PDA

View Full Version : The squads

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

bwagner
02/11/2006, 12:44 PM
Hi guys does anyone know when the a and b squads are out?

Paulie
02/11/2006, 2:08 PM
The full senior squad should be announced on Monday next week. We haven't had a B game in a few years but I'd say that squad will probably be announced on Monday as well.

olegunnar
02/11/2006, 2:34 PM
Both A & B squads are being announced at the same time. Probably before next Monday. A squad will be similar to what we are used to, added in would be all players returning from injury e.g. Given. Some of the fringe players, 5 caps or less, will be demoted to B squad if they aren't involved as A players, e.g. Ireland or Kelly. Pat Devlin has hinted that there are some surprises in the B squad. Anyone care to guess. I think Stokes, Clarke from Ispwich, Whelan from Sheff Weds & Garvan from Ipswich would be probables. Any other candidates??

Risteard
02/11/2006, 2:37 PM
Pat Devlin has hinted that there are some surprises in the B squad. Anyone care to guess.

John O'Shea?

Bluebeard
02/11/2006, 2:54 PM
Pat Devlin has hinted that there are some surprises in the B squad.
Tarzan O'Brien?

tetsujin1979
02/11/2006, 3:23 PM
I think Stokes, Clarke from Ispwich, Whelan from Sheff Weds & Garvan from Ipswich
Isn't Garvan still confined to his bed with post viral syndrome? The others I agree on, but Whelan really should be aiming for the first team

bwagner
02/11/2006, 3:59 PM
I hope Gavin Mahon of Watford is called up and liam lawrence

theworm2345
02/11/2006, 8:15 PM
I hope Gavin Mahon of Watford is called up and liam lawrence
Mahon has not declared for Ireland I dont think

Qwerty
03/11/2006, 12:50 AM
I'm sure Devlin will find places for a few of his boys. Crony.

greendeiseboy
03/11/2006, 10:05 AM
what about lee trundle. at least it must be worth having a look at him given his prolific goal record and our failure in that department lately. he might be a youngster but he's not exactly over the hill. he has also made it clear that he always wanted to play for us.

does gavin mc cann of villa qualify (injured at the moment) but o'neill has hailed him as his star player. i think he mayhave played underage for england but am not sure about his senior appearances.

Dr. Ogba
03/11/2006, 10:18 AM
what about lee trundle. at least it must be worth having a look at him given his prolific goal record and our failure in that department lately. he might be a youngster but he's not exactly over the hill. he has also made it clear that he always wanted to play for us.

does gavin mc cann of villa qualify (injured at the moment) but o'neill has hailed him as his star player. i think he mayhave played underage for england but am not sure about his senior appearances.

Trundle?.........nnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooo!!!!!! not again!!! :eek:

Gavin McCann played 1 senior international for England a few years back anyway so I'm thinkin thats not really a goer either!;)

greendeiseboy
03/11/2006, 10:23 AM
just checked out mc cann he has played one game in a friendly against spain in 2001 - 2nd half sub didn't impress errickson so hasn't played since. therfore i think if he qualifies he can still play for us.

as regards trundle what i said was no harm in having a look.

Dr. Ogba
03/11/2006, 10:40 AM
just checked out mc cann he has played one game in a friendly against spain in 2001 - 2nd half sub didn't impress errickson so hasn't played since. therfore i think if he qualifies he can still play for us.

as regards trundle what i said was no harm in having a look.

Harmless but pointless! There's at least half a dozen Irish strikers around at the moment that are younger than Trundle and have played at a higher level - Murphy, Clarke, Connolly, Rooney, Lee, Elliott...to name but a few. Would also even have the likes of Heffernan and Keogh as they have age on their sides and just for the EL brigade I would have Byrne ahead of him also....

olegunnar
03/11/2006, 10:43 AM
Jason Gavin from Drogs and Andy Keogh from S****horpe? Any other EL players serious contenders? I have a feeling Wes Houlahan from Blackpool will get a B call.

greendeiseboy
03/11/2006, 10:47 AM
desperation on my part brought on by our current mess. sorry not thinking straight (smashed up me car yesterday into the bargain) should be back to normal soon and start making sense again.

cavan_fan
03/11/2006, 11:01 AM
I assume they will but fringe players in the B Squad rather than the main squad so this could be an interesting one. Again will assume 23 in each squad.

