PDA

View Full Version : New Airline Hand Luggage Restrictions

pete
31/10/2006, 5:38 PM
New airport luggage restrictions come into force Monday
31/10/2006 - 15:45:12

Airline passengers are being reminded of new hand luggage regulations coming into force next Monday.

The European-wide law bans containers of liquid exceeding 100 millilitres, including soft drinks, shampoos, creams and sprays from hand luggage.

Passengers can carry small quantities through security in clear plastic bags.

The Irish Travel Agents Association has called on airport authorities not to push up the prices of water and drinks in duty free.

BreakingNews
(http://www.breakingnews.ie/2006/10/31/story283277.html)

I am all for improved security but those restrictions are unnecessary & overkill. If someone want to dangerous chemicals on board a plane there are any number of means to achieve this & easily evade security checks. is cavity checks the next step?

:rolleyes:

Took me 1 hour to get through dublin security last week so only going to get worse.

:(

BohsPartisan
01/11/2006, 9:23 AM
Took me 1 hour to get through dublin security last week so only going to get worse.

:(

:eek:
What time were you flying at? Did that include check in or was that Security alone?

dfx-
01/11/2006, 10:49 AM
I'd rather take my chances tbh.

The infuriating slow, sardine experience at Dublin Airport takes the all the will out of me to go on the holiday before I even get on the plane. Another restriction added to that...you'd swear they want to keep everyone in the country..

drinkfeckarse
01/11/2006, 11:22 AM
It's not as strict as you think though. We passed through Cork on our way back to Edinburgh 2 weeks ago. Now I have always found Cork's security to be very thorough and they were again on this occasion even asking me to remove my belt, which I don't get asked to do elsewhere.

However, just as we got to the security check through we realised we had our sons bottle of diluted juice in the bag. My wife quickly showed it to them and said how we had forgot to empty it and they didn't bother about it.

I was under the impression that they would get you to drink a little of it first?

Dodge
01/11/2006, 11:53 AM
Full press release from IAAT

---
The Irish Travel Agents Associati`on (ITAA) today advised the travelling public to brief themselves on new Europe wide rules limiting liquids in hand luggage which come into effect on Monday 6 November.
From Monday next, passengers will not be allowed to bring any container of liquid, gel, spray, cream, etc that exceeds 100mls in their hand baggage. This is a very small volume. For example, a typical shampoo bottle would not be allowed. Many toiletries including standard sizes of shaving foam normally come in tubes and bottles larger than 100ml.
The new EU rules state:
“You are only allowed to take small quantities of liquids in your hand luggage. These liquids must be in individual containers with a maximum capacity of 100 millilitres each. You must pack these containers in one transparent, re-sealable plastic bag of not more than one litre capacity per passenger”
Outlining the rules to agents and consumers ITAA Chief Executive, Simon Nugent said: “We all support clear security restrictions that make air travel safer and therefore more convenient. However, the travelling public need rules explained in advance otherwise we can expect chaos in the airports, once again, next Monday.
“Airport management and the Department of Transport must clearly spell out to consumers now, how the rules will change. It is surprising that these rules, agreed a couple of weeks ago have not yet been publicised. As of 31 October the websites of the Dublin Airport Authority, Aer Lingus and Ryanair still do not explain the changes in the law.
The ITAA is also seeking a “no profiteering” promise from airport and airlines. The National Consumer Agency should watch closely to make sure “air-side” cost of water and toiletries in shops and on board planes will not increase once the security restrictions come into force.
Mr Nugent said most travellers taking short trips or going away on business for a couple of days need to rethink their packing strategy and probably shop around for small versions of their favourite toiletries.
However, he noted that The European Union is also keen to stress that certain arrangements are still allowed.
“You can still:
* pack liquids in bags that you check-in - the new rules only affect hand luggage
* carry in your hand luggage medicines and dietary requirements, including baby foods, for use during the trip. You may be asked for proof that they are needed
* buy liquids such as drinks and perfumes either in an EU airport shop when located beyond the point where you show your boarding pass or on-board an aircraft operated by an EU airline.”
ITAA member Travel Agents are now being supplied with the details of the new regulations and will be happy to help their clients understand the implications.
Mr Nugent added “It is ironic, that at a time when Aer Lingus are introducing charges for checked in bags and Ryanair are increasing their fees, that passengers who want to carry on their luggage are increasingly being forced to check it into the hold thanks to security regulations. We need a complete rethink on baggage charges.”

Macy
01/11/2006, 12:27 PM
Mr Nugent added “It is ironic, that at a time when Aer Lingus are introducing charges for checked in bags and Ryanair are increasing their fees, that passengers who want to carry on their luggage are increasingly being forced to check it into the hold thanks to security regulations. We need a complete rethink on baggage charges.”
Ironic or sheer profiteering?

Dodge
01/11/2006, 12:31 PM
The ITAA is also seeking a “no profiteering” promise from airport and airlines
They were fairly obvious about it macy

BohsPartisan
01/11/2006, 1:27 PM
Kills me too that this will limit the amount of cheap booze I can bring with me to what I can fit into my check in luggage without putting it overweight. Of course you can still buy booze in the duty free/travel value shops but they are often more expensive than ordinary shops in many European countries. Also the stuff is more generic in the DF shops so you are missing out on unique local produce like Raki (the propper home made stuff).

pete
01/11/2006, 11:06 PM
:eek:
What time were you flying at? Did that include check in or was that Security alone?

Between 4 & 5pm on a tuesday & just only the security queue. I didn't know to laugh or cry at the DAA "getting you there..." slogans on their adverts. :(

The new restrictions make no sense whatsoever.

I don't know what difference a resealable plastic bag or 100ml limit will make cos short of body searches you can stray pouches of liquids allover your body.

Could be nice business idea in designer toilety containers now as people will have to display in plastic bags.

Travelling back Cork-Dublin Monday morning so will let ye know how i get on.

mypost
05/11/2006, 4:19 AM
I'm sure Al-Qaeda's recruiters are rolling around in hysterics at this news. :(

I still take offence to having my shoes checked for explosives at checkpoints, just because in 100 years of flying, a nutjob had a device in his shoes once, so now we're all treated with suspicion by airport authorities. Shoes are not necessities anymore, they are potentially WMD as well. :rolleyes:

All public transport worldwide is vulnerable to acts of terrorism, not only planes. Terrorism is more common on trains and buses than on flights yet, there is nowhere near the same level of security on them. Why? We're doing the terrorists work for them, with panicky OTT reactions like this. :mad:

pete
06/11/2006, 3:11 PM
Travelling back Cork-Dublin Monday morning so will let ye know how i get on.

Longer than normal security line in Cork airport (in fact for new airport security area badly designed as would not require very long queue before people blocking escalator & food court) but probably just because peak morning time.

I didn't bring any liquids through security as going back to Cork next weekend. However I did as normal have shaver & not queries about that. For all the security checks airlines still give Business/First Class stainless steel knives & korks!

I also did not notice anyone using new freezer type plastic ziploc bags.

Been flying a lot recently & Dublin no longer asks to remove shoes for majority of people. Heathrow does ask everyone though. Noticed recently that security checks could be a lot quicker if some of the idiots in the queue could be removed. I've learned there is always someone who is incapable of preparing in advance - how difficult is to remove your coat, laptop, belt etc... in advance so queue can move efficiently?

Ash
07/11/2006, 7:46 AM
Jaysus, I'm going to Sweden with work this weekend and have to fly
Dubin -> Copenhagen -> Stolkholm -> Ronneby on Sunday ... I'll be
queueing for ages!!!

Leave Athlone at 7.00am should arrive in Karlskrona around 10.30pm :eek:

BohsPartisan
07/11/2006, 8:07 AM
I'm flying to Amsterdam on Saturday. My Flight is at 6 AM :eek:
Did it before the same way, very tiring. Up at 3:30 to get to the airport for 4ish.

Dodge
07/11/2006, 8:13 AM
Noticed recently that security checks could be a lot quicker if some of the idiots in the queue could be removed. I've learned there is always someone who is incapable of preparing in advance - how difficult is to remove your coat, laptop, belt etc... in advance so queue can move efficiently?
Agree with that completely. same people moan about how lng its taking them too