giving it a December deadline and then
I will step down in my present capacity
unless we are granted a lease in our
name.

'Basically I can't do it all by myself
and we need help, but none is
forthcoming and we cannot move the club
forward.'

So after Dublin City, we could be looking at the same thing happening in Limerick. What then next season? Two divisions of ten teams? What about the new club the FAI are seeking?

Red&White Rover
08/11/2006, 1:13 PM
bad news...hopefully things can be sorted out there.

Lim till i die
08/11/2006, 1:15 PM
bad news...hopefully things can be sorted out there.

I wouldn't hold me breath.

Suits the FAI down to the ground now, nice even 20 teams

NEVER trust a priest :mad:

razor
08/11/2006, 1:20 PM
The Blues were told by Fr Joe Young, a
trustee at the ground, in February of this year that he would grant them at
least a 25-year lease on the ground. Why hasn't he come through on this?

jebus
08/11/2006, 1:36 PM
Have Limerick95 or the Leader picked up on this story yet lads? The only why to get the Priest to sign over the lease is if there is a very public outcry about Limerick FC possibly folding so we need to get the Limerick Media to take their heads out of Munster Rugby's arse for once and offer some decent coverage on this

Lim till i die
08/11/2006, 1:41 PM
Have Limerick95 or the Leader picked up on this story yet lads?

Once again I wouldn't hold your breadth

The clowns at those *cough* "media outlets" are far too concerned with Brand Munsters pathetic attempts at overhauling the mighty Connacht in the Celtic League, not to mention Junior B Hurling and the like, to ever give a toss about our club :mad:

dcfcsteve
08/11/2006, 1:43 PM
Sounds like Brinkmanship by Limerick - and rightly so - to force Fr Young's hand on this.

I don't know any of the details, but would be surprised if they do go out of existence because of this. They're just looking to force his hand through rightful scaremongering.

Tenderloins
08/11/2006, 1:43 PM
Is there a future for Limerick in Hogan Park, given its location?

Lim till i die
08/11/2006, 1:46 PM
Sounds like Brinkmanship by Limerick - and rightly so - to force Fr Young's hand on this.

I don't know any of the details, but would be surprised if they do go out of existence because of this. They're just looking to force his hand through rightful scaremongering.

As has been proved down through the years though Steve tis a tough hand to force

He doesn't give a toss you see about anything besides himself, deeply spiritual person he is :rolleyes: :mad:

seand
08/11/2006, 1:46 PM
Is there no other option for ground sharing? I assume the local junior sides and rugger buggers aren't too welcoming. Sad situation.

Lim till i die
08/11/2006, 1:49 PM

At a time like this, that is so stupid it barely merits response

What do you suggest, moving 60 miles down the road to Cork and getting a big bandwagon rolling

Football clubs have been known to have grounds in working class area you know

Some of the snobbery on here is astonishing sometimes :rolleyes:

Do Derry have any future given where the Brandywell is located?? :rolleyes: :mad:

Lim till i die
08/11/2006, 1:51 PM
Is there no other option for ground sharing? I assume the local junior sides and rugger buggers aren't too welcoming. Sad situation.

Wouldn't be able to draw down ground improvement grants in a groundshare and as it is the only other grounds is Limerick up to liscening criteria are Thomond Park and the Gaelic Grounds

Pike Rovers were good to us but the vast majority of Junior Clubs in town will dance on our grave :mad: :(

jebus
08/11/2006, 1:51 PM

We could go back to Pike cap in hand I presume, but Drew has basically said that he is walking if the lease isn't signed, so we'd have to get new owners as well, which could prove difficult. We don't have the option of a Supporter's Club Trust to see us through this either given that you'd only get about 20-30 people that would contribute money to it, so basically barring any new owners coming out of the woodwork we need Drew to stay on

Lim till i die
08/11/2006, 2:08 PM
Shocking situation must i think it just goes to show how unhealthy the domestic football is in the country at the moment.

