PDA

View Full Version : Our official site

DmanDmythDledge
02/11/2006, 9:26 PM
To be honest it's crap. Who's responsible for designing the site and the content? To be fair the content that's their is good- it just needs upadating hear and there, and more of it.

pineapple stu
02/11/2006, 9:29 PM
Since Dublin City went, the design side has faded away to the stage where nothing we were promised/asked for has been added. I can't deduct Bohs' three points either. May try a self-design and see how far we get.

DmanDmythDledge
02/11/2006, 9:32 PM
You do it.:eek: What's Dublin City got to do with it, or are you just using that as a reference date? The site could definitely do with a new look- it's a bloody eyesore.

pineapple stu
02/11/2006, 9:38 PM
I do what? :eek:

The UCD site is the same template as the DC site, as designed by a DC fan. Things like the league table would be updated from a central source. The DC design - which was much better than ours - was eventually to be taken over to our site. Since DC went, nothing's happened.

DmanDmythDledge
02/11/2006, 9:44 PM
I do what? :eek:
I thought you meant you were responsible for running the site.

The UCD site is the same template as the DC site, as designed by a DC fan. Things like the league table would be updated from a central source. The DC design - which was much better than ours - was eventually to be taken over to our site. Since DC went, nothing's happened.
That one still looks crap IMO. Better, but still crap. Just look at Galway's or Bohs' sites.

Maybe I'm being a bit critical here but I think we should look for a different designer thingy.

pineapple stu
02/11/2006, 9:46 PM
I thought you meant you were responsible for running the site.
I do the words, not the pictures.

TheBoss
02/11/2006, 9:56 PM
Is the Kilkenny City site, similar to the Dublin City one aswell.

DmanDmythDledge
02/11/2006, 9:59 PM
Ye it is.

Bald Student
02/11/2006, 10:18 PM
Maybe I'm being a bit critical here but I think we should look for a different designer thingy.Sounds like the type of job a young, computer-literate fan might be interested in. Know anyone?

DmanDmythDledge
02/11/2006, 11:08 PM
Sounds like the type of job a young, computer-literate fan might be interested in. Know anyone?
Hhmmm...no.:p

Poor Student
03/11/2006, 8:32 AM
The Dub City fan is (or was?) a poster here. I've complained to Pineapple about the site from day one. It's not something I can do anything about but I was thinking if one of us even had a bear knowledge of website building we could make a better effort. Who constructed the STIG site?

pineapple stu
03/11/2006, 12:41 PM
Who constructed the STIG site?
John83.

Poor Student
03/11/2006, 12:58 PM
Well, it's a lot better in structure and appearance than the official one.

John83
04/11/2006, 11:09 AM
Well, it's a lot better in structure and appearance than the official one.
To be honest, my website design is pretty rough. I think it would be important for an official site to have a proper content management system. It's not beyond me or anything, but it all takes time to learn. I'd love to do something up like what Gareth Penrose has for Shels (though Galway's looks nicer, I have to admit) but I just can't right now.

Most teams have a fairly basic site though. Derry's for example, or Shamrock Rovers'. They look shiny, but they're not much better really than what ours should be if the designer would just get around to adding the DC template and fixing a few minor issues.

Poor Student
04/11/2006, 12:21 PM
While Galway's is a good effort, I don't like too clogged a webpage. Too many columns and pictures. Shelsweb is more straightforward and practical. I think if we could begin to construct our own site and develop it gradually as your abilities improved it would be a better situation. If it could be fixed up so that a few of us could update it then we could come up with something decent. It seems you really need your own autonomy in this area. You can't get much worse than what we have, the club details haven't been added in one year down the line.

CollegeTillIDie
06/11/2006, 7:05 AM
Poor Student the way to get round the clogging of a webpage should be fairly easy, more back up pages, leads to better layout, and if each major sub-category has it's own page, people should be able to access them fairly easily via a drop down menu type format.

DmanDmythDledge
29/03/2007, 5:21 PM
Any development with the new site?

Poor Student
29/03/2007, 10:39 PM
When I asked Maccer about it a while back his answer suggested it would be some time before we see the new one.

CollegeTillIDie
01/04/2007, 7:39 AM
When I asked Maccer about it a while back his answer suggested it would be some time before we see the new one.

The UCD Ladies team have their own site. You can access it via www.ucd.ie/sport and then click on Ladies soccer when it comes to the clubs list. The official site for the men's EL team etc could be moved to www.ucd.ie/sport on the Men's Soccer page it could be modified to take the new site.

Anyway the girls site is much better than ours. So it's not only that it is in the clubs colours so you have pale blue background for text etc. There are lots of photos and space for match reports etc. I did help out with their history content, but like pineapple I can only take credit for some of the text not the lay out. Maybe we should ask their designer to help us out?

GavinZac
01/04/2007, 7:50 AM
i would help out if someone would agree to handle the content of the site.

DmanDmythDledge
01/04/2007, 8:56 AM
The UCD Ladies team have their own site. You can access it via www.ucd.ie/sport (http://www.ucd.ie/sport) and then click on Ladies soccer when it comes to the clubs list. The official site for the men's EL team etc could be moved to www.ucd.ie/sport (http://www.ucd.ie/sport) on the Men's Soccer page it could be modified to take the new site.

Anyway the girls site is much better than ours. So it's not only that it is in the clubs colours so you have pale blue background for text etc. There are lots of photos and space for match reports etc. I did help out with their history content, but like pineapple I can only take credit for some of the text not the lay out. Maybe we should ask their designer to help us out?
Direct link- http://www.ucd.ie/womenssoccer/

It looks very good- can't see why the same thing wasn't done for the mens team.

John83
28/05/2007, 4:34 PM
Any word on this?

DmanDmythDledge
28/05/2007, 5:36 PM
Any word on this?
Supposed to be ready by the start of June.

John83
28/05/2007, 6:36 PM
Interesting, given June starts on Friday.

DmanDmythDledge
01/08/2007, 12:57 AM
Is the new site being launched today?

John83
01/08/2007, 11:06 AM
Allegedly, but the webmaster doesn't seem to be a deadline oriented guy, so I'm not holding my breath.

CollegeTillIDie
03/08/2007, 10:31 AM
Anyword on the new site?

Aberdonian Stu
03/08/2007, 3:16 PM
The matter is in hand. I don't want to say anymore at this time.

CollegeTillIDie
03/08/2007, 8:37 PM
[QUOTE=Aberdonian Stu;738944]The matter is in hand. I don't want to say anymore at this time.[/QUOTE
Well as your source is highly placed within the club I shall take it on trust.:cool: