PDA

View Full Version : Murray

standregular
15/10/2002, 9:21 AM
did anybody see TV3.5 offering on EL last night and the City match. What was wrong with Murray's goal even DAmo said there was nothing wrong . All in all the few mins of play we saw were impressive enough . At least chances were created and some football was evident . Any reports from people at the ground?

pete
15/10/2002, 9:40 AM
Yeah from the tv3 replays Murray definitely didn't touch oir lean on a defender - was someone in the 6 yard box which i presume the ref unfairly adjudged to be obstructing the keeper?

AFAIK just standing in the 6 yard box dosn't mean you obstructing the keeper unless using your arms to block him.

:rolleyes:

Shed End John
15/10/2002, 9:50 AM
Originally posted by pete

AFAIK just standing in the 6 yard box dosn't mean you obstructing the keeper unless using your arms to block him.

:rolleyes:

Agreed. The amount of protection that keepers get is absolutely ridiculous. After all, a keeper already has an advantage in being able to use his hands when competing for the ball.

Murphy Out Now!!!

Éanna
15/10/2002, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Shed End John
The amount of protection that keepers get is absolutely ridiculous.
Agreed. A friend of mine is a goalkeeper over here in Spain, and he was telling me that the official directive (not sure if it´s FIFA or just in Spain) is that no-one is allowed touch the keeper in the 6 yard box or it´s a free out, but once he is outside that ( rest of the penalty area, anywhere else) he is considered the same as any player.

I accept that people can´t be leaning on goalkeepers or tugging their shirt, but they can´t do that to any other player wither. When it comes to crosses/corners the keeper has a huge advantage over everyone else (i.e. he can handle the ball) so why give him more help? :confused:

Shed End John
15/10/2002, 10:47 AM
Too bloody right. If it is a FIFA directive then ridiculou doesn't even begin to describe it. Don't really think that FIFA lives up to its "For The Good Of The Game" slogan now, does it?

Murphy Out Now!!!

eoinh
15/10/2002, 11:46 AM
did Murray come from?:confused:

Gary
15/10/2002, 12:45 PM
He is on loan from Peterborough for the rest of the season. he is a centre half who was reccomended to LM by John O Flynn.

James
15/10/2002, 2:44 PM
well from what i saw at the match, there was nothing wrong with the goal, in fairness damo and others watching on tv3 coverage wont have seen the supposed pushing being done by john o flynn cause the camera missed it anyway, but i, as did a number of derry fans, think twas harsh decision

anyways we should have won the match easily long b4 that, as there were 2 open goals missed, not to mention a hatful of chances for GOC, if only he'd learn how to not trip over himself when shooting :)

Shed End John
15/10/2002, 3:12 PM
Originally posted by James
not to mention a hatful of chances for GOC, if only he'd learn how to not trip over himself when shooting :)

Bit of a problem alright, isn't it? Seems he's well able to knock 'em in from 25+ yards, but, ask him to score from 10 and it all goes wrong.

Murphy Out Now!!!

9pointdeduction
21/10/2002, 5:40 PM
Originally posted by Shed End John

Bit of a problem alright, isn't it? Seems he's well able to knock 'em in from 25+ yards, but, ask him to score from 10 and it all goes wrong.

thats cos he´s a midfielder and not a striker, but sure murphys too dumb to reelise that anyway

Troy.McClure
21/10/2002, 7:59 PM
He did fairly well yesterday and poked it in from not too far out.