PDA

View Full Version : FAI Cup Final

Pages : [1] 2

Dodge
31/10/2006, 8:46 AM
First of all a couple of facts

1) Its definitely in Lansdowne Road
2) Its definetely on the weekend of December 1-3

I had thought it was Sunday December 3rd but according to some from Pats on friday, it'll be Friday December 1st.

Can anybody here confirm this? I've e-mailed the FAI but I'm more likely to get a response here.

lofty9
31/10/2006, 9:04 AM
If it is on a Friday, Landsdowne will be empty as there will only a few thousand down from Derry or Sligo.

Peadar
31/10/2006, 9:09 AM
Why are they putting it in Lansdowne?
If last Friday is anything to go by, Pat's crowd would fit in the Connaught road side of Dalymount. Why would the FAI want to play it in Lansdowne with only one stand open?

dcfcsteve
31/10/2006, 9:12 AM
First of all a couple of facts

1) Its definitely in Lansdowne Road
2) Its definetely on the weekend of December 1-3

I had thought it was Sunday December 3rd but according to some from Pats on friday, it'll be Friday December 1st.

Can anybody here confirm this? I've e-mailed the FAI but I'm more likely to get a response here.

Can you support these facts Dodge ? I'm not saying you're wrong, but the Lansdowne bit goes against what everyone else has been told up to now, so you need a source of some sort to give it credibility.

A Final on the Friday would be a complete disaster for the crowd.

How many Pat's fans would you expect to be there (regardless of what day it's played on or where ) ?

wws
31/10/2006, 9:17 AM
2,000 to 5,000

2,000 being in or around the cup semi crowd (I can get exact figure later)

and 5,000 odd being the sales in 2003 Final

Our average home gate is 1400 (thats the official figure not a guesstimate)

Dodge
31/10/2006, 9:26 AM
Can you support these facts Dodge ? I'm not saying you're wrong, but the Lansdowne bit goes against what everyone else has been told up to now, so you need a source of some sort to give it credibility.
Piece in one of the papers last week. FAI source confirmed it. (piece was titled FAI Cup final threatened by Wanderers Rugby club) Lansdowne is not available the weekend of 24-26 due to Ireland playing Pacific Islands in rugby. If it was gong to be in Tolka, surely it'de be that weekend (league finishes November 17th)

The Stars
31/10/2006, 9:26 AM
I we get to the Final...we would bring about 10,000....seriously.

Dodge
31/10/2006, 9:27 AM
This page on the FAI site (http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=40&Itemid=54) has it down for the Sunday

Balls...

Drogman.
31/10/2006, 9:43 AM
I remember that same story for last years final, the rugger buggers were on the week before and the pitch was in bits.

Then the FAI decide to play the Ladies FAI Cup final before the main game to even more cut up the pitch.

I'm not being smart when I say this but, if what is being stated is true, then the attendance will be well down from last years final. I know certain things have to be taken into consideration, but surely Pats have more than 5,000 supporters, adding in fair weather fans, and the odd part-timer barstooler?

wws
31/10/2006, 9:47 AM
nah

id be delighted with a pats support of 5,000
we'd never see that at a league game

wether floating dublin based people turn up for the "event" will be down to Carslberg/FAI promotion of it as an occassion - and I hear that the sponsors basically arent arséd!

Dodge
31/10/2006, 9:56 AM
FAI sweat it out as Wanderers row rumbles on

The escalation of the row between the IRFU and Wanderers over the redevelopment of Lansdowne Road is casting a large shadow over the FAI Cup final on December 3. Wanderers, joint tenants at the ground along with Lansdowne, are insisting on playing their AIL Division Three match against Bruff on the main pitch the day before the final, when normally they would have been happy to use the back pitch, as part of their policy of non-cooperation with Irish rugby’s governing body.

With four internationals also due to be held at the ground in November, the club’s stand casts serious doubts about the state of the pitch. Speculation has been growing that this might force the FAI into choosing a different venue, but yesterday a spokesman for the association confirmed that the Cup final would go ahead as scheduled at the ground. ‘The four clubs involved in the semi-finals were consulted about the situation and were happy to go ahead with Lansdowne,’ a spokesman said. ‘There is no question of moving the venue.’

