PDA

View Full Version : Live Updates

Gary
14/10/2002, 2:45 PM
How much hassle would it be to put a real time score board type thing on this site??? At least it would keep us away from looking at that stupid RTE site.

Éanna
14/10/2002, 6:49 PM
Originally posted by GWA
How much hassle would it be to put a real time score board type thing on this site??? At least it would keep us away from looking at that stupid RTE site.
would be great. I´d certainly be willing to help with it while I´m over here and not at games if necessary. There was a similar thing set up 2(?) seasons ago on a site, where fans texted the score/incidents in and it was updated by other fans- don´t think it lasted too long, but it was very handy.

James
14/10/2002, 7:06 PM
yea the live updates worked a treat when twas done
as someone involved in that i know i was getting a few thousand page impressions over the course of some of the more crucial games.. different now city are lpaying on a friday night as are most of the clubs..gona be hard to find someone who aint at a match (and is in the country eanna :) )

still have the template we were using on my hardrive somewhere at home so if the interest and numbers are there i might give it ago

altough the way bohs are running away with the league does it really matter ..?

anyone else interested in it pm me we'll try and sort summit

Éanna
14/10/2002, 7:33 PM
Originally posted by James
(and is in the country eanna :) )
Is there any reason why me not being in the country is a problem? Still have a mobile to receive texts..........

dahamsta
14/10/2002, 8:01 PM
Myself and Joe have discussed this before. I'd love to see something like this running on the site, but the thing holding us back on all new developments is and has been time, particularly time for simple organisation. For example, this would work great as a collaborative effort, and you guys are absolutely welcome to my server and bandwidth, but there isn't a hope in hell of me being able to sit here and take scores, and input them into the site. I /might/ be able to write come code, but that's about as far as I'd be able to take it.

In other words -- it's up to you. I'll support you anyway I can, but the brunt of the work would have to be handled by the community.

adam

pete
15/10/2002, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Vetinari
I /might/ be able to write come code, but that's about as far as I'd be able to take it.

An SMS gateway that'll automatically receive & display text updates will do nicely.

;)

Éanna
15/10/2002, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by pete
An SMS gateway that'll automatically receive & display text updates will do nicely.

hell yeah! No as for what Adam was saying, I´d certainly be willing to do what i could from here if anyone else is up for it.

Dodge
15/10/2002, 11:50 AM
Wouldn't too hard, if there is some one willing to do the PC end of end things (Eanna?) all it takes is about 20 people to text the scores/incidents in

It'd be even better if mebers could sign up for text alerts but that'd probably be asking too much

Éanna
15/10/2002, 6:42 PM
Originally posted by Dodge
Wouldn't too hard, if there is some one willing to do the PC end of end things (Eanna?) all it takes is about 20 people to text the scores/incidents in
I´m in Spain until late January apart from a few days at Christmas, and should be able to access a PC most friday nights. I´m totally willing to do the PC end of things until I come back, as long as I can figure it out!

James
24/10/2002, 6:04 PM
can you ftp from the pc's eanna
i gota rough site done out so check if you can ftp and update and i'll get back to ya

Éanna
24/10/2002, 6:57 PM
can you ftp from the pc's eanna
i gota rough site done out so check if you can ftp and update and i'll get back to ya
:confused: you´ll have to explain that one to me :o

James
26/10/2002, 2:24 PM
well ok how you gona update a site so then mister??

dahamsta
26/10/2002, 7:16 PM
We can do it through the web. Give me a rundown of what we need, what it'll look like, etc, and I'll put something together.

(I already have it in mind, I just need you guys to tell me.)

adam

Éanna
27/10/2002, 3:53 PM
well ok how you gona update a site so then mister??
like i said, explain it to me!

A face
28/10/2002, 6:16 PM
Lads,

http://www.livescore.com does the trick just fine already. And http://www.soccerbot.com is more up-to-date now. Sometimes it needs a email to be sent but it is done soon after.

James
28/10/2002, 6:19 PM
was thinking of something more detailed face

the former livescores thingy we did had team line-ups, and updates on the matches from fans with comments on chances created and missed etc etc and was more uptodate and reliable then live scores website

dahamsta
28/10/2002, 7:40 PM
That's kind of what I had in mind too. Something like Joe's old reports from the sideline of Cork City matches, only more often, and possibly from more people[1]. Something like a window with the match title and scoreline, and a button for the teams (one each or all on one page), and underneath that a running commentary that reloads once a minute. We could also add buttons later on, containing stats on previous matches or the season for each team, etc.

The obvious relay method is SMS from the match, however this is a problem because: a) SMS is messy at the best of times; and b) it requires someone to read the texts and pump them into a web form. Éanna being in another country makes it all the more difficult. So, let's try and work something out. The code is really very simple - I actually wrote the scripts the last time we looked at this - but I'm not going at it again until we have a procedure laid out and ready to go.

adam

[1] Joe used to post to the old corkcityfc.com forum from the sidelines with his PDA and mobile phone. Odd way to try and pick up chicks, but each to his own...

Schumi
29/10/2002, 10:28 AM
What would this entail for the people at the games? I'd be happy to do whatever needs doing from UCD games but I don't plan on spending €5 on texts at every game!

James
28/11/2002, 3:44 PM
ok this now gona be an endofseason project for me

hope to start next season in feb
be ready

UCD_4_Life
28/11/2002, 6:57 PM
I'd do it from UCD games too. But I wouldn't be doing that many.

Just goals, scorer if I see him and and other events of note (injuries, sending offs, snipers picking people off from the top of the AIB Stand...that kinda thing).

Xlex
29/11/2002, 11:04 AM
I'm in too... no problem...

Dodge
02/12/2002, 2:40 PM
Yeah, you can stick me down for the Pats reports...

dahamsta
02/12/2002, 3:46 PM
This is for next season, yeah?

(Sorry, haven't been paying attention the last few days. Got vBulletin coming out my butt.)

adam

James
02/12/2002, 4:07 PM
yeah adam
got a few things / print screens and suchlike
heading from my head onto paper any day now

would aim to have things started for next season

Schumi
17/02/2003, 5:56 PM
Any developments on this front?

James
17/02/2003, 6:06 PM
started something alright b4 christamas scumi but duno if the interest / need / numbers are there now seeing as most if not all the games alot of the time are on a friday night therefore who does the updating.

also aertel now in all fairness have kopped on a good bit and livescores is there also

Ref
17/02/2003, 8:16 PM
to be brutally honest i don't think it would be worth all the effort.

but thats my opinion. go for it if you want.

dahamsta
21/03/2003, 10:54 PM
I'm just pushing this back up before I unstick it, in case anyone has any comments before it disappears into the wild blue yonder.

Badweather Fan
22/03/2003, 12:15 AM
Overambitious.
Wait til we've 10,000 members.