PDA

View Full Version : Sean St. Ledger

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Stuttgart88
27/10/2006, 8:39 PM
I've had Rovers vs Pats on my laptop & Burnley vs Preston on TV (easy to spot Mrs Stuttgart is out!). I've been having a look at SLS. As I type he's just had a yellow card and scored an OG in space of 90 seconds! In fairness, the OG was by getting his head to the ball to prevent a likely goal, but having got there he might have put it wide.

He looks a bit like John Terry with the spiky hair and his style is like a slightly more aggressive Gary Breen. He runs & holds his hands in exactly the same way as Breen.

I thought he started slowly, losing his man and occasionally his position, but by and large he looks OK, quite athletic & not bad for a young lad.

Having said that, Paddy McCarthy is considerably ahead of him from what I've seen tonight, down mainly to having just over a year's more experience probably. From what I've seen, I can see no reason on merit for St. Ledger to be selected ahead of McCarthy. Although SLS looks agile, McCarthy is more aggressive and looks stronger. Admittedly, the guy SLS was marking was enormous (Noel-Williams I think, sound was turned down).

Separately, James O'Connor did OK, got a good goal, and looks to me to have far more presence than Liam Miller. Not sure he's good enough or big enough for international football though. Micahel Duff of Norn Iron is a solid, no nonsense player and young Karl Lafferty from Belfast has just come on.

As I type Burnley have just gone 3-2 up, and it looked like St Ledger may have been fouled in the build up. At the moment, I'd describe him very much as ''work in progress''.

PS: James O'Connor awarded MoTM and dedicated the award to George O'Callaghan, who has shingles & viral meningitis. Following a trial at Ipswich too. What is it with shingles, viruses, Ipswich & Irish footballers?

as_i_say
28/10/2006, 12:10 AM
ignorance maybe but who is george o callaghan?
why isnt mccarthy in our squad?
how does st ledger qualify for us-i dont know why but i keep thinking of roger moore

Soper
28/10/2006, 12:37 AM
He is an Irish player

as_i_say
28/10/2006, 12:39 AM
i actually remember now-he's an el player but who does he play for

Stuttgart88
28/10/2006, 8:22 AM
O'Callaghan had a bust up with Ricahrdson at Cork City earlier this year and I think he's been in limbo since, but am open to correction. He's regarded as one of the best midfielders in the eL and did very well when Cork won the league last season. He had a trial at Ipswich earlier this (UK) season but nothing came of it.

OwlsFan
28/10/2006, 8:28 AM
Just saw the game this am on TV. Yes, St. L didn't cover himself in glory I am afraid. Enjoyable game though: 3-2 to Burnley. Alan Mahon only came on as a last minute sub for them as well.

Wonder what was with the playing of "The Wild Rover" over the tannoy at the end of the game?

tetsujin1979
28/10/2006, 12:10 PM
He had a trial at Ipswich earlier this (UK) season but nothing came of it.
He can't move until January, when the transfer window opens, so it may happen then. Think he had a trial at Hull as well.

pete
28/10/2006, 12:20 PM
He can't move until January, when the transfer window opens, so it may happen then.

There was no point extending the Ipswich trial due to transfer window you mentioned. Word was he was due to move in January but I think meningitis could put an end to that now...

Dodge
28/10/2006, 1:36 PM
PLayers are free to sign for championship teams outside the window.

tetsujin1979
28/10/2006, 6:34 PM
I'm pretty sure that's only in the same football federation (the FA) it doesn't apply to international transfers

Dodge
28/10/2006, 7:00 PM
I'm pretty sure that's only in the same football federation (the FA) it doesn't apply to international transfers

Yeah could be true. Never thought of that

drinkfeckarse
31/10/2006, 10:38 AM
I remember Magilton saying that something might happen come the transfer window but there was nothing they could do about it until January so it looks as if they might have been interested but had to wait anyway.

Tis-smeee
03/04/2007, 4:52 PM
http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2007/04/03/scouting_report_sean_st_ledger.html

Over the post
03/04/2007, 5:28 PM
http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2007/04/03/scouting_report_sean_st_ledger.html

Didn't see this thread; I posted the article in the Frecklington one earlier as it is part of the same scouting series.

