PDA

View Full Version : Stan Passing The Buck

Pages : [1] 2

drummerboy
08/11/2006, 2:40 PM
From the indo

STEVE STAUNTON has claimed he was on the verge of including rising defensive star Paul McShane in the starting line-up for Ireland's horror show in Cyprus before advice from international consultant Bobby Robson influenced a change of heart.

The West Brom defender was subsequently drafted in due to injuries and suspension to play a man-of-the-match role in the 1-1 draw with the Czech Republic four days later, which led many observers to question if the Wicklow lad should have been included in Nicosia ahead of the out-of-sorts Andy O'Brien.

And Staunton admitted yesterday - while naming his squad for next Wednesday's European Championship qualifier with San Marino - that McShane was in contention to start in the 5-2 defeat to Cyprus, only for a rethink aided by input from Robson, who was recovering from brain surgery and missed the trip.

Impressed

"He (McShane) had impressed all week in training and was very close to playing in Cyprus but after chatting to Bobby Robson we went with our strongest back four," said Staunton.

"Unfortunately we all know what happened on the night and you'd swear the four of them had never played together in their lives, but that's life, you've got to get on with it.

"It went badly for our back five, and I'm not singling out any individual. I thought the back five as a unit weren't up to scratch but I've seen that Andy is back and played against Manchester United for Portsmouth.

"He's obviously doing something right so it's down to him. The more games he gets the better, for his confidence as well as everything else," he added.

McShane and O'Brien are included in the 23-man squad Staunton has named for the visit of the Group D whipping boys to Lansdowne Road next Wednesday.

Casualty

However, one high-profile casualty is Paddy Kenny, who missed the Czech game after keeping goal for the thrashing by the Cypriots. Staunton said yesterday that the player's well-documented personal problems had also been a factor in his exclusion.

Shay Given is back in the squad after his miracle recovery, although Newcastle boss Glenn Roeder says he will have to prove his fitness at club level first, even if the Irish manager believes it will take a "brave man" to stop the Donegal native coming to Dublin.

"Shay is looking forward to it. We'll assess him in training and see how it goes before we think about starting him," said the Louth man.

"Wayne (Henderson) has come in and put himself in the shop window by doing so well. I always said if people come in and take their chance they will be rewarded."

One youngster who will have to wait for his opportunity is Falkirk's Anthony Stokes, whose goal-scoring feats while on loan from Arsenal have taken Scotland by storm.

The 18-year-old missed out on the senior cut and was included in Pat Devlin's 'B' squad for the game with Scotland at Dalymount Park next Tuesday.

Yet there could be problems with his involvement in the game as Stokes is on club duty in a Scottish Premier League match against Hearts the previous night.

Another member of Devlin's squad with a similar dilemma is Kevin Deery - one of four eircom League players included - who has a crucial Premier Division match with Waterford United on Monday.

"We can just name them in the squad and whatever happens after that we will just have to deal with," said Devlin. "We want them here and that's it."

Daniel McDonnell

Peadar
08/11/2006, 2:43 PM
It was a decent central midfielder you were missing, Stan, you sack of bile!
He also says in that paper today, that San Marino will be no pushover. Is their no end to his stupidity!?

drummerboy
08/11/2006, 2:45 PM
Didn't know about poor old Paddy Kenny’s troubles until I read Stan's quote but its in the Sun, if it can be believed

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006480868,00.html

geysir
08/11/2006, 2:54 PM
No way is Stan passing the buck.
He is talking about the back 4 and complementing McShane and how close McShane came to being selected in Cyprus. Nothing more.

elroy
08/11/2006, 3:39 PM
And O'Brien getting himself back into the Pompey team!!! Reason was because they were missing 3/4 of the first choice.

Billsthoughts
08/11/2006, 3:54 PM
No way is Stan passing the buck.
He is talking about the back 4 and complementing McShane and how close McShane came to being selected in Cyprus. Nothing more.

I dunno about passing the buck but he spoke about his back four against cyprus as if it was beyond any input from him that they played so badly.

youngirish
08/11/2006, 4:09 PM
He should be passed his P45.