If I ever get a reply from the FAI I'll post it here. Typical amateur bull****. A month away and nobody knows anything...

As for our crowd, 5,000 will be the real figure. As with everybody else here we'll double it for the internet.

OneRedArmy
31/10/2006, 10:21 AM
Good to see Wanderers "chaps" continuing their uneviable position as most hated rugby club in Ireland, which they have held with considerable distinction over the last decade.

(for any non-rugger fans, they are the Shels of rugby, dragging the League to the courts and even delaying the conclusion of a season and are almost universally hated in the clubhouses of Ireland).

They are involved in an ongoing row with the IRFU over 1,000 extra tickets for the new Lansdowne Stadium.

Also totally agree with the above, a Friday final is a joke.

Play it in Dalymount on the Sunday (would prefer not to line Ollie's pocket).

I'd be surprised if Derry brought more than 5,000 down in any case.

dcfcsteve
31/10/2006, 10:36 AM
Piece in one of the papers last week. FAI source confirmed it. (piece was titled FAI Cup final threatened by Wanderers Rugby club) Lansdowne is not available the weekend of 24-26 due to Ireland playing Pacific Islands in rugby. If it was gong to be in Tolka, surely it'de be that weekend (league finishes November 17th)

It's always been set for the first weekend in December - was the same time last year. So the date says nothing about whetehr it was going to be in Tolka or not.

I'd say there'll only be a crowd of 12-15,000 at this year's final regardless of whether it's Derry or Sligo there, so Lansdowne would be too big.

Very disappointijng if Pats could only bring 5,000 to a Cup Final in their own town. Makes you wonder why you'd ever want a new/developed stadium if that's all you could attract for the big games.

wws
31/10/2006, 10:45 AM
our 'own town' is Inchicore Steve,

do you honestly think people in foxrock, ballybough and dickie rock give a flying fck about an LoI team from Inchicore?

the dynamics of the situation are completely different to a club like say Derry or Sligo representing a defined city/town area

we do not represent Dublin City (nor do any of the dublin teams in the LoI for that matter) - it simply isnt the same situation - in fact our very association with Inchicore and surrounds would probably put off most celtic tiger era dublin ppl in the first place

but fck it we know where we're at - and tbh we wouldnt have it any other way

"Ohhhh Inchicore, Inchi Inchy Inchi core

dcfcsteve
31/10/2006, 11:45 AM
our 'own town' is Inchicore Steve,

do you honestly think people in foxrock, ballybough and dickie rock give a flying fck about an LoI team from Inchicore?

the dynamics of the situation are completely different to a club like say Derry or Sligo representing a defined city/town area

we do not represent Dublin City (nor do any of the dublin teams in the LoI for that matter) - it simply isnt the same situation - in fact our very association with Inchicore and surrounds would probably put off most celtic tiger era dublin ppl in the first place

but fck it we know where we're at - and tbh we wouldnt have it any other way

"Ohhhh Inchicore, Inchi Inchy Inchi core

Sorry WWS - you've got the wrong end of the stick there.

I was referring to how physically easy it is for your fans to get to a final in Dublin - not the identity of certain area or the likelihood of you drawing support from elsewhere in the capital.

I agree with what you've said though.

gspain
31/10/2006, 11:54 AM
You will also get the neutral Dublin based football public.

You also have the last ever football match at Lansdowne before redevelopment which must be an attraction.

The Wanderers row is getting really ugly. They want to use the main pitch for an AIL game on the saturday in an attempt to escalate the row.

I agree that Friday night would be a disaster crowd wise.

Given the costs of using Lansdowne wrt Tolka I wonder if the clubs will be protesting. A fullhouse at Tolka would be a nice earner whereas 15,000 at Lansdowne would probably just about cover all the expenses.

wws
31/10/2006, 12:03 PM
You will also get the neutral Dublin based football public.

