PDA

View Full Version : Email/letter campaign

Pages : [1] 2

Gary
08/10/2002, 12:22 PM
I think we all should start bombarding RTE for their no show last week at both semi finals and instead showing some game in Edinburgh between some team who wears the same shirts as shams and some other team.

sportsonline@rte.ie

If the get enough, you never know what may happen.

pete
08/10/2002, 12:54 PM
I think they stopped replaying to eL letters/emails or maybe its just ones from one...

:eek:

Shed End John
08/10/2002, 2:18 PM
Can't say I agree with the deliberate vilification of our Scottish friends. After all, part of loving soccer is loving it OUTSIDE of your own country. I freely admit I sat down to watch Celtic v Rangers, even though it was pitifully short of quality. I also must express my EXTREME anger, frustration etc,etc that the Cup semis were not televised. In a word....ludicrous.

Murphy Out Now!!!

Éanna
08/10/2002, 2:30 PM
I think rte have my email address blocked cos of the amount of emails I´ve sent them about their "coverage" of the eL!!! They think we´re scum anyway, the usual reply is along the "how dare you criticise me peasant" line. Public Service Broadcaster/National Broadcaster me @rse. They´re beneath contempt that lot

Shed End John
08/10/2002, 3:01 PM
RTE summed up to a T(!), isn't it? Refusing feedback from customers is a sure sign of a company on its last legs, or one that hasn't got a leg to stand on. National broadcaster? Self-styled bull**** I say.

Murphy Out Now!!!

TommyT
10/10/2002, 6:17 PM
I've been asking for ages does anyone have these, we could compare them to rugby/basketball on RTE/TG4 and see if we can have a real go at them.

pete
11/10/2002, 9:53 AM
I think the sunday sport show at 7.30 on RTE1 last year got close to 200k on occassions. I think the highest rating live mnatch was one of those 3 cup games (2 replays?) between Pats & Shel$ in the mid 90's at around 250k.

For what is worth i notice the Premiership on Net2 is only getting 160-170k this year.

Éanna
11/10/2002, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by pete
For what is worth i notice the Premiership on Net2 is only getting 160-170k this year.
Yeah, the viewing figures have never justified the outlay for that at all.

Gary
14/10/2002, 1:27 PM
The silence by lack of reply is deafening. I shall be sending the same email to them again and again until the fools acknowledge it, and I ask all ya'll to do likewise.

pete
14/10/2002, 1:36 PM
Maybe people be better off checking out tv3's new eL show & posting or mailing their comments (good or bad) to them.

Colm
14/10/2002, 3:14 PM
Originally posted by GWA
The silence by lack of reply is deafening. I shall be sending the same email to them again and again until the fools acknowledge it, and I ask all ya'll to do likewise. I emailed them and told them I was boycotting their sh!tty little station and explaining to them that they are neglecting their public service obligations, then I might have got a bit abusive!;)
Anyway, I got a reply from some "postmaster" at RTE saying they will not accept correspondance of that nature and that they wont forward my email to the relevant department. I sent them another more toned down email asking them to explain their position but they did not reply.
As far as im concerned this attitude is an absolute disgrace and from my experience they are one of the few media outlets that do not respond to feedback, I suppose they know that no matter how few viewers they have the government will allways bail them out.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

pete
14/10/2002, 3:23 PM
Originally posted by COLM
I emailed them and told them I was boycotting their sh!tty little station and explaining to them that they are neglecting their public service obligations, then I might have got a bit abusive!;)
Anyway, I got a reply from some "postmaster" at RTE saying they will not accept correspondance of that nature and that they wont forward my email to the relevant department.

Nobody let alone RTE will ever respond to abusive letters. You better off asking questions you know they don't want to answer while making your points at the same time.

If RTE really getting to you have a look at their web site & theres info on how to make a complaint there to the RTE Authority - i think it says something alone the lines that they have to reply within so many days etc etc...

Colm
14/10/2002, 3:36 PM
Yeah but the thing is that I didnt really get that abusive, I made a number of valid points and posed a number of questions regarding any future coverage of Irish football, I'd say what really got to them is the fact that I said I was boycotting their staion and advising everyone I know to do likewise.
I just think its outrageous that they replyed saying that they wont accept it yet we have to accept all the crap that they dish out.

eoinh
14/10/2002, 3:59 PM
sorry but youve got to read my e-mail from the bottom up. it was about their coverage of the uefa cup matchs. they dont answer me now.

it says on your web site that if you have any enquiries to e-mail your organisation. i have,yet i still have not had a reply. i am disappointed that you never bothered replying to my enquiry. i do have a tv licence. i tried listening to the match on the radio but there seemed to be some sort of religious ceremony on.
----- Original Message -----
To: rte:soccer
Sent: Thursday, August 15, 2002 3:26 PM
Subject: Fw: what time

ive tried ringing as well. i got through to the switchboard, they put me through to the sports Department but no one answered my call. will you please answer my question?
Sent: Thursday, August 15, 2002 2:04 PM
Subject: Fw: what time

i sent this earlier but i got no reply!
Sent: Thursday, August 15, 2002 10:22 AM
Subject: what time

what time are the uefa cup matchs been shown on tv tonight? there was no mention of the match last night on the magazine i had got in its tv section. lets hope the boys can do us proud tonight! my little brother is a rovers fan and has been given permission to stay up late tonight to watch the match!

EOIN

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Mr Hurley,

We in the RTE Interactive department apologise for not
getting back to you sooner than now. Your related
question is with the RTE Sport's Department, which is a
different department to the Interactive department. You
made the right decision by phoning and asking for the
Sport's Department. If you have any questions in the
future regarding sports programme I would advice you to
ring the Sport's Department.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The email i replied to was on the sports section of the website and when i rang rte and the swirchboard put me through to the sports deptarment it rang for about 10 mins with no one answering until i put the phne down.
i know i really shouldnt put up their reply but i do pay for their service and this is the treatment recieved!

Éanna
14/10/2002, 5:53 PM
Nobody let alone RTE will ever respond to abusive letters.
In my experience, RTE usually consider any form of criticism as "abuse." I remember emailing them before about something in which the worst words I used were "unaccpetable" and "disgraceful" in reference to their coverage and I was told I was being abusive. I´ll be onto them tonight :)

Éanna
14/10/2002, 6:13 PM
I went for the "very serious topped off with sarcasm aproach"

Dear Sir/Madam,
Although I am currently spending a number of months in Spain, I continue to take a keen interest in all things Irish, particularly sport. I regularly ask relatives to video programmes which may be of interest to me- such as matches. I had been keenly looking forward to receiving a tape of one (or both) of the recent FAI Cup semi-finals, either by post or on my next visit home. However, I was informed that RTE had decided not to screen either, instead choosing to spend tax-payers money on a game of much lesser importance in another country- i.e. Glasgow Rangers against Glasgow Celtic. While as a football fan, I enjoy watching all matches, particularly derby games renowned for their passion, such as the Scottish one screened by RTE, I can´t help feeling that it was an abuse of the money received by RTE in licence fees to ignore the second most important matches in the most important competition in Irish football. Bohs versus Shamrock Rovers is a derby known to many true football fans the world over as an intense rivalry (albeit on a smaller scale than other countries) which any football fan would relish the chance to watch. I seriously question the point in paying for a Television Licence upon my return when that money appears to designated for fast-tracking to another country at the expense of our own domestic product.

Does RTE intend ignoring Irish football in the future, or does it plan to fulfill it´s role as national broadcaster, even if this comes at the expense of those Scottish people who reside in Ireland?

regards,
Éanna Buckley

Interesting to see what they say to that :D

Éanna
14/10/2002, 6:16 PM
they´ve chopped that email address, I just got the email returned :rolleyes:

trying sport@rte.ie

dahamsta
14/10/2002, 7:05 PM
I got a reply from some "postmaster" at RTE saying they will not accept correspondance of that nature and that they wont forward my email to the relevant department.

Postmaster is an account or alias that's required by standards, and it's usually routed to the system administrator. I've never met an RTE sysop, but I have dealt with some of their webops and they're a right bunch of pseudo-intellectual tossers.

