PDA

View Full Version : Be realistic....

Dricky
07/10/2002, 9:52 AM
OK I have always said that Gunther was not the man for the job and I still think that

but being realistic these calls for him to get the boot are 1) not going to happen, 2)not good for the club.

Look at the facts, regardless of what you think of Gunther the team is in second place in the league behind the only full time team, we have been knocked out in the semi of the cup. The crowds are up, and the club has a new plan for the future,

on the results of late, we knew they were coming, but lets face it why would lennox want to fire Gunther.
he's home grown so he's cheaper, he has the team second in the league(weather he was responsible for this I doubt), crowds are at 5000+

We have to face facts until we are doing worse than we preformed than last year.

After this I do think supporters should get behind the team more now is the time to encourage your friends and family to come to the matches with you, gunthers there until his contract runs out,

Keep the numbers up keep your friends going to the matches, we should be making the club the team that people want to be
1). the manager of
2). a player for
3). a fan of

there is no point inn turning on the manger just yet, face it he is there until season end. he's not going to respond to the fans, so ignore him get behind the team, the reason we are all agreed we love Cork City.

he may be a crap manager, but numbers are up, club is getting better cover, and we are doing better than the last couple of years, what board would sack him.

We are City from the cross!!!!!

pete
07/10/2002, 1:13 PM
Originally posted by Dricky
he may be a crap manager, but numbers are up, club is getting better cover, and we are doing better than the last couple of years, what board would sack him.

You are asking why a board would sack a crap manager? Have you not answered it yourself?

By the end of this season Liam Murphy will have had almost 2.5 seasons in charge. failure to qualify for europe this season would be a sacking or none renewed contract for any city Manager let alone Murphy.

I am sick of these excuses about a "young team".

The eL has changed & i'd guess all clubs have younger squad than had 5 years ago.

Carey may have just turned 21 but he has 2 years experience.
O'Grady may be younger than he looks but has vast eL experience.
JOF is 20 but is unl;ikely to improve chasing Gunthers tactical hoofs in tolka or dalymount.

I can't think of of any other "young" players.

:rolleyes:

Gary
07/10/2002, 1:19 PM
he has the team second in the league(weather he was responsible for this I doubt), crowds are at 5000+

Neither of which will last too long. I think Shels are in 2nd now anyway, and Id be VERY surprised if the is many more that 2500 against dirty Drogs in 2 weeks time.

(this is my 400th post btw!):rolleyes:

Dricky
07/10/2002, 2:01 PM
As I said what board would sack him he hasn't been sacked yet dispite the last 2.5 years
the team is doing the best ever and numbers are at there highest.
they'll keep him till year end
what I am stating is that he's going to be there till year end, that when we knew he would be jugded so why start the calls for his head now, it will get nowhere, instead get behind the team. keep the numbers up but make sure Lennox knoows that they need a new man.

Colm
07/10/2002, 3:18 PM
Look at the facts, regardless of what you think of Gunther the team is in second place in the league behind the only full time team, we have been knocked out in the semi of the cup. The crowds are up, and the club has a new plan for the future,
We are now in joint third now with Longford, we will probabley lose to Derry on sunday and drop down another place or two. This aint good enough.
The crowds kept coming back because all the defeats and poor performances were away from home but now that the sunshiners have seen us play crap and lose i doubt if we will see them for another few months.
Dont be fooled this season is very quickley turning into a repeat of last season, something needs to be done and Gunther IS NOT the man to do it.

pete
07/10/2002, 4:18 PM
I would say the club are unlikely to sack Liam Murphy. However i doubt he will be given a new extended contract.

Memories a bit dodgy but i could swear Murphy got an extension (when we qualified for the totty cup) to keep him at the club for a further two years. If thats correct would appear he got a contract til next April/May as was made during old season structure.

Assuming all this correct then Mr. Lennox will have decision to make next January with 2 options:

1. Give Liam an extension through to November 2003.
2. Pay out the remaining 4 months of his contract & start new 2003 season in March with new manager.

p.s. i have naturally excluded the unthinkable option of giving Murphy any extension beyond November 2003 ;)

Éanna
07/10/2002, 6:04 PM
My fear is this: murphy got away with murder last season, and he´s likely to get away with anything shrot of relegation after it.

He has to be replaced- hopefully before next season.

Shed End John
08/10/2002, 3:23 PM
As I said what board would sack him he hasn't been sacked yet dispite the last 2.5 years
the team is doing the best ever and numbers are at there highest.
they'll keep him till year end
what I am stating is that he's going to be there till year end, that when we knew he would be jugded so why start the calls for his head now, it will get nowhere, instead get behind the team. keep the numbers up but make sure Lennox knoows that they need a new man.

You obviously haven't supported City very long and don't know your CCFC history. 1993- City come back from the dead to win the Championship after 2 rounds of playoffs.
1998- City pull off an unexpected Cup win, beating holders $hels in the Final after a replay. This was the club doing its best ever.
The numbers WERE there. Next home game won't even attract 3,000 in the gates. It's because we're behind the team that we want LM out and want to see some trophies coming to Leeside.

Murphy Out Now!!!

pete
08/10/2002, 6:03 PM
Originally posted by Shed End John

Next home game won't even attract 3,000 in the gates.

3k isn't bad (relatively speaking) as there are few clubs in the country that can match that at the moment.

