PDA

View Full Version : Derry v Sligo

CharlesThompson
31/10/2006, 11:46 AM
Can anyone tell me if there are plans to show this match live tonight either on the telly or online?

DmanDmythDledge
31/10/2006, 11:49 AM
No. It's on radio though.

Schumi
31/10/2006, 11:50 AM
Don't think so. I heard on the radio this morning that RTE would be providing live coverage on the radio so I assume that's all that's available.

DmanDmythDledge
31/10/2006, 11:51 AM
Don't think so. I heard on the radio this morning that RTE would be providing live coverage on the radio so I assume that's all that's available.
Radio Foyle and Ocean FM are broadcasting it as well.

Shedzer
31/10/2006, 12:28 PM
www.oceanfm.ie Radio

Maynard
31/10/2006, 3:01 PM
Can anyone tell me if there are plans to show this match live tonight either on the telly or online?

You forget that a London club full of more continentals than a Benetton add campaign, run on Russian dirty money are playing Catalunia...Oh and RTE 1 and TG4 are just broadcasting sh1te...so, urm...you know:rolleyes:

CharlesThompson
31/10/2006, 3:12 PM
Who are the neutrals up for in this one? I hope Sligo do it.

BrayUnknowns
31/10/2006, 3:26 PM
Derry for me

DmanDmythDledge
31/10/2006, 3:33 PM
You forget that a London club full of more continentals than a Benetton add campaign, run on Russian dirty money are playing Catalunia...Oh and RTE 1 and TG4 are just broadcasting sh1te...so, urm...you know:rolleyes:
FFS cop on. It is a bit unreasonable to expect anyone to show the game at such short notice. RTÉ can't show the game as they have already paid to show the CL. I doubt they would show it even if they could as they will show whatever will get the bigger audience.

TV stations also have budgets. TG4 have showed a number of games this season, including one at the weekend, and plan to broadcast another one in a few weeks.

Dodge
31/10/2006, 3:40 PM
You'll also find the vast vast majority of el fans would watch Barca v Chelsea instead anyway. So if the hardcore won't watch it, you've no chance

passerrby
31/10/2006, 5:04 PM
at the end of the day "as roy would say" tv companies will show what the viewing public want not what a small group of people like us want, we are not a viable commercial product

Sheridan
31/10/2006, 5:15 PM
at the end of the day "as roy would say" tv companies will show what the viewing public want not what a small group of people like us want, we are not a viable commercial product
That's not an assertion supported by the viewing figures. Although I would, admittedly, alternate between the two if the Cup game were being broadcast. Barca-Chelsea is largely meaningless in the greater scheme of things and will probably peter out into a tepid draw.

I'm rootin' for Sligo.

Magicme
31/10/2006, 6:50 PM
Sligo for me.

BohDiddley
31/10/2006, 7:09 PM
The FAI Cup semi-final and people here, of all places, are defending the decision not to show it. Sometimes I despair.
If RTE and TG4 were run on the basis of what is 'a viable commercial product' (retch) then they wouldn't exist. But they seem to make an exception when it comes to bringing us the antics of that Irish national treasure, Chelsea FC.

bohs til i die
31/10/2006, 8:04 PM
The FAI Cup semi-final and people here, of all places, are defending the decision not to show it. Sometimes I despair.
If RTE and TG4 were run on the basis of what is 'a viable commercial product' (retch) then they wouldn't exist. But they seem to make an exception when it comes to bringing us the antics of that Irish national treasure, Chelsea FC.

In fairness I think Chelsea v Barcelona has become a great rivalry and tonights game is full of incident. you cannot blame RTE for showing a top class CL games that was more likely to provide top quality entertainment.

iceman
31/10/2006, 8:13 PM
Just got the first few minutes on Radio 1 MW while driving home from work. Sligo 'keeper O'Hara injured in pre-match warm up!

Dr.Nightdub
31/10/2006, 8:57 PM
3-0 Derry at half time. Game over methinks. Definitely not looking forward to the final. :(

refjohn
31/10/2006, 9:08 PM
4-0 in first minute of second half. Farren again

sonofstan
31/10/2006, 9:51 PM
Guess we'll have our new manager fairly soon so

Sheridan
31/10/2006, 9:52 PM
Say, do you reckon this oul fella doing colour commentary on RTÉ might just possibly have a bit of a thing for Derry?

Aaron
31/10/2006, 10:19 PM
Ended 5-0. Great performance and Farren's 2nd was a cracker!! Also a an apperance from Superman and Santa Claus.

Mr A
31/10/2006, 11:46 PM
Also a an apperance from Superman and Santa Claus

It's the fight everyone wants to see.

BohDiddley
01/11/2006, 9:57 AM
... you cannot blame RTE for showing a top class CL games that was more likely to provide top quality entertainment.
Absolutely not. I'm not suggesting for a minute that it shouldn't be shown.
But they have three channels.
What's galling is that not one channel on the island saw fit to show the semi-final.

bohs til i die
01/11/2006, 10:01 AM
What's galling is that not one channel on the island saw fit to show the semi-final.

not really, the first game was live and I dont think TV schedules would be changed at such short notice

Maynard
01/11/2006, 11:15 AM
Absolutely not. I'm not suggesting for a minute that it shouldn't be shown.
But they have three channels.

