PDA

View Full Version : Ireland's greatest player poll.

Pages : [1] 2

TheOwl
26/10/2006, 1:00 PM
The boss in work has just put a poll up on "Who is the Greatest Republic of Ireland player of all-time?" and the sneaky Europeans all seem to think Keane by a landslide! Come on lads let's balance it out a bit!!

http://www.eurosport.com/

EalingGreen
26/10/2006, 4:59 PM
Regardless of who wins, at least your Boss managed to get the Title correct, which is more than we can say for you!

(Unless, of course, you really do mean "Ireland's Greatest Player", in which case it is a tough call. Obviously Geordie B is First, but I can't decide who should finish Second out of Blanchflower, Doherty or Jennings...:) )

Ceirtlis
26/10/2006, 5:14 PM
The official name of the country to which you refer is Ireland its on my passport. It is sometimes called the republic of ireland to decifer it from northern ireland. All fai branded gear has ireland on it.

eirebhoy
26/10/2006, 6:32 PM
EalingGreen - Nobody from the south of Ireland uses the term "Republic of Ireland" so you better get used to it reading this forum. :)

SUB of the day
26/10/2006, 7:26 PM
...from the Peoples Republic, one winner , one game, one God.There's only one KEANO!

Not Brazil
26/10/2006, 7:42 PM
The official name of the country to which you refer is Ireland its on my passport. It is sometimes called the republic of ireland to decifer it from northern ireland. All fai branded gear has ireland on it.

What do FIFA call it?

PS: Pat Jennings, ahead of Georgie in second.

Giles and Brady weren't bad players either.

TheOwl
26/10/2006, 10:21 PM
Regardless of who wins, at least your Boss managed to get the Title correct, which is more than we can say for you!

(Unless, of course, you really do mean "Ireland's Greatest Player", in which case it is a tough call. Obviously Geordie B is First, but I can't decide who should finish Second out of Blanchflower, Doherty or Jennings...:) )

I'm a Dubliner - I call it Ireland

He is a Englishman so he calls it the Republic of Ireland.

There are wars fought over this kind of thing and that's just in our office :D

Could be worse it could have been "who is Eire's greatest ever player?"

crc
26/10/2006, 11:04 PM
EalingGreen - Nobody from the south of Ireland uses the term "Republic of Ireland" so you better get used to it reading this forum. :)
I do, and I'm from the south (don't let the Derry badge fool you, almost all my family is from Limerick/Kerry/Cork and I have spent at least half of my life in the south).

I use 'Republic of Ireland' specifically in these contexts to distinguish it from the larger entity 'Ireland'. I like to reserve the term 'Ireland' when I mean to refer to the whole island, otherwise you get people thinking Ireland stops at the border, or such phrases as "Cork is Ireland's second largest city" (sic). When I was driving to Dublin from a game at the Brandywell, in or around Omagh I had an Australian friend ask "when are we going to be in Ireland?" This is clearly not the intended consequence of the constitution, its author(s), or anyone who proports to give it their allegiance.

Fergie's Son
26/10/2006, 11:16 PM
The answer is....it depends.

On the basis of pure talent then there really isn't anyone near Best.

In terms of contributions then I would have to go with either Roy Keane or Paul McGrath. McGrath had one world cup and one European Championships and was magnificent in both. Keane had...well one world cup but basically dragged us to another.

cheifo
26/10/2006, 11:53 PM
"Irelands" greatest has to be Bestie.My favourite for us was Brady closely followed by Eddie McGoldrick.

theworm2345
27/10/2006, 12:05 AM
David Connolly, hands down ;)
just kidding (maybe not)
I think probably Brady or Giles, In the past few years probably one of the Keanes or Given

Billsthoughts
27/10/2006, 7:32 AM
deffo keane....

Dr. Ogba
27/10/2006, 8:16 AM
"Irelands" greatest has to be Bestie.My favourite for us was Brady closely followed by Eddie McGoldrick.

