View Full Version : one nil city

Éanna
20/10/2002, 3:59 PM
All over. Not a great match by the sounds of it, but a win is a win. :D

The Donie Forde
20/10/2002, 6:15 PM
Originally posted by Éanna
Not a great match by the sounds of it

a mild understatement! conditions were dire though to be fair.

Donie

Colm
20/10/2002, 8:22 PM
Not much to say about it really.
It was a boring match.
poor performance but that can be attributed to the conditions.
worst crowd and atmosphere for quite a while.

Neil
21/10/2002, 4:04 AM
Atmosphere was non-existant. Corner Boys tried to get things going but that was it.

Was it just because of the lack of atmosphere or am I right in thinking that they have sorted out the tannoy in the Shed? It definitely seemed louder.

Fair play to the ground staff because even though it was raining for most of yesterday and all through the game the pitch didn't cut up at all.

City back on track. Liam Murphy IN :rolleyes:

dalo
21/10/2002, 8:37 AM
i came down to Cork on friday night with the intenetaion of seeing the game. I saw the weather sunday morning realised I'd be soaked going the game soaked going to the station soaked coming out of the heuston and soaked getting to my gaffe in Beaumont so I thought feck that and stayed in the bed.

In the circustamances the win is the most important thing. 2 tough games coming up.

Bit worried about O'Flynn's goal scoring drying up. I saw the two sitters he missed against Derry last week. A bit worrying.

Éanna
21/10/2002, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by dalo
i came down to Cork on friday night with the intenetaion of seeing the game. I saw the weather sunday morning realised I'd be soaked going the game soaked going to the station soaked coming out of the heuston and soaked getting to my gaffe in Beaumont so I thought feck that and stayed in the bed.
sunshine supporter :p :D

niamh
21/10/2002, 2:15 PM
In fairness the pitch has been getting better and better in recent seasons, unlike Tolka which by all accounts might not be playable for the final next weekend. The story in the Indo has the FAI giving out that the teams went ahead and played the match anyway.

Éanna
21/10/2002, 2:40 PM
Originally posted by niamh
In fairness the pitch has been getting better and better in recent seasons, unlike Tolka which by all accounts might not be playable for the final next weekend. The story in the Indo has the FAI giving out that the teams went ahead and played the match anyway.
I was listening to that sunday sports how thingy on RTE Radio 1, and they the ref decided before the game to have a pitch inspection before kick off and at half time to see if the game could finish! Surely if it was that dodgy, it should have been called off. Anyway, it´s not as if the tweo teams had far to travel. It would have been different if City or Derry or someone had travelled the length of the country to play.

Counting Crow
21/10/2002, 10:01 PM
Time to give the lads some credit.

Crap game, desperate weather, no atmosphere but they knuckled down and ground out a win.

Make no mistake, this was an important result. With Bohs dropping 2 points and our game in hand we could be just 8 points behind them soon.

Add in the fact that we have them down here in a few weeks time.... then who knows?

If they had drawn or lost we would have been all over them....so here's to George's toe poke and 3 points.
On days like yesterday it's the result that counts.

Dricky
22/10/2002, 8:12 AM
Make no mistake, this was an important result. With Bohs dropping 2 points and our game in hand we could be just 8 points behind them soon.

I have to agree with counting crow in a way. I don't think we have to worry about Bohs, they are not that far ahead and they have a lot of Derby matches left in winter which will be slogging matches in mud bath such as tolka, I thought Kenny was a good manager but I'm beginning to think that he can't get the performances out of Bohs they started well continued well, they are 8 points ahead because of Cork City missing the chances away from home.

Murphy needs to get the team playing and winning home and away, I think CCFC could get a good run going but getting the back four keeping a clean sheet is what we need we already have the best keeper in the el, its time to show the rest of the country that "we are City from the cross"

lets see what the cardboard cut out is made from

Éanna
22/10/2002, 1:51 PM
Originally posted by Dricky
lets see what the cardboard cut out is made from
cardboard? :eek: :)

Massive result for us yesterday in fairness, hopefully we can keep this up now. I honestly don´t expect anyone to catch bohs, but we still have a shot at second place.

pete
22/10/2002, 4:25 PM
What kind of cropwd was there on sunday?

from glimpse on tv looked like 2k anyway....

joe
22/10/2002, 6:24 PM
Originally posted by Dricky

I thought Kenny was a good manager but I'm beginning to think that he can't get the performances out of Bohs they started well continued well, they are 8 points ahead because of Cork City missing the chances away from home.

while I don't rate Kenny as highly as most, bohs are undefeated and have played some of the best football of the season - they absolutely destroyed bray a couple of weeks ago so it will be interesting to see how we fare on friday night

Troy.McClure
22/10/2002, 7:25 PM
Ya but Bray were fecl<ed with injuries.

IMO Bohs wont be cought, there's no form teams near enough to them to do it, its just us and Shels that are that extra bit nearer them then the rest. If Rovers or Derry had better starts to the campane then maybe one of those, but I cant see it happening now. Anyway, it shouldnt come as a surprise, they have prob the best players in the country in their squad and they are all full time.

As for the match on Sunday, I thought some of the moves that City put together, especially on the break, were some of the best Ive seen in ages. The one where there was about 5 passes around the 6 yard box before Warren (?) had a shot was excellent. We were fairly unlucky in front of goal and their keeper had a great match, especially saving J'OF's shot after Billy 'dummied' ;) (or fluffed) it. As for the ref, shocking! :rolleyes: :(

Counting Crow
22/10/2002, 8:59 PM
When you are talking about a league like ours ( in fact any league for that matter ) there's nothing more certain than the fact that EVERY team will go through a sticky patch at some stage of the season.

We have had ours.

Bohs have not.

How many times has a team led from the start and ended up winning the thing at the end? Very few.

The Dublin derby's will have a major bearing on this league. Plus we have 2 games to play against them still.

You know something, I would rather be in this position right now because we have nothing to loose - watch the Dubs feel the pressure over the next few weeks, especially if they drop a few more points.

Muddy pitches........you gotta love them.

Neil
22/10/2002, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by pete
What kind of cropwd was there on sunday?

Says 2,000 on citynet. About right I'd say.
Top half of DF stand was nearly full (1,000). Half of Derrynane (500) and half of Shed (500).

Schumi
23/10/2002, 9:51 AM
Originally posted by Counting Crow
EVERY team will go through a sticky patch at some stage of the season.
Would I be right in thinking that Cork's sticky patch is everywhere in the country outside of Turner's Cross?

Éanna
23/10/2002, 2:44 PM
Originally posted by Schumi
Would I be right in thinking that Cork's sticky patch is everywhere in the country outside of Turner's Cross?
I think so, but you can check with gunther- he was talking about some jinx the other day:rolleyes: