PDA

View Full Version : Credit cards

Pages : [1] 2

sligoman
06/11/2006, 11:37 PM
I'm thinking of applying for one. People that have them, what do ye think are the best? I was thinking of an MBNA Ryanair card but MBNA charge a fee on gambling transactions and that is mainly what I'd be using my card for(online betting a/c):o.

dahamsta
07/11/2006, 12:06 AM
Two words: Direct Debit. Clear it every month religiously. Don't get into debt, particularly not now.

Personally I use a Tesco card for personal stuff, because it can double as a ClubCard, and a BOI Business Card for business stuff. I wouldn't recommend or discount either. Apart from what you say above, a card's a card if you clear it every month. Did I mention you should clear it every month?

adam

sligoman
07/11/2006, 12:10 AM
Two words: Direct Debit. Clear it every month religiously. Don't get into debt, particularly not now.

Apart from what you say above, a card's a card if you clear it every month. Did I mention you should clear it every month?Way ahead of you on that front. DD is been set up straight away;). Won't be using it much anyway just for online stuff mostly.

strangeirish
07/11/2006, 12:37 AM
but MBNA charge a fee on gambling transactions and that is mainly what I'd be using my card for(online betting a/c).
:eek: That's not a good reason to get a credit card, but I ain't your Daddy. Can't offer advice as to which one would be better, but DH makes a good point about paying the balance every month. This is how people get into trouble with credit cards, by floating the balance. 'Ah sure I'll pay it when I win a few bob'. Don't start off on the wrong foot, whatever you do. I could tell you some horror stories, but I know you're smarter than that, so I won't bore you with the details. Did I mention I ain't your Daddy?;) :D

drinkfeckarse
07/11/2006, 7:51 AM
I regularly change my credit card to ones which offer 6-9 months with 0% interest on purchases or balance transfers. I always recommend that people do the same as it's no hassle at all to cancel your existing one and to set the new one up.

I don't think I've paid interest for about 2 years :)

Peadar
07/11/2006, 8:24 AM
I regularly change my credit card to ones which offer 6-9 months with 0% interest on purchases or balance transfers.

Very few companies in Ireland offer that. I think Halifax Bank of Scotland have introduced it now though.

Credit Cards are one of the most expensive ways to carry personal debt. They're so easy to use that many people get in over their head very quickly.

I have an American Express Corporate card, on which you must pay the balance in full every month. You're limited in the number of outlets which will accept it though.

the 12 th man
07/11/2006, 8:29 AM
[QUOTE=sligoman;569745 but MBNA charge a fee on gambling transactions and that is mainly what I'd be using my card for(online betting a/c):o.[/QUOTE]

There's no fee for Laser transactions in or out of your betting account with betfair and even better, you can't lose what you don't have.

Dawn_Run
07/11/2006, 8:31 AM
I regularly change my credit card to ones which offer 6-9 months with 0% interest on purchases or balance transfers. I always recommend that people do the same as it's no hassle at all to cancel your existing one and to set the new one up.

I don't think I've paid interest for about 2 years :)

Only problem with that is you get stung (in ireland anyway) for the 40 euro Govt Duty on the new card every time.

Dodge
07/11/2006, 9:02 AM
Most gambling sites (probably all but I can't presume that) won't pay back onto a mastercard (I have one). You can lodge money in with it but they'll pay you out by sending you a cheque. Debit cards accepted at betfair and paddypower (You can withdraw onto a debit or Visa card - dunno about the others). Betfair charges a commision on all lodgements made by CC too.

I've an AIB card, went with them as I wanted to check my account online and of course internet banking means I can pay it off anytime (AIB show transactions as they're added to the account where as BOI show them only after monthly statement is sent). When I go away I usually load up on the CC beforehand. Handy thing to have for booking flights and hotels etc. Usually use the Laser card for shopping in Ireland and gambling

Oh and I'm not committing one way or the other on the whole sligoman's father deabte :)

drinkfeckarse
07/11/2006, 9:14 AM
Only problem with that is you get stung (in ireland anyway) for the 40 euro Govt Duty on the new card every time.

Definately don't pay anything extra over here. Surprised (although I shouldn't be really) that very few banks/companies offer this back home.

I cancelled my old one a few weeks ago after transfering the balance to a new card and they practically begged me to keep it open and also offered me a similar deal if I returned to them once the new one's interest free period expired :eek: Plus I'm only average Joe I'd say because I rarely have more than £700-£1,000 owing on it which makes it all the more surprising. Seems to be the run of the mill thing over here to offer those kind of deals.

paul_oshea
07/11/2006, 9:23 AM
here if you do get into trouble, heres a nice word for ye kiting. it works wonders ;)

Dawn_Run
07/11/2006, 10:39 AM
Is it illegal to have three credit cards, pay one off with the other in 30 day cycles? Seems like money for nothing, too good to be true, etc etc

Dodge
07/11/2006, 10:44 AM
Not illegal, just foolish.

dahamsta
07/11/2006, 10:50 AM
I've never seen a credit card bill that can be paid by credit card

wws
07/11/2006, 10:51 AM
on the subject of card and cheque frauds (Paul's Kiting post) just read this - "The scammer (who refer to eachother as "guyman") then proceeds to ask the potential victim (known in Nigeria as a "Mugu"; a Lagos pidgin word for "fool")"

Those Nigerians have a word for everything....

Dodge
07/11/2006, 11:00 AM

Assumed he'd be withdrawing money on it and paying off another bill that way...

wws
07/11/2006, 11:02 AM

MUGU!

dahamsta
07/11/2006, 11:04 AM
Assumed he'd be withdrawing money on it and paying off another bill that way...You'd pay charges though, so it wouldn't be the perfect crime. :)

Dodge
07/11/2006, 11:08 AM
Fools game anyway as you'd have to pay it in the end...

drinkfeckarse
07/11/2006, 11:48 AM
Exactly as the debt would always be in your name so would have to be paid sooner or later.

paul_oshea
07/11/2006, 11:57 AM

some cowboy operations will allow this, but the majority wont, the first question they ask is it a debit card/laser or credit card you are using. Once its established they are trying to pay with a credit card, they are told you cant use "credit against credit" , obviouslly it doesnt help either bank to use credit against credit....

Btw, I have seen kiting work magically. Also there is some taxi guy in dublin who wrote a book about this sorta thing, when buying houses off plan, cant remember the author. But trust me it does work. I am not advocating it for small children however.

MUGU!

hehe, :D he is alright, but there is something really cool about that name/word.

there is another name for "credit on credit" but i can't remember. i hate forgetting these things, as you sound really cool in this situation!!! :JOKE:

paul_oshea
07/11/2006, 12:06 PM
Ok, here is a question actually, WHY ARE DEBIT CARDS not in force over here, and don't come back with the laser are debit cards, as they are not. Over in ireland htey look at ye like you have two heads when you say can i pay by debit card.....I know HBOS are brinigng one in finally to kick the arses of the gobsheens in aib and BOI.

They are so handy, especially when buying shares from brokers etc over in the uk, speaking mainly for my father there who is always asked and has to pay by credit card and it drives him mad.

Is it simply a case of debit cards costing the banks money without enough return?

anto1208
07/11/2006, 1:14 PM
What you want is a 3V voucher it works like a credit card for buying online but you buy the vouchers like mobile credit , not sure how it works i think TSB do them , just google it and something will pop up .

will stop you getting in debt !!!

paul_oshea
07/11/2006, 1:17 PM
What you want is a 3V voucher it works like a credit card for buying online but you buy the vouchers like mobile credit , not sure how it works i think TSB do them , just google it and something will pop up .

NO! what you need is a debit card like every other civilised banking-based-country has.

Dodge
07/11/2006, 1:35 PM
AIB do Maestro cards. I presume thats enoough of a debit card for you?

And gambling sites don't allow 3v vouchers apparently (and they're just plain rubbish anyway - charges, expiry dates etc)

paul_oshea
07/11/2006, 1:46 PM
AIB do Maestro cards. I presume thats enoough of a debit card for you?

well it will do dodge, but i was more looking along the lines of "visa" so can be used like credit cards in european countries and the states not like maestro/solo, yet its debit a la delta/electron.

Macy
07/11/2006, 1:53 PM
Laser cards are debit cards. Just a different company that operates them. In the UK, debit cards are VISA or Mastercard, which effectively means you can use them anywhere that'll take a credit card.

Laser was a company set up by AIB and BoI irrc, rather than have to pay visa or mastercard. Probably so they could make even more money. Laser Cards were still debit cards, but weren't and aren't internationally recognised. I think I've heard that the two banks are moving away from Laser and looking at a Europe wide alternative - but won't necessarily be Visa or Mastercard (think there's a third player in europe). This was a while ago, so they could've made that decision by now.

Dodge - as things stand, I think the AIB Maestro is still Ireland only, and is currently only a replacement for Cirrus or whatever the fook the brand was that allowed you take money out of foreign atm's. I don't think you can use it as a debit card abroad. This may change obviously (hopefully).

paul_oshea
07/11/2006, 1:58 PM
In the UK, debit cards are VISA or Mastercard, which effectively means you can use them anywhere that'll take a credit card.

eh no it doesnt, they wont take maestro in europe or america, tried it in both and it didnt work....and yet they were accepting my mastercard or Irish visa card. so thats wholly wrong.

CIrrus, and link allow you to take money out worldwide ( on any pass machine with their logo shown )

afaik maestro are an almagamation of switch and solo, its certainly switch, the other options are electron/delta which are both visa. I didnt know maestro was mastercard, i still amn't too sure but if you say so....

Macy
07/11/2006, 2:28 PM
eh no it doesnt, they wont take maestro in europe or america, tried it in both and it didnt work....and yet they were accepting my mastercard or Irish visa card. so thats wholly wrong.
I don't know about Maestro/ Mastercard, however my UK Debit Card, which is a Visa card can be used anywhere that takes Visa. The bank even pushes it as a cheaper way to pay for goods abroad! The fact it's a debit card is irrelevant to the retailer.

paul_oshea
07/11/2006, 2:38 PM
I don't know about Maestro/ Mastercard, however my UK Debit Card, which is a Visa card can be used anywhere that takes Visa. The bank even pushes it as a cheaper way to pay for goods abroad!

Ya, so that point you originally made about them being either mastercard or visa is wrong. There are 4 main types of debit cards in england. TWO of which are visa debit cards ( electron/delta, if you want to find out, check the back of the card and above the signature strip it will say which it is ) and can be used like a credit card abroad, the others cant!!!!

Macy
07/11/2006, 2:52 PM
Ya, so that point you originally made about them being either mastercard or visa is wrong.
Just assumed that Mastercard ones would be the same, I didn't mention Maestro bar to say I didn't know!

TWO of which are visa debit cards ( electron/delta, if you want to find out, check the back of the card and above the signature strip it will say which it is ) and can be used like a credit card abroad, the others cant!!!!
No electron or delta anywhere at all on my card. Only branding is the bank and visa.

pete
07/11/2006, 2:53 PM
While your on the topic.

I got charged "cash advance fee" when I purchased foreign exchange with my AIB Visa Card. Not had chance to ring the bank but anyone know if this correct? I know there is charge if i withdraw Credit Card cash from ATM but was not aware of this other charge. I paid commission on the currency exchange so extra credit card fee seems unfair.

:confused:

paul_oshea
07/11/2006, 4:09 PM
Just assumed that Mastercard ones would be the same, I didn't mention Maestro bar to say I didn't know!

In the UK, debit cards are VISA or Mastercard,

MUGU!

That statement to me IS A UNION ( Relational Algebra )of all debit cards infering they are one or the other of the above.
Maestro card ( same as solo ) is a debit card, bold it, italic it ( like you did ), underline it, do whatever its still a debit card, and they are not Mastercards.

I got charged "cash advance fee" when I purchased foreign exchange with my AIB Visa Card. Not had chance to ring the bank but anyone know if this correct? I know there is charge if i withdraw Credit Card cash from ATM but was not aware of this other charge. I paid commission on the currency exchange so extra credit card fee seems unfair.

I dont know what its like at home, but over here AIB (GB) will charge a fee on any currency bought using a credit card. Not sure if that is worked into it as a commission charge though. Did you get charged commission as well? If not it might be just another way of calling it....

sligoman
07/11/2006, 4:41 PM

I don't think I've paid interest for about 2 years :)I work for a bank so I've seen plenty of your types about:D. That's the reason some companies now charge BT fees;). As for changing the card regularly, as someone pointed out already, that doesn't work here as their is the government levy on all cards.

Think it was Dodge that mentioned bout the online bookies not crediting any winnings back to the card, I don't mind that. No problem been sent a cheque, just don't want to be charged a fee everytime I top up my card.

paul_oshea
07/11/2006, 4:59 PM
sligoman, i thought after working for such a company you would certainly have decided against getting the same companies credit card ;)

sligoman
07/11/2006, 5:11 PM
sligoman, i thought after working for such a company you would certainly have decided against getting the same companies credit card ;)I have cos they charge a fee on gambling transactions, keep up Paul:rolleyes: :D.

pete
08/11/2006, 9:42 AM
I dont know what its like at home, but over here AIB (GB) will charge a fee on any currency bought using a credit card. Not sure if that is worked into it as a commission charge though. Did you get charged commission as well? If not it might be just another way of calling it....

I think i bought 200 euro or so currency so commission from company included in bill total. AIB added something like 3.50 onto my bill separately. Aside from obvious profiteering i can't see why they would need to charge me separately as they will still get their cut from the total? If the currency unwilling to accept credit cards they should have not taken from me.

paul_oshea
08/11/2006, 10:07 AM
I think i bought 200 euro or so currency so commission from company included in bill total. AIB added something like 3.50 onto my bill separately. Aside from obvious profiteering i can't see why they would need to charge me separately as they will still get their cut from the total? If the currency unwilling to accept credit cards they should have not taken from me.

Ya its about £1.50 over here, spoke to the missus last night about it, it is called a cash advance fee, and it is not part of the commission. its just a standard charge as you are using your credit card, like you are about to take money out of the hole in the wall and get currency for that money, essentially they take é200 "out" of your account, and then convert it at the day rate....that was her explanation anyhow.

sligoman
10/11/2006, 6:59 PM
So, to answer my question. Any of ye know a credit card company that don't charge for gambling transactions?:confused:.

Dodge
10/11/2006, 9:29 PM
So, to answer my question. Any of ye know a credit card company that don't charge for gambling transactions?:confused:.

None of the credit card companys do. Some of the gambling sites charge for ALL credit cards.

sligoman
10/11/2006, 9:34 PM
None of the credit card companys do.I know MBNA do so that's wrong.
Some of the gambling sites charge for ALL credit cards.Do you know if Paddy Power do? That's the online account I'll be using.

onceahoop
10/11/2006, 9:58 PM
I have a BOI Laser card which also has a Maestro logo. However I think I read somewhere that there are charges for using Maestro abroad. Don't know if it's still the case as were all in the Euro, you can even use some ATM's in UK without paying a charge now.

Anyone using a credit card for gambling better be very disciplined. Don't go chasing your losses and clear your card account every month. I know a few sharks on Betfair who who lay odds and they'd buy and sell you. At least with a Laser you can only spend what you have in your account.

BTW I loaded the cc a few years ago before goin to the US for hols and got a call from MBNA saying they didn't like cc's in credit. told them to **** off nicely. Haven't had a problem since. Beat paying five bucks for every ATM transaction

the 12 th man
11/11/2006, 8:20 AM

Have you got the funds for a debit/laser card?

sligoman
11/11/2006, 11:48 AM
BTW I loaded the cc a few years ago before goin to the US for hols and got a call from MBNA saying they didn't like cc's in credit. told them to **** off nicely. Haven't had a problem since.That's for 2 reasons: (1.) It's a method of money laundering and (2.) If your card was stolen and used, you are not covered for any money loaded onto it so you were taking it at yer own risk.
Have you got the funds for a debit/laser card?Yeah. But I think I'd prefer a credit card. Is their a government levy on laser cards?:confused:.

the 12 th man
11/11/2006, 12:48 PM
Is their a government levy on laser cards?:confused:.

Yep,no escape.

sligoman
11/11/2006, 1:09 PM
Yep,no escape.Is it 40 aswell?

steno
11/11/2006, 1:24 PM
40 on them all far as I know.

the 12 th man
11/11/2006, 5:41 PM

But no fee for betting sites so I can't see why you (sligoman) don't avail,who wants to bet on tick?.

The Ref
11/11/2006, 6:38 PM
Is it 40 aswell?

Yep,no escape.

e40 stamp duty on credit card

e10 stamp duty on atm card

e10 on Laser card

if the Laser and atm card are combined (in most cases they are) both levies are charged i.e. a e 20 charge

FYI the e40 levy is charged in April of each year and is charged for the year just passed. If you cancel or change your card during the year your financial institution charges you the e40 but you don't have to pay that again until the following April plus 12 months

eg

cancel card 1 Jan 2006

bank charges e40

next e40 due 1 April 2007

full details are available on http://www.revenue.ie/index.htm?/leaflets/financial.htm

sligoman
12/11/2006, 12:39 AM
But no fee for betting sites so I can't see why you (sligoman) don't avail,who wants to bet on tick?.Laser sounds like the way to go alright then but are they as widely accepted as Visa/Mastercard credit cards?