Exactly. RTE 1 and TG4 could really have done with some livening up last night, tripe pure and simple. Also with the CUP SEMI FINAL (lest we forget) not kicking off till 9 there would've been an arguement that people would flick between the two - and watch the 2nd half of the Derry game. Some people (I'm looking at you Mr "Ledge") would want to chill the f*ck out and not be so hostile to those wishing for coverage of the league to improve.

By the way I hope you enjoyed the game:rolleyes:

Rory H
01/11/2006, 11:26 AM
Ended 5-0. Great performance and Farren's 2nd was a cracker!! Also a an apperance from Superman and Santa Claus.

it wasnt a fair fight..there were 4 santas!

gspain
01/11/2006, 11:34 AM
Exactly. RTE 1 and TG4 could really have done with some livening up last night, tripe pure and simple. Also with the CUP SEMI FINAL (lest we forget) not kicking off till 9 there would've been an arguement that people would flick between the two - and watch the 2nd half of the Derry game. Some people (I'm looking at you Mr "Ledge") would want to chill the f*ck out and not be so hostile to those wishing for coverage of the league to improve.

By the way I hope you enjoyed the game:rolleyes:

You are not allowed show live football othe rthan the Champions League on a champions League night.

Of course this will cause a huge issue for RTE should an EL club reach the group stages as RTE will have to show their games rather than Celtic or Man utd.

dcfcsteve
01/11/2006, 11:45 AM
it wasnt a fair fight..there were 4 santas!

T'ah ! More than enough for Superman to handle....

dcfcsteve
01/11/2006, 11:46 AM
You are not allowed show live football othe rthan the Champions League on a champions League night.

Is that a UEFA rule Gary ?

Rory H
01/11/2006, 11:46 AM
thats why the lad in the white jumpsuit ran on..he was a really crappy elf..made a fool of the steward:p

Jerry The Saint
01/11/2006, 12:45 PM
I think we're getting a little carried away with live matches on TV. It would have been perfect for RTE to show extended highlights of Derry/Rovers during their CL highlights show. Shame it was probably never even considered by the various TV stations...

Da Real Rover
01/11/2006, 2:23 PM
T'ah ! More than enough for Superman to handle....

but these arnt your regular santas, these are sligo santas, fed on a diet of shtones, nd lik your superman thought he was all flash with his dives and all but our santas wer running rings around your stewards, it was an embaressing display by the stewards to be honest.

also was that ment to be Lous Layne that ran on with superman?????

lofty9
01/11/2006, 2:39 PM
Louis Lane.... I thought it was some bloke dressed as a fat half naked woman, to be told it was really a woman!!

Paraic
01/11/2006, 3:32 PM
Louis Lane.... I thought it was some bloke dressed as a fat half naked woman, to be told it was really a woman!!

Same as that ! Will have to get my glasses checked.

Compliments to the match programme team last night - a quality production with very little notice for whomever put it together - pity the TV people couldn't have had similar contingency planning for a highlights feature -

Having said that, realistically it would have meant an awful lot of time and money for a highlights package (because of the CL coverage - which I think has the exclusivity clause that Gary is referring to earlier)

Fivesilver
01/11/2006, 4:23 PM
the CL coverage - which I think has the exclusivity clause that Gary is referring to earlier

Funny though - I imagine Uefa would be quaking in their boots that the CL would suffer in comparison. :p

Da Real Rover
01/11/2006, 9:47 PM

every superman must have a Louis Lane, i think that maybe she has just let herself go, it has been a while.

DmanDmythDledge
01/11/2006, 11:07 PM
Exactly. RTE 1 and TG4 could really have done with some livening up last night, tripe pure and simple. Also with the CUP SEMI FINAL (lest we forget) not kicking off till 9 there would've been an arguement that people would flick between the two - and watch the 2nd half of the Derry game.
RTÉ 1 never shows sport- it never will either. RTÉ 1 is aimed at a different audience than RTÉ 2. RTÉ weren't going to alter their schedule at the last minute for a minority audience anyway. CL gets around 6 times more viewers than EL- I wonder how many people would flick between the two games?

Also it was Halloween night- viewing figures would have suffered as a result.

Some people (I'm looking at you Mr "Ledge") would want to chill the f*ck out and not be so hostile to those wishing for coverage of the league to improve.
:D

You're the only one that needs to "chill the f*ck out". Talk about a knee-jerk reaction.

BohsFans
01/11/2006, 11:54 PM
Hold on a sec, they broadcast Bohs - Pat's semi final replay live a few years ago.

DmanDmythDledge
02/11/2006, 12:02 AM
Hold on a sec, they broadcast Bohs - Pat's semi final replay live a few years ago.
It didn't clash with any CL game. I doubt they would have shown it othewise.

gspain
02/11/2006, 2:02 PM
Is that a UEFA rule Gary ?

UEFA rule applies across the board

BohsFans
03/11/2006, 1:46 AM
It didn't clash with any CL game. I doubt they would have shown it othewise.

you said
RTÉ weren't going to alter their schedule at the last minute for a minority audience anyway

I'm just proving that they have done b4!

DmanDmythDledge
03/11/2006, 9:48 AM
But it was a different situation because there would have been more viewers as it was the only football on the box that night.