PDA

View Full Version : Brian Kerr on "Tubridy Tonight" now

DmanDmythDledge
11/11/2006, 8:50 PM
Rté 1.

onenilgameover
12/11/2006, 12:33 AM
Did he say ''I regret nothing, excepts for the results'' that was a classic. he should bring that back into his reprotoire. defo get him another job :rolleyes: :mad:

drummerboy
12/11/2006, 12:57 AM
He came across well. He seemed very laid back and relaxed and in quite a jovial mood. He burst into laughter when he said Stan had the full backing of his employers.

Billsthoughts
12/11/2006, 12:31 PM
yeah I think he came accross very well. he seems to have something resembling a personality unlike the present incumbrent.

eirebhoy
12/11/2006, 5:07 PM
Did he say ''I regret nothing, excepts for the results'' that was a classic. he should bring that back into his reprotoire. defo get him another job :rolleyes: :mad:
I also found it funny when he mentioned that San Marino had conceded 13 goals and 7 goals in their last 2 games. Tubridy said "they lost 13-0 against Germany, who were the other 7 against?". Kerr: "I don't know, I don't really follow it that much these days". :D

sligoman
12/11/2006, 10:31 PM
It's repeated tonight at 12:30am if anyone who missed it wants to watch it!

OwlsFan
13/11/2006, 10:14 AM
yeah I think he came accross very well. he seems to have something resembling a personality unlike the present incumbrent.

He wasn't asked anything that could resemble a difficult question by Tubridy and in fact the opposite was the case so it was easy to come across well.

Wouldn't worry about Stan's personality or apparent lack of it. Ferguson's void of personality hasn't exactly hindered Man U.

eirebhoy
13/11/2006, 10:27 AM
He wasn't asked anything that could resemble a difficult question by Tubridy and in fact the opposite was the case so it was easy to come across well.
What would you have asked so? :)

As for Ferguson, he seems a really decent man to me. Always smiling these days.

Billsthoughts
13/11/2006, 11:21 AM

Wouldn't worry about Stan's personality or apparent lack of it. Ferguson's void of personality hasn't exactly hindered Man U.

I dont know what kind of questions you would expect on a light entertainment show?
I dont worry bout Stauntons lack of personality but I do cringe everytime I see him being interviewed.....or him being in the vicinity when someone else is being interviewed a la ray houghton...
I dont know what you are talking about in relation to Ferguson.

John83
13/11/2006, 11:48 AM
I've been impressed by how hard he's tried not to criticise Stan. He's had every oppertunity to be bitter, dig the knife in, but he's held back. You've got to respect that.

wws
13/11/2006, 12:01 PM
I tried to give stan the benefit of the doubt - buts its quite clear he's not a footballing brain - and is quite inarticulate - niether of which augur well for getting any kind of message across other thn "put em under pressah"

John83
13/11/2006, 12:08 PM
I tried to give stan the benefit of the doubt - buts its quite clear he's not a footballing brain - and is quite inarticulate - niether of which augur well for getting any kind of message across other thn "put em under pressah"
Football's not that complicated. Heck, Ferguson once criticised Wenger for relying on tactics too much - his point being that a settled, organised team with the right attitude and enough skill will usually do the job.

Anyway, that's beside the point. Kerr could very easily have turned on Staunton and put a lot of pressure on him, but he hasn't. He commentated on the Cyprus game, and he was on Tubridy, and neither time did he try to say "I'd have done that better."

Schumi
13/11/2006, 12:11 PM
Kerr... commentated on the Cyprus game, and he was on Tubridy, and neither time did he try to say "I'd have done that better."He didn't need to though.

Kingdom
13/11/2006, 12:20 PM
I hope he applied for one of the big jobs in the eL because it seems clear that he's not going to get a break across the water.

wws
13/11/2006, 12:23 PM
Football's not that complicated. Heck, Ferguson once criticised Wenger for relying on tactics too much - his point being that a settled, organised team with the right attitude and enough skill will usually do the job.

Anyway, that's beside the point. Kerr could very easily have turned on Staunton and put a lot of pressure on him, but he hasn't. He commentated on the Cyprus game, and he was on Tubridy, and neither time did he try to say "I'd have done that better."
who are ya tellin - im a firm believer that there is no such thing as tactics
but a smart man can pick the best 11 to do the job - a dumb person - will a)not pick the best 11 and b)spoof about "tactics"

OwlsFan
13/11/2006, 12:30 PM
What would you have asked so? :)

(a) Why do you think your contract wasn't renewed?

(b) Do you bear any animosity to the FAI?

(c) Were you surprised by the appointment of the inexperienced Staunton to replace you?

