PDA

View Full Version : Can Drogheda Still Win The League?

Rossi
03/11/2006, 11:14 AM
From Elevenaside.com

Drogs boss retains title hopes

November 3, 2006

Drogheda United manager Paul Doolin feels his side are still in with a chance of lifting the eircom League crown going into the last fortnight of the season.

The Drogs are seven points behind Shelbourne, effectively with a game more played following the decision to replay Shels’ game against Bohemians.

But Doolin feels that victory over the leaders tonight would bring them right back into contention, particularly with a game against second-placed Derry City to come on Tuesday night.

He said: “If we could win tonight, we’d be four points behind with nine points to play for.

“Ok, we know we’re chasing and we can’t afford to lose this one. But you’d also have to say that Shels have to win as well. And the good thing for us is that we also have to play Derry.”

Lim till i die
03/11/2006, 11:16 AM
No, Of course not :rolleyes:

Man those straws Doolin clutching at just keep getting shorter and shorter

dcfcsteve
03/11/2006, 11:26 AM
I fully expect Drogs to close the gap, but I think he's left it too late for a title challenge rally.

It is perfectly feasible. I wouldn't be surprised if they got at least a point from Shels tonight, and they'rre becoming a right bogey team for City, so you never know.

Will be interesting to see how our players react to the off-the-pitch nonesense that's going on at the moment. I expect Kenny will have their heads clear for any game, but it must be starting to impact at least him at this stage of things.

Celdrog
03/11/2006, 11:27 AM
Of course we can still win the league. Our chairman is a solicitior and I'm sure he knows a few legal loopholes.

ciaraa
03/11/2006, 11:41 AM
Our most important close season signings will be on the legal team.

OneRedArmy
03/11/2006, 11:49 AM
"Win" the League, what a ridiculous concept!

There are obviously a few people out there who haven't copped on yet that NOBODY will win the League.

There will only be losers.

TonyD
03/11/2006, 12:53 PM
If there is a football God then Drogehda will beat Shelbourne tonight, and beat them well. Please, Please, Please.

dcfcsteve
03/11/2006, 1:00 PM
If there is a football God then Drogehda will beat Shelbourne tonight, and beat them well. Please, Please, Please.

And injure a few of their key players (like Williams...)

I'm a very bad man for saying that though.... :o

Celdrog
03/11/2006, 1:50 PM
And then rest our entire first team on Tuesday against Derry and play the U-16 team (along with a couple of suspended players).

All in the interests of fair play of course

stickyjoe
03/11/2006, 9:50 PM
Hopefully Drogs can win their last few games and somehow shels and derry throw it away.

would be some justice if they won it instead of shels and derry and their teams of solicitors and IT experts :rolleyes:

CollegeTillIDie
03/11/2006, 11:18 PM
Drogheda United can still win the League..... some time this decade :D

dcfcsteve
04/11/2006, 2:48 AM
Hopefully Drogs can win their last few games and somehow shels and derry throw it away.

would be some justice if they won it instead of shels and derry and their teams of solicitors and IT experts :rolleyes:

Aye - some justice. A team of average mercenaries who haven't been close to the summit of the league since about week 5....

Dream on dreamer... :rolleyes:

ndrog
04/11/2006, 12:42 PM
those average mercenaries have probably cost you the leauge title :) oh then again you cant beat the mighty giants of bray .Well done .

oriel
04/11/2006, 8:25 PM
Why not ?

Dundalk won it on the last day of 1995 when derry and shels both lost on the same day, I still say that team was the worst ever side to win the league as with almost the same side the following year we needed a play off to stay up, finally going down 3 years after.

No reason why drogs cant do the same.

Aaron
04/11/2006, 8:48 PM
those average mercenaries have probably cost you the leauge title oh then again you cant beat the mighty giants of bray .Well done .

Limericks some side arnt they...;)

kdjaC
04/11/2006, 9:05 PM

Ohhhh

When i said that during your Euro run i was a bad man according to you..... oh how times change :D

kdjac

BohsFans
05/11/2006, 1:16 AM
have Pat's now qualified for Europe?

kdjaC
05/11/2006, 10:34 AM
have Pat's now qualified for Europe?

Nope

Get into Europe/Setanta if we win cup or Derry win league, if we lose and derry dont win league we get nothing.

kdjac

ccfcgirl
05/11/2006, 11:42 AM
I be very surprised if Drogheda finished in the top three this season , Too many draws .....

Celdrog
05/11/2006, 2:51 PM
Nope
Get into Europe/Setanta if we win cup or Derry win league, if we lose and derry dont win league we get nothing.
kdjac
Kdjac - are you certain about this.
On friday we could not figure out if the UEFA spot stayed with the cup or not. (It does in most countries) If it does, you guys are in the UEFA (unless we get second, Derry get third and win the cup).
If it doesn't stay with the cup and Shels win the league, Derry win the cup then 3rd in the League gets UEFA and 4th gets intertoto.

BohsFans
05/11/2006, 3:47 PM
Shels win the league, Derry win the cup then 3rd in the League gets UEFA and 4th gets intertoto.

That one's right, I'm nearly certain of it.

sadloserkid
05/11/2006, 4:32 PM
Limericks some side arnt they...;)

Uh... yes. :o :)