PDA

View Full Version : Cup Semi Final Review: Pats v Rovers

LeixlipRed
28/10/2006, 11:04 AM
Mod Edit: gjmclarke post removed

And how would it have been possible for anyone other than Pats to have beaten Rovers last night?

And I don't see Pats as being a vastly better team to have defending our coeff in Europe next year than Rovers would be. And for the record, Rovers were the far better team on the night

Conor H
28/10/2006, 11:09 AM

Very stupid post and obviously just another pathetic anti Rovers person.Rovers dominated most of the game and for large parts lokked a better side.I think it says alot about Galway,Rovers and Dundalk-all of whom are pretty much on an even par.....i'd say we could well hold our own in the premier.
Rovers lacked a killer insticnt but most certainly we're the better team.Also if Pats were to win the Cup final i don't see how you're so confident that they wouldn't "mess up" the coefficent,considering they just about beat Rovers.

Passive
28/10/2006, 11:12 AM
Rovers were the far better team on the night

I was obviously wearing Hoops goggles, but I thought we were the better side. I was slightly surprised to read the match reports in the papers today. Both the Indo and the Times seemed to think Pat's deserved it, although the tabloids all said Rovers were very unlucky.

I think the oldest Rovers player on the pitch last night was 23, so that gives an indication of the youth and inexperience of the side. The combined age of our two strikers was 38. We were missing 11 players, at least six of whom would have been first choice players. Just to illustrate how short on players we were last night - I had never even heard of either of our substitutes. Under those circumstances, we have to be proud of the lads taking the game to Pat's and putting them on the backfoot for much of the 90 minutes.

End of the day, nobody at the start of the season could have thought we'd be in the semi finals of the FAI Cup. The players did the entire club proud and reminded every football fan in the country that we are on the way back. That, to me, is just as important as any trophy.

Dr.Nightdub
28/10/2006, 11:54 AM
Fairly dire game. Both sides had plenty of commitment and while Rovers had plenty of energy, we had that bit more composure especially in midfield. I think that's what the Times and Indo reports were getting at.

Don't see how hoops can claim they were "the better team" - both sides created two clear scoring chances, Rovers hit the post with one and totally fluffed the other, we scored with our two. Having more possession, which Rovers probably did, is not much use unless you do something with it - as Bohs found out a fortnight ago. There's a steel to this Pats team that's been missing for a long time and as our recent run has shown, it's not as if we don't know how to score goals either.

I'll take the win but being a nasty vindictive git, I wanted a far more emphatic scoreline. I said to a Rovers mate after the 5-1 win against Bray, you can only destroy what's put in front of you, we didn't destroy Rovers last night and that much is a disappointment. Brilliant atmosphere in the main stand for the whole 90 minutes, that and the win made the whole night worthwhile.

Dodge
28/10/2006, 11:59 AM
As hoopdub said poor game. Think we were the better side even if Rovers played better (if you know what I mean) Never really felt like they'd score and thought we could've stepped it up if needs be

Passive
28/10/2006, 12:04 PM
Fairly dire game. Both sides had plenty of commitment and while Rovers had plenty of energy, we had that bit more composure especially in midfield. I think that's what the Times and Indo reports were getting at. Don't see how hoops can claim they were "the better team" - both sides created two clear scoring chances, Rovers hit the post with one and totally fluffed the other, we scored with our two.

I'll take the win but I wanted a far more emphatic scoreline.

Points taken, but I thought we had two good chances with headers in the first half also.

The Kilkenny game being called off at the weekend came back to bite us because it meant that Ray Kenny was suspended for the Pat's match. I thought Kenny would have settled the side and could have given us that extra bit we needed to get the equaliser. Ger Rowe, too, was a big loss.

Fair play to the Pat's players for coming over to the Rovers fans after the game. Bizarre to see Rovers fans clap a victorious Pat's side off the pitch. Anyone would think we're going soft.

pete
28/10/2006, 12:17 PM
Considering Rovers are a team of kids Pats were very poor.

Didn't see the 1sdt half Rovers dominated almost the entire 2nd half without putting chances away. Pats were very slow to the ball & generally very poor.

hoopy
28/10/2006, 12:27 PM

I think it says alot about Galway,Rovers and Dundalk-all of whom are pretty much on an even par......

