out/refused admission the others will cop on pretty quickly. I don't think it's a major problem.

Donie

Éanna
22/10/2002, 3:11 PM
I agree with you up to a point Donie. The Supporters Club have been trying to combat this kind of crap for the last few years, and to be honest, when i was actively involved, we got no back-up from the club. I can´t and won´t comment on the situation now as I have been away too much recently to have a good grasp of whats going on behind the scenes, but as far as I can see, Lennox is much more "hands-on" than his predecessors.

BUT! That code of conduct has been up for months now, and all the while I´ve heard racist/unacceptable filth being shouted at games as stewards and/or gardai look on and do nothing. They have to actively stop this. It´s all well and good kicking a young fellow out for lighting a flare, or taking an air-horn off a ten-year old, anyone can do that, but someone has to stand up to the morons who come out with some comments that are frankly sickening. I´ve argued it out with people before for racist comments and all you get is "What ya gonna do about it?" or "Ya gonna stop me?" Well if I knew there was a steward/garda around who back me up on it/actually do something, then I would. But, much as i find racist abuse unpalatable, I won´t risk getting a slap only to see the offender carry on going to games with a smug "told ya so" grin on their face.

Schumi
22/10/2002, 3:25 PM
Originally posted by The Donie Forde

In a nutshell, unacceptable behaviour will not be tolerated by the club with ejection and/or banning as the options that could be taken against offenders.

But only if they're a group of 5 away fans causing no one any trouble.

What? Hold a grudge? Me?;)

Macy
22/10/2002, 3:31 PM
Originally posted by Schumi
But only if they're a group of 5 away fans causing no one any trouble.

What? Hold a grudge? Me?;)

You 5 should be banned anyway just for being so annoying, and esp for that U-C-D chant (which I add you always muck up by someone getting the letter's in the wrong order....)....

Hyland OUT
McCarthy OUT
Gunther OUT
UCD OUT

;)

Schumi
22/10/2002, 3:42 PM

that U-C-D chant (which I add you always muck up by someone getting the letter's in the wrong order....)....
Yeah, that chant even pi$$es me off. We haven't done that in a while. Seeing as it annoys you more, we might give it a special outing when you lot are up in a few weeks. ;)

Can't say I remember anyone getting the letters wrong except some of the intelligent kids you get in Tolka or Drogheda.

UCD OUT

The team are doing a good enough job of that so far.

The Donie Forde
22/10/2002, 4:18 PM

BUT! That code of conduct has been up for months now, and all the while I´ve heard racist/unacceptable filth being shouted at games as stewards and/or gardai look on and do nothing. They have to actively stop this. It´s all well and good kicking a young fellow out for lighting a flare, or taking an air-horn off a ten-year old, anyone can do that, but someone has to stand up to the morons who come out with some comments that are frankly sickening. I´ve argued it out with people before for racist comments and all you get is "What ya gonna do about it?" or "Ya gonna stop me?" Well if I knew there was a steward/garda around who back me up on it/actually do something, then I would. But, much as i find racist abuse unpalatable, I won´t risk getting a slap only to see the offender carry on going to games with a smug "told ya so" grin on their face.

I agree 100%, Eanna. The crucial thing now is, the club needs the back-up of the Gardai. I understand there is a new Garda involved in co-ordinating the Boys in Blue on match days. I'm told he's prepared to act. But it's really a case of club + Stewards + Gardai sorting the situation out [B]together[B]...

I wouldn't recommend any individual supporter to take on the messers.

Donie

Éanna
22/10/2002, 4:21 PM
right. thats good news cos the closest thing we saw to action from them up to now was the odd scrath of their itchy arses.

Btw, it was never an individual thing. It was a case of 2/3/4 people turning round to the moron(s) in question and saying "shut up" or some such.

Neil
22/10/2002, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Conor74

They should put the phone number of that burger van on the programmes, you know, in case anything happens, because there's always about 3 Gardai huddled beside it in their lovely luminous yellow tops...

Nice one! :D

And I've seen that "main steward guy" (You know the guy with the walky talky and has a greeny long coat) standing inside in a chipvan outside Turners Cross during a game!

What the **** is he getting paid 50 euro for?

Pablo
25/10/2002, 10:44 AM
all jokes aside, i'm sure any decent PERSON let alone City fan would take great joy in those scumbags being banned for life. that incident made my stomach churn.

Shed End John
25/10/2002, 1:08 PM
Originally posted by Real ale Madrid
Anyway Moses' campaign was justified against Morley! :(

Says you. Talk about goddamn hypocrisy.:mad:

Murphy Out Now!!!
McCarthy Out Now!!!

Éanna
25/10/2002, 2:01 PM
Originally posted by Pablo
all jokes aside, i'm sure any decent PERSON let alone City fan would take great joy in those scumbags being banned for life. that incident made my stomach churn.
yeah. that just about sums it up.