PDA

View Full Version : Advice for Cork fans

MariborKev
10/10/2002, 6:36 PM
Here is some directions for those making the trip this weekend

You will approach Derry from Strabane/ Omagh direction. You should follow signs for the City Centre. This will involve crossing the Craigavon Bridge. Ensure that you are in the inside lane(th one closest to the river) . There is a roundabout at the end of the bridge- you should take the first exit. This will be between two large old shirt factories. You are now on Abercorn Road. Carry on up Abercorn Road which will bear right and you will be met by a set of traffic lights.

Now you have two options- either the Oakgrove or the ground. I would think that at the time you will be arriving that the bar will be closed so I will first tell you how to get to the ground. At the traffic lights there is a filter lane to go left. You should enter this lane and turn onto Bishop Street. Continue on down Bishop Street, pass a school on your left and keep going until you meet a main junction. At this junction you want to turn right. You are now on the Foyle Road. Stay on this road until you reach a mini-roundabout. At the mini-round take the second exit, for Lone Moor Road.

Continue on this road- you can either take the first or second entrance on the right and you will be in the Showgrounds Car Park. You have reached the Brandywell!!!!

However if you are looking for the Oakgrove you have to change your route slightly. At the traffic lights at the top of Abercorn Road you shouldn't enter the filter lane but indicate to turn right. As you turn right the Oakgrove is about 10/15 yards up, on yor right hand side.

As for where away fans go- we rarely have any so it isn't usually a problem. You have a choice to sit or stand. As far as I can remember it is €10 to get in to the ground. If you don't meet all the Derry fans in the Oakgrove then you can stand in "the Jungle" where many of those who went to Cork frequent. However for a more sedate viewing experience you can sit in the "New Stand"

Hope that helps- any other queries, just e-mail me on kevmcdaid@campus.ie

James
10/10/2002, 6:56 PM
cheers Kev
what kinda crowd ye expecting for it?

MariborKev
10/10/2002, 7:55 PM
James- it will be massive as they are selling tickets for the Cup Final

Though as I am sure you know from the games in Cork- the noon kickoff is a nightmare for any atmosphere- people are still hungover from last night and aren't half woke up yet

pete
11/10/2002, 10:29 AM
Bring your own sambos too James - dunno if was looking in the wrong places but virtually everywhere seemed to be closed on a sunday in Derry. ;)

Has the 1 pound sterling for 1 punt exchange rate been updated for the Euro?

Schumi
11/10/2002, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by pete

Has the 1 pound sterling for 1 punt exchange rate been updated for the Euro?

Last time I was there, it was the normal exchange rate but most places would only accept € notes not coins.

pete
11/10/2002, 1:30 PM
Originally posted by Maribor
However for a more sedate viewing experience you can sit in the "New Stand"

Does that stand have any actual name. The stand at the cross is the officially the Donie Forde stand but usually just called the main stand...

MariborKev
11/10/2002, 2:44 PM
No- it is called the New Stand as it was bulit more recently that the other stand. The other stand is called............."The Old Stand"

Simple names for simple people

pete
11/10/2002, 4:46 PM
Transportation issues have curtailed any thoughts i had of making 2nd appearance at the Brandywell...

Did i hear somewher its called the Maggie T Stand?

:confused: