PDA

View Full Version : Roddy and Dan McDonnell to talk about Shels farce...

LukeO
02/11/2006, 7:31 PM
...on Newstalk 106-108 in a mo...

A face
02/11/2006, 7:40 PM
www.newstalk.ie (http://www.newstalk.ie/)

- WinAmp (http://jupiter.radica.com/tune.php?c=newstalk&.wvx)
- Real Audio (http://www.txradica.net/tune.php?c=newstalk&.wvx)

by phone: 1890 453106
by fax: 01 6611602
by email: info@newstalk.ie
by text: 53106

* Station Editor - Garrett Harte
garrett@newstalk.ie

* News Director - John Keogh
johnkeogh@newstalk.ie

* Sports Editor - Ger Gilroy
jerry@newstalk.ie

* Sales Director - Cera Ward
cward@newstalk.ie

* Marketing Director - Michael Markey
mjmarkey@newstalk.ie

* HR & Operations Director – Olive Cummins
olive@newstalk.ie

LukeO
02/11/2006, 7:47 PM
erm... do we really need to know all of those email addresses? ;)

sonofstan
02/11/2006, 7:57 PM
One can only agree with Sligo Fans last sunday about Roddy and self- abuse

OneRedArmy
02/11/2006, 8:19 PM
One can only agree with Sligo Fans last sunday about Roddy and self- abuseGet it right. It was the Derry fans ;)

The studio was build above the away fans entrance/exit from the ground.

dancinpants
02/11/2006, 10:07 PM
What was the panels consensus? (dare I ask?)

LukeO
02/11/2006, 10:16 PM
Anyone think the standard of Newstalk has gone down since it went national?

Slightly off topic... but yes...

Moncrief and Hook are great though!

Jaime
02/11/2006, 10:41 PM
Slightly off topic... but yes...

Moncrief and Hook are great though!

****ing students. Students and the unemployed, they're the only people who get to listen to Moncrief. :mad:

LukeO
02/11/2006, 11:57 PM
Listen to the repeats at about 3 in the mornin.... ;)

Macy
03/11/2006, 7:18 AM
Students and the unemployed, they're the only people who get to listen to Moncrief.
Normally catch half an hour - 8am - 4pm are my hours. :cool: Breakfast show is okay, and normally stick with it since it's a half 6 start as opposed to 7 for boring Ireland. Mid morning is crap though, Orla Barry is rubbish and Brenda Power's show is awful and really reflects the paper she writes for - DIM ;)

Back on topic, what did Shoddy and Daniel McD have to say? I would expect them to share the same views as the thread here?

Back off topic - excellent by the Derry fans on Sunday, took me back to the Stretty and Elton Welsby :D

wws
03/11/2006, 9:54 AM
Roddy agrees with the replay of the game
dan just gave a rundown of what was goin on to sound of radios being switched off throughout the land!

Shelsman
03/11/2006, 12:13 PM
For once I agree with Roddy! Though if Shels were given a walk over i.e. 3 points then that would be OK too, though the fairest is a replay. If Ronaldinho was suspended and played against Chelsea the other day what do you think UEFA would do?

Good to see Derry are looking after the interests of the League and Irish Football in general:

In a statement, the Board of Directors said: “We wish to reassure all supporters and fans of the club both in Derry and elsewhere, that we intend, as a Board, to protect robustly and resolutely the interests of our club.

I can see Ollie's point about the fact that Shels would have 3 points more than Shels based on matches versus Dublin City but I think if everybody gets nothing from their games with Dublin City then that's fair enough.
By originally deducting 3 points from Bohs they were punishing Bohs and in a way punishing Shels too ( where did the three points go then? ) so a replay is probably fair enough -let it be settled on the pitch. Will the same player still be 'suspended' ? Surely that would be fair too?

OneRedArmy
03/11/2006, 12:16 PM
Good to see Derry are looking after the interests of the League and Irish Football in general:And we have a winner in the Pots and Kettles category of the Post of the Year competition.

Jesus wept, do you even see the irony in what you've just said?

Macy
03/11/2006, 12:40 PM
Will the same player still be 'suspended' ? Surely that would be fair too?
Only if they also replay the game in which he actually served the suspension as well. Otherwise he'd be serving his one match ban twice - not in the spirit of fair play shels are such fans of.

garyderry
03/11/2006, 12:54 PM
For once I agree with Roddy! Though if Shels were given a walk over i.e. 3 points then that would be OK too, though the fairest is a replay. If Ronaldinho was suspended and played against Chelsea the other day what do you think UEFA would do?

Good to see Derry are looking after the interests of the League and Irish Football in general:

In a statement, the Board of Directors said: “We wish to reassure all supporters and fans of the club both in Derry and elsewhere, that we intend, as a Board, to protect robustly and resolutely the interests of our club.

