PDA

View Full Version : Setanta Cup News

Sniffer
08/11/2006, 5:38 PM
To whom it concerns, there are details of the Setanta Cup for 2007 here (http://www.walkthechalk.com/eircom/tables/setantacup.html)

dcfcsteve
08/11/2006, 11:39 PM
Presumably, if Derry City finish in the Top 2 of the Eircom League, the Setanta slot provided in that way will go to the 3rd placed team in the league ? That press release doesn't clarify if that is the case.

Dodge
09/11/2006, 12:27 AM
Presume nothing in this league steve... (I think you're right BTW but wouldn't put money on it given the fools in charge)

Student Mullet
09/11/2006, 12:40 AM
I remember working it all out last year and the easiest way to look at it is that the 3 european teams and the league cup winners get in. If the league cup winners qualify twice it goes to the intertoto team.

dcfcsteve
09/11/2006, 12:58 AM
I remember working it all out last year and the easiest way to look at it is that the 3 european teams and the league cup winners get in. If the league cup winners qualify twice it goes to the intertoto team.

That's a sensible way of looking at it.

However - last year that philosophy was only announced after the League Cup - fuelling suspicion that the FAI were waiting to see who won the UCD-Derry League Cup final before deciding which way to opt.

Will be interesting to see if they feel the need to shift the goalposts again for next year to suit their own agenda.

Dodge
09/11/2006, 2:05 AM

Not neccesarily. From what I've heard, if Derry won the league and FAI Cup, Pats would get Europe but not Setanta (i.e only FAI Cup and League cup WINNERS qualify for Setanta)

Not gonna happen now in the FAI Cup...

Peadar
09/11/2006, 8:23 AM
As it stands, Derry have qualified for the Setanta Cup. IF they finish second or higher, the league place drops down to third.

pineapple stu
09/11/2006, 8:48 AM
However - last year that philosophy was only announced after the League Cup - fuelling suspicion that the FAI were waiting to see who won the UCD-Derry League Cup final before deciding which way to opt.
Not entirely true - it was announced on the morning of the semi-final, fuelling suspicions that the league were giving it as long as possible to see whether Shels were more likely to qualify through the league or the League Cup.

Not neccesarily. From what I've heard, if Derry won the league and FAI Cup, Pats would get Europe but not Setanta (i.e only FAI Cup and League cup WINNERS qualify for Setanta)
That's correct, from talking to the FAI.

harps1954
09/11/2006, 8:58 AM
That's a sensible way of looking at it.

Will be interesting to see if they feel the need to shift the goalposts again for next year to suit their own agenda.

Next season, the League Cup winners will play-off with the First Division Champions for a Setanta Cup place - according to the FAI's merger document. So the First Division Champions from next season will have a chance of playing in the Setanta Cup.

dcfcsteve
09/11/2006, 12:35 PM
Next season, the League Cup winners will play-off with the First Division Champions for a Setanta Cup place - according to the FAI's merger document. So the First Division Champions from next season will have a chance of playing in the Setanta Cup.

Good for teams and the First Division.

Possibly bad for the league - inevitably a First Division team will win such a play-off on occassion, which opens the risk of the EL not having its strongest reepresentatives in the competition.

You have the same risk with the League and FAI Cup winners - although their shot at Setanta qualification doesn't come from being the best of the weaker teams in the league.

Overall I like it though.

desaintsno.12
09/11/2006, 1:08 PM
why should the division one winners get in over a team in the prem ?? stupid idea IMO

Sniffer
09/11/2006, 1:14 PM
Agreed, bad idea. Surely it demeans the competition to put a first division side in; can't see the sponsors being too happy with that plan. It's the closest thing to an all Ireland League that we have - the IPL put their top 4 finishers forward; usually our clubs are of a similar status. The Setanta Cup works as it is, this would be a backward step. Is it definitely going to happen?

harps1954
09/11/2006, 1:49 PM
Agreed, bad idea. Surely it demeans the competition to put a first division side in; can't see the sponsors being too happy with that plan. It's the closest thing to an all Ireland League that we have - the IPL put their top 4 finishers forward; usually our clubs are of a similar status. The Setanta Cup works as it is, this would be a backward step. Is it definitely going to happen?

It is definitely going to happen. Remember, the First Division Champions would have to beat the League Cup winners first. Also, by the time the Setanta Cup kicks-off that First Division club would be a Premier Division club. Remember, the League Cup winners could be relegated and you would still have a First Division club in the competition.

I know this is a big IF, but if Shamrock Rovers had gone all the way in this season's FAI Cup, are you telling me that they wouldn't have deserved their place in next season's Setanta Cup. The avenues are already there for a First Division club to compete in the Setanta Cup (if a First Division club was to win either the FAI or League Cups).

The Irish League don't put their top four teams through - their League Cup winners and IFA Cup winners are in the competition.

Next season's First Division Champions will also be going into the 2008 Premier Division season with a lot more money in the bank. I think this season's champions get €25,000. Next year the prize for winning the First Division is €50,000 and I think each competing team in the Setanta gets €40,000 so the First Division winners in 2007 could be starting the 2008 season with a guaranteed €90,000 in the bank (if they could beat the League Cup winners). Also, with a minimum of three home gates in the Setanta, winning next season's First Division is certainly an attractive proposition.

desaintsno.12
09/11/2006, 2:00 PM
surely they should have the league cup winners play the 3 or 4th (which ever the case may be) placed team. achieving top 4 even top 6 is a far better achievment than winning 1 st div IMO.so what if you win the first division the team's in the prem have been more succesful by staying there

pete
09/11/2006, 2:07 PM
Unless Pats win the CUp then the top 4 in the League will get the Setanta Cup places as you cannot get into it by being a cup runner up. (Pity can't add that Uefa Cup rules)

I am hoping we will be involved again but the Setanta Cup could really do with some new teams in it to freshen up. Trips to Portadown were great but need new adventures.

Sniffer
09/11/2006, 3:23 PM
Early days yet, north of the border, but there are signs that three teams at least will be pushing the Big 2 and Portadown this season...you may get your wish .

pete
09/11/2006, 3:39 PM
Early days yet, north of the border, but there are signs that three teams at least will be pushing the Big 2 and Portadown this season...you may get your wish .

IL sides for 2007 competition already decided from their 2005-06 season. Same teams as 2006 comp.

Sniffer
09/11/2006, 3:43 PM
I know that, but I'm assuming you're expecting to qualify next time round.

BohsFans
09/11/2006, 10:21 PM
What happens if the league cup winner are the 1st division champions?

No play-off?

Will the IFA be doing something similar? Doubted, as grounds and standard would be awful.

David
10/11/2006, 8:19 AM
Unless Pats win the CUp then the top 4 in the League will get the Setanta Cup places as you cannot get into it by being a cup runner up. (Pity can't add that Uefa Cup rules)

I am hoping we will be involved again but the Setanta Cup could really do with some new teams in it to freshen up. Trips to Portadown were great but need new adventures.

Hopefully you will get your wish with a trip to Windsor, I wouldn't mind a few days in Cork. :)

Poor Student
10/11/2006, 10:18 AM
why should the division one winners get in over a team in the prem ??

To compensate UCD for relegating us.;)