Yeah but what dollar value would you put on that dublin football public factor?

here's the level of the 'pull' of this fixture (official figures)

12/05/06 League vs Derry City 1,510 people paid through the gate to watch Derry's last visit to Dublin to play St Pats

30/06/06 League vs Sligo Rovers 956 people paid through the gate to watch Sligo's last visit to Dublin to play St Pats

on such a low base it would need solid promotion and marketing to capitalise on any "final" factor and dramatically improve the crowd

no disrespect to sligo but derry have a great media profile this season with lots of tv exposure and the uefa run gives them an added credibility with neutrals - if marketed right - a pats derry final might pull in an extra crowd of "dublin football public"

gspain
31/10/2006, 1:01 PM
Yeah but what dollar value would you put on that dublin football public factor?

here's the level of the 'pull' of this fixture (official figures)

12/05/06 League vs Derry City 1,510 people paid through the gate to watch Derry's last visit to Dublin to play St Pats

30/06/06 League vs Sligo Rovers 956 people paid through the gate to watch Sligo's last visit to Dublin to play St Pats

on such a low base it would need solid promotion and marketing to capitalise on any "final" factor and dramatically improve the crowd

no disrespect to sligo but derry have a great media profile this season with lots of tv exposure and the uefa run gives them an added credibility with neutrals - if marketed right - a pats derry final might pull in an extra crowd of "dublin football public"

Sligo people always turnout for the Cup. I agree with the fan above that they'll bring 10,000 if they make it. I expect Derry to win tonight though.

I reckon on at least 1,000 neutrals paying to go. It will be easier too to get tickets for neutrals in Dublin as that was a problem for last year's cup final and Setanta Cup final as the tickets went to the clubs. Note there may have been Cup Final tickets on ticketmaster last year but if so only crap ones. Many neutrals like me will probably end up just buying Pats tickets though so it will be difficult to measure.

NY Hoop
31/10/2006, 1:07 PM
History repeating itself again:rolleyes:

Last year there was the embarrassing spectacle of the game being switched from Lansdowne to Tolka to the RDS before finally settling on Lansdowne!

They did no marketing for the game yet 25000 turned up. They lucked out there.

Lansdowne is where the Cup Final should be IMO. It's a day out, players for the most part would have never played there and it is a neutral venue. Playing a Cup Final at a league ground is a joke. All you have to is close off the upper tiers and it looks grand on the big day.

KOH

mr.untitled
31/10/2006, 1:47 PM
I dont know man, we knew we'd get a big crowd last year (for a number of reasons) If Pats, Derry or sligo reckon they can only bring 5000 max each, it should be in Dailymount, Recently we've played big games in Tolka, Lansdowne and Dailymount, Dailymount had by far the best atmosphere (even with feck all away fans!) IMO theres nothing worse than a quarter full lansdowne!

lofty9
31/10/2006, 1:55 PM
If Derry get there I wouldn't mind Dalymount. Anything but Tolka please. But I reckon we would take a lot more than 5,000 tbh if its on a Sunday.

Dodge
31/10/2006, 2:00 PM
If Derry get there I wouldn't mind Dalymount. Anything but Tolka please. But I reckon we would take a lot more than 5,000 tbh if its on a Sunday.

Yourselves and Rovers didn't near fill Tolka for the last FAI Cup final you were in

OneRedArmy
31/10/2006, 2:00 PM
But I reckon we would take a lot more than 5,000 tbh if its on a Sunday.Why? Our bandwagoners have had more than enough chances this season to stretch their legs and get out and about in more glamourous destinations that Dublin.

The only realistic way I can see more than 5,000 travelling is if we win the League and are going for another treble.

We'll see after tonight but I reckon we would bring similar to what we brought in 2002, ie about 5,000.

pete
31/10/2006, 2:26 PM
With projected attendance at 15,000 this can only be held at Tolka. Might not be such a bad thing as Lansdowne pitch will be muck again.

lofty9
31/10/2006, 2:51 PM
Yourselves and Rovers didn't near fill Tolka for the last FAI Cup final you were in

We sold every ticket we got, approx 4,500 and that was when we were were ****e.

And ORA, the bandwagoners are all out in force now. I know quite a lot who were at Sligo on Sunday who haven't been at a game all year, family included. So I can see a return of the early days for a cup final.

Dodge
31/10/2006, 2:56 PM
With projected attendance at 15,000 this can only be held at Tolka. Might not be such a bad thing as Lansdowne pitch will be muck again.

