PDA

View Full Version : Posted tis on eL MB, might as well do it here

Dodge
10/10/2002, 9:45 AM
A member posted on Johnny Ward's old Mb, telling people to move over here. I responded with this below. I know you want to create the community effect and the club by club section is a big part of that but these are my opinions, and I thought I might as well share them with you

I like foot.ie but there are too many categories.

If I was setting up an eicom League MB (which isn't going to happen by the way)

I'd have eircom League, International, non Irish Football and Off topic (where you can have all the discussions about music, films etc you want) as four separte forums. Thats all

I wouldn't have club sections. I know the Cork lads pretty much dominate the board so maybe if foot.ie wants a Cork section, that'd be OK but keep it separate from the rest

I would have members only and all the other UBB features that foot.ie uses well. (I might have more avatars but I suppose space might be an issue)

pete
10/10/2002, 10:10 AM
I disagree.

I'll only use the eL mb or the eL general section here for general eL topics. I see no point in city fans posting rants about Gunther on the eL mb as will be of little interest to non-city people.

The reason fans from more clubs don't use foot.ie is cos they seem to have their own reliable forums or msg boards already.

Dodge
10/10/2002, 11:00 AM
Sorry yeah, meant to add that in there, but the main point of the post was if I was setting up a General forum, thats what I'd have. I'm not saying thats what foot.ie should do but the club by club section would, in my opinion, be unneccesary on a general meassage Board.

I know Cork fans use this as their main Message Board, thats why I put that bit in but mot club sections are pretty uneventful

pete
10/10/2002, 11:33 AM
Could probably drop the World Cup forum here now...

Schumi
10/10/2002, 12:00 PM
But if you didn't have the club by club sections, you could end up reading one of those Limerick rants by mistake:eek:

Dodge
10/10/2002, 2:02 PM
True but you'll miss them when they're gone...

dahamsta
10/10/2002, 2:21 PM
I appreciate the feedback Dodge, but...

I see no point in city fans posting rants about Gunther on the eL mb as will be of little interest to non-city people.

This is the problem. The signal to noise ratio is so bad on JW's forum that I just don't go there any more unless there's a specific reason. It's simply too difficult to find anything, and that's on top of the high muppet count, and poor useability.

Granted, the club forums don't get much traffic aside from City, but that doesn't bother me, they can just sit there empty for all I care, they're not harming anyone. However, if I migrate everything into just one forum, all we're going to have here is a prettier, slightly more well behaved JW forum. But still with high signal-to-noise. What's the point?

I suppose one option is to let people post into the General forum, and move posts into relevant forums afterwards, leaving a redirect, but it adds an admin overhead that I can't afford, and it would only be required if we had new users, which we don't. Any new users we do get learn pretty fast how to use the site. So you see it's a Catch 22.

To come back to the empty club forums, they're empty, obviously, because people don't use them; and they don't use them because the Irish soccer webmasters don't want to use Foot.ie for their forum. It's bizarre when you consider that they're using remote sites with poor software and an abundance of banner ads, but it's up to them, not me.

What am I supposed to do, pay them to use the free service I provide? I don't think so. It's their loss, and it's no loss to me either way.

adam

Dodge
10/10/2002, 3:12 PM
Fair enough, and like I said I do enjoy foot.ie The main problem with the eL is anonymous posters which is cut out instantly here.

And obviously the cork forum will be strong, not arguing about that

I just think that having a general MB first (and then the club boards) would maybe make it more interesting for casual poster

Also I think webmasters may not want to come here due to small things like the colour scheme and may feel like foot.ie will be too involved in their sites. Not positive but just guessing

pete
10/10/2002, 4:17 PM
Originally posted by Dodge
Also I think webmasters may not want to come here due to small things like the colour scheme and may feel like foot.ie will be too involved in their sites. Not positive but just guessing

I don't remember exactely but i think Adam basically offered full admin rights to webmasters (is that term still used :eek: ) for their sections.