I can see Ollie's point about the fact that Shels would have 3 points more than Shels based on matches versus Dublin City but I think if everybody gets nothing from their games with Dublin City then that's fair enough.
By originally deducting 3 points from Bohs they were punishing Bohs and in a way punishing Shels too ( where did the three points go then? ) so a replay is probably fair enough -let it be settled on the pitch. Will the same player still be 'suspended' ? Surely that would be fair too?

as $h3l$ and the FAI have decided to change the rules mid season to suit $h3l$ at the expense of the league as a whole, of course derry must act in the best interests of derry, oillie obviously thinks he can bully and push everyone around, its about time someone stood up to him.

Shelsman
06/11/2006, 12:53 PM
Surely the best thing is that the punishment should be set in stone in the rulebook and not open to interpretation i.e. for every offence there should be an exact punishment specified, then there can be no debate, appeals and so on.

pineapple stu
06/11/2006, 1:03 PM

What utter drivel, though unsurprising from a Shels fan.

A replay is not fair, or indeed legal. In 1999/00, Kilkenny beat Limerick 3-2. Kilkenny had played in ineligible player, and a replay was ordered, which Kilkenny won 1-0. However, a civil judge later ruled that this replay was void and that the league had no powers to order a replay. What is at issue here, therefore, is that -

(a) The FAI have overruled the league and made their own decision which is in breach of the league's own rules as decided by a civil judge
(b) You seem to think that a decision which is illegal is fair and
(c) You seem to think that Derry are somehow wrong to be seeking an illegal judgement to be overruled.

Shels fans in general appear to actually think that Ollie is right and good in this instance, even though the precedent tells us that he is wrong, and that that precedent does not come from the league itself but from a court of law. And they wonder why their club is hated so much.

On this case, I can only assume that, seeing as the precendent exists for the ruling to be invalidated in a court of law, Derry's appeal will succeed, the 2-1 win for Bohs will be reinstated and Derry will again be three points behind Shels with a game in hand.

You then call for an exact penalty for every offence. Do you have any idea how stupidly impractical this is? Human stupidity knows no bounds, and more so when you have people like Ollie and the FAI involved. It would be impossible to legislate for every single possible f***-up.

harpskid
06/11/2006, 1:21 PM
In 1999/00, Kilkenny beat Limerick 3-2.

Clearly the FAI didn't do too much research on the issue and had forgotten about this one - but wasn't it Dundalk who were the others involved?

Schumi
06/11/2006, 1:42 PM
wasn't it Dundalk who were the others involved?Dundalk were vying with Kilkenny for promotion that year, similar to Derry's position now.

Shelsman
06/11/2006, 5:11 PM
What utter drivel, though unsurprising from a Shels fan..
Very harsh and very unfair.

A replay is not fair, or indeed legal. .. It depends what you call legal -legal as in the eL rulebook or legal as in Ireland's laws ( I doubt anything in the latter was breached ). If the FAI are breaking or ignoring a rule in the eL rulebook then that is ridiculous behaviour by them, outrageous really! I don't have a copy of the rulebook it so I can't say. Do you?

However, a civil judge later ruled that this replay was void and that the league had no powers to order a replay.. Not sure how the Nation's laws have anything to do with football ( why bother with a rule book if the courts are going to decide everything. But yeah, if they have no powers by their own rules to order a replay then that is not fair ).

(b) You seem to think that a decision which is illegal is fair and .. Again, I don't own a copy of the rulebook, and if it is against the written rules to order a replay then I don't think it is fair.

(c) You seem to think that Derry are somehow wrong to be seeking an illegal judgement to be overruled...
No. The rules should be followed by all clubs. It was the statement that Derry made that I didn't like which said that they would do what was best for Derry City FC ( no mention of football in general ) i.e. it implied that they would do whatever they had to to win the league on or off the pitch -seems like they're contradicting their manager there. Maybe ( like Fenlon ) I'm reading too much between the lines. :confused:

You then call for an exact penalty for every offence. Do you have any idea how stupidly impractical this is?
Very harsh words and again unfair. Would you rather have 'general' rules or 'guidelines' ? At the very least, if there is something not covered by the rulebook that causes a problem they should amend the rulebook each time with an exact penalty before the start of the next season -is this stupidly impractical???

pineapple stu
06/11/2006, 5:27 PM
It depends what you call legal -legal as in the eL rulebook or legal as in Ireland's laws ( I doubt anything in the latter was breached ). If the FAI are breaking or ignoring a rule in the eL rulebook then that is ridiculous behaviour by them, outrageous really! I don't have a copy of the rulebook it so I can't say. Do you?
(a) Yes, I do have a copy.
(b) It's irrelevant. The fact of the matter is that this is not the first time a replay has been ordered. The previous time, the decision to do so was declared void by the civil court. It's disgraceful that Ollie has managed to bully the FAI into making this same decision, which has been proven illegal in the past. That also answers your question ...

Not sure how the Nation's laws have anything to do with football ( why bother with a rule book if the courts are going to decide everything.)
I don't know why, to be honest; however, the fact of the matter is that they have. Maybe the civil court is like an arbitration court to decide queries over the rulebook - I don't know. But the fact is that it has declared a replay void before, a decision the league abided by, and that's part of the reason there's uproar in this situation and why the FAI's decision is simply indefensible.

It was the statement that Derry made that I didn't like which said that they would do what was best for Derry City FC ( no mention of football in general)
It's been Ollie's mantra for years; I don't see how you can suddenly oppose it and back Ollie's decision to whine for a replay. I don't see any problems with wanting the rules to be applied fairly - i.e. consistent with established rulings - especially when the ruling is in favour of someone who has shown a predeliction for getting rules bent in his favour before.

[QUOTE=Shelsman]At the very least, if there is something not covered by the rulebook that causes a problem they should amend the rulebook each time with an exact penalty before the start of the next season -is this stupidly impractical???
But that's completely different to saying that every possible case should be covered in the rulebook. Which do you want?

MrJoeSoap
08/11/2006, 1:45 AM
If Ronaldinho was suspended and played against Chelsea the other day what do you think UEFA would do?

Hopefully the first and only time that Jason McGuinness will be compared to Ronaldinho.

I really do hope that the replay, if/when it goes ahead, isn't crucial to the outcome of the league. Otherwise Shels "winning" the league, should they do so, won't be taken seriously.

CollegeTillIDie
08/11/2006, 6:24 AM
The Entire Rule Book of the League needs to be completely overhauled, before the merger takes place. Starting the morning after the Cup Final, and I would put Mr. Roddy and Mr. Byrne on the sub-committee to sort these issues out, as well as a representative from each of the following clubs, St.Patrick's Athletic, Kilkenny City, Bohemians, Galway United and Dundalk. Each of these clubs has to a greater or lesser degree been involved in many of the controversies surrounding , players registrtations and or suspensions over the past decade. Oh come to think of it put in Cork City, even though Plonk was responsible for their problems in the mid 1990's, it might set a marker for the future.

Another point to be made, is lines have to be drawn as to what is fair comment, and what is bringing the game into disrepute.
Pat Scully's comments were factual, the behaviour of the League clubs, and latterly the FAI's handling of it, were in fact what brought those comments about.

stickyjoe
08/11/2006, 7:33 AM
I`ve said it before and I`ll say it again, surely UEFA have a standard rule book. Take this as a template and get the leagues chairmen together to go through it in great detail and then let them all sign off on it.

Quick question on the Hargan suspension as I couldn`t be bothered reading through all the thredas, did he actually play games for Derry when he should of been suspended (regardless of whether the FAI informed Derry)?

If he did how come Derry did not know he was suspended as surely they keep track of yellow cards etc. or did they play him knowing he was suspended?

Shelsman
08/11/2006, 1:03 PM
I really do hope that the replay, if/when it goes ahead, isn't crucial to the outcome of the league.

I think we're all in that boat. Just as well Pat Dolan isn't involved or there's be fake medals and trophies floating around everywhere! :D

Shelsman
08/11/2006, 1:04 PM
I`ve said it before and I`ll say it again, surely UEFA have a standard rule book. Take this as a template and get the leagues chairmen together to go through it in great detail and then let them all sign off on it.

Managers too.

stickyjoe
10/11/2006, 7:33 AM
Bump.....anyone help me out with what the situation was with the Hargan suspension ?

Quick question on the Hargan suspension as I couldn`t be bothered reading through all the thredas, did he actually play games for Derry when he should of been suspended (regardless of whether the FAI informed Derry)?

If he did how come Derry did not know he was suspended as surely they keep track of yellow cards etc. or did they play him knowing he was suspended?

Stuttgart88
10/11/2006, 7:56 AM
Back to the thread title: is that Dan McDonnell of The Indo? I think he's been a breath of frsh air since mcDermott left and I enjoy his articles. I get the impression he's a fan as his enthusiasm clearly comes out in his writing. On international team issues his articles address many of the topics I like to see addressed.

Anyone know his background? I don't get newstalk over here.

Jaime
10/11/2006, 8:32 AM
Back to the thread title: is that Dan McDonnell of The Indo? I think he's been a breath of frsh air since mcDermott left and I enjoy his articles. I get the impression he's a fan as his enthusiasm clearly comes out in his writing. On international team issues his articles address many of the topics I like to see addressed.

Anyone know his background? I don't get newstalk over here.

He's a Dundalk fan; there the similarities with Gerry McDermott end. :)