Tolka officially holds less than 10,000. So at least 5,000 dissappointed

soccerc
31/10/2006, 2:57 PM
Many neutrals like me will probably end up just buying Pats tickets though so it will be difficult to measure.

Come on Gary admit it, you are really a closet Saint:)

wws
31/10/2006, 3:07 PM
Tolka officially holds less than 10,000. So at least 5,000 dissappointed

I think its about 6,500 at this stage that it can hold safely with the new arrangements

Dodge
31/10/2006, 3:22 PM
Yeah thought I heard that alright but didn't want my credibility further undermined by being wrong...

Jerry The Saint
31/10/2006, 4:32 PM
With projected attendance at 15,000 this can only be held at Tolka.

http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=565022&postcount=1299

6,000 to Derry/Rovers and 600 to Pats:confused:

At least we know that the RDS is out of commission this year so that should cut down a little on the pointless speculation...

Dodge
31/10/2006, 4:43 PM
Latest I hear is that a decision is to be made tomorrow. Derry want the game on Friday as there is that AIL rugby game on the Saturday (actually two games) and the pitch will be in bits. Sligo want the Sunday. Pats are easy. Come on Derry!

Student Mullet
31/10/2006, 4:49 PM
Sligo are trying to recreate fortress farmer's field in Lansdown?

pete
31/10/2006, 5:13 PM
Yeah thought I heard that alright but didn't want my credibility further undermined by being wrong...

Come on Dodge, you been on long enough here not to have credibility left. :D

BTW a potential let alone a guaranteed 15,000 is not enough to hold game in Lansdowne. I think we had this debate last year. Lansdowne probably needs 20,000 to justify opening.

If we were to be a Cup Final again I would not want pitch like Lansdowne last season. Drogs probably won't care as they won but could have been much better spectacle for the 25,000 people if pitch had grass. (btw i am not suggesting Drogs didn't deserve victory).

Kingdom
01/11/2006, 7:31 AM
Forgive me if I thread on any toes here but the solution shouldn't be that hard to find. There are 3 potential options.
1. Lansdowne 2. Dalymount 3. Tolka

I would take it that all three are neutral venues? The only question that I can see is whether people want a higher capacity or a quality pitch. Lansdowne obviously has the highest capacity, but from what I can gather on this site Tolka can take about 6600 or 7000, whereas as Dalymount could take 8/9000? The concencus so far is that there will be between 10-15k at the final, so that would definitely rule out Tolka and perhaps Dalymount.

If the pitch at Lansdowne is going to be knackered, and what with the Winter tests and the AIL match the day before the final the pitch could be fcuked, and for two teams that play decent football it would make it an awful spectacle. Dalymount always seems to have a nice surface, and I reckon there won't be too many matches there between now and the final.

The way I look at it it would come down to accomodating all fans in a 2/3 empty ground with a crap pitch, or disappointing a few in a full ground with a decent pitch.

CharlesThompson
01/11/2006, 7:57 AM
What about Windsor Park?

dcfcsteve
01/11/2006, 8:51 AM
What about Windsor Park?

I doubt the FAI would want their senior cup final played outside the jurisdiction.

That's the kind of thing that the FA do.... :D

wws
01/11/2006, 9:24 AM
lads dalymount would hold basically the same as tolka
most of it is unuseable from a health and safety point of view at this stage of the game

ure basically talking the jodi stand
than poor facilities at the shed
and even worse facilities on the 1/3 of the connaught st side that remains
the shopping centre end is closed to the public

i doubt if officially they'd be able to get a safety cert for more than 6,000

Peadar
01/11/2006, 9:26 AM
i doubt if officially they'd be able to get a safety cert for more than 6,000

Didn't drogs get 26,000 in there for their UEFA Cup games in the summer?

wws
01/11/2006, 9:28 AM
bout 3 to 4 thousand attended the drogs games there for UEFA

its a shame as pats played in front of 50,000 there in the 50's
how it got into such a state of disrepair i dunno

dcfcsteve
01/11/2006, 10:04 AM
how it got into such a state of disrepair i dunno

Same could be said of Oriel Park, Brandywell, The Oval, Solitude etc.

It's simple - a lack of maintenance and upgrading.

Dodge
01/11/2006, 10:11 AM
Ever hear of a rhetorical question steve?

anyway, I'd like to think there'd be a meeting today/tomorrow to allow people get organised. Still no answer to e-mail I sent FAI

dcfcsteve
01/11/2006, 10:15 AM
Ever hear of a rhetorical question steve?

anyway, I'd like to think there'd be a meeting today/tomorrow to allow people get organised. Still no answer to e-mail I sent FAI

D'oh ! I think that's the second time I've taken WWS/yourself too seriously on a question recently.:o

Must dust down my sarcasm radar..... :D

The Stars
01/11/2006, 10:19 AM
If its on in Lansdown,a few of us Sligo lads are going up for the laugh....In Santa Suits i must add.
But we will be up for Derry,well Ciaran Martyn anyway.

OneRedArmy
01/11/2006, 10:23 AM
If its on in Lansdown,a few of us Sligo lads are going up for the laugh....In Santa Suits i must add.
But we will be up for Derry,well Ciaran Martyn anyway.Please don't bring Tom the Gom with you this time!!!! He was in fine form in the Brandywell last nite and didn't concede defeat until the 4th went in. Then announced Pats "will hammer ye".

The Stars
01/11/2006, 10:39 AM
Whos Tom The Gom,is that the old lad that goes around looking p!ssed all the time?
We will bring Dolly the Sheep.....wait and see.

Danny
02/11/2006, 8:59 AM
www.stpatsfc.com

02/11/2006
CUP FINAL INFORMATION
Arrangements for the FAI Carlsberg Cup Final are currently being agreed by the FAI and the two clubs. We will bring you the relevant information as it becomes available.

The Cup final will take place on Sunday 3rd December in Lansdowne Road. Kickoff time is provisionally set at 3pm but is subject to television coverage.

Derry City won the toss to decide which team will be classified as the "home" team and will therefore wear their traditional candy-stripes.

St Patrick's Athletic supporters have been allocated the North Terrace (standing) and both West and East stands from the North Terrace to the half-way line. Derry City supporters have been allocated the South Terrace (seating) and both stands from the South Terrace to the half-way line.

Stand tickets will be €25 for adults and €10 for children. Terrace tickets will be €15 for adults and €5 for children. Tickets will be available from both clubs, the FAI and through Ticketmaster and are expected to go on sale from the middle of next week.

De Town
02/11/2006, 9:38 AM
www.stpatsfc.com

02/11/2006
CUP FINAL INFORMATION
Arrangements for the FAI Carlsberg Cup Final are currently being agreed by the FAI and the two clubs. We will bring you the relevant information as it becomes available.

The Cup final will take place on Sunday 3rd December in Lansdowne Road. Kickoff time is provisionally set at 3pm but is subject to television coverage.

Derry City won the toss to decide which team will be classified as the "home" team and will therefore wear their traditional candy-stripes.

St Patrick's Athletic supporters have been allocated the North Terrace (standing) and both West and East stands from the North Terrace to the half-way line. Derry City supporters have been allocated the South Terrace (seating) and both stands from the South Terrace to the half-way line.

Stand tickets will be €25 for adults and €10 for children. Terrace tickets will be €15 for adults and €5 for children. Tickets will be available from both clubs, the FAI and through Ticketmaster and are expected to go on sale from the middle of next week.

Thanks for that. Where'll the main singing Pat's fans be sitting/standing??

Kildare Lad
02/11/2006, 3:26 PM
Yeah, where will the majority of chantng Pats fans be?

And if i want to get tickets in the pats end, will i have to buy them off the club or what?

wws
02/11/2006, 3:39 PM
go to ticketmaster/the fai/ Pats 125 emmet road

and ask for tickets to anywhere here:

St Patrick's Athletic supporters have been allocated the North Terrace (standing) and both West and East stands from the North Terrace to the half-way line.

De Town
02/11/2006, 3:50 PM
go to ticketmaster/the fai/ Pats 125 emmet road

and ask for tickets to anywhere here:

St Patrick's Athletic supporters have been allocated the North Terrace (standing) and both West and East stands from the North Terrace to the half-way line.

Yeah but where will the SEI's and all them be?? Coz I don't want to be stuck with the Pat's prawn sandwich eaters! :D:D