Stuttgart88
06/05/2007, 8:24 PM
From today's Sunday Times:

How did you end up playing for Ireland?

Both my grandparents on my mother’s side are Irish. I used to love going over there for the brilliant cooking and I’ve always been very close to them. I supported Aston Villa as a lad and along with my dad was a season ticket holder at the Holte End.

At the time there was Andy Townsend, Ray Houghton, Steve Staunton and Paul McGrath. McGrath was a legend. We always used to support Ireland on TV and were ecstatic when Houghton scored that goal against Italy in the World Cup in 1994. I never owned an England shirt and I was always brought up with the idea that if I played for any country one day, it would be Ireland.

Right answer Sean!

Full interview:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/article1752484.ece

geysir
07/05/2007, 10:10 AM
How does he do on the pitch?

Dr. Ogba
08/05/2007, 8:31 AM
Surely with Preston missing the playoffs now is the time to give St. Ledger a starting role on the US tour. I think himself and McCarthy would be an interesting CB pairing to look at...

OneRedArmy
08/05/2007, 8:58 AM
From today's Sunday Times:

How did you end up playing for Ireland?

Both my grandparents on my mother’s side are Irish. I used to love going over there for the brilliant cooking and I’ve always been very close to them. I supported Aston Villa as a lad and along with my dad was a season ticket holder at the Holte End.

At the time there was Andy Townsend, Ray Houghton, Steve Staunton and Paul McGrath. McGrath was a legend. We always used to support Ireland on TV and were ecstatic when Houghton scored that goal against Italy in the World Cup in 1994. I never owned an England shirt and I was always brought up with the idea that if I played for any country one day, it would be Ireland.

Right answer Sean!

Full interview:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/article1752484.eceDid he play underage for Ireland?

Stuttgart88
08/05/2007, 9:29 AM
No, he was fast-tracked into the senior squad for the Germany game after Stan saw him on "Big Ron: The Manager", sorry, after he was tipped off by Big Ron.

OneRedArmy
08/05/2007, 9:32 AM
No, he was fast-tracked into the senior squad for the Germany game after Stan saw him on "Big Ron: The Manager", sorry, after he was tipped off by Big Ron.Thats what I thought.

I'd therefore take the above with a large bucket of salt.

Stuttgart88
12/05/2009, 6:56 AM
Anyone see the second leg of the play-off last night?

I saw the second half only.

SLS was top class again. Definitely good enough to play at a higher level. The guy has pretty much everything you'd want: mobile, good in the air, strong in the tackle, good reading / anticipation, good with both feet, good in the opponent's box, pretty much everything.

He's got to be given a run against Nigeria.

The other Irish weren't as prominent: Nolan looked decent while PNE were chasing the game, Quinn was as tenacious as ever and Elliott got a late run out, looking busy and having a shot deflected wide.

youngirish
12/05/2009, 9:30 AM

SLS was top class again. Definitely good enough to play at a higher level. The guy has pretty much everything you'd want: mobile, good in the air, strong in the tackle, good reading / anticipation, good with both feet, good in the opponent's box, pretty much everything.

The other Irish weren't as prominent: Nolan looked decent while PNE were chasing the game, Quinn was as tenacious as ever and Elliott got a late run out, looking busy and having a shot deflected wide.
It's a pity Preston didn't win. I think St Ledger would cope in the Premiership better than Stephen Quinn though Quinn might still do a job there if the Blades get promoted.

Its unfortunate JJ O'Toole can't seem to force his way back into the Sheffield United team at the moment. He seems to have lost his way a bit in recent weeks after a promising start to his loan move there. If they get promoted hopefully Blackwell will consider making his loan move permanent.

the doc
12/05/2009, 9:41 AM

I agree, stood up to the big game pressure and worked his socks off, his clearance off the line in the 2nd half was outstanding.

Rumours at the game last night of St Ledger moving to the Premiership last night, but most fans see him as Preston's future captain and the player to lead us into the Premiership.