:D What about Alan Kernaghan?

gspain
27/10/2006, 8:16 AM

Your fellow NI fans voted Pat Jennings first and Geordie Best 2nd when voting on NI's greatest ever player.

Paul McGrath would be my choice. Roy Keane will clearly win though because his performances were more recent and mor ein people's minds. It is a tough call.

Pauro 76
27/10/2006, 9:23 AM
Paul McGrath.....followed by Roy Keane. and then Bernie Slaven. :)

EalingGreen
27/10/2006, 10:33 AM
I'm a Dubliner - I call it Ireland

He is a Englishman so he calls it the Republic of Ireland.

There are wars fought over this kind of thing and that's just in our office :D

Could be worse it could have been "who is Eire's greatest ever player?"

When referring to footballing matters, I call the two teams by their official FIFA designations:

http://www.fifa.com/en/organisation/confederations/associationdetails/0,1483,NIR,00.html?countrycode=NIR

http://www.fifa.com/en/organisation/confederations/associationdetails/0,1483,IRL,00.html?countrycode=IRL

"Country Code" above notwithstanding (!), these titles are mandatory on all official publications, including Match Programmes.

Additionally, I find that "NI" and "ROI" are by far the simplest and quickest way of typing the two names and I can only assume that those who go to the trouble to type "Ireland" and "the North" (or 'six counties' etc) are trying to prove a political point, rather than a footballing one. Oh well.

Btw, despite my handle, I'm not English, I'm a proud Irishman - a proud Northern Irishman, to be precise (and watching the rugby last weekend, I was an equally proud Ulsterman, as I will continue to be when we play London Irish next month!) :D

EalingGreen
27/10/2006, 10:43 AM

That may well be true; then again, I'm not from the "south of Ireland". Therefore, unless you are going to censor or exclude me for using what is, after all, the official FIFA nomenclature, then you'd better get used to reading "ROI" and "NI" from time to time on this forum! ;)

Btw, any Donegal-based posters out there? If so, are you from the "south of Ireland", the "north of Ireland", "Ulster", "Ireland", "the Irish Republic" or "the Republic of Ireland"?
(Joke, btw)

antrimgreen
27/10/2006, 10:48 AM
Class joke Ealing Green, Donegal = Ulster (9 counties), North of Ireland.

geysir
27/10/2006, 10:51 AM
Not Brazil's choice of Jennings over Georgie is interesting. I can see why, if you also take in a mandatory criteria of performances for the national team.
There was a tv debate in the late '70s on who was better, Best or Keegan?
Pat Jennings spoke in Georgie's favour, with not just a hint of incredulity that this topic was even up for debate. The audience voted for Keegan. aargh.
I never saw Charlie Hurley play. I'd say most who saw Giles play would pick him. I supose I would, just for his all round perfection. He'd be the player I'd pick first in the team and work from there with picking the rest.

green army
27/10/2006, 11:33 AM
Paul Mc Grath.

OwlsFan
27/10/2006, 11:48 AM
The name of the State according to article 4 of the constitution is, Ireland in the English language and Éire in the Irish language.

Greatest Irish team

-------------Given-------------
Irwin-----McGrath---Hurley------Dunne (Tony)
Duff------Keane Roy----Giles-------Houghton
---------Keane Robbie----Stapleton-------------

Subs: Bonner, Lawrensen, Brady, Townsend, Aldridge.

geysir
27/10/2006, 12:20 PM
Owl's, have you seen Hurley play?

Are you sure about Houghton at LM and Duff RM ?

Collyontour
27/10/2006, 1:03 PM
Paul McGrath legend

RogerMilla
27/10/2006, 3:27 PM
brady, mcgrath , roy keane , uno , dos , tres

Bring Back Mick
27/10/2006, 3:47 PM
The name of the State according to article 4 of the constitution is, Ireland in the English language and Éire in the Irish language.