As Adam says ain't really much difference between foot.ie & notwork54 except you have no anonymous posting or pop ups & banner ads.

:confused:

dahamsta
10/10/2002, 5:15 PM
I don't remember exactely but i think Adam basically offered full admin rights to webmasters (is that term still used :eek: ) for their sections.

That's right pete, although it's moderation rights -- too many admins spoil the broth!

Dodge, any webmaster that wants to switch from their current forum to Foot.ie will be made a moderator of the relevant forum, and they'll effectively take control of it. The only other people who'll be able to moderate their forums will be the admins (me & joe) and the supermods (pete, neil & james), and we'll only do that if things get totally out of control, or if the moderator isn't around.

If another webmaster comes over, they're also made a mod. Considering the size of the soccer fanbase in Ireland, I think this is a good thing, but I respect that some webmasters may have a problem with it, and for that reason I'll also create specific forums on demand, in a Community section much like the one on Boards.ie.

As to colours, well, I see it like this: I provide the service free of charge, and I don't run banner ads, so I think it's pretty fair to ask that I be allowed retain the brand -- a brand I had to buy, I might add, and IE domain names don't come cheap. That said, since we're trying to promote community here, I'm open to discussions, if they come to Foot.ie and talk to me about it, I'll consider their input and make a decision. I can't say fairer than that*.

Finally, there is a general board, el General. It's far quieter than it should be, so over the next month or so I'll take an easier line on off-topic posting. It won't last forever, but maybe it'll help people settle into the different system. Fair enough?

Again, thanks for your feedback, it's much appreciated.

adam

* Yes I can: "Fairer than that." <- See!

Dodge
10/10/2002, 5:31 PM
Of course you have a right to keep your brand, and a fine brand it is too, and it was all conjecture on my behalf to say thats why "Moderators" don't bring their MBs here.

Just trying to give some feedback for you

Basically what I was trying to say was that if http://foot.ie/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=14
was the front page rather than http://foot.ie/index.php?s=
a lot more might be temptied to post on the general page

Anyway I think I've given enough unsolicated advice for one day

Keep up the fine work

Xlex
11/10/2002, 2:29 PM
Independant Saints have relocated to an alternative which is far inferior to this fine board. It carries the same log-in requirement, etc. as here... Someone asked why they didn't use here and they said the Cork lads would be coming on to the board with their 'dub' ****... Now I disagree, that it may occur... but there is no point in it happening either... Such stupid abuse should constitute a 'strike', The Indpendant Saints Message board would have been a real coup on foot.ie... Its a busy board...

Dodge, I know your involved on that board, Is their any chance ye might consider locating here??

The real beauty of Foot.ie is that is is a one stop shop for eL topics within clubs... It stops the requirement of floating around the place... as for those pesky pop-ups, thats another thing...

Quote from the IS board:

its basically for cork city fans and as such if we were there we'd have countless "f*** the dubs" messages to sift thru, its not worth the hassle, great for them but no good for us

dahamsta
11/10/2002, 2:42 PM
I think pretty much everyone here knows that that kind of behaviour wouldn't be tolerated here on Foot.ie, that I'd be knocking heads if it did. As you know, Foot.ie was never, ever meant to be about City, it just turned out that way because the more... lucid City fans needed somewhere to go when corkcityfc.com died.

Like I've said before, Foot.ie is a community, and it's a community that wants to grow. If people are concerned about how things operate here, there's a very simple solution, join the community and come and talk to us. We're pretty easygoing on the whole.

To be honest, I find the whole "City'll go on the attack" thing kinda funny. I hope the team is more confident in the supporters that they are themselves*. :)

adam

* Reverse phsychology!?

Dodge
11/10/2002, 4:17 PM
I'm not that involved on the IS thing (despite what some may suggest) and in the longer term we may move here but we canvassed our members and most didn't want to locate to foot.ie, preferring to set up our own

Any regular user of foot.ie knows what it's like but the casual "passer by" who may be a Pats fans may see nothing but posts by Cork fans and think, this isn't for me

Oh and colour was an issue...

