PDA

View Full Version : McCarthy Out

Wizzard
09/10/2002, 9:20 AM
It's only speculation but I like it. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/sunderland/2312223.stm)

Éanna
09/10/2002, 9:27 AM
two things:
1. It´s probably the best solution all round, because McCarthy is going to the Saipan incident weighing on his mind as long as he´s Ireland boss.

2. When will Cathal Dervan ever shut up and stop sticking his nose in all the time. He just has to get his name in the papers every possible opportunity doesn´t he :rolleyes:

brine2
09/10/2002, 9:50 AM
If they hire him, I'll call up a Sunderland florist and have them send a big bouquet and a thank you note round to the Sunderland chairman.

MikeW
09/10/2002, 10:11 AM
Its all well and good wanting McCarthy out, but realistically who's going to take over from him? I mean presumably we'd want an Irishman so how many candidates does that leave? I don't see Martin O'Neill leaving Celtic and anyone who suggests David O'Leary should be shot where they stand. Has anyone even thought about this amidst all the McCarthy out bluster?

brine2
09/10/2002, 3:08 PM
Let's see. Somebody who's Irish and will do a better job than McCarthy. What about Bosco?

Seriously though, I think Brian Kerr shuold be given the reigns. He's shown that he's 100% comitted to Ireland, and his wages won't cost a lot. He's won trophies with Ireland teams and he knows more about the current batch of Ireland players than anyone else. Robbie Keane, Duff, O'Shea and others have played under him and respect him.

This could be great. Ian Evans will follow Mick to Sunlun and hopefully maybe even Don Givens will go to.

pete
09/10/2002, 3:45 PM
Originally posted by Éanna
2. When will Cathal Dervan ever shut up and stop sticking his nose in all the time. He just has to get his name in the papers every possible opportunity doesn't he

Well he does have a book to sell shortly doesn't he?

SÓC
09/10/2002, 3:46 PM
Why not have Stephen Kenny as the Ireland Manager, the FAI would save a packet, also I ran a simualation (Championship Manager) he won Euro 2004 with Gary O'Neill of Bohs ending up as the top scorer in the Championship. It bound to happen in real life it it happened in Championship Manager.

As a serious replacement why does it have to be Irish. You could hardly call Charlton Irish, and I have my doubts about Mick too :)

Shed End John
10/10/2002, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by brine2

Seriously though, I think Brian Kerr shuold be given the reigns.

Only one problem with that very commendable suggestion. Brian Kerr has stated on numerous occasions that he has no interest in the top job. Says he prefers to keep the underage conveyor belt of talent going.

Murphy Out Now!!!

bitored
10/10/2002, 1:08 PM
Arrange these words in order
Hatched
Chickens
Counting
Before

James
10/10/2002, 1:18 PM
Before Hatched Chicken Counting ????

whats that supposed to mean

Shed End John
10/10/2002, 2:32 PM
Originally posted by James
Before Hatched Chicken Counting ????

whats that supposed to mean

Well said, couldn't have put it better myself. :D

Murphy Out Now!!!

Éanna
10/10/2002, 2:42 PM
Originally posted by brine2
Somebody who's Irish and will do a better job than McCarthy.
I assume none of you anti-McCarthyites ever had a bad word to say about the British tabloids going berserk when Eriksson got the england job then. And i presume none of you liked Jack Charlton.

Lets clone De valera and make him taoiseach and irish manager as well. then we can all live in a PROPER Irish country :rolleyes: :mad:

Shed End John
10/10/2002, 2:52 PM

Lets clone De valera and make him taoiseach and irish manager as well. then we can all live in a PROPER Irish country :rolleyes: :mad:

Just WHAT are you on might I ask? Fact is I liked Charlton and, unlike a great many hypocrites out there, I still do. Charlton brought us relative success ON the field and was more than capable of handling matters OFF it. At least under him there was never a bust-up/scandal of THIS magnitude.

Murphy Out Now!!!

Éanna
10/10/2002, 3:34 PM
Originally posted by Shed End John
Just WHAT are you on might I ask?
I´m making the (fairly obvious) point that a lot of people are suddenly having problems with McCarthy´s birthplace (i.e. calling him an english x, y or z) when Charlton being English never bothered them- I´m not a big fan of hypocrisy

James
10/10/2002, 3:40 PM
ok i am'nt getting into a nationality arguement
But mccarthy played for ireland
jack didnt

both born in england

not sure bout irish passports but jack NEVER claimed to be irish
currently managing a national side is a job, with lots of countries going outside nationality to appoint the right/best man

playing for your country is the utmost reward a country can give a player.. totally diff imo .. from playing and managing .. whatever side of fence you are on about what-country-from-thing-arguement

Éanna
10/10/2002, 4:00 PM
not sure bout irish passports but jack NEVER claimed to be irish
currently managing a national side is a job, with lots of countries going outside nationality to appoint the right/best man

playing for your country is the utmost reward a country can give a player.. totally diff imo .. from playing and managing .. whatever side of fence you are on about what-country-from-thing-arguement
agreed

Shed End John
10/10/2002, 4:07 PM

I´m making the (fairly obvious) point that a lot of people are suddenly having problems with McCarthy´s birthplace (i.e. calling him an english x, y or z)

I for one have NEVER called Mick an English this, that or the other. Fact is, he could be from Timbucktu for all I care. I just feel the need for a manager that's above 'mediocre at best'.

Murphy Out Now!!!

Éanna
10/10/2002, 4:10 PM
Originally posted by Shed End John
I for one have NEVER called Mick an English this, that or the other.
hence the fact that you were never accused of it :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Shed End John
10/10/2002, 4:20 PM

hence the fact that you were never accused of it :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I never said you accused me of it. I'm merely making the point that those who racially abuse Mick are part of a small minority, which hopefully won't get any larger.

Murphy Ouy Now!!!

James
10/10/2002, 4:29 PM
lookit
i never said that you said that you accused me of saying that i said that you said that OK??????

this is boring pedantic and a waste of time
quit it please kids

Éanna
10/10/2002, 4:30 PM
i never said that you said that you accused me of saying that i said that you said that OK??????

:confused: :D