Talking to a few of our players later on and they all said that Galway are still the best team we've played this season, including those in the cup, and we're all annoyed over the players out as they felt for sure that Pats were there for the taking. Good atmosphere from both sides, and I thought for a semi final there were no nasty tackles which was unusual

BohDiddley
28/10/2006, 3:16 PM
Thank you Keego.

sonofstan
28/10/2006, 3:58 PM
Thank you Keego.

There were more players on the Pats team last night with Championship medals won with Bohs than there were on the pitch in Dalymount

mypost
28/10/2006, 4:35 PM
conor dont take this as a big anti galway thing, its not....but i dont agree with that - those 3 teams hold their own in the premier? dont think so, i gaurantee was all to come up -1 would definatly go straight back....dont let last nites game fool yehs, there is still a Huge gulf in class between both divisions....look at what we did, we brought in a good few new players, and undoubted class,even after winning the 1st division, cause at this level its what ye need! sayin yous could hold your own with your current squads is very doubtful.

This coming from a club who can't beat Waterford, and struggle badly to beat Killester. :D

Sligo are enjoying their honeymoon season, will be down there battling to beat the drop next year, and it won't be long before they're back down in the LOI dungeon division.

sligoman
28/10/2006, 4:50 PM
This coming from a club who can't beat Waterford, and struggle badly to beat Killester. :DWhat's this (http://www.sligorovers.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=86&Itemid=99) and this (http://www.sligorovers.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=141&Itemid=98)?:confused:.

As for our third game with them this season, Waterford had improved at that stage. They had beaten the team that knocked ye out of the cup last night too.

As for your team, ye couldn't even beat Galway in the biggest game of yer season!:rolleyes:

bohsmug
28/10/2006, 5:28 PM
This coming from a club who can't beat Waterford, and struggle badly to beat Killester. :D

Sligo are enjoying their honeymoon season, will be down there battling to beat the drop next year, and it won't be long before they're back down in the LOI dungeon division.

This post just makes no sense. How is that a response to someone saying that there's a gulf in class between the Premier Division and the 1st Division? Are you saying there's no gulf in class because Sligo can't beat Waterford? (which is a load of bull too 'cos they did). Where's the logic?

Frankfurt Hoop
28/10/2006, 10:23 PM
typical shams post...think before you speak matadone man.......

Spell before you type, Sligo man!

I think that there is no doubt that the top three in the First would live comfortably in the Premier. Sligo have done really well and played some great football. But so many clubs in the Premier have taken a huge step back from last season and three clubs in the first have far better teams than they had last year.

green-blood
28/10/2006, 11:15 PM
an important thing to remember gents is that up in the Lego stand last night were 11 Rovers players, cup tied, suspended, injured and ineligeble because one is on loan from Pats - thats life things conspired, we got over it put 11 commited players on the pitch and played football, to foot. true chest bursting pride.

good luck to pats now, they will need it beat Derry :D

Rovers have played 4 games Vs premier opposition this year, 2 wins, 1 draw and 1 defeat... thats "holding our own" in my book

mypost
29/10/2006, 12:32 AM
As for your team, ye couldn't even beat Galway in the biggest game of yer season!:rolleyes:

Unlike Waterford in their league, Galway are one of the best sides in ours, and along with Dundalk and ourselves would easily beat them and Bray as of now.

Bray and Waterford, like Sligo since, have had great seasons when they got promoted. Look at Bray now, look at Waterford since, down at the foot at the table. UCD haven't set the world on fire this season either. Sligo will follow the pattern soon. Only Longford have made significant progress since winning promotion - after they survived a relegation play-off in 2002.

harry crumb
29/10/2006, 12:53 AM
Thought it was a terrible match especially Pats who were poor. I liked Rovers commitment and spirit and great to see such youth on the team.

Disappointing crowd for a Cup Semi.

Derry and Sligo will show ye Dublin fellas what a Cup semi should be like.

cheifo
29/10/2006, 12:57 AM
Young lad in midfield looks a real prospect(Gill?).Congrats to Pats, they have come through a difficult few seasons.Considering players out I thought commitment shown by Rovers players was fantastic.Scully seems to be a good motivator of players.

GK for the Town
29/10/2006, 1:25 AM
fair to say the game wasnt end-to-end fantastic football but the atmosphere was Brilliant. Both sets of supporters should be proud !!!! the 'red army' chant that went on for 20 odd mins(from Pats) was Quality !!!! I was talkin to a few people who dont normally go to EL games and they said the atmosphere was good enough to attend a few more games,, that cant be bad.