PDA

View Full Version : Daylight Saving Time

Pauro 76
30/10/2006, 2:47 PM
It's nearly 4 and its dark already. Damn you Daylight Saving Time! im off to hibernate for six months. anyone out there think it should be scrapped? just think, less accidents and less harder to get out of bed in the mornings.

The Stars
30/10/2006, 3:52 PM
agree with you on this Pauro....its a joke really....especially when your in college and it is pitch dark outside,nothing worse.

Pauro 76
30/10/2006, 4:04 PM
agree with you on this Pauro....its a joke really....especially when your in college and it is pitch dark outside,nothing worse.

hate the feeling myself. you get used to still leaving work in daylight but it gets dark now and your day feels over.

Anto McC
30/10/2006, 4:05 PM
I love it :D

Pauro 76
30/10/2006, 4:07 PM
I love it :D

Why????? whats so good about it then! ;) Could be worse, could be living in northern Sweden or Finland. 6 months of dark then light! class...

holidaysong
30/10/2006, 4:09 PM
It's one of my pet hates. I think it is ridiculous.

pineapple stu
30/10/2006, 6:44 PM
less harder to get out of bed in the mornings.
It's actually easier (assuming that's what less harder means ;)) to get out of bed in the mornings now because it's brighter an hour earlier. That's the whole point of Daylight Saving Time. I also love the dark evenings - far more atmospheric.

lim abroad
30/10/2006, 10:34 PM
have to say i like it myself,although i prefer waking up on a saturday morning in a cosy bed and hearing rain pound off the window

crc
30/10/2006, 11:18 PM
As it happens, we left the Daylight Savings Time over the weekend, and are now back in normal time (GMT). DST only applies during the summer, and the reason it was put in place was to save all the extra sunlight that starts to appear in the spring - something to do with farmers.
Without DST, in the summer dawn would be extremely early (4/5 am) and all the sunlight in the early morning would be 'lost' because most people are still asleep!

dahamsta
30/10/2006, 11:42 PM
something to do with farmersTrue. But as the gf pointed out to me earlier - it was dark, but I think it was her - farming is hardly Ireland's primary economy driver these days.

adam

strangeirish
30/10/2006, 11:47 PM
DST was first mentioned in 1784 by Benjamin Franklin in a letter to the editors of the Journal of Paris. However, as the satirical article was humorous, it is extremely clear Franklin couldn't seriously propose that the French adopt it. The mere suggestion that a tax be levied on those who have their shades drawn during daylight hours, or simply that people should get up and go to bed earlier is ludicrous. Continue reading about the origin of DST (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time#Origin).

It's a good trivia question. Ask people at work where and how it originated. Most people won't have a clue.

drinkfeckarse
31/10/2006, 10:28 AM
I like the dark evenings but I am always ready for the light ones by the time it comes around again and vice-versa.

pineapple stu
31/10/2006, 12:35 PM
just think, less accidents
Another point on this - how does DST contribute to accidents? I've also seen it linked to an increase in crime without any attempt at back-up. Anyone any ideas?

superfrank
31/10/2006, 12:58 PM
I love it getting darker earlier. I think it's alot more fun in the dark...

DmanDmythDledge
31/10/2006, 1:01 PM
There's more buzz when you are out when it's dark.

Peadar
31/10/2006, 4:26 PM
I don't mind it so much but it's usually dark when I go to work and dark when I'm going home so the only daylight I see is for ten minutes while I walk to Spar for my lunch.
I agree that the dark is more atmospheric though.

Maz
31/10/2006, 5:05 PM
Love the darker evenings...better atmosphere, Halloween (Fireworks), Christmas...but Im usually dying for the bright evenings by the time they actually get here!

Magicme
31/10/2006, 6:40 PM
Aw alot of things are better in the dark, country walks while telling ghost stories, bonfires, "Ghost in the graveyard" game, star gazing, snuggling up under a blanket with a bottle of wine in a field with the one u love.

I love Autumn/Winter but only if its not raining! The dark brings out the light in me!

strangeirish
31/10/2006, 7:05 PM
Aw alot of things are better in the dark

You got that right!:D

Magicme
31/10/2006, 7:11 PM
You got that right!:D

esp old people like us...cant see the wrinkles then!

strangeirish
31/10/2006, 7:22 PM
esp old people like us...cant see the wrinkles then!

Yup!:cool:

paul_oshea
01/11/2006, 9:26 AM
i like it, cos it makes me think of christmas, and that is always a good thing!!!

stann
01/11/2006, 12:20 PM
Aw alot of things are better in the dark, country walks while telling ghost stories, bonfires, "Ghost in the graveyard" game, star gazing, snuggling up under a blanket with a bottle of wine in a field with the one u love.

Was agreeing with you up 'til that one, magicme. No need to be cold and wet as well as dark. Am far too old (and wrinkled) for that kind of discomfort! :D

Magicme
01/11/2006, 3:16 PM
Ha....not at all Stann...hardly a wrinkle kind!

Yeah love the drawing in of the evenigs and knowing Christmas is getting closer and will see my whole family together again. Love it.

Thunderblaster
03/11/2006, 9:26 PM
Hey, I'm looking forward to the last Sunday in March when the clocks go forward again..........and they then should be left alone!!!! Now for ya!!:p :D