Sadly I can't see him getting into the Ireland squad whilst Trapp and Givens are there, as they will always go for McShane and Bruce (now he has been given a new contract, thanks to an old pals act by Keane)

Eddie Nolan had a tough job last night and wasn't helped by the Preston midfield leaving him under constant pressure all night.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2009/may/12/eddie-nolan-preston-north-end-scouting-report

Elliott should of been introduced earlier, as his pace could of put them under pressure, he worked hard but needed more time to get into the game.

tetsujin1979
12/05/2009, 10:04 AM
Its unfortunate JJ O'Toole can't seem to force his way back into the Sheffield United team at the moment. He seems to have lost his way a bit in recent weeks after a promising start to his loan move there. If they get promoted hopefully Blackwell will consider making his loan move permanent.
O'Toole's been out with an ankle ligament injury for the last 2 games.

NeilMcD
12/05/2009, 1:31 PM
I agree, stood up to the big game pressure and worked his socks off, his clearance off the line in the 2nd half was outstanding.

Rumours at the game last night of St Ledger moving to the Premiership last night, but most fans see him as Preston's future captain and the player to lead us into the Premiership.

Sadly I can't see him getting into the Ireland squad whilst Trapp and Givens are there, as they will always go for McShane and Bruce (now he has been given a new contract, thanks to an old pals act by Keane)

Eddie Nolan had a tough job last night and wasn't helped by the Preston midfield leaving him under constant pressure all night.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2009/may/12/eddie-nolan-preston-north-end-scouting-report

Elliott should of been introduced earlier, as his pace could of put them under pressure, he worked hard but needed more time to get into the game.

Jesus you really hate Alex Bruce. Did he publish pictures of you and Sean St Ledger in a compromising position or something. I doubt Keane would give him a new contract just cause he is Steve Bruce's son.

the doc
12/05/2009, 5:04 PM
Jesus you really hate Alex Bruce. I doubt Keane would give him a new contract just cause he is Steve Bruce's son.

I beg to differ!

Then again Keane signed McShane for Sunderland before realising he was a poor player, so his judgement isn't the best.

Alex Bruce would not be where he is in football if it wasn't for his dad, who also happens to be a good friend of DG! :eek:

stiffler
12/05/2009, 5:16 PM
I havent seen much of St Ledger play this season.

Has he done enough to warrant a move to a premiership side?

What would be an ideal move for him, someone like pompey who are rebuilding?

the doc
12/05/2009, 7:21 PM

http://www.pnefc.net/page/NewsDetail/0,,10362~1655378,00.html

tetsujin1979
12/05/2009, 7:37 PM
I beg to differ!

Then again Keane signed McShane for Sunderland before realising he was a poor player, so his judgement isn't the best.

Alex Bruce would not be where he is in football if it wasn't for his dad, who also happens to be a good friend of DG! :eek:
Keane's been following McShane's career since he was in the youths at United.

eirebhoy
12/05/2009, 8:42 PM
Keane actually played centre half beside McShane in a friendly against Bayern Munich years ago.

prince20
12/05/2009, 8:46 PM
Keane actually played centre half beside McShane in a friendly against Bayern Munich years ago.

And this "information" has what relevance to Sean St Ledger??:eek:

tricky_colour
12/05/2009, 8:49 PM
I beg to differ!

Whatever you think about McShane, if you look at Hull's record with and without him the difference is quite revealing, I am not saying he is responsible for all that difference, but looking at the statistics I doubt there is one Hull fan who would not have him back in the team!!

P W D L
17 7 4 6 = 25points = 1.47 points per game with McShane
15 1 4 10 = 7points = 0.46 points per game without McShane

Paddy Garcia
12/05/2009, 8:57 PM
Whatever you think about McShane, if you look at Hull's record with and without him the difference is quite revealing, I am not saying he is responsible for all that difference, but looking at the statistics I doubt there is one Hull fan who would not have him back in the team!!

P W D L
17 7 4 6 = 25points = 1.47 points per game with McShane
15 1 4 10 = 7points = 0.46 points per game without McShane

Why post then - if you think McShane was responsible for the success and his absence can be attributed for their "recent" failure then you are so very off the mark. The man can't get a game of football - except with us, which is a bit of an insult.