Greatest Irish team

1- GARY BREEN
2- GARY BREEN
3- GARY BREEN
4- GARY BREEN
5- GARY BREEN
6- GARY BREEN
7- GARY BREEN
8- GARY BREEN
9- GARY BREEN
10-GARY BREEN
11- GARY BREEN

SUBS - GARY BREEN

as_i_say
27/10/2006, 4:19 PM
maik taylor.

EalingGreen
27/10/2006, 4:52 PM
Not Brazil's choice of Jennings over Georgie is interesting. I can see why, if you also take in a mandatory criteria of performances for the national team.
There was a tv debate in the late '70s on who was better, Best or Keegan?
Pat Jennings spoke in Georgie's favour, with not just a hint of incredulity that this topic was even up for debate. The audience voted for Keegan. aargh.

For me, GB was the greatest Irish footballer that ever was (or ever will be?). By "great", I mean for the breadth and depth of his outrageous talents, whether he ever fulfilled those talents or not.
I would agree, however, that PJ's contribution to the NI team was the greater - he always turned up, if nothing else!

As for the Best v Keegan debate: I have actually got a lot of time for Keegan. I don't think he was so "manufactured" a player as some have suggested. He was a star not just with Liverpool, but also with Hamburg, where they absolutely adored him and he helped turn them from also-rans to Champions. He also won the European Player of the Year twice, which in its 56 year history has only ever been won once by an Irishman (Guess who?).
As an international, he produced one of the top individual displays I've ever witnessed, when England beat NI 4-0 and he was the sole difference between the two teams. (I can't remember an England crowd ever "lighting up" like when KK got the ball, until Gazza came along).

That said, the only reason Keegan "won" the debate over GB was because the audience was English.

As somebody said at the time, "Kevin Keegan isn't fit to lace George Best's drinks" - subsequently tasteless, perhaps, but entirely true nonetheless!

EalingGreen
27/10/2006, 5:00 PM

Greatest Irish team

Yeah, yeah, yeah, but nothing in your first sentence alters the fact that your football team is called "Republic of Ireland" - check it out with Merrion Square, if you like.

And your choice of "Greatest Irish team" is interesting, but no more than four would get into my selection - Irwin, McGrath, Roy Keane (through the most severely gritted of teeth) and Giles. Maybe.

galwayhoop
27/10/2006, 9:35 PM
Additionally, I find that "NI" and "ROI" are by far the simplest and quickest way of typing the two names and I can only assume that those who go to the trouble to type "Ireland" and "the North" (or 'six counties' etc) are trying to prove a political point, rather than a footballing one. Oh well.

fair point ealing.... but then what does that imply about yourself bearing in mind you posted the following comment on this thread

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, but nothing in your first sentence alters the fact that your football team is called "Republic of Ireland" - check it out with Merrion Square, if you like."

people in glass houses.............................. political points? ..... WUM more like

as_i_say
28/10/2006, 12:34 AM
well lets see if we cant figure this out-a few scenarios.

you're abroad and someone asks you where you're from.

Dublin lad (or any lad from "republic" or nationalist lad) says "ireland"
unionist lad from any of the 6 counties says.........what? tell us ealing??

ulster (including cavan, monagahan and donegal), UK (technically correct of course) or northern ireland

Ill guarantee you nobody will ever say republic of ireland thats for sure.

but oh yawn i enjoy this cos the north are doing well right now-EVERY DOG HAS ITS DAY. david healy will wake up in the morning and his electric blanket will have burnt a small nay insignifcant mark on his thigh which will make him superstitious, maik taylor will realise that maybe the germans arent so bad and before you know it the north will be losin to malta and the planets will be alligned and duff will actually start to play.

OwlsFan
28/10/2006, 8:38 AM
Yeah, yeah, yeah, but nothing in your first sentence alters the fact that your football team is called "Republic of Ireland" - check it out with Merrion Square, if you like.

Ireland - that's what the fans call the team. Ireland - that's the place the team represents. Ireland - that's the official name of the State. If a few men in Merrion Square wish to give the team another name, good luck to them but they don't always get it right ;)

As for Roy Keane being one of the Irish football greats, the FAI don't think so:

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=36&Itemid=51

geysir
28/10/2006, 10:19 AM
The first line of the FAI Irish football greats article explains Keane's exclusion.