That said, if your email was blatantly abusive, I'd've knocked you off the net meself. I've seen some of the sh1te that pours into "feedback" accounts, it can be horrendous.

adam

Colm
14/10/2002, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Vetinari
[B]

That said, if your email was blatantly abusive, I'd've knocked you off the net meself.
It wasnt blatantly abusive, maybe abusive was the wrong word for me to use in my earlier post because people seem to be hung up on that now. I didnt use any expletives and didnt really insult anyone, in fact the only things that could have ticked them off is when I called them hypocritical for pretending to care about Irish football as regards the Sky deal etc., and when I said I'd be encouraging people to boycott their coverage of foreign football.
If they refuse to accept this kind of feedback they are a disgrace. I really believe they should be privatised and then we'd see how they would survive as a commercial entity.

At this stage, I think im going to take Petes route and offer my feedback to TV3 as after all they have the rights and we seem to be wasting our time with that bunch of Dublin 4 dinosaurs!

dahamsta
15/10/2002, 7:42 AM
It wasnt blatantly abusive

Fair enough, it was probably just the RTE sysops being muppets then. However, you can't blame all of RTE for the behaviour of their sysops, and you can't blame the sports people for not responding when they didn't have anything to respond to. Snail mail is still the best way of lodging a complaint against a legacy organisation like RTE, just like it is with politicians. If that doesn't work, you should write to the newspapers.

adam

pete
15/10/2002, 9:38 AM
At this stage, I think im going to take Petes route and offer my feedback to TV3 as after all they have the rights and we seem to be wasting our time with that bunch of Dublin 4 dinosaurs!

Maybe CC RTE into the tv3 mail as well given that people seem to be saying tv3 turned up the sound at the cross when the shed signing "who the **** are RTE..."

;)

Éanna
15/10/2002, 10:02 AM
Maybe CC RTE into the tv3 mail as well given that people seem to be saying tv3 turned up the sound at the cross when the shed signing "who the **** are RTE..."

you might be onto something there :D

Colm
15/10/2002, 5:18 PM
At the end of last nights show Trev invited people to email them saying "we are always happy to recieve your feedback" and he said that they will read out some of the emails on next weeks show.

Éanna
20/10/2002, 3:35 PM
still no reply to my mail. think i´ll start sending it to them every day til they reply.

Éanna
23/10/2002, 3:12 PM
I got a reply, the 3rd time I sent it:

Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 09:27:55 +0100
Reply-To: complaints@rte.ie
Subject: Re: Fwd: coverage of domestic football
To: sportonline@rte.ie

You will be aware that the FAI has negotiated a deal
for International Matches with Sky Sports. In these
circumstances you are asking RTE to broadcast
programmes which will receive a low audience and at the same time not commenting on Sky's exclusive contract with the FAI
for games that will attract a large audience. RTE will
be televising the Cup Final. The Irish soccer
authorities have turned their backs on RTE by denying
us access to their most popular games, yet you feel that
RTE should televise their less popular games. Should
you not address your concerns to the FAI.

Yours sincerely

P***** F*****
Public Affairs
RTÉ

Éanna
23/10/2002, 3:14 PM
He might as well have said he was going to tell his mammy too- completely ignores the complaint, whinges about how mean the FAI are, and then tells me to go talk to them. What a twerp. I replied saying the answers he had given me were unacceptable- lets see what happens now..........

Colm
23/10/2002, 3:24 PM
Maybe somebody should point out that as a public service Broadcaster they are obliged to broadcast the Irish sports availible to them. They are receiving a liecence fee so they should not be basing what they show on viewing figures alone.
Also, surely the cant be getting huge audiences for "the premiership" and Celtic games when people can watch them on BBC/ ITV/ Sky etc.

It seems like a case of sour grapes to me.

Éanna
23/10/2002, 3:36 PM
It seems like a case of sour grapes to me.
Big time. And he was so condescending about it too.

pete
23/10/2002, 5:28 PM
Originally posted by Éanna
I got a reply, the 3rd time I sent it:

Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 09:27:55 +0100
Reply-To: complaints@rte.ie
Subject: Re: Fwd: coverage of domestic football
To: sportonline@rte.ie

You will be aware that the FAI has negotiated a deal
for International Matches with Sky Sports. In these
circumstances you are asking RTE to broadcast
programmes which will receive a low audience and at the same time not commenting on Sky's exclusive contract with the FAI
for games that will attract a large audience. RTE will
be televising the Cup Final. The Irish soccer
authorities have turned their backs on RTE by denying
us access to their most popular games, yet you feel that
RTE should televise their less popular games. Should
you not address your concerns to the FAI.

Yours sincerely

P***** F*****
Public Affairs
RTÉ

Classic RTE :rolleyes:

1. RTE were offered the international rights at a discounted price to Skys but did not take it.
2. RTE bid 1.6m for 4 years of international matches = 200k per match if only 8 home competitive matches or 100k per any game if have 4 home games per year. IRFU got 3m for similar period of games.
3. RTE are broadcasting Celtic highligfhts on sunday afternoons now & i dount they get much viewers.
4. As far as i've noticed so far RTEs Premiership has got at a peak 170k viewers this season & counts 1m (is that correct) a season + costs of studio & pundits.
5. RTE were offered the FAI Cup semi finals but rejected them partially as had Scottish football scheduled already.

Time for an email along the lines of what Public Service Broadcasting is & what a low figure is......

;)

Éanna
24/10/2002, 10:11 AM
Classic RTE :rolleyes:
Isn´t it just. Not only do they completely ignore the question, but they tell you what to do as well :mad:

pete
24/10/2002, 10:43 AM
Public Affairs
RTE

Missed that joke.

:D :rolleyes:

Éanna
24/10/2002, 1:59 PM
I am upset at your response to my email. I did not
intend to be rude. Indeed I do not think I was rude to
you. The simple truth is that the FAI have some
"pearls" and some "scraps". They've sold off their
pearls to Sky and you think RTE should be grateful to
accept their scraps. The economics of television are
that it is far cheaper for RTE to show Scottish
football where we simply pay a modest licence fee for
Irish rights than it is to send cameras and outside
broadcasting units to domestic football. There isn't a
large viewing audience for domestic soccer. You cannot
blame RTE for that - market forces determine that the
best Irish players play in the UK. I know the League
of Ireland does its best. But the public vote with
their feet and their zappers - and they are not
supporting Irish soccer in sufficient numbers to make
it attractive for RTE to televise their games.

Please don't take offence at what I'm saying. I was a
season ticket holder at Shamrock Rovers during the good
days. Now I couldn't name one player on their team.

P***** F*****

Éanna
24/10/2002, 2:00 PM
that was their reply when i reminded them that they were a public service broadcaster!

Yer man must have been a taxi driver before- seein as how he supported rovers in "the good old days" :rolleyes: :D

Schumi
24/10/2002, 2:52 PM
that was their reply when i reminded them that they were a public service broadcaster!

Yer man must have been a taxi driver before- seein as how he supported rovers in "the good old days" :rolleyes: :D

They must have been getting 40,000 a game in those days if all the people who say they were diehard Rovers fans in Milltown and haven't gone to a game since actually were. It's worse than the GPO in 1916!

Éanna
24/10/2002, 3:01 PM
Originally posted by Schumi
They must have been getting 40,000 a game in those days if all the people who say they were diehard Rovers fans in Milltown and haven't gone to a game since actually were. It's worse than the GPO in 1916!

it´s verging on the unbelievable alright

Macy
24/10/2002, 3:02 PM

As a matter of interest, as you seem to be getting through to this bloke, any chance that you could ask him for comparitive viewing figures? Live matches, and the Sunday Sport......

I must get on to the FOI department here and see whether a FOI request would get the viewing figures out of them..... We know how much (roughly) they paid, so we could work out the VFM of the investment.....

pete
24/10/2002, 5:35 PM
Probably the most sincere & least childish reply i've possible ever seen from RTE - that guy must only have started work there this week ;)

I can see RTE might get decent viewing figures for the Glasgow derby games (with BBC broadcasting they likely to lose a bit too) but does anyone know if even Glasgow Celtic diehards even watched those highlights of a celtic v non-Rangers team?

I think generally RTE have little chance of licence fee increase in the future anyway unless they start outlining what programmes ares public service & what are pure commercial.