(d) If you were to change anything you did, what would it be?

(e) Why at 8 attempts do you think we failed to beat any of our main rivals under you?

(f) How did you manage to persuade Keane to come back and play for his country?

Instead it was all hail fellow, well met stuff. Admittedly, some of these questions may have been asked as I turned over half way through after all the cringe making mutual admiration stuff.

eirebhoy
13/11/2006, 12:54 PM
Well question c was definitely asked. He certainly asked a few questions along the lines of the above. He asked him would he take the job again and he certainly didn't say no. With regards question b. He said he felt hard done by after 9 years working for them and a cabinet full of trophies. He was annoyed that they used the rankings excuse for not renewing his contract when they only dropped 3 places under him.

Student Mullet
13/11/2006, 1:31 PM
(a) Why do you think your contract wasn't renewed?

(b) Do you bear any animosity to the FAI?

(c) Were you surprised by the appointment of the inexperienced Staunton to replace you?

(d) If you were to change anything you did, what would it be?

(e) Why at 8 attempts do you think we failed to beat any of our main rivals under you?

(f) How did you manage to persuade Keane to come back and play for his country?

Instead it was all hail fellow, well met stuff. Admittedly, some of these questions may have been asked as I turned over half way through after all the cringe making mutual admiration stuff.He was asked a few of those questions but Tubridy was never going to have a go at his guest. It's a light entertainment program, not a hard hitting current affairs piece.

geysir
13/11/2006, 1:58 PM
He was very nervous to begin with and just started mouthing stuff.
He has the idea that people think of him as a failed manager.
Came across very defensive :) with a few chips on his shoulders,
when talking about what he was doing, jobs on offer and his contract not being renewed.
Could have said simply we had some good games and some bad games over the past 2 campaigns and time for him to move on.
He didn't mention that we played okay against the Czechs. Some focus on the Cyprus debacle from Tubridy but Kerr didn't have the grace to acknowledge that we were desperately lucky not to be 3, 4 or 5 -1 down at half time last year.
Didn't really come out and say he wanted Stan to succeed.
I didn't get the feeling he cared all that much for the national team's progress, just cared for his his own hurt experience and his lack of active involvement with the team

adamcarr
13/11/2006, 3:40 PM
I hope he applied for one of the big jobs in the eL because it seems clear that he's not going to get a break across the water.
He's been heavily linked to the Cork City job by the new owners but the fans want Rico to stay!

wws
13/11/2006, 3:51 PM

factually incorrect - he's been offered a job "across the water" - turned it down - scotland

has no intention of applying for an el post and has been offered three since the FAI contract fiasco

OwlsFan
13/11/2006, 4:28 PM
when talking about what he was doing, jobs on offer and his contract not being renewed.
Could have said simply we had some good games and some bad games over the past 2 campaigns and time for him to move on.
He didn't mention that we played okay against the Czechs. Some focus on the Cyprus debacle from Tubridy but Kerr didn't have the grace to acknowledge that we were desperately lucky not to be 3, 4 or 5 -1 down at half time last year.
I didn't get the feeling he cared all that much for the national team's progress, just cared for his his own hurt experience and his lack of active involvement with the team

Only natural to feel hurt so can't blame him really. Tubridy reminded him that we won 1-0 in Cyprus and Kerr said "he got slaughtered for it by some people". I didn't really expect him to say we were blessed to get away with a win there but what annoyed me was Tubridy trying to do down the 5-2 by referring to the 1-0 when but for Given we could have conceded 5 that day as well. They were pretty much comparable performances but not results. But I won't open that old box again.....

He thought about taking a job as Indian team manager but had a look at the facilities and changed his mind. He was in for the South Africa job but didn't get it. He may eventually have to lower his sights to pay the bills.

NeilMcD
13/11/2006, 5:24 PM

Yeah thats why he goes to all the games as a supporter both before and after he got the job.

geysir
13/11/2006, 8:32 PM
It's been a year now, he needs to get a football job and move on with his life, he looks and sounds like he's twisted with bitterness and hurt.

Billsthoughts
13/11/2006, 9:42 PM
It's been a year now, he needs to get a football job and move on with his life, he looks and sounds like he's twisted with bitterness and hurt.

he doesnt look or sound like that at all! you want him to cause it suits your agenda but he doesnt which makes your last post one of the worst I have read on this forum..

Qwerty
13/11/2006, 10:20 PM

Managers rarely if ever criticize those that replace them, they may have running battles with other managers but once they leave a job under 'mutual consent' they leave it behind them.

When it mattered Kerr came across as irritable and secretive.