By the way the IS site only links to 3 sites, one of which is foot.ie

dahamsta
11/10/2002, 5:20 PM
Oh and colour was an issue...

Foot.ie forums can be skinned, and colour is something I'm willing to discuss. However there are some issues, mainly with regard to branding and aesthetics.

Obviously we'll want to keep the Foot.ie brand on the site, but there's a simple fix for that, we can just change the colour of the logo and buttons. However, some webmasters will want to put their own brands on the forums, and this gets messy if we bring another webmaster on board -- for example, Dundalk currently has two moderators and another webmaster has just applied. A possible workaround here is to include the club logo in the template in a static position (probably on the right-hand side).

The other thing is aesthetics, we want to keep the site looking good, keep it easy to use, and we want to make sure that there's some level of consistency across the site. In other words, we want to avoid bright, loud colours, and we want the transition from one set of colours to another to be nice and smooth. That means using toned-down colours, and only editing the colours around the edges.

So, assuming IS came over here, it would mean that the top section colours would change, a Pats logo would be added on the right-hand side, and the table border colours and scrollbars would change too. However, the main colours in the middle, the white background and alternating grey post panels, would stay the same. That's the way I see it anyway.

By the way the IS site only links to 3 sites, one of which is foot.ie

Good stuff Dodge, thanks.

adam

dahamsta
11/10/2002, 5:34 PM
PS. Yes, that was me fscking with the styles. Yes, I made a boo-boo. You're welcome. :)

adam

Éanna
12/10/2002, 2:47 PM
Originally posted by Xlex
Quote from the IS board:

its basically for cork city fans and as such if we were there we'd have countless "f*** the dubs" messages to sift thru, its not worth the hassle, great for them but no good for us
strikes me as a cop-out. I´m sure there´d be a bit of banter(BOTH WAYS!), but nothing on the scale suggested above.

Dodge
14/10/2002, 12:27 PM
In fairness that was one person's opinion, the majority of us are members here and of course there is nothing stopping Cork fans signing up on our board and calling us Dub C**** ( We have censored some words too) We actively support banter between sets of fans (its one of the best features of this little league)

eoinh
14/10/2002, 1:01 PM
like a stupid question but whats a high signal to noise ratio?:confused:

Xlex
14/10/2002, 1:03 PM
good opinion versus alot of crap....

dahamsta
14/10/2002, 1:44 PM
http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/html/entry/signal-to-noise-ratio.html

Yeah yeah, I'm a geek, yadda yadda.

adam

Ref
10/12/2002, 2:04 PM
adam,

just wondering how costs of running foot.ie and domain name etc are met?

do you pay anything out of your own pocket?

also why isn't there a sponsor for the website?

i'm sure somebody out there would be interested at throwing money at ya.

if only to meet costs?

dahamsta
10/12/2002, 2:16 PM
just wondering how costs of running foot.ie and domain name etc are met? do you pay anything out of your own pocket?

I run my own webservers, so the hosting is relatively cheap for the site; although I may need to move it to it's own machine soon. I pay for the domain name myself, and of course the moderators donate their time.

also why isn't there a sponsor for the website?

Because I want to run it for as long as possible without one. Community first, dosh second.

i'm sure somebody out there would be interested at throwing money at ya. if only to meet costs?

I'm willing to take a hit on it for a while more. We'll see how it goes in the new year.

Thanks,
adam

Ref
10/12/2002, 2:32 PM
I pay for the domain name myself

ah as FIFA would say...For the Good of the Game

Community first, dosh second.

i don't think one ad that doesn't jump out at ya or annoy ya would be that bad?

btw, how much time do you put into this?

fosterdollar
10/12/2002, 3:50 PM
Originally posted by eoinh
like a stupid question but whats a high signal to noise ratio?:confused:

ah, my arch-nemesis Communication Theory rears its ugly head again...

dahamsta
10/12/2002, 6:51 PM
ah as FIFA would say...For the Good of the Game

heh

i don't think one ad that doesn't jump out at ya or annoy ya would be that bad?