IMO i wouldn't consider the FAI Cup final as PS as it should bring in enough viewers to at least break even. If thats the case theres pretty much zero public service broadcasting of irish football now...

dinny
24/10/2002, 5:41 PM
as for FOI,

RTE have now to respond to FOI requests e.g staff salaries/contracts although they could use the act to say that releasing the viewing figures could be against their Commercial interest which is a legliamate reason under the act. You might in that instance have to appeal to the FOI commissioner Kevin Murphy and his descision is final.

Who says civil servants are taking up valuable oxygen :D :D

dinny
24/10/2002, 5:42 PM
apologies for **** spelling as I forgot to spellcheck it

Colm
24/10/2002, 7:33 PM
does anyone know if even Glasgow Celtic diehards even watched those highlights of a celtic v non-Rangers team?
I very much doubt it. The footballs crap, there is nothing at stake and from what ive heard RTE's overall presentation of the package is far inferior to what BBC are doing.
Im pretty sure that they would get at least as much viewers for a live el match.
Would be interesting to see what kinda figures TV3 are getting for el weekly and what they will get when they start broadcasting live matches.

Schumi
25/10/2002, 9:43 AM
The quality of football in the Old Firm match was terrible as well. I watched the first half hour or so and was fondly reminiscing about UCD - Monghan games from last season;) . I'd say the figures for the Celtic games aren't great but it probably doesn't cost them much. They probably consider that to be public service Irish football too.:rolleyes:

pete
25/10/2002, 9:50 AM
Originally posted by Schumi
I'd say the figures for the Celtic games aren't great but it probably doesn't cost them much. They probably consider that to be public service Irish football too.:rolleyes:

Where would RTE be only for BBC handmedowns. If BBC didn't have tv rights to as many sports events as they do RTE wouldn't have much to show.

Macy
25/10/2002, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by dinny
as for FOI,

RTE have now to respond to FOI requests e.g staff salaries/contracts although they could use the act to say that releasing the viewing figures could be against their Commercial interest which is a legliamate reason under the act. You might in that instance have to appeal to the FOI commissioner Kevin Murphy and his descision is final.

Who says civil servants are taking up valuable oxygen :D :D

Not so sure, as it's only viewing figures (which for the likes of the soaps are regularly released), not the commercial income that they gain.... the point would be being the self proclaimed public broadcaster, how do the viewing figures compare..... They are either a public service broadcaster or they're not - maybe we can prove they're not...... When I get a chance I'll head up to the FOI Department here and suss it......

A civil servant who actually does some work ;)

pete
25/10/2002, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Macy

Who? what? where?

Éanna
25/10/2002, 1:44 PM
Originally posted by Macy

sshhh. they´ll hear you :eek:

Gary
27/10/2002, 12:12 PM
ya, after about 4 emails i finally got a reply stating that my complaint has been forwarded to their complaints dept. I would have thought it should have been forwarded there a bit sooner.

However, any reply i get i assume it will be much like Eanna reply.

Time will tell.

Gary
31/10/2002, 12:34 PM
Dear Mr GWA,

Please accept our apologies for the delay in replying to
you email. I am sorry that you are unhappy with our
coverage of Irish football. I think you have to see our
coverage in the context of the decision taken by the FAI
to award Irish rights to their international matches to
Sky Television. In any sport some games are going to
attract larger audiences than other games. If the
Sports body gives away the rights to its most attractive
matches to one broadcaster, is it fair to ask another
broadcaster to pick up the less attractive matches? As
you know RTE covered the FAI cup final between Derry
City and Shamrock Rovers. This indicates that RTE still
has a commitment to Irish soccer, even if the FAI has
decided that Sky should have the international matches.

Sport allows everyone to have an opinion - you don't
even need to have ever kicked a ball. So your opinion
that RTE is "pathetic and a disgrace to our great
nation" is just as valid as any other opinion. But it
doesn't mean that we agree with it!

Best wishes

P**** F*****
Public Affairs
RTÉ

Éanna
31/10/2002, 1:22 PM
this guy is onlya smart arsed l@nger

Schumi
31/10/2002, 2:34 PM
this guy is onlya smart arsed l@nger
What do you expect him to say? "Yes, you're right. RTE are a disgrace"?

pete
31/10/2002, 3:47 PM
is it fair to ask another

TV Licence fee = public service.

What mail address ye sending those mails too? Bit busy this week but will get around to sending you next week.......