'Missing anybody? Email us with your suggestions. The criteria for the Greats section is that players must have played international football and must have retired from playing football altogether'

The list hasn't been updated since March 2006. Email them with a suggestion? sounds absurd.

galwayhoop
28/10/2006, 10:16 PM
with quinner and mick included on the list it is a bit of a kick balls to keano!

Den Perry
28/10/2006, 11:11 PM

Greatest Irish team

for once i findyself mostly in agreement with you owls fan....although i cannt comment on Dnne or hurley, but no way would i have houghton

Den Perry
28/10/2006, 11:16 PM

And your choice of "Greatest Irish team" is interesting, but no more than four would get into my selection - Irwin, McGrath, Roy Keane (through the most severely gritted of teeth) and Giles. Maybe.

gotta say Given is a better keeper than Jennings.....and I cant rem NI having a better striker than Robbie keane....though the furthest I rem back was 1982 World cup

What is your overall selection

Superhoops
29/10/2006, 12:29 AM
This would be my XI:

Shay Given

Denis Irwin
Paul McGrath
Charlie Hurley
Tony Dunne

John Giles
Roy Keane
Liam Brady
Ronnie Whelan

Don Givens
Frank Stapleton

Brooklyn ZMB
29/10/2006, 3:11 AM
Keane - Doing the most with the least
Best- Doing the least with the most

hard call.

OwlsFan
29/10/2006, 8:17 AM
for once i findyself mostly in agreement with you owls fan....although i cannt comment on Dnne or hurley, but no way would i have houghton

Ray Houghton was THE player of the Charlton era and that seems to have been lost over the years. He used to cover every blade of grass for Ireland and was very creative and for that goal against Italy (when he was nearing the end of his career) I'd have him in any of my teams ;)

Superhoops, your midfield has no width and leaving out Ireland's top goal scorer of all time? Don't judge Robbie on his current form.

geysir
29/10/2006, 11:39 AM
Nothing better to do.

Alan Kelly snr.
Irwin, Lawrenson, McGrath, Dunne.
Houghton, Giles, Brady, Duff.
Stapleton, Givens.

Alan Kelly? even his sperm contained goalkeeping genius :)

EalingGreen
29/10/2006, 12:42 PM
fair point ealing.... but then what does that imply about yourself bearing in mind you posted the following comment on this thread

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, but nothing in your first sentence alters the fact that your football team is called "Republic of Ireland" - check it out with Merrion Square, if you like."

people in glass houses.............................. political points? ..... WUM more like

Look, I wasn't consiously trying to wind anyone up, nor do I wish to see this thread re-directed to the Current Affairs section for becoming too political. Honest.

To explain fully, I accept completely that it is natural for the name "Ireland" to be employed in everyday use when referring to the FAI team. For instance, fans will shout "C'mon Ireland" etc in the course of a match or will include it in songs and chants, since it scans better.
This is only the same as fans of the IFA team using the term "Ulster" in songs like "Stand Up for the Ulstermen" etc, which seems to irritate some of the posters on this site.
Neither particularly bothers me.

However, I do find it (faintly) irritating when people use "Ireland" in a context which is misleading, or plain wrong - especially when the correct nomenclature is actually easier to use, such as typing "NI", rather than "The North" etc.

In this particular case, despite the Poll's originator having got it correct on Eurosport, the original poster here referred to "Ireland's" Greatest Players, when what he actually meant was "Republic of Ireland's" Greatest Players. Which was why I ventured that other great Irish players like Best, Jennings and Blanchflower should surely have come into the equation.

That's all it was, really and even if I might have anticipated outraged patriots replying with details of the relevant Articles of the Irish Constitution etc, I wasn't actually welcoming it, nor that this thread should get bogged down in political name-calling etc.

For the record, there are two football teams in Ireland. And according to FIFA (the arbiters in such matters), one is to be called "Republic of Ireland" and the other "Northern Ireland".

We Exist. Deal with it. :ball:

EalingGreen
29/10/2006, 1:56 PM
gotta say Given is a better keeper than Jennings.....and I cant rem NI having a better striker than Robbie keane....though the furthest I rem back was 1982 World cup

What is your overall selection

Den,
I don't want to compromise the integrity of this thread, dealing as it does, with the "Greatest Ever ROI XI".

However, when I get a while to think about it properly, I might start a separate thread for a "Greatest Ever Irish XI", though.

I guess it will last about 10 posts before the Mods transfer it to the Current Affairs section, and another 10 before they bin it altogether...:p

Not Brazil
29/10/2006, 2:31 PM
gotta say Given is a better keeper than Jennings

:D :D :D

Superhoops
29/10/2006, 3:54 PM
Superhoops, your midfield has no width and leaving out Ireland's top goal scorer of all time? Don't judge Robbie on his current form.

I am sure that quartet would sort out how to provide width. Also, with Irwin's and Dunne's ability to overlap, I'd be confident the shape would be right.

Your point about Robbie (inconsistency), is exactly why I would have Stapleton and Givens ahead of him.

theleprechaun
29/10/2006, 4:43 PM
shay given

bennocelt
30/10/2006, 7:52 AM
got that free dvd with the sun, normally i would never buy that rag but you know a free football dvd!
watching paul mcgrath on it, awesome, def the best the rep has ever produced
was thinking that paul mcgrath basically did enough in our def to cover 2.3 players, and thats why we went to 2 world cups

about the north, jennings and best

someone is having a laugh if they say Givens is as good as Jennings!

cavan_fan
30/10/2006, 10:10 AM
Nothing better to do.

Alan Kelly snr.
Irwin, Lawrenson, McGrath, Dunne.
Houghton, Giles, Brady, Duff.
Stapleton, Givens.

Alan Kelly? even his sperm contained goalkeeping genius :)

Alan Kelly vs Shay Given. Dont honestly see how this can go any way but to Given who is a world class goalie. I'd have Packie instead of Alan Kelly

Lawrenson at CB is a tough one, would wonder about O'Leary or Moran here. I'd want to find a position for Johnny Carey, probably at left Back.

The problem in midfield is that 3 of our 4 greatest players are Central Midfielders (Giles, Keane and Brady). Seems harsh to leave one out when Duff gets in (though he is our best LM). But if I had to leave one out it would probably be Giles. Dont think you can have Giles and Keane as they are similar. So Brady gets in as more creative. In the end achievement matters and Roy got us into a WC.

Don Givens!!! Even ignoring the fact he was rubbish, his handling of the U21's should exclude him.
I know we're not blessed up front but God wouldnt you choose Quinn, Aldridge or Robbie ahead of these 2?

If we can pick a non 442 would have

Given

Irwin McGrath Moran Carey

Houghton Keane Giles Duff

Brady

Aldridge

Dassa
30/10/2006, 1:12 PM
way to young to remember most ROI players but going by past clips would have to be Giles.

geysir
30/10/2006, 2:08 PM
I haven't a clue about Carey.
Alan Kelly Snr. was a class goalie, stylish like Jennings, my first hero when diving full length across concrete school yards.
What ever opinions about Givens as coach wouldn't cloud my value of him as a player, he could never be regarded as a rubbish player, except when he was of course.
But it's Stapleton and who ever else you want up front. Frank's game against France '81 was the best I have ever seen from a front man for Ireland.

Closed Account 2
30/10/2006, 2:40 PM
Given
Irwin, McGrath, Moran, G. Kelly (on his WC94 form)
Ray Houghton, Roy Keane, Sheridan, Duff
Aldridge, Robbie Keane

Due to my age I havent seen too much pre 88, so my selection has a 88/90/94 bias

I have also got left an right the wrong way round

PaulB
30/10/2006, 3:05 PM
Given, irwin, Mcgrath, Lawrenson, Hughton
, