PDA

View Full Version : Connor in the Champion

red bellied
09/11/2006, 1:40 PM
Some interesting reading from yesterdays Champion, a section of his interview. Read it all here, you need to register though. http://www.unison.ie/sligo_champion/stories.php3?ca=94&si=1720655&issue_id=14868

As he spoke frankly about his tenure in charge at the Showgrounds, Connor revealed that he sometimes felt that he was “living in a goldfish bowl.”

“I have taken abuse on the streets, in letters to my office in the Showgrounds, on the club’s website and in telephone calls. I found that very difficult.

“There were also a lot of intrusions into my private life and a lot of innuendo and rumours flying around, not only surrounding myself, but the players as well.

“That put unfair pressure on everyone, because at the end of the day we were here doing a job, and doing it to the best of our abilities.

“Some of the abuse coming from the stands was also hard to take, but I believe I dealt with it all with dignity and that says more about me than those involved,” he went on.

“I think the genuine people accept that I have done a good job. After all, Sligo Rovers are now in their highest league position for eight years or more,” Connor added.

The manager told the players of his decision to resign at the end of the U.C.D. game, but said he had urged them to be professional and work to maintain the club’s present position

gustavo
09/11/2006, 1:58 PM
I dont know why he is bringing up abuse really , presumably he thinks the next job he has will be abuse free?

Redzer
09/11/2006, 2:30 PM
Abuse!!! I think of Don O'Riordan, Tommy Cassidy etc etc. The man hasn't seen abuse. But he has to come up with some excuse.
The most he ever got was a bit of critizism.

Guts&Glory
09/11/2006, 2:53 PM
OK Sean, Lets see those letters, tell us about the phonecalls.......wouldnt believe a word of it.

How likely was he to get abusive letters when we were doing so well? Novt very IMO.

Talk about making excuses to try and justify his resignation in the public domain, easy seeing why he is a PRO man!!

May the satan one fail at every club he goes to.

dublinred
09/11/2006, 3:00 PM
LOL :D !!! God bless him if he goes to Bohs , he got clapped off at the Brandywell when he should of been abused.

Red&White Rover
09/11/2006, 3:18 PM
I take back my UCD handshake at the end of the match! was that abuse Sean? :rolleyes:

Red4Eva
09/11/2006, 3:26 PM
after kildare 0-0 away last year the team got a bit of abuse but apart from that no1 has sed a bad word about him. such a lyin b**tard. he deserved to abused like f*ck for talk bout the bohs job in the papers but no1 said anythin. god(or satan, whichever one he answers to) help him when he gets a bad result or 2 at bohs

showgies
09/11/2006, 3:30 PM
Sean not being accepted by the fans was all his own doing.

He is not the first manager to resign from the Showgrounds, but I don't remeber such anomosity towards McStay, Sanchez, Cotterill etc......

If he can't stand abuse he is the wrong game. His definition of dignity seems to differ from mine.

Also, where exactly on the club website was he abused??

gustavo
09/11/2006, 3:40 PM
Im guessing by website he meant here , even though on the site itself when linking here it states :Please note that the message board is not an official forum and the club can accept no liability for views expressed thereon

Red4Eva
09/11/2006, 3:44 PM
on friday adolf didn't travel on the team bus with the players. on the way up he got a call from a reporter from the sun to talk about the bohs job. i dunno what exactly was said but the reporter was actually mctiernan using loudspeaker on the bus and mct told him who it was at the end of the call.

gustavo
09/11/2006, 3:46 PM
Is that what feo123 was keeping under his hat yesterday?

Red&White Rover
09/11/2006, 3:59 PM
on friday adolf didn't travel on the team bus with the players. on the way up he got a call from a reporter from the sun to talk about the bohs job. i dunno what exactly was said but the reporter was actually mctiernan using loudspeaker on the bus and mct told him who it was at the end of the call.

You are McTiernan, our paul McTiernan!...we were talking to Paul before the match and he was saying it was Connors last game, and you got the impression he wasnt too sad bout it either...

Midgit
09/11/2006, 4:42 PM
“I have taken abuse on the streets"

Abuse in the streets? I met him one day before the Derry leage game away (4-0) in the street and i asked him "Well Seanie heard you are moving to Bohs, is it true?" he stared at me for 2 seconds and i could see his face turn red as if it was awkward for him. He said nothing and continued on walking!
I would probly say that was what he was talking about!!! Abuse???

Shedzer
09/11/2006, 5:27 PM
he got the upmost respect until the trith came out about tap ups of players, going to Cassidy to help him at Bohs, lying to the fans, etc etc etc....

Lets just say, i witnessed a player that Sean like fairly drunk and clapping along to 'if you hate Seanie Connor clap you're hands' ....And i know The Stars can confirm this if you dont believe me for this too!

Rovers1
09/11/2006, 5:30 PM
“I have taken abuse on the streets, in letters to my office in the Showgrounds, on the club’s website and in telephone calls. I found that very difficult.

when did he get abuse from the website??

1 9 2 8
09/11/2006, 6:46 PM
If he dose join Bohs and doesn’t do well or if he comes back to the Showgrounds managing another club then he will see what real abuse is. The man brings it all on himself arrogant cúnt

Red4Eva
09/11/2006, 7:15 PM
if he thought the abuse he got when he was our manager was bad, he's in for a treat when we go up to dalymount next year. i've accepted it already that i'm gonna get myself barred from dalymount. any1 know where u can get pig's heads?? buy 6 eggs now&they should be seriously rotten by the time we play em

Fivesilver
10/11/2006, 1:02 AM
Just confirms that Sean Connor is not the class for the big time. If he's not big enough to handle a few morons abusing him from the stand, he hasn't a hope.
Letting himself get distracted well before the end of what was a pretty successful season showed a real lack of class and professionalism. He can whinge all he wants about not being appreciated, but he just showed he hasn't got the integrity or mental toughness to be a top manager.

dublinred
10/11/2006, 7:31 AM
Second game of the season next year should be Bohs away , can't wait....

shedhead
10/11/2006, 8:32 AM
"Just confirms that Sean Connor is not the class for the big time. If he's not big enough to handle a few morons abusing him from the stand, he hasn't a hope.
Letting himself get distracted well before the end of what was a pretty successful season showed a real lack of class and professionalism. He can whinge all he wants about not being appreciated, but he just showed he hasn't got the integrity or mental toughness to be a top manager"

spot on fiversilver. Another good thing about the Sean "no tactics" Conner leaving is that we will hopefully get our Raf back where he belongs.

Only1Rovers
10/11/2006, 2:12 PM
I take back my UCD handshake at the end of the match! was that abuse Sean? :rolleyes:

I shook his hand at after the UCD game and wished hime the best of luck where ever he goes next. I Take it all back.

DmanDmythDledge
10/11/2006, 2:58 PM
Second game of the season next year should be Bohs away
The fixtures won't be released for a few months.

Da Real Rover
10/11/2006, 5:46 PM
he has stabbed sligo rovers in the back and betrayed the clubs and the fans trust in him. this betrayal will not be forgotten by the fans.

DmanDmythDledge
11/11/2006, 12:35 AM
Sligo fans; do you still respect Sean Connor for the job he did at Sligo?

red metal
11/11/2006, 1:05 AM
"Just confirms that Sean Connor is not the class for the big time. If he's not big enough to handle a few morons abusing him from the stand, he hasn't a hope.
Letting himself get distracted well before the end of what was a pretty successful season showed a real lack of class and professionalism. He can whinge all he wants about not being appreciated, but he just showed he hasn't got the integrity or mental toughness to be a top manager"

spot on fiversilver. Another good thing about the Sean "no tactics" Conner leaving is that we will hopefully get our Raf back where he belongs.

Watch what you say tere bro!Some people on here seem to think raf is a first division player and we play a great style of football!

Bravo
11/11/2006, 7:23 AM
Sligo fans; do you still respect Sean Connor for the job he did at Sligo?

Of Course we do (well some of us!) he has to get some credit for the position of the club at the moment, but as you can see from the Forum we are all divided as to the extent of the Credit he deserves.
1. As a manager he was better than what went before him (DO’R) and brought the club back to where we feel it belongs.
2. Did he do a good job? Is the Club in a better position? Ok, we are higher up the table etc. but how attractive a prospect are we? With the budget he had did he do well or just bleed resources? Is there any money left?
It was easy to come into a relatively big club in the middle of the first division and improve them, now that the job seemed to be getting more difficult he Jumps ship. The next few seasons will determine how good a job he’s done. :confused: :confused: :confused:

foxfordred
11/11/2006, 10:05 AM
a dirty lying foul mouthed little scrote who treated and spoke to players like **** and now there aint one of them who isnt glad hes gone and i remember big banana telling me he would love to give him a good kicking

avvenalaf
11/11/2006, 11:22 AM
Yeah and of course Big Banana went on to greater things !!!!

Only1Rovers
12/11/2006, 5:14 PM
The idea of Connor bleading the clubs financial resources dry is interesting and could be part of the reason for him leaving (bar the obvious Bohs job).

sligoman
12/11/2006, 10:26 PM
I heard Connor ran up a bill of 6,000 euro in the Radisson hotel and now the club will have to pay for it.

red bellied
12/11/2006, 10:34 PM
I heard Connor ran up a bill of 6,000 euro in the Radisson hotel and now the club will have to pay for it.

I heard the same, he had people over from England. Dont see why the club should have to clear that little pr icks mess up. The Radisson have been good to Rovers, it shows goodwill on the clubs part though.

SligoBrewer
13/11/2006, 9:01 AM

i did too:mad:
pr;ck

Conor H
13/11/2006, 1:55 PM
Just to clear 2 things up.
I was talking to Raf for a while on Saturday.He hated Connor with a passion...no doubt.
But he will not be going back to Sligo next year.In fact he is sorting out accomodation for galway which he intends to move into after Christmas.

Redzer
13/11/2006, 2:42 PM
Raf has a fear of premier division football for whatever reason. It's a pity. But, he's probably better to stay in the first division.

Red&White Rover
13/11/2006, 3:23 PM
He hated Connor with a passion...no doubt.

there's a pattern starting to develop here!;)

most of our ex-players hated Connor. In the words of Banana " The mans an idiot."

Conor H
13/11/2006, 5:34 PM
Raf has a fear of premier division football for whatever reason. It's a pity. But, he's probably better to stay in the first division.
You must have mis read what i posted.Raf is staying with UTD.

there's a pattern starting to develop here!;)

most of our ex-players hated Connor. In the words of Banana " The mans an idiot."

Well in fairness it was us Galway lads who saw him for what he was at the beginning of last year.A Grade A spoofer.Looking forward to see who yee make manager.
Hopefully Dykes or Gorman.:p

Red&White Rover
13/11/2006, 6:52 PM

Well in fairness it was us Galway lads who saw him for what he was at the beginning of last year.A Grade A spoofer.

or maybe ye just disliked him because he was our manager and ye have an immmediate disdain for all things Rovers! I don't think ye were calling him a w*nker and trying to warn us by doing it.

1 9 2 8
13/11/2006, 7:40 PM
I think Rafs bird lives in Galway too another reason for him to stay down there

Redzer
14/11/2006, 8:00 AM

No I didn't. Raf and UTD will be in the FIRST division. ;)