PDA

View Full Version : Professional Team?

pete
02/07/2001, 4:18 PM
I've heard Johhny C say last year on RTE radio the only way the league can progess is thru full-time players. Patsy also said it around the Inter-toto game.

Just wondering how long (if at all) everyone thinks it'll take City to achieve this? Is this just talk from the older players or do the club have any plans?

dahamsta
02/07/2001, 4:29 PM
Please add the option, "As long as it takes to install a competent management team."

adam

James
02/07/2001, 4:31 PM
it aint never gonna happen lads
at least not with this board in control

Neil
02/07/2001, 5:06 PM
time is dependant on complete change of management from board of directors down to first team manager...

pete
02/07/2001, 5:29 PM
Must have spent too much time in Dublin & seeing the way the local clubs run but its kinda depressing when back at the Cross & see the setup.

We are so far behind $hel$ its just not funny anymore. $hel$ loose the league on the final day of the season & replace 1/2 their team! Not just with young lads desparate for a game but proven quality eL players. Imagine how they'd dominate if could find some fans? Saying that i'd say they have the most loyal (if small ) bunch of fans.
Rovers will have the best ground in the league in a couple of years.
Pats have a crappy ground ok but very well run club off the pitch.
Bohs despite winning the league are probably the closest to us when they fail to re-sign Manager who brings first league title for what was it 18 years?

CCFC seem to ready for professionalism if the FAI give them handouts & arrange everything for them! Even Longford seem better organised than CCFC?

James
02/07/2001, 5:43 PM
Rovers will have the best ground in the league in a couple of years

Sry rebel gotta disagree with you there.
If you have seen what they are developing and have planned for Flancare then you'd change your view
When finished Longford will have both the best ground and overalll facilities in the league

pete
02/07/2001, 6:00 PM
Before I start don't forgive this for a SRFC lovefest ;)

For their size 'n all I wouldn't dispute it but a few years SRFC will have 2 3k stands with 2 more to follow.

I remember looking at the Flancare plans for the stand & die use the space very well. I know Longford will have all those training pitches 'n all but Tala will have something similar? Luas will be a big plus for Tala eventually as stops just outside.

Do you know what kind of teams Longford are putting on the terracing? Will it be elevated temporary (Landsdowne Rd) style or on a terraced type (st annes rd en) style.

The best thing about Longford is they have a plan & a time scale! They may or may not make it but at least they are trying.

IMO the current City Board have admirely achieved their goal of saving the club & securing its future. I think its a bit like Davie Barry staying on too long & tarnishing the good work in the past!

James
02/07/2001, 6:18 PM
got pics of the ground from last Wed when we were up there should be online either tomorrow or the day after at the latest.
looks good though.

was never into that SRFC lovefest yourself and JC have going :D
from what I remember flancare will have seating the whole way round, and bout 10K seats in the end

Do you know what kind of teams Longford are putting on the terracing?
actually rebel Longford plan to put the team on the pitch while the fans remain on the terracing or stands ( original concept :D)

btw sry couldnt make it on Sun, no-one would travel up and didnt fancy it on my own..besides had the golf in fota,the munster final in the park and the grand prix to concentrate on:D :D

pete
02/07/2001, 6:46 PM
Doh! Of course meant SEATS there ;) Anyone wany to volunteer as my proofreader???

Had a good feed in Fagans yesterday anyway :D

Eventhough only about 300 max attendance yesterday & obviously no atmosphere it was possible for 300 people to make a bit of noise due to the roofs on the stands! Imagine what the cross would be like with covered stands? Maybe only then it would regain its intimidation on away teams?

joe
02/07/2001, 8:51 PM
Have to say that I can't see it happening with the current board.