[QUOTE=the doc;1158757]
Sadly I can't see him getting into the Ireland squad whilst Trapp and Givens are there, as they will always go for McShane and Bruce
[QUOTE]

You have a point, the choice of McShane over St Ledger is unbelievable.

tricky_colour
12/05/2009, 9:10 PM
Why post then - if you think McShane was responsible for the success and his absence can be attributed for their "recent" failure then you are so very off the mark. The man can't get a game of football - except with us, which is a bit of an insult.

[quote=the doc;1158757]
Sadly I can't see him getting into the Ireland squad whilst Trapp and Givens are there, as they will always go for McShane and Bruce
[quote]

You have a point, the choice of McShane over St Ledger is unbelievable.What I am saying is that the figures speak for themselves, Hull got 3 times more points with McShane than without him, that's a fact which is hard to ignore. I would go as far as to say that if he had stayed at Hull they would not be in the relegation zone at the monent. If Hull could have him back for the last two games I expect they would bite your hand off!!
I have not seen him play much but I can certaintly compare those two sets of figures and the difference looks highly significant to me!

DmanDmythDledge
12/05/2009, 9:20 PM
Stats are pointless in football in >90% of situations.

There's been plenty of problems that have caused Hull to slide down the table. Losing McShane would be well down that list, if even on it.

tricky_colour
12/05/2009, 9:32 PM

There's been plenty of problems that have caused Hull to slide down the table. Losing McShane would be well down that list, if even on it.

Have to disagree with you there, he was one eleventh of the team and they were three times better with him.

Stuttgart88
12/05/2009, 9:34 PM

Only assuming a normal distribution.

DmanDmythDledge
12/05/2009, 9:35 PM
Have to disagree with you there, he was one eleventh of the team and they were thre times better with him.
He was average at best with them. Hull rode their luck at times and relied a lot on Geovanni. Hull crumbled around the time he went off form. Loads more reasons, but I won't get into them here to prevent hi-jacking the thread further.

paul_oshea
12/05/2009, 9:43 PM

good man stutts :D

DmanDmythDledge
12/05/2009, 9:49 PM
You wha?

tetsujin1979
12/05/2009, 10:07 PM
You wha?
In probability theory and statistics, the normal distribution (also know as he Gaussian distribution) is a continuous probability distribution that describes data that clusters around a mean or average. The graph of the associated probability density function is bell-shaped, with a peak at the mean, and is known as the Gaussian function or bell curve. Duh ;)

Paddy Garcia
12/05/2009, 10:11 PM
In probability theory and statistics, the normal distribution (also know as he Gaussian distribution) is a continuous probability distribution that describes data that clusters around a mean or average. The graph of the associated probability density function is bell-shaped, with a peak at the mean, and is known as the Gaussian function or bell curve. Duh ;)

Lies, damn lies, and statistics

paul_oshea
13/05/2009, 9:52 AM
deleted

the doc
13/05/2009, 7:45 PM

Just maybe,Trapp has taken notice! ;) :)

Stuttgart88
13/05/2009, 8:47 PM
Have you heard anything?

eirebhoy
13/05/2009, 8:53 PM
Have you heard anything?
I'd take it by doc's post that he's in the provisional squad. I think the full squad is announced on Monday?

tetsujin1979
13/05/2009, 9:52 PM
I'd take it by doc's post that he's in the provisional squad. I think the full squad is announced on Monday?
Yeah, I read somewhere it would be announced on the 18th

Superhoops
13/05/2009, 10:53 PM
Yeah, I read somewhere it would be announced on the 18th
Squad for both games being announced on Monday 18th at 2pm in Abbotstown.

the doc
14/05/2009, 8:31 AM
English Daily Express, Everton in 4m bid for Sean St Ledger.

paul_oshea
14/05/2009, 9:06 AM
English Daily Express, Everton in 4m bid for Sean St Ledger.

If true, sounds good, but dont they have 3 good CBs there already. Though I cant see moyes spending 4 mil without actually using the player a lot. He wont surely dispose of Jagielka or Lescott?!