A Squad

GK:
Given
Kenny
???

Def:
Finnan
O'Shea
Dunne
O'Brien
McShane
Carr

Mid
Carsley
Kilbane
A Reid
Duff
McGeady
Douglas
Kavanagh

Att
Keane
Doyle
Morrison

Beyond that it's tough to decide where you place players like Henderson, S Kelly, St Ledger, Miller, Elliot etc who would normally fill out the squad. I dont see any point in putting older players (e.g. Andy O'Brien) in the B squad. Hopefully the view will be a small A squad (20 players?) with B squad players ready to join up if/when necessary

tetsujin1979
03/11/2006, 1:12 PM

It does, but it doesn't mean we should approach him. Believe it or not, Francis Jeffers (by far the most hated player amongst my Arsenal-following mates, even now) qualifies for us as he's only played once for England - a friendly against Australia

greendeiseboy
03/11/2006, 1:33 PM
It does, but it doesn't mean we should approach him. Believe it or not, Francis Jeffers (by far the most hated player amongst my Arsenal-following mates, even now) qualifies for us as he's only played once for England - a friendly against Australia

call jeffers up so........ given that he has played for rangers and seen as its now fashionable to boo our own players i.e. o' shea, kilbane etc. it would be appropriate that we have a sort of booing mascot.... no matter how good or bad he plays we can boo him at every opportunity...........no doubt thats how some would see it.....

adamcarr
03/11/2006, 2:16 PM
Jason Gavin from Drogs and Andy Keogh from S****horpe? Any other EL players serious contenders?

Joe Gamble, Alan Bennett, Mick Devine and Jason Byrne. Kevin Deery of Derry City and Stephen Ward of Bohs have both been confirmed.

olegunnar
03/11/2006, 3:31 PM
We shouldn't rule out Terry Dixon, I'd like to see Alan O Brien involved too. Not convinced he merits A squad status

DmanDmythDledge
03/11/2006, 3:33 PM
I'd like to see Alan O Brien involved too. Not convinced he merits A squad status
He hasn't done anything to merit any squad.

Paddy Garcia
03/11/2006, 3:36 PM
He hasn't done anything to merit any squad.

Agree - he can't even get on the Newcastle bench when they have about a dozen injuries.

Concerned he is coming in for some stick (inc. me) when it is not his fault that Staunton has been daft enough to select him. And then to play him.

eirebhoy
03/11/2006, 4:49 PM
We shouldn't rule out Terry Dixon
Dixon is out injured for the long term.

Concerned he is coming in for some stick (inc. me) when it is not his fault that Staunton has been daft enough to select him.
Aye good point.

joe_barry80
03/11/2006, 6:11 PM

made one apperance for england

Billsthoughts
03/11/2006, 8:24 PM
Dixon is out injured for the long term.

Aye good point.

your spendin way too much time on them celtic forums wee barrah!:)

Superhoops
04/11/2006, 4:34 PM
Hi guys does anyone know when the a and b squads are out?

Both squads will be announced on Tuesday 7th November at 1230 at Tulip Inn Hotel, Dublin Airport.

olegunnar
04/11/2006, 4:51 PM
Thought I'd throw a couple of more names into the hat.... Sheff U pair of Alan Quinn & Derek Geary(are 3 Prem starts more likely to get Geary into B squad ahead of his EL equivalent?), Irelands forgotten man, Stephen McPhail at Cardiff - he is doing well for them, Paul Butler......just joking. Depending on the objective of B team, Alan Lee should be involved, has not started a proper involvement yet. Of course adding a Senior Squadder will reduce places for players we know less about, but thats where the objective is important. I think a good idea would be a Home Nations type B tournament, giving regular activity for U21 ineligible players.

dr_peepee
04/11/2006, 6:59 PM
I don't think anybody currently elligible for the underage sides should be included in the B squad (except for keepers). I mean the whole idea is to provide a platform for those guys currently without one. Plus, when you think about it, you'll learn as much from them at that level as you would throwingthem in to a one off game with players they've had little or no exposure to and most likely will never have again thereafter. It's a waste of a valuable showcase to include Clarke, Stokes etc

I've said this many times. It should only be used to view players that could potentially be assets down the line, either outright or subject to a bout of injuries. Not as a token gesture to Eircom league or Football leauge stallwarts.