Dricky
09/10/2002, 7:34 AM
Shed End John
****** (no offence but ******)
Firstly I have from the beginning!!!!!! I'm older then you know
Second It is Gunthers reign I was talking about you must have missed that bit!!!!!!!!!!!
The fans that turn up don't appear to care about Gunther they are there because of results and as it stands they are at there best. better than the last two years as I was saying
Third
3,000 is a good crowd when you look at all other teams in the el. If the Dublin four had those numbers all season they would be happy.

That 1993 & FAI final, Gunther was not in charge, gunther is bringing in the best results best crowds and some good players (This will be Lennoxs view not mine) we are ahead of the Big teams bar 1. Face it Cork City is a business and the business is running well, there is no one available to do it better so thing won't change.

Éanna
09/10/2002, 8:46 AM
You obviously haven't supported City very long and don't know your CCFC history.
can we please avoid the whole "I´m a better fan than you debate" It´s been done before and never leads anywhere. John, Dricky´s been on this board a lot longer than you, and as someone who´s read most of his posts, I can promise you he does know what he´s talking about.

Jim Smith
09/10/2002, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by pete

3k isn't bad (relatively speaking) as there are few clubs in the country that can match that at the moment.

Maybe Pete, but Cork City FC has a very large 'catchment area' and 3k should be our core support in a country that is supposed to be mad for sport. Perhaps people all over are mad for success rather than sport?

pete
09/10/2002, 3:40 PM
Originally posted by Jim Smith
Perhaps people all over are mad for success rather than sport?

Yup, Irelands a nation of bandwagon supporters.

Where do all ther championship GAA supporters go in the winter for the league?
Look at the crowds at Munster Heineken League rugby matches compared with AIl league matches. If Munster weren't winning virtually every home does anyone belive they'd continue with those crowds?

Shed End John
10/10/2002, 11:21 AM
Shed End John
****** (no offence but ******)

Must congratulate you on a wonderfully sporting attitude. You're a City fan on this forum like me and you use it to have a stab at your fellow supporters. VERY WELL DONE INDEED.

3,000 is a good crowd when you look at all other teams in the el.

3,000 is something we should be aiming for as a MINIMUM attendance at ANY game, not something nto be admired when we do get it.

we are ahead of the Big teams bar 1.

And look just how far behind Bohs we are. Bet we won't even hold 2nd place and qualify for Europe.

Murphy Out Now!!!

SÓC
10/10/2002, 1:20 PM
Murphy Out is really just getting a soundbite at this stage.

Why not change the script a bit every now and again.

How about a bit of a change in what ye say, I mean slate the man all ye want but use some other phrase!!

p.s. Gunther forever

Éanna
10/10/2002, 2:45 PM
Originally posted by pete
Yup, Irelands a nation of bandwagon supporters.

Where do all ther championship GAA supporters go in the winter for the league?
Look at the crowds at Munster Heineken League rugby matches compared with AIl league matches. If Munster weren't winning virtually every home does anyone belive they'd continue with those crowds?
Too right. Success is the key

Shed End John
10/10/2002, 3:12 PM
Originally posted by Éanna

Too right. Success is the key

Too right. I've said it before, I'll say it again and I'll keep saying it until I'm green, white and red in the face, the Cork soccer public is perhaps the most fickle in Europe. If City aren't winning trophies then they don't put asses on seats or 2,000 of us into the Shed. In which case I hope we're not waiting too long more on some REAL silverware not the Munster bloody Cup or anything like that.

Murphy Out Now!!!

Éanna
10/10/2002, 3:51 PM
Originally posted by SÓCcfc
Murphy Out is really just getting a soundbite at this stage.

Why not change the script a bit every now and again.

How about a bit of a change in what ye say, I mean slate the man all ye want but use some other phrase!!

p.s. Gunther forever
Well I tried chanting "Murphy you *********************************************" at matches, but it never caught on :eek: ;)

seriously, what else.

"Please leave Liam" ?:confused:

Shed End John
10/10/2002, 4:00 PM
Originally posted by Éanna

"Please leave Liam" ?:confused:

As if the Mister Niceguy approach will work. :p
Sooner we see the back of the dumb f***er the better.

Murphy Out Now!!!

Counting Crow
10/10/2002, 9:13 PM
Tut, tut, tut....Shed End John. That's another 10 cent in the cookie jar for swearing.

I've a better idea. Just send him ( Sir Gunther - King of Cardboardland ) a letter with the City fixtures ( on official FAI Letterhead - should be easy to make up ) outlined on it.

The trick here is to swop the "home" and "away" details so that he is always at home when City are away and vice versa.

I have got to get "Idea of the month" for that..........!

What do you reckon Eanna?

niamh
11/10/2002, 6:42 PM

Too right. I've said it before, I'll say it again and I'll keep saying it until I'm green, white and red in the face, the Cork soccer public is perhaps the most fickle in Europe. If City aren't winning trophies then they don't put asses on seats or 2,000 of us into the Shed. In which case I hope we're not waiting too long more on some REAL silverware not the Munster bloody Cup or anything like that.

Murphy Out Now!!!

Soccer fans all over the world are like that. there are only a few fans that will support their team hail, rain or snow.

Éanna
12/10/2002, 1:53 PM
Originally posted by Counting Crow
I have got to get "Idea of the month" for that..........!

What do you reckon Eanna?
Worth a try I guess :D