Is he not responsible for the team selection instead of an ill Bobby Robson sitting 1000 miles away in a hospital bed recovering from brain surgery? How would Bobby know how well they were getting on in training?

Not surprising Kenny's wife done a runner on him. After watching the Holland and Cyprus games it was obvious he couldn't hold onto anything.

John83
08/11/2006, 5:35 PM
He should be passed his P45.

Is he not responsible for the team selection instead of an ill Bobby Robson sitting 1000 miles away in a hospital bed recovering from brain surgery? How would Bobby know how well they were getting on in training?
Suggesting that keeping a stable back four was sensible, and if an old pro like Sir Bobby tells you to do that, you listen. I agree Stuanton should go, but not for listening to the voice of experience.

Not surprising Kenny's wife done a runner on him. After watching the Holland and Cyprus games it was obvious he couldn't hold onto anything.
Ooh, bitchy. :)

NeilMcD
08/11/2006, 5:36 PM

Comments like this are stupid. The guy goes in goal for Ireland and makes a few mistakes and you are making petty stupid remarks about his personal life.

eirebhoy
08/11/2006, 5:56 PM
I'm actually bewildered at some of the comments about Kenny. He wasn't that bad. 1 or 2 mistakes in 2 games. Everyone makes them. Steve Finnan was as bad as him in Cyprus.

Jerry The Saint
08/11/2006, 5:57 PM
Very poor from Staunton - pass some of the blame for Ireland's inept performance onto the guy recovering from brain surgery :( Don't see how picking McShane could have greatly affected the outcome of the game. In fact, the lack of protection might well have given his confidence a huge dent in his debut game.

"It went badly for our back five, and I'm not singling out any individual... but I've seen that Andy is back and played against Manchester United for Portsmouth... The more games he gets the better, for his confidence as well as everything else," he added.

:rolleyes:

pete
08/11/2006, 9:42 PM
Stan should keep his mouth shut. The more he speaks the bigger fool he looks.

Noelys Guitar
08/11/2006, 9:42 PM
San Marino will be Brazil come matchday. Why mention robson's input to a journo if indeed robson even suggested leaving out Mcshane. What is achieved by these comments? I notice "Stan" made no mention of his own tactics, substitutions etc.

Qwerty
08/11/2006, 11:17 PM
Ans here was me thinking Stan was the Gaffer? It is almost fun to see Stan trip over every possible obstacle and himself to boot. Rookie, rookie, rookie.

BobbySands
09/11/2006, 1:00 AM
Wasn't Robson on his deathbed when he made the decision to leave out McShane. It was probably a case of Stan standing over the bed saying "Blink yer eyes once fer McShane, twice fer O'Brien".

Get rid of the clown.

Stuttgart88
09/11/2006, 7:03 AM
Steve Finnan was as bad as him in Cyprus.
Nonsense. Finnan was miles worse!

Kenny actually made two crucial fingertip saves, one at 0-0, from a Finnan underhit back pass and another immediately after Dunne's equaliser, touching a shot onto the bar. I don't think he got credit for either but replays show he got a crucial touch in each case.

I'm not sure how he can be blamed for any of the second half goals but I agree that he failed to command his area well.

Who cares who's in nets against San Marino anyway?

Calcio Jack
09/11/2006, 7:50 AM
I think the point is not whether Stan should or shouldn't of taken Robson's advice, IMO the fact that Stan is now going public about how the decison to include O'Brien in front of McShane was reached is what's interesting... it smacks of yet again his poor decision making... ie by coming out with this comment he's (1) underminded Robson by appearing to "blame" him and (2) he's also underminded himself by creating the impression that Robson is making the "big"decisions. You can only have one man in charge and the book stops with Stan and thus IMO he was stupid to mention this as it only makes him look stupid/inexperienced etc...but hey what's new !!

Also his comments yesterday about San Marino been tough opposition... did he miss the fact that they recently lost 13-0....is there no end to his ability to speak crap

youngirish
09/11/2006, 8:57 AM
Comments like this are stupid. The guy goes in goal for Ireland and makes a few mistakes and you are making petty stupid remarks about his personal life.

I'm sure he reads these forum messages everyday and will be devastated. Grow up and try climbing out of your own ar*e. I thought it was funny.

NeilMcD
09/11/2006, 10:45 AM
I am grown up thats why I dont make petty personal comments about people I dont know.

Lionel Ritchie
09/11/2006, 11:03 AM
Stan should have a new form of Yoga named after him. One that entails putting ones feet in ones mouth and talking out ones hole at the same time.

As for Paddy Kenny/Sun story - I reckon I have a healthy predisposition when it comes to the Sun ...if it's in it, it's not true til proven otherwise.

Who cares who's in nets against San Marino anyway?

David Galtieri sure as sh1t wouldn't. He hardly still plays for them but, man if he does, we'd better be sharp for the opening 7 seconds. :D :D

citizenerased
09/11/2006, 1:11 PM
I concur with the point that staunton is a clown......

pete
09/11/2006, 1:54 PM
Whatever happened to "i'm the gaffer, the bucks stops with me..."

drummerboy
09/11/2006, 2:21 PM
Every game so far, our man Stan, has managed to confound us all, whether it be squad selection; team selection or his tactical substitutions. I wonder whats in store for us this time. I suppose leaving Kenny out was a surprise; but he then went and alerted everyone in Ireland about the guys marital problems. I'm sure Paddy will thanks his Gaffer

Stuttgart88
09/11/2006, 2:26 PM
I used to complain that Kerr's squad selections were boring & unimaginative so it'd be hypocritical of me to diss Stan's on the basis of surprises.

Some of the inconsistencies are odd alright, but on the whole I don't have too many complaints.

drinkfeckarse
09/11/2006, 2:50 PM
Whatever happened to "i'm the gaffer, the bucks stops with me..."

You'll hear that when we win a game.

greendeiseboy
09/11/2006, 2:55 PM
here's another one staunton wouldn't put stokes in the A squad because he reckons he's not ready - how then does that explain alan o'brien and terry dixons inclusion in previous squads - the man is a total tw*t and holding every football supporter in the country up to ridicule. get rid of the fool now.

tetsujin1979
09/11/2006, 3:09 PM
how then does that explain alan o'brien and terry dixons inclusion in previous squads

Maybe they were included at the time because there was no B games at that time?

drinkfeckarse
09/11/2006, 3:23 PM
...plus Alan O' Brien is very quick. I mean if that's not good enough for ya..

Jerry The Saint
09/11/2006, 4:07 PM
Everyone make sure to look at the San Marino player's eyes for traces of fear next week. If they're not s***ting it then Staunton will have failed the Delaney test for managerial competency and will have to go.:mad: :)

Billsthoughts
09/11/2006, 4:21 PM
odds on hamilton will mention the occupation of one of the san marino players within five mins of kick off....."and in real life he is actually a post man" :rolleyes: Will be very interesting to see how many we can put past these guys..Would have been a good idea to throw stokes in given he is on form.

Den Perry
09/11/2006, 7:44 PM

i cant believe you are criticising this comment....its only a bit of a laugh

Den Perry
09/11/2006, 7:49 PM
odds on hamilton will mention the occupation of one of the san marino players within five mins of kick off....."and in real life he is actually a post man" :rolleyes: Will be very interesting to see how many we can put past these guys..Would have been a good idea to throw stokes in given he is on form.

against cannon fodder like san marino stokes should definitely have been given a chance....i'm not saying keane or doyle should be dropped but he should be in the squad with a view to getting a game

Den Perry
09/11/2006, 7:51 PM
I'm sure he reads these forum messages everyday and will be devastated. Grow up and try climbing out of your own ar*e. I thought it was funny.

staunton will probably call chris tarrant up...seeing as he is resolving his marriage problems

Billsthoughts
09/11/2006, 11:46 PM

great post.
at last a bit of humour in the ireland forum

greendeiseboy
10/11/2006, 8:11 AM
Maybe they were included at the time because there was no B games at that time?

there were under 19 and under 21 games though. staunton hasn't a clue and till he goes we going to have to put up this cr*p.

Duffman
10/11/2006, 9:23 AM
....i'm not saying keane should be dropped

I am. I'm sick of watching him turn it on for Tottenham and then fail to reproduce in a green shirt. Doyle and A.N.Other up there for me. Maybe its the kick in the arse that Keane needs.

greendeiseboy
10/11/2006, 9:35 AM
keane should at least be dropped for the san marino matches - but who would take his place is the problem - i dont think we have any ready made alternatives at the moment - doyle is not the answer - morrision definitely isn't or lee for that matter - the younger lads aren't ready yet but at least we have some good talent coming through in that department if they can keep up the momentum - but i reckon that's a season or two away

Stuttgart88
10/11/2006, 9:51 AM
I think peope have to remember that Robbie was out of the Spurs team at the tail end of Kerr's last campaign, and his good club form only came during the period when we had no meaningful international games.

Away to Germany we could have had anyone upfront and they wouldn't have had a sniff at goal - the furthest up the pitch we had any possession in was about our half way line, and central midfield was utterly crap in both Germany and Cyprus.

However, in each game so far this campaign Robbie has had one clear cut chance - each with his head.

First minute in Stuttgart where he narrowly missed. Unlucky.
Late in the first half in Cyprus - cushioned header back across goal where he really should have scored.
Late chance against Czechs - great chance. Put off a bit by Douglas' jump, but he really should have anticipated Douglas missing it.

A more clinical header of the ball (Doyle maybe, he's an excellent header) would have scored at least two of these but that's what you get with Robbie.

He had no service whatsoever in our first two games and his all round contribution at home to the Czechs was excellent.

Playing AN Other just to prove a point isn't the right approach. Biting off your nose to spite your face. If you think hisattitude is wrong, a good talking to could sort that out.

Billsthoughts
10/11/2006, 11:45 AM
I think peope have to remember that Robbie was out of the Spurs team at the tail end of Kerr's last campaign, and his good club form only came during the period when we had no meaningful international games.

Away to Germany we could have had anyone upfront and they wouldn't have had a sniff at goal - the furthest up the pitch we had any possession in was about our half way line, and central midfield was utterly crap in both Germany and Cyprus.

However, in each game so far this campaign Robbie has had one clear cut chance - each with his head.

First minute in Stuttgart where he narrowly missed. Unlucky.
Late in the first half in Cyprus - cushioned header back across goal where he really should have scored.
Late chance against Czechs - great chance. Put off a bit by Douglas' jump, but he really should have anticipated Douglas missing it.

A more clinical header of the ball (Doyle maybe, he's an excellent header) would have scored at least two of these but that's what you get with Robbie.

He had no service whatsoever in our first two games and his all round contribution at home to the Czechs was excellent.

Playing AN Other just to prove a point isn't the right approach. Biting off your nose to spite your face. If you think hisattitude is wrong, a good talking to could sort that out.

I disagree. Stokes is scoring goals at club level he should be given a chance. Robbie is never going to score a load of goals. He is a talented footballer but not a great goalscorer. I'd drop him or find another role for him. He put a bit of effort in against the Czechs but he was in no way amazing. Effort should be the minimum requirement. What a player brings after that should determine whether he keeps his place in the team. I do agree we shouldnt be dropping players just for the sake of it but we do have 2 easy games coming up and we should try other options.

Stuttgart88
10/11/2006, 12:05 PM
I'm not actually that fussed who plays against San Marino. Given that Doyle has yet to score an international goal I'd definitely play him. I can also see the merit in giving Doyle & Keane pitch time together to form an understanding & get some confidence. They haven't played together since Stuttgart.

Dropping Robbie, not to make a statement, but to have a look at someone else or to try another idea is an option alright.

The unfortunate thing is that I'd bet Stokes will barely figure on Tuesday because of his Falkirk game on Monday.

But other things being equal, I'd prefer to see him get a full B game than a run out in the full international.

Eddie O'Sullivan was saying during the week that the "F word" was his most important selection criteria: Form.

If you applied this to the soccer team you'd barely be able to put a team out, or at best they'd all be kids.

Billsthoughts
10/11/2006, 12:11 PM
I think it should be applied a bit more to the senior team. certain standards of performance should be demanded. a lot of the players seem to play regardless of form(club) or the way they played in previous games. obviously alligned to a bit of common sense. Basically nobody should be guaranteed their place unless their form as opposed to their "name" makes them undroppable.

Stuttgart88
10/11/2006, 1:07 PM
I'd handle Robbie by a good talking to. He's unquestionably one of our best players. The last few seasons it's taken him until November to get going at club level (at the earliest). Unfortunately we've usually played at least 2 qualifiers by then!

John O'Shea on the other hand should be dropped. I'm more worried about the message that continuous selection sends to him than to Robbie.

I think O'Sullivan's words were to be taken in the context of a settled & relatively successful team. The only real choices this week were at no. 2 and no. 15 where the form players (Best & Depmsey) were picked.

I suppose you could say that if form was the main criteria of selection for Staunton, Carlsey would have played earlier, and maybe McPhail, Alan Quinn & Paddy McCarthy may have figured more, at the expense of O'Shea, Ireland, Miller and Andy O'Brien.

Hmm, reviewing that last sentence, if only Stan did use form as the sole basis for selection.

In Stokes' case form would be just one factor to consider though. Age, experience, managing expectations etc. would be others. As you say, you've got to align form with common sense.

Billsthoughts
10/11/2006, 1:19 PM
Again I think its only San Marino. Throw Stokes in and give him a bit of confidance. Am not saying he is suddenly the best player in the world cause he scored a few goals but he has scored a few and he should be rewarded.

Stuttgart88
10/11/2006, 2:00 PM
Fair enough, I can see the merit in that.

DmanDmythDledge
10/11/2006, 3:10 PM
Robbie is never going to score a load of goals. He is a talented footballer but not a great goalscorer.
:confused:

He is our all time top scorer and a proven goalscorer in the Premiership.

Again I think its only San Marino. Throw Stokes in and give him a bit of confidance. Am not saying he is suddenly the best player in the world cause he scored a few goals but he has scored a few and he should be rewarded.
I don't think we should mess around with the team just because it's San Marino. The players need to get used to playing with one another. It's important to have consistincy in the team selection.

Billsthoughts
10/11/2006, 3:53 PM
twenty odd goals hardly marks him as one of the most prolific international strikers around does it?
And he doesnt score that many in the premiership. and tends to go long periods without a goal.
And yeah we should be looking to try players against San Marino. They are utter crap.

DmanDmythDledge
10/11/2006, 4:18 PM
twenty odd goals hardly marks him as one of the most prolific international strikers around does it?
Best Irish around.

And he doesnt score that many in the premiership. and tends to go long periods without a goal.
16 goals last season.

And yeah we should be looking to try players against San Marino. They are utter crap.
If we mess around with the San Marino game it will cost us in later games.

Noelys Guitar
10/11/2006, 4:36 PM
We put out the best team possible. And that includes Keane who was excellent against Chelsea last week. He is still gettting into great positions to score goals. And we would have some neck putting out a "Carling cup team" against San Marino.

Billsthoughts
10/11/2006, 4:38 PM
look am not going to argue with you all day on this.
the Irish Goalscoring record was hardly one of the more unatainable records in world football.
He is a guaranteed starter in every game so am sure that helps when it comes to comparing his goalscoring record with other players. 16 goals last season and he was scoring very infrequently til xmas. 9 for stokes in about 5 games so far this season AFAIR. He looks poor for ireland and a lot of people have said it.
Saying he is playing ok and will come good I can accept(eventho I dont agree with the first part).
Saying he is Irelands record goalscorer therefore he should play is a load of me ********.

DmanDmythDledge
10/11/2006, 4:59 PM
look am not going to argue with you all day on this.
Because you know you're wrong?

the Irish Goalscoring record was hardly one of the more unatainable records in world football.
It's an unatainable record in Irish football.

He is a guaranteed starter in every game so am sure that helps when it comes to comparing his goalscoring record with other players.
Well if you want to use goals per game ratio Keane comes out on top again.

16 goals last season and he was scoring very infrequently til xmas.
16 goals is 16 goals. Sure he was scoring frequently after Christmas.:rolleyes:

Saying he is Irelands record goalscorer therefore he should play is a load of me ********.
I never said that's the reason he should play. He is a goalscorer- that's why he should play- and that proves that he is.