PDA

View Full Version : Kenny appointed Dunfermline boss

sligoman
10/11/2006, 9:10 PM
Dunfermline Athletic have confirmed Stephen Kenny as their new manager.

The 35-year-old Derry City boss is due to take over from current caretaker manager Craig Robertson for the game against Dundee United on 18 November.

Dunfermline chairman John Yorkston told the club's website: "Stephen has got a great track record and his achievements to date have been exceptional.

Read more (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/d/dunfermline_athletic/6138262.stm).

Disappointed to see him go. Can't believe he's leaving Derry before the cup final too:mad:.

dancinpants
10/11/2006, 9:51 PM
Can't believe he's leaving Derry before the cup final too:mad:.

Theres talk that he'll come back for the cup final in an advisory capacity. A poll on derrycitychat shows over 70% of the fans so far don't want that.

DmanDmythDledge
11/11/2006, 12:37 AM
Ah well he should have stayed for the cup final at least. Great manager- I wish him well.

EireBadBoy
11/11/2006, 12:59 AM
Obviously I'm perhaps speaking out of turn considering I wasn't at the St.Pats game but the over whelming majority of Derry City fans I know and judging by online polls (you do have to wait for the die hards to correct me) Stephen Kenny is no longer welcome at The Brandywell never mind the final.

It's not some sort of short sightedness, or pure bitterness - in fact, maybe it is....

Derry City have a Cup final coming up, I don't want the Dunfermline manager in charge, would you?

Derry City have a tight league run in, I don't want the Dunfermline manager involved, would you?

I'm an EL fan but I am emailing UEFA about this situation.

If he wants to manage a ****e team in Scotland, fine. I'm more annoyed about this whole attitude that he will come back for the cup final. No Stephen, you won't!! I'll make sure of it. I'll contact UEFA, I've already got the majority consensus of Derry fans and hopefully the showcase of the league we all love will not revolve around the manager of a Scottish team

RonnieB
11/11/2006, 1:56 AM
This is very bad form on his behalf. Surely he could have waited and held on till Derrys season ends.

nzamcdza
11/11/2006, 2:09 AM
Dont listen to eirebadboy, he is a lone voice in with the derry fans, we all want kenny to stay until after the cork game but most dont want him back for the final.

MrJoeSoap
11/11/2006, 2:10 AM
Sad that he would leave Derry on what appears at the moment to be bad terms. Best of luck, but you really should have stuck with Derry.

mypost
11/11/2006, 6:26 AM
Dunfermline are a basket case, and Kenny won't see out the season as their boss.

Very, very stupid move. :o Even Pat Fenlon turned down the chance to manage Scottish teams.

Terry
11/11/2006, 6:39 AM
Pity as he has a much better chance of accomplishing success at Derry than in the scottish league. The best he can expect to acheive at Dumfermline is mid table position with no silverware.

sonofstan
11/11/2006, 6:43 AM
Dunfermline are a basket case, and Kenny won't see out the season as their boss.

Very, very stupid move. :o Even Pat Fenlon turned down the chance to manage Scottish teams.

That's nonsense - they are a basket case at the mo. but if he can keep them up he's safe for at least another season

gspain
11/11/2006, 7:58 AM
I was at Richmond Park last night and Kenny got a suoerb reception.

Sang songs all night incl all the usual favourites and chanted his name at the end.

One bloody accurate on e too "They're just a small team in Scotland"

It'll be a real test of his managerial ability now given he has been used to working at a far higher level with a better calibre of player.

Kingdom
11/11/2006, 8:09 AM
I think what Gary meant was the calibre of players he is used to working with are those of the leading teams in the league, challenging for honours etc, as opposed to working with lesser players within a league where the team he's signed for are strugglers.

hoopy
11/11/2006, 9:06 AM
As someone says on our mb he's only going for the money so he needn't blame his move on the FAI's incompetence(yes we know they are but that's not why he's going)

OneRedArmy
11/11/2006, 9:11 AM
As someone says on our mb he's only going for the money so he needn't blame his move on the FAI's incompetence(yes we know they are but that's not why he's going)I'd say its a combination of issues but I'd say he'll double his salary at a minimum.

However, exposure will surely be a big draw. When we played Gretna we were on the back page of every Scottish papers. In Ireland we got 3 column inches in the middle of some of the papers.

Can't really blame him tbh.

bohs til i die
11/11/2006, 9:47 AM
Will Kenny be charge of Derry's final two league games?

dcfc_1928
11/11/2006, 9:49 AM
DCFC were apparently going to match Dunfermline's salary offer - so not all down to money.

As someone says on our mb he's only going for the money so he needn't blame his move on the FAI's incompetence(yes we know they are but that's not why he's going)

EireBadBoy
11/11/2006, 3:04 PM
I'd say its a combination of issues but I'd say he'll double his salary at a minimum.

However, exposure will surely be a big draw. When we played Gretna we were on the back page of every Scottish papers. In Ireland we got 3 column inches in the middle of some of the papers.

Can't really blame him tbh.

A group of Derry businessmen put together a package to better that on offer by Dunfermline, so it's not the money.

Totally agree that he will get more exposure and a chance to further his career though.

mypost
11/11/2006, 3:52 PM
he will get more exposure and a chance to further his career though.

A certain R. Collins once thought that.

MrJoeSoap
12/11/2006, 1:08 PM
A certain R. Collins once thought that.

? (http://dynimg.rte.ie/00003c8a0A8.jpg) Surely not!

gspain
12/11/2006, 2:22 PM
:rolleyes:

every time an el player or manager moves this chestnut comes up.

the SPL is a step down from Irish football this season of all seasons?

in our dreams

I didn't say the SPL was a step down. If Stephen Kenny had left to manager Celtic, Rangers or Hearts he'd be clearly moving to a bigger club.

Dunfermline are not a top SPL club. They are bottom of the league - one place ahead of Gretna.

Our results in recent years in Europe are far superior to those of the other Scottish sides

eg Dunfermline lost out to an Icelandic club when Shels knocked one out in 2004

Dundee United losing to a Finnish side when Drogheda put one out.

Shels stuffing Vetra home and away who comfortably put out Hibs a year earlier.

Which club from which league has inflicted a record ever home defeat on a scottish side in Europe?

Bohs also put out Aberdeen the previous time our 2 leagues met.

I think our top clubs are well ahead of the middle and lower ranked Scottish sides. I think Derry would comfortably dispose of Dunfermline if they met.

Billy Lord
12/11/2006, 6:21 PM
I didn't say the SPL was a step down. If Stephen Kenny had left to manager Celtic, Rangers or Hearts he'd be clearly moving to a bigger club.

Dunfermline are not a top SPL club. They are bottom of the league - one place ahead of Gretna.

Our results in recent years in Europe are far superior to those of the other Scottish sides

eg Dunfermline lost out to an Icelandic club when Shels knocked one out in 2004

Dundee United losing to a Finnish side when Drogheda put one out.

Shels stuffing Vetra home and away who comfortably put out Hibs a year earlier.

Which club from which league has inflicted a record ever home defeat on a scottish side in Europe?

Bohs also put out Aberdeen the previous time our 2 leagues met.

I think our top clubs are well ahead of the middle and lower ranked Scottish sides. I think Derry would comfortably dispose of Dunfermline if they met.

When you put our clubs' recent Euro performances in perspective with Scottish clubs that have bigger budgets, much better facilities and greater fanbases, it shows how remarkably well EL managers and players perform, despite the complete shambles that surrounds them.

CharlesThompson
13/11/2006, 11:18 AM
Kenny is going to the SPL because it is perceived to be a better league the the eL. He'll have a bigger shop window for himself to migrate into the English league in the future. He's a good manager and I wouldn't be surprised to see him managing a Championship side in England inside 5 years.

Sonic
13/11/2006, 11:46 AM
Theres talk that he'll come back for the cup final in an advisory capacity. A poll on derrycitychat shows over 70% of the fans so far don't want that.

What the hell you 70% on about. Dont tell me theres sour grapes at the brandywell that kenny decided to leave. For god sake he has a young family and with the chance to give them the best that he can why woudnt he leave. I suppose he hasnt done enough for football in derry:rolleyes: . Some ppl are never happy! You should be delighted for him and hoping he does appear on the touchline for the final. I really think that wat he has achieved in football with Longford bohemians and derry is remarkable and i wish him the best of luck. Who knows later on should he do a job with dunfermline he may get a job in england yet.

Sonic
13/11/2006, 11:50 AM
It'll be a real test of his managerial ability now given he has been used to working at a far higher level with a better calibre of player.

Oh yes longford town were full of world class footballers when he took charge there werent they:rolleyes:

OneRedArmy
13/11/2006, 11:55 AM
What the hell you 70% on about. Dont tell me theres sour grapes at the brandywell that kenny decided to leave. For god sake he has a young family and with the chance to give them the best that he can why woudnt he leave. I suppose he hasnt done enough for football in derry:rolleyes: . Some ppl are never happy! You should be delighted for him and hoping he does appear on the touchline for the final. I really think that wat he has achieved in football with Longford bohemians and derry is remarkable and i wish him the best of luck. Who knows later on should he do a job with dunfermline he may get a job in england yet.Kenny's timing in discussing terms with Dunfermline is atrocious in fairness, but regardless most fans will still remember him very fondly.

However we now need to do what he did, ie put ourselves first.

There's no room for sentimentality and we have to move forward as a club.

Thanks for the last 2 years Stephen, but after Friday you'll be the manager of another club and I want people that are 100% committed to Derry City FC in charge.

Macy
13/11/2006, 12:56 PM
Be interesting to see how he handles the increased budget. I suppose in a Scottish context there is little expectation, so he could well be a success.

The second season in the Premier at Town, with a big increase in budget he didn't handle it too well - when he jumped ship to Bohs we were in the play off spot after a poor start to the season. Also at bohs, he got their biggest ever budget and didn't really perform after winning the league that first full season. At Derry, he's been successful with a team that, in pure budget terms, is producing at a higher level than you'd expect relative to others.