PDA

View Full Version : Keane - McCarthy - Let this be the end of it

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Dawn_Run
31/10/2006, 3:55 PM
From rte.ie

McCarthy reveals Keane reconciliation
Tuesday, 31 October 2006 4:36

Roy Keane will face his former nemesis when Sunderland travel to Molineux on November 24

Wolves manager Mick McCarthy and Sunderland counterpart Roy Keane have made up their differences after their World Cup spat in 2002.

McCarthy told the club's official website: 'I wanted to enquire about a couple of players and I always believe that you should speak to the manager direct.

'That's no different with Roy now he is manager at Sunderland, so I picked up the phone and he accepted the call.

'We both felt it was the right time to talk and it was a cordial conversation. We chatted about the players and a couple of other things that will remain private.

The former Republic of Ireland boss believes the time has come to move on and added: 'It's been four years now and it should be put to bed. Life goes on. The only two people who weren't getting anything out of it were me and Roy.

'It's the media that drives it on and we've both got difficult enough jobs without others putting spanners in it.'

Wolves, who face Sunderland at Molineux on November 24, could soon have Black Cats defender Neill Collins in their line-up.

McCarthy is closing in on a loan deal for former Scotland Under-21 defender Collins, whom he signed from Dumbarton in 2004 when in charge at Sunderland.

OwlsFan
31/10/2006, 4:08 PM
Good man Mick. Always the gentleman.

blobbyblob
31/10/2006, 4:12 PM
The Next Ireland Joint Managers

livehead1
31/10/2006, 4:13 PM
Very unlucky to be sacked from Ireland, and i dont think im alone in the belief that he should possibly still be in the job now.

Dawn_Run
31/10/2006, 4:16 PM
The Next Ireland Joint Managers

Me and OwlsFan?

blobbyblob
31/10/2006, 4:19 PM
Ehhhhhh! - No!

Donal81
31/10/2006, 4:22 PM
The former Republic of Ireland boss believes the time has come to move on and added: 'It's been four years now and it should be put to bed. Life goes on. The only two people who weren't getting anything out of it were me and Roy.

'It's the media that drives it on and we've both got difficult enough jobs without others putting spanners in it.'

Maybe he shouldn't have written a book about it then.

Dawn_Run
31/10/2006, 4:23 PM
Anyone else see it as a tad hypocritical of McCarthy coming out and bringing it all up again by saying that it should be put to bed? I'd forgotten all about it until he goes and makes a statement. Eejit - he's scared of what might happen on Nov 24th if you ask me.

OwlsFan
31/10/2006, 4:28 PM
Anyone else see it as a tad hypocritical of McCarthy coming out and bringing it all up again by saying that it should be put to bed? I'd forgotten all about it until he goes and makes a statement. Eejit - he's scared of what might happen on Nov 24th if you ask me.

Why say "Let this be the end of it" and then post a comment like that? I think he's taken the steam out of the forthcoming game and fair dues to him.

Fergie's Son
31/10/2006, 4:52 PM
The right move for both of them. Takes the sting out of the game which is not a bad thing at all.

tricky_colour
31/10/2006, 5:08 PM
I notice Roy seems to have grown a beard. I saw it in an interview
for Sky Sports today, I can find a picture of it yet though.

dr_peepee
31/10/2006, 5:22 PM
Christy Brown!!

ken foree
31/10/2006, 5:25 PM
i lament the loss of the beard in football. i mean c'mon.. we're men!

zinedineontour
31/10/2006, 5:37 PM

not at all .. its been well and truly done to the death discussing this .. time to build a bridge . he was enquiring about players course there gonna have a chat . its over .

bennocelt
31/10/2006, 7:07 PM
The right move for both of them. Takes the sting out of the game which is not a bad thing at all.

yeah agreed, i kind of guessed something like this would happen
i like roy keane, and i like mick, two great servants of irish football, its good to see them doing ok with their clubs

Brooklyn ZMB
31/10/2006, 7:59 PM
I would have love to have been inside Keane's head for that phonecall.

Marked Man
31/10/2006, 8:17 PM

Forgotten all about Saipan, had you? Somehow I don't believe you.

theworm2345
31/10/2006, 9:00 PM
Great---now if we can just bring them back in time 4.25 years well be in business

nedder
01/11/2006, 8:25 AM

No,
Fair play to Mick for picking up the phone..

Dr. Ogba
01/11/2006, 8:27 AM
i lament the loss of the beard in football. i mean c'mon.. we're men!

Olof Mellberg - greatest beard in football today, perhaps even ever...:D

antrimgreen
01/11/2006, 8:35 AM

I wish i could forget Saipan, however it is something that i will take to the grave with me, i will remember the what could have been, and the excitment of the tournament for the boys in green, and of course i will remember the whole Keane saga.

bennocelt
01/11/2006, 9:19 AM
Olof Mellberg - greatest beard in football today, perhaps even ever...:D

Can any of ye rememebr the guy for sheff utd, Cork ? that wouldnt shave till he scored, hard for a defender, but hemanaged one in the FA semi-final
years ago, not that last time sheff utd were there but the time befire
he had a cracking beard

Stuttgart88
01/11/2006, 9:24 AM
Alexei Lalas, Abel Xavier, Ricky Villa, Mickey Droy (?) and George Berry of Wolves. They'd all be up there. And our own Tony Grealish of course.

tetsujin1979
01/11/2006, 9:54 AM
Chuck Norris!

Back on topic - I doubt that Mick called purely to check on the availability of players. With the Wolves - Sunderland game coming up and the media hype that was inevitably going to build up to it (Sky Sports have alreday moved it to Sunday for live coverage - Paddy Power were taking bets on whether or not they would shake hands) I reckon Mick decided to bite the bullet (so to speak) and have a word with Roy to nip this in the bud before it gets blown out of all proportion. And fair play to him for doing it.

lofty9
01/11/2006, 11:01 AM

This story was all over the back of Sunday's papers. However, it was Roy Keane who brought it to the media's attention then.

NY Hoop
01/11/2006, 11:42 AM
Good man Mick. Always the gentleman.

Exactly.

KOH

Billsthoughts
01/11/2006, 11:43 AM
Pity then he was such a s*it manager....

Dr. Ogba
01/11/2006, 1:55 PM

:D
Spot on, forget about Saipan and all that crap. I'll never forgive him for the match we drew away to Macedonia (Euro 2000 qualifiers) when we were 1-0 up and literally coasting to victory and he decides to be "tactical" and bring on Matt Holland for his bloody debut then we go and sit back, concede, and subsequently not win the group that was ours for the taking...

Actually, on top of that, I'll never forgive him for actually giving Matt "the Invisible Man" Holland his debut in the first place....

Paddy Garcia
01/11/2006, 2:31 PM
:D
Spot on, forget about Saipan and all that crap. I'll never forgive him for the match we drew away to Macedonia (Euro 2000 qualifiers) when we were 1-0 up and literally coasting to victory and he decides to be "tactical" and bring on Matt Holland for his bloody debut then we go and sit back, concede, and subsequently not win the group that was ours for the taking...

Actually, on top of that, I'll never forgive him for actually giving Matt "the Invisible Man" Holland his debut in the first place....

Not Matt Hollands fault, and a mistake subsequent managers failed to learn from.

Disagree about Holland - goals against Portugal & Cameroon and many highly visible performances were much appreciated. If you want an invisible midfield look no further than those games we have played since he retired.

drinkfeckarse
01/11/2006, 3:22 PM
I always thought Holland was tidy enough. Nothing spectacular but simple and effective.

OwlsFan
01/11/2006, 3:44 PM

Good man, Bill. Always the constructive comment:rolleyes: .

Rubbish manager ok - one competitive home defeat (his last game) in 6 years as the Irish manager and qualification for a World Cup for only the third time in our history. Also got to the last 16, something Scotland has never done, and lost out on penos only. Respected by all his players but one.

Matt Holland - certainly can't be blamed for that defeat in Macedonia. Wasn't there some stupid handball in the box? Scored great goals against Portugal and the Cameroon.

Dr. Ogba
01/11/2006, 3:44 PM
Lets be honest here the only reason Holland looked alright for Ireland was that most of his appearances were alongside the aforementioned R.Keane. How he has been considered a premiership footballer for so long will always remain a mystery to me...

OwlsFan
01/11/2006, 3:47 PM
Lets be honest here the only reason Holland looked alright for Ireland was that most of his appearances were alongside the aforementioned R.Keane. How he has been considered a premiership footballer for so long will always remain a mystery to me...

I don't think one R.Keane was beside him in Japan when he scored against the Cameroon but I may be wrong ;)

Billsthoughts
01/11/2006, 3:53 PM
Good man, Bill. Always the constructive comment:rolleyes: .

Rubbish manager ok - one competitive home defeat (his last game) in 6 years as the Irish manager and qualification for a World Cup for only the third time in our history. Also got to the last 16, something Scotland has never done, and lost out on penos only. Respected by all his players but one.

qualified for a tournament at his 3rd attempt mainly due to roy keanes desire to play in one. too many horrible performances to mention. Iceland at home? malta away?(yes they nearly bet us) croatia away? russia away? swiss at home? belgium away? spain in WC? and the little matter of his fantastic club record where he has managed 3 clubs. relegating sunderland twice and millwall went down the season he left them with much help from him.
Crap manager and no matter how many ridiculous "facts" you are goin to throw out there owlsfan(as ****in usual:rolleyes: ) you would convince me that what I saw with my own eyes wasnt fact.

Dr. Ogba
01/11/2006, 3:58 PM
I don't think one R.Keane was beside him in Japan when he scored against the Cameroon but I may be wrong ;)

Conveniently papering over the cracks my friend! I'll admit that it was a great strike and he scored a couple of other goals for us (Portugal most notably) but lets be honest here our midfield in WC 2002 was nothing short of terrible. I can remember in most games we played (even Saudi Arabia!!!) the opposition's midfield waltzing through ours on several occasions, thanks to the invisible man himself and his slightly less invisible partner (Kinsella)

Sorry am not trying to open up a Saipan can of worms here - just making my point that Matt Holland is, in fact, crap...:p

zinedineontour
01/11/2006, 7:28 PM
Conveniently papering over the cracks my friend! I'll admit that it was a great strike and he scored a couple of other goals for us (Portugal most notably) but lets be honest here our midfield in WC 2002 was nothing short of terrible. I can remember in most games we played (even Saudi Arabia!!!) the opposition's midfield waltzing through ours on several occasions, thanks to the invisible man himself and his slightly less invisible partner (Kinsella)

Sorry am not trying to open up a Saipan can of worms here - just making my point that Matt Holland is, in fact, crap...:p

matt holland was far from crap .. would walk into our team no bother still at this stage of his career. our midfiled in wc 2002 did very well and with a bit more luck would have been in the quarters . Staunton should ditch his pride and get holland back in the team.

OwlsFan
02/11/2006, 8:20 AM
qualified for a tournament at his 3rd attempt mainly due to roy keanes desire to play in one. too many horrible performances to mention. Iceland at home? malta away?(yes they nearly bet us) croatia away? russia away? swiss at home? belgium away? spain in WC? and the little matter of his fantastic club record where he has managed 3 clubs. relegating sunderland twice and millwall went down the season he left them with much help from him.
Crap manager and no matter how many ridiculous "facts" you are goin to throw out there owlsfan(as ****in usual:rolleyes: ) you would convince me that what I saw with my own eyes wasnt fact.

Isn't it amazing the spin that can be put on things? When McCarthy left Millwall they had just been knocked off the top of Division One table - they were relegated at the end of the season under Bruce Rioch which strikes me that McCarthy had been doing a great job there.

Every Manager will have poor performances. Let's look at the 5 games you mention out of
the 68 he was manager for. Switzerland (our first ever home defeat under Mick) and Russia came at the end of his tenure. Belgium away was a great performance and but for an incorrect decision by a linesman giving the throw in to Belgium, we may well have won that game. I was at that game and the Spanish game you mention which we lost on penos - if that was a "horrible performance", I am not sure what you expect from the side? Croatia was brutal ok.

Mick Mc took over an ageing Irish team and had to rebuild from almost scratch. He did a great job. Got us to two play offs and qualified us for Korea/Japan. He also got Sunderland to one play off and then got them promoted, despite the club being debt ridden and having no money to spend.

I saw Irish teams with far more talent than Mick's teams finish bottom of their group or fail to qualify for anything.

You are negative about everything Irish other than Roy Keane:rolleyes:

drinkfeckarse
02/11/2006, 8:22 AM
Re: Holland playing for us now

Now we all like a laugh but that's just taking things too far.

nedder
02/11/2006, 8:36 AM
qualified for a tournament at his 3rd attempt mainly due to roy keanes desire to play in one.

Don't make me laugh......

Dr. Ogba
02/11/2006, 8:46 AM
matt holland was far from crap .. would walk into our team no bother still at this stage of his career. our midfiled in wc 2002 did very well and with a bit more luck would have been in the quarters . Staunton should ditch his pride and get holland back in the team.

I really am hoping that there's more than a hint of sarcasm to that post or maybe you had a couple of drinks when posting that...I would never EVER have Matt Holland back near an Irish team, can't pass, can't tackle, never stamps any authority on any game - he's basically an anonymous player and wouldn't even be good enough to warrant a place in this squad if he was available.

Saying that our midfield did well in 02 is purely rose-tinted memories - sure even the Saudi's dominated our midfield for long periods! (Yes the same Saudi team that lost something like 8-0 to ze Germans)...

Stuttgart88
02/11/2006, 9:18 AM
Yes the same Saudi team that lost something like 8-0 to ze Germans
and 1-0 to cameroon.

Dr. Ogba
02/11/2006, 9:30 AM
and 1-0 to cameroon.

Cameroon were no great shakes that year either, which was proven by the fact that they didn't qualify out of a very poor group.

3-0 against the Saudi's flattered us, it really did. They dominated for long periods after the first goal went in and it was really only when we got the second (from a set piece might I add) that they really dropped the heads...

Stuttgart88
02/11/2006, 9:40 AM
I agree, we were poor between the first and second goals. No doubt. I was there. The game was played in a virtual monsoon - an excuse maybe? Nerves played a part too I think, but that's when leadership in the middle was called for I admit.

I thought Kinsella & Holland did a good job at WC02 by and large. They also had good games without Keane in qualifying, notably away to Estonia. Holland scored that day too I think. But comparing this class of player to Keane is ridiculous. We were blessed to have such a player, but that doesn't mean that the others shouldn't be appreciated. I'd take a Kinsella / Holland paretnership from 5 yrs ago over what we have now any day.

I always felt that Holland's neat & tidy approach, whilst not of obvious appeal to spectators & pundits, was exactly the type of midfield contribution his team mates would appreciate.

nedder
02/11/2006, 9:42 AM
[QUOTE=Dr. Ogba;566706]Cameroon were no great shakes that year either, which was proven by the fact that they didn't qualify out of a very poor group.QUOTE]

Poor group???????
With World cup finalists in it, and the top rated African team? Plus ourselves who happened to stop Holland from qualifying.

I remember before the cameroon game, everyone was arguing over how much we would lose by. Then we go and get a deserved draw and suddenly Cameroon are sh*te.

Bottom line, we performed well in WC 02, without RK, who apparently, from comments above was so deperate to play in a World Cup.

Dr. Ogba
02/11/2006, 10:21 AM
I agree, we were poor between the first and second goals. No doubt. I was there. The game was played in a virtual monsoon - an excuse maybe? Nerves played a part too I think, but that's when leadership in the middle was called for I admit.

I thought Kinsella & Holland did a good job at WC02 by and large. They also had good games without Keane in qualifying, notably away to Estonia. Holland scored that day too I think. But comparing this class of player to Keane is ridiculous. We were blessed to have such a player, but that doesn't mean that the others shouldn't be appreciated. I'd take a Kinsella / Holland paretnership from 5 yrs ago over what we have now any day.

I always felt that Holland's neat & tidy approach, whilst not of obvious appeal to spectators & pundits, was exactly the type of midfield contribution his team mates would appreciate.

I think it would be unfair on any Irish midfielder of the time and at the present to be compared to Keane, it just shouldn't be done as he wa a once-off. For Holland, what you would call neat and tidy, I would call anonymous and ineffective, matter of opinion I suppose (even though I'm right :D )

Poor group???????
With World cup finalists in it, and the top rated African team? Plus ourselves who happened to stop Holland from qualifying.

I remember before the cameroon game, everyone was arguing over how much we would lose by. Then we go and get a deserved draw and suddenly Cameroon are sh*te.

Bottom line, we performed well in WC 02, without RK, who apparently, from comments above was so deperate to play in a World Cup.

Cameroon were hyped as a great team, nothing more. In reality, as shown, they were average at best...

Look my point is that we flattered to deceive in that WC and rode our luck quite a few times and at the root of this was a distinctly average midfield of which Matt Holland was an integral part. When asked to step up to the plate and dominate the midfield he just wasn't up to it...Funnily enough I actually preffered Kinsella as a player cause there was a bit more bite to him, he was always willing to put the tackle in but, as a midfield partnership they just didn't work as they were too similar and neither could pass the ball!!

Also I'm trying to make this argument without mentioning RK which has been done to death :rolleyes:

Stuttgart88
02/11/2006, 10:56 AM
To be consistent, I've got to acknowledge that when I swa Alan Quinn & Matt Holland play side-by-side in the Unity Cup at The Valley, Quinn stood out by a mile as the more effective player.

Billsthoughts
02/11/2006, 11:37 AM
Don't make me laugh......

simple people laugh easily.:rolleyes:

Owlsfan you cant see anything through those saipan tinted glasses of yours.
They were dyin to get rid of Macarthy at Millwall at the time. and they were headin down and they did go down. yes the spain match was brutal. the swiss match was shocking. you say last match in charge as if that excuses it? Russia away was a farce. Swiss home was a farce as well. Macedonia away twice were farces. Iceland home and away farces. belgium home and away ? Ireland only played marginaly better in second leg but were played off the park in first leg despite taking a one nil lead. Holland home ,portugal home and cyprus away were all in no small part due to Roy Keanes influence on all the games. he had a massive game in them all which dragged the rest of them with him. holland away we were two goals up and still threw it away. we found our true level in the World cup. couldnt beat anyone except a very poor saudi team. were blessed against spain to get to extra time and were poor against cameroon. the first two keane -less games of the following campaign were absolutely clueless performances agaisnt swiss and russia. anyone who looks back on macarthys time as some golden era in irish football either only started getting into it around the qualifiers for the 2002 WC or knows nothing about football. thats you in the second category owlsfan. as for your roy keane dig at me? your the one who is the sheffield wednesday fan. didnt think they had much to do with Ireland? fact is Macarthy qualified for one out of 3 tournaments. if rebuilding is an excuse he shouldnt have taken the job. echoes of staunton now. if he needs to learn how to be a manager he should feck off and do it on someone elses time. Interesting thing in Magraths book that fergie basically admits he didnt have enough experience to know how to handle certain situations when he first took over Man U. where the hell does that leave the FAIs policy of recruiting and overpayin the Wallsal waterboy?

NY Hoop
02/11/2006, 11:56 AM
Mick has said that he was too inexperienced when he took the Irish job. However he, like Stan, couldnt turn it down.

Mick never let his country down. And if your pal had so much desire to play in a WC where was he during it?

Facts are we qualified for a World Cup under Mick's tenure. Take away a last mninte goal in Iran and we went through the whole qualification and tournament unbeaten.

In his first campaign we were one goal from qualifying. Not bad after blooding so many new players. Granted we should have got to Euro 2000 though.

And as owlsfan rightly says there have been more talented Irish teams that never qualified for a tournament.

KOH

Emmet
02/11/2006, 12:46 PM

We could certainly do with Matt Holland now!!

Emmet
02/11/2006, 12:51 PM
were blessed against spain to get to extra time and were poor against cameroon

Not too sure about being 'blessed' there Bill - Ian Harte missed a pen which if he had not bottled would have meant we'd have avoided extra time altogether! The first 20 against Cameroon were poor but once the lads settled they outplayed Cameroon comprehensively and created enough chances to win!!