No, no it's just Limerick F.C. going down the $hitter

Apparently it's because we play on the edge of a corporation estate :rolleyes:

passinginterest
08/11/2006, 2:18 PM
[What about the new club the FAI are seeking?[/QUOTE]

One man has been leading a football revolution for a number of years in Wexford guiding the County's youth teams to 3 All Ireland inter league titles in the last six years. He has also almost completed a, from scratch, development of a state of the art ground just outside Wexford town. This ground contains two full size carpet like pitches, astro turf training pitches and a clubhouse/indoor training facility. There is also allowance made for the future addition of stands and other facilities. Would not be surprised to see a team backed by same man applying for full league membership. At least expect to see a Wexford team in the under 21 league next season. With the finances said person has and his footballing ethos and contacts in the game expect a very competetive Wexford side in the League of Ireland in the near future.

joeSoap
08/11/2006, 2:30 PM
One man has been leading a football revolution for a number of years in Wexford guiding the County's youth teams to 3 All Ireland inter league titles in the last six years. He has also almost completed a, from scratch, development of a state of the art ground just outside Wexford town. This ground contains two full size carpet like pitches, astro turf training pitches and a clubhouse/indoor training facility. There is also allowance made for the future addition of stands and other facilities. Would not be surprised to see a team backed by same man applying for full league membership. At least expect to see a Wexford team in the under 21 league next season. With the finances said person has and his footballing ethos and contacts in the game expect a very competetive Wexford side in the League of Ireland in the near future.
What are they going to be called?? Wallace United ?? Guess who their manager will be??:eek: :rolleyes:

manic da hoop
08/11/2006, 2:39 PM
At a time like this, that is so stupid it barely merits response

What do you suggest, moving 60 miles down the road to Cork and getting a big bandwagon rolling

Football clubs have been known to have grounds in working class area you know

Some of the snobbery on here is astonishing sometimes :rolleyes:

Do Derry have any future given where the Brandywell is located?? :rolleyes: :mad:

Is there a future for Limerick FC with attitudes like this?

Lim till i die
08/11/2006, 2:44 PM

I just felt the question he was asking was a silly one at this point in time

Yes, if certain things are sorted out (Ground developement being the main one) there is a future for Limerick in that location

Happy now :confused:

NY Hoop

None. The majority of level headed limerick fans will tell you that and after friday's shenanigans even some of them wont be going anymore.

No chance of attracting any new fans to rathbane. Take away the fact that it is in the Irish equuivalent of Fallujah the ground is simply not up to any standard. This is not a cheap shot by any means, as unlike CHF and monaghan who had and have zero potential, Limerick with a decent ground do have enormous potential.

Question is are their fans willing to take over the club and get them out of that hell hole?

All options would have to be looked at.

KOH

passinginterest
What are they going to be called?? Wallace United ?? Guess who their manager will be??:eek: :rolleyes:

Spot on! Good to see someone investing the kind of time and money he does in the game, he's been good to many a Wexford youth, not least Kevin Doyle. Pat Dolan all the way, there's worse managers out there! It could be Danny Drew!;)

osarusan
08/11/2006, 2:45 PM

With the effort it took you to click reply and then type the words, couldnt you you have at least typed something worthwhile?

Lim till i die
08/11/2006, 2:47 PM
None. The majority of level headed limerick fans will tell you that and after friday's shenanigans even some of them wont be going anymore.

No chance of attracting any new fans to rathbane. Take away the fact that it is in the Irish equuivalent of Fallujah the ground is simply not up to any standard. This is not a cheap shot by any means, as unlike CHF and monaghan who had and have zero potential, Limerick with a decent ground do have enormous potential.

Question is are their fans willing to take over the club and get them out of that hell hole?

KOH

There's not enough commited fans who will stump up cash for a supporters take-over

I firmly believe there is a future in that area as part of the overall developement plan for the area.

Plus the fact of the matter is there are NO ALTERNATIVES at the moment :(

NY Hoop
08/11/2006, 3:03 PM
There's not enough commited fans who will stump up cash for a supporters take-over

I firmly believe there is a future in that area as part of the overall developement plan for the area.

Plus the fact of the matter is there are NO ALTERNATIVES at the moment :(

Shame. How much would it cost to take over?

If a viable plan was put to Bord na gCon would they be willing to listen re Markets Field?

KOH

manic da hoop
08/11/2006, 4:16 PM
With the effort it took you to click reply and then type the words, couldnt you you have at least typed something worthwhile?

Well seeing as the possible demise of LFC isn't really my problem I'm not going to waste too much time on the issue, but given that some constructive critcism and suggestions have been made here by others I preception is that the few genuine supporters of Limerick that are left are unwilling to help themselves. It is my opinion that LFC have no viable future in Rathbane. If you believe otherwise: fine, but given that your club has been on virtual life support for years now, is it not time that a fresh start is at least considered?

geezer
08/11/2006, 4:29 PM
of limerick need to help themselves. i know its difficult and it might start with a handful only, but a few people setting up a trust and using the expertise available at shamrock rovers, gufc/sligo etc organuise a meeting, dnt be disappointed if only a few turn up sometimes this can be a good thing. now is the time. we in the gufc trust offered to come down and help yee a year or two ago and that still stands. its in our interest to have a good limerick team. if it gathers legs by involving political,media and other people its possible to turn it around.

passerrby
08/11/2006, 5:14 PM
I think danny has burned a lot of his bridges with the fai who now hold the trump card, they may give the lease but not until a danny resigns,

Lim till i die
09/11/2006, 8:04 AM
Shame. How much would it cost to take over?

If a viable plan was put to Bord na gCon would they be willing to listen re Markets Field?

KOH

Not sure how much tbh. One major disadvantage we have in Limerick that might not be the case in other places though is that the business community in town is less than supportive. There would be no rush of meney towards this cause :(

Nope, the doggie crowd have been looking to leave the Markets Field for years now and the asking price for it is 8 Million or something ridiculous like that

Magicme
09/11/2006, 8:44 AM

KOH

Just coz you said that...it must be true!

How dare you say we have no potential when you have no idea about our club. God u really get up my nose!

Lim till i die
09/11/2006, 9:03 AM
Just coz you said that...it must be true!

How dare you say we have no potential when you have no idea about our club. God u really get up my nose!

Think you emboldened the wrong bit there ;)

Besides this is about Limerick dying, if you want a thread on Monaghan start your own :p

Magicme
09/11/2006, 9:44 AM
Exactly why I didnt bring the whole "we are better than you thing up" coz tbh no club in the eL have reason to be smug. We all have problems and we are all committed to dealing with them and making the league better so NY Hoop slagging us off just to taunt the Limerick Fans is a disgrace.

I am gutted that Limerick face this problem and hope it can be resolved for everyones greater good. I am a Mons fan first and foremost but an League fan secondly and hate to see anything that brings the league down.

passerrby
09/11/2006, 10:11 AM
let me tell you hoop we might not have a big fan base but what we have will always be welcome in any town and we will always have a pitch to play on

NY Hoop
09/11/2006, 10:13 AM
By potential I meant in supporters numbers. Simple fact is that monaghan in any division will never have potential. And the evidence is there so it is true.

Back on topic if the Markets Field is out of the question is there any way to go down the road Waterford went i.e. is there a Regional Sports Centre down there?

KOH

Lim till i die
09/11/2006, 10:17 AM
By potential I meant in supporters numbers. Simple fact is that monaghan in any division will never have potential. And the evidence is there so it is true.

Back on topic if the Markets Field is out of the question is there any way to go down the road Waterford went i.e. is there a Regional Sports Centre down there?

KOH

Nope, fraid not. There's a bowl in UL :o

Plus I genuinely believe (Along with a surprising amount of others, I'm not the only foamer at the mouth NY ;) ) that a move away from our base in the south of the city out to suburbia would kill the club

Middle class Limerick is full of rugger buggers who couldn't really care less about a senior football team IMHO

NY Hoop
09/11/2006, 10:22 AM
A blind man could see that by staying in rathbane the club is a dead duck. With decent facilities Limerick have a lot of potential. Dont get too snobby on people's background.

EL fans can ill afford to be slagging off possible future fans.

Get a consortium together to put a deal with the council to get a pitch? Supporters, businessmen etc.

KOH

passerrby
09/11/2006, 10:27 AM
there you go lim take a lesson from shamrock rovers on how to get a ground after all they are the experts

Lim till i die
09/11/2006, 10:28 AM
A blind man could see that by staying in rathbane the club is a dead duck. With decent facilities Limerick have a lot of potential. Dont get too snobby on people's background.

EL fans can ill afford to be slagging off possible future fans.

Get a consortium together to put a deal with the council to get a pitch? Supporters, businessmen etc.

KOH

Where?? It's been looked at. As already said above NO ALTERNATIVES

Do you honestly believe the core Munster Rugby support is ever going to change allegiance and follow Limerick?? And even if they do I can't see why they can't do it in Rathbane in the future

Give the area around Rathbane five to ten years and your looking at new private housing, apartments and retail units, plus a link road with the new tunnel and the Dublin, Cork roads link which already exists

It's called urban renewal NY, have a look around Dublin, it's possible

Magicme
09/11/2006, 10:41 AM
The Ground is fine where it is if there was an alternative access to it so you dont have to drive/walk through the housing estate. Once your inside the world outside doesnt exist. I have never had any problems up at the Steering Wheel (or the Steer W ee) and the Supercac's is the refulling joint of choice for the Mons fans so have no prob with the area as such, just the entrance into the ground itself.

Lim till i die
09/11/2006, 10:43 AM
The Ground is fine where it is if there was an alternative access to it so you dont have to drive/walk through the housing estate. Once your inside the world outside doesnt exist. I have never had any problems up at the Steering Wheel (or the Steer W ee) and the Supercac's is the refulling joint of choice for the Mons fans so have no prob with the area as such, just the entrance into the ground itself.

I'll have you know they got a lovely new neon blue sign for the bar

Really tasteful it is :p

Magicme
09/11/2006, 10:51 AM
I'll have you know they got a lovely new neon blue sign for the bar

Really tasteful it is :p

Does it light up the spit on the sawdust on the floor inside?? :D

Lim till i die
09/11/2006, 10:54 AM
Does it light up the spit on the sawdust on the floor inside?? :D

That's not spit and sawdust.....................

That's peoples devoured souls :eek: :p

jebus
09/11/2006, 1:08 PM
Limerick FC are fine just where we are, all this middle class overreaction to a few non-Limerick fans trying to beat up Rovers fans at the last game is just that, an overreaction. There is nowhere else for Limerick to go, period, any move to suburbia would kill the club as the majority are rugger-buggers as Lim Til I Die said and have no interest in watching an Eircom League First Division team when they can just as easily go to the South Court and watch Man Utd on the big screen. This isn't an insult to them as I can genuinely see why a supporter of rugby's European Champions might not give two craps about Limerick FC, but the fact is they won't be turned by the Eircom League, no matter how many licks of paint the FAI put on it next year.

Back to the area surrounding Hogan Park, well all I can say is that I'm from down the road and have never had any trouble going to or from the games, and have also never had any trouble in the ground. The only time I heard of trouble at the ground was the first Rovers game, and the only time I saw trouble myself was the last Rovers game, so that should tell you that the trouble that the non-Limerick FC fans caused those times had more to do with some petty Limerick-Rovers squabble than the actual club/area itself

sadloserkid
10/11/2006, 1:28 PM
I'm not as attached to Rathbane as some people here are. It's the best of a bad lot at the moment but I'd drop it in a second if there was anything else on the cards. We've only attracted big crowds for big games to be honest and we managed that at Jackass Park too. With an entrance opening onto the new road for starters I'd suggest that Hogan Park has a future. As things stand it's pretty cwap in a lot of respects.

What amuses me most in this thread (and there's precious little to smile about as a Limerick fan atm) is the class stereotypes been thrown out by both sides... both are naturally miles off the mark. But that is the seemingly the Limerick way. Divided we stand et al... :ball:

the ox
10/11/2006, 4:00 PM
I've got two lines on it tonight, so fingers crossed...