Oh, neither do I, but I'm not in any particular hurry to do it. I think at this stage it's just a matter of time before someone asks us about it, and we'll look at it then.

btw, how much time do you put into this?

Not a whole lot really. I tend to leave the soccer forums to the lads, and keep an eye on the the rest. I used to tool around with the code a bit, but I'm leaving that now because a completely new version is coming sometime in the new year.

I have a lot on my plate at the moment with several projects - CorkWAN in particular is going to start dragging chunks of time out of me - but I'm hoping to start adding new features in the new year, with an eye towards having them working smoothly for the new season.

adam

fosterdollar
10/12/2002, 7:02 PM
so who's this Cork wan you'll be spending so much time with then???:D

A face
19/12/2002, 8:16 PM
Originally posted by Magoo
Cork wan

Cork Wan ... she'dobe hanging around on Pana all de time like, i dobe scene her all over de place like, she is soooouuuund biy :D

Just for the record ....

I'd love to see IS on foot.ie i think it would really get things going.

I'd hate to have to sift through a load of cr@p all the time aswell. It would never get that bad though.

As for other fans having to put up with Cork fans banter all the time, i dont think so and even so that crap always dies down after a while if it does start, and then it is back to business and would be worth the effort.

I wouldn't mind if it was yellow with purple spots (could that be done ;) )

The layout is fine, you can get your info fast and little messin' 'bout and if you have time you can get a good read.

Adam ...... you the man, keep up the good work.

dahamsta
19/12/2002, 9:47 PM
so who's this Cork wan you'll be spending so much time with then?

http://www.corkwan.org/

I tell ye lads, the name wasn't my idea but I had to fight to keep it. :)

I'd love to see IS on foot.ie i think it would really get things going.

Who? Independent Saints maybe?

I wouldn't mind if it was yellow with purple spots (could that be done?

Yes, it could. No, I won't. :)

Adam ...... you the man, keep up the good work.

Cheers hoss. Although to be fair, I do bugger all. :)

adam

eoinh
20/12/2002, 3:06 PM
Originally posted by Vetinari

[b]I wouldn't mind if it was yellow with purple spots (could that be done?

Yes, it could. No, I won't. :)

[

GOOD CALL! :p

Dodge
23/12/2002, 3:27 PM
IS (as in Independent Saints) has its own board now and we're pretty happy with it. For anything other than Pats chat, we recommend foot.ie

Our own board gives us a whole range of things we just can't do with foot.ie and nor should we be allowed. Things are fine the way they are...

Neil
31/12/2002, 2:08 PM
Originally posted by Dodge
Our own board gives us a whole range of things we just can't do with foot.ie and nor should we be allowed.
Like what? (as a matter of interest)

dahamsta
31/12/2002, 4:55 PM
Swear, I imagine. :)

adam

Dodge
17/01/2003, 5:19 PM
No we ban swearing....

The main thing is private boards where only selected individuals can see it. We have our own board segregated (General, Supporters Club News, Website and OffTopic - as well as those private boards...)

Plus we have our choice off colours, our choice of avatars etc

Like I said nothing wrong with keeping foot.ie the way it is but in IS our own board is needed

dahamsta
17/01/2003, 5:32 PM
We can do private boards on Foot.ie. We can do colours too, as long as they incorporate the Foot.ie logo somewhere. And avatars, if someone is willing to supply them.

We're very accomodating on Foot.ie. But it's up to the people who want things to lay the groundwork. Community, dontcha know.

adam

Dodge
18/01/2003, 1:52 PM
Originally posted by Vetinari
We can do private boards on Foot.ie. We can do colours too, as long as they incorporate the Foot.ie logo somewhere. And avatars, if someone is willing to supply them.

We're very accomodating on Foot.ie. But it's up to the people who want things to lay the groundwork. Community, dontcha know.

adam

All fair enough but none ofthis was advertised where as it was with our current provider. Like I said it's grand the way it is. the IS board for pats, foot.ie for everything else