I wouldn't include Trundle at this point with his age. We've enough depth and youth in that position that it's highly unlikely he'll ever be needed in the next couple of years. I don't really know enough about the eircom league to comment on who should be in but I feel there's little to be gained by including anyone over the age of 27, or there abouts. Fact is english football is the benchmark wheather we like it or not, and we really can't assess somebody unless the've been tested on a regular basis against a better standard of opposition than what the EL has to offer.

Point is we shouldn't waste the oppertunity to look at players needed in crucial areas. I think we've enough depth up front to waste a call up for too many striking options. Name just three (Alan Lee, Jason Byrne+1 ) and give them all run. Name 4 keepers Murphy, Stack + 2 including whoever is the regular back up for the 21's (Dunno if it's Supple or Logan)

In the defense, no point in dropping O'Brien to the B squad given we know what he's about. McCarthy straight in the first 11 with St Leger, maybe Alex Bruce on the bench, and Jason Gavin. Wouldn't call up Doherty. Again it's about exposue to players so why bother. S Kelly at right full. Left full is position that can be a gatway to the fist team squad. Are there any left fulls playing regularly to a high standard in the EL or in the football leagues?? Maybe CLive Clarke (got taken off after 27 minutes of his coventry debut, but one fan reckoned they seen him vomit on the pitch just before hand)

McPhail should start in the middle definatley. Anyone's gues who else. Micky Doyle, Willo Flood, Jay Tabb, Martin Rowlands. We've a derth of midfeilders all playing at a similar level on or around the first team squad.

Looking forward to seeing the squad announced though. Should make an interesting read.

Midgit
04/11/2006, 8:42 PM
Are there any left fulls playing regularly to a high standard in the EL or in the football leagues?? Maybe CLive Clarke (got taken off after 27 minutes of his coventry debut, but one fan reckoned they seen him vomit on the pitch just before hand)

KIETH FOY!!!!
He plays for Sligo Rovers and i quality! He was Captain of the Ireland U-16 team that won the European championship a few years back! it included Duff and Keane!

But on a more serious note what about Ian Harte? How come he has suddenly dissapeared of the radar?:confused:

Red&White Rover
04/11/2006, 8:45 PM
KIETH FOY!!!!
He plays for Sligo Rovers and i quality! He was Captain of the Ireland U-16 team that won the European championship a few years back! it included Duff and Keane!
:

have you been watching us all season? Keith has put on more weight as the season progressed and got lazier all along. No way is he even B international standard at this stage. The talent and ability is there, but the hunger for it to be used isnt, and thats why he went from starting in the Championship with Forest to playing with us.

as for Ian Harte, he was injured the last round of games, but should make the squad i would imagine this time....

Midgit
04/11/2006, 8:53 PM
have you been watching us all season? Keith has put on more weight as the season progressed and got lazier all along. No way is he even B international standard at this stage.

And thats why i did say at the end of my post "on a more serious note!"
Think before you post Red&White Rover!!!:D :D :D

Red&White Rover
04/11/2006, 8:56 PM
And thats why i did say at the end of my post "on a more serious note!"
Think before you post Red&White Rover!!!

more like read before I post...:o :p

Midgit
04/11/2006, 8:58 PM
more like read before I post...:o :p

:rolleyes:

dr_peepee
05/11/2006, 11:49 AM
I wonder will the two squads be exclusive. Like will someone be able to play a bit on tuesday and be on the bench on wednesday??

Was thinking about Lee and A.Quinn really.

tetsujin1979
05/11/2006, 1:04 PM
I wonder will the two squads be exclusive. Like will someone be able to play a bit on tuesday and be on the bench on wednesday??

Was thinking about Lee and A.Quinn really.

I doubt it, Thomas Butler played for he U-21's against Switzerland on the night before the 2-1 loss at home under Mick, and came on in that game and was completely ineffectual

Paddy Garcia
05/11/2006, 8:07 PM
A Squad
Mid
Carsley
Kilbane
A Reid
Duff
McGeady
Douglas
Kavanagh

Alan Quinn is a much better player than Kavanagh and should be in before him. MOM yesterday. Mind you so is McPhail, Miller and Lawrence. And possibly even Kennedy and Rowlands.

theworm2345
06/11/2006, 1:57 AM
So are the squads coming out tomorrow morning?
P.S.
I can't even argue for Connolly to be in the squad because he hasn't been scoring (though he has been playing well :o) :(

CollegeTillIDie
06/11/2006, 6:46 AM
Tarzan O'Brien?

This is an Irish representative team. Couldn't possibly call up a proven goalscorer :D

DeNiro
06/11/2006, 8:10 AM
Are the squads being announced today?

Superhoops
06/11/2006, 8:24 PM
Are the squads being announced today?

See Post #26 at top of page

Paddy Garcia
07/11/2006, 10:29 AM
What price on Stan pulling it out the bag, with a truly inspiring selection including some genuine surprises.

As a minimum I expect to see Ronnie O'Brien in the squad.

Risteard
07/11/2006, 11:38 AM
Hopefully.
I don't think there should be any eL players in either squad with the timing of these fixtures.
Hopefully any City players will pull out.

Risteard
07/11/2006, 12:09 PM
Any word yet?

dr_peepee
07/11/2006, 12:10 PM
Still waiting meself!!!....

soccerc
07/11/2006, 12:12 PM
Still waiting meself!!!....

Republic of Ireland Senior International Squad to play San Marino
Wednesday, November 15 2006 – Lansdowne Road

Name Club Caps Goals
Shay Given Newcastle United 77 0
Wayne Henderson Brighton 3 0
Nicky Colgan Barnsley 8 0
Stephen Carr Newcastle United 43 0
Steve Finnan Liverpool 42 1
Paul McShane West Bromwich Albion 1 0
Richard Dunne Manchester City 31 5
Stephen Kelly Birmingham 3 0
Andy O’Brien Portsmouth 26 1
Jonathan Douglas Leeds United 5 0
Lee Carsley Everton 30 0
Aiden McGeady Celtic 7 0
Damien Duff Newcastle United 62 7
Kevin Kilbane Wigan Athletic 74 6
John O’Shea Manchester United 34 1
Alan Quinn Sheffield United 7 3
Andy Reid Charlton 21 3
Stephen Ireland Manchester City 2 1
Robbie Keane Tottenham Hotspur 69 26
Kevin Doyle Reading 4 0
Alan Lee Ipswich Town 9 0
Stephen Elliott Sunderland 9 1
Clinton Morrison Crystal Palace 36 9

Republic of Ireland ‘B’ Squad to play Scotland ‘B’
Tuesday, November 14th, 2006 – Dalymount Park

Name Club Date of Birth
Darren Randolph Charlton Athletic 12-05-87
Shane Supple Ipswich Town 04-05-87
Kevin Foley Luton Town 01-11-84
Lewis Emanuel Luton Town 14-10-83
Sean St Ledger Preston North End 28-12-84
Alex Bruce Ipswich Town 28-09-84
Paddy Mc Carthy Leicester City 31-05-83
Joseph O’Cearuill Arsenal 09-02-87
Darron Gibson Royal Antwerp 25-10-87
Stephen Mc Phail Cardiff City 09-12-79
Joe Gamble Cork City 14-01-82
Kevin Deery Derry City 06-12-84
Darren Potter Wolves 21-12-84
Stephen Hunt Reading 01-08-81
Alan O’Brien Newcastle United 20-02-85
Lee Frecklington Lincoln City 08-09-85
Anthony Stokes Falkirk 25-07-88
Andy Keogh S****horpe 16-05-86
Roy O’Donovan Cork City 10-08-85
Stephen Ward Bohemians 20-08-85
Billy Clarke Ipswich Town 13-12-87

Risteard
07/11/2006, 12:15 PM
No Jason Byrne, strange.
Well done Roy and Joe.
A thanks but no thanks hopefully.

tetsujin1979
07/11/2006, 12:17 PM
No real surprises there, Ireland hasn't been playing much for Man City since the return from injury of a few players.
Is Elliott back to fitness?

Who??

DeNiro
07/11/2006, 12:17 PM
Who is Lee Frecklington?

Also, what's up with Paddy Kenny?

Donal81
07/11/2006, 12:21 PM

Exactly. Who on earth are these two?

Good to see McPhail back in the fold, to an extent.

Soper
07/11/2006, 12:24 PM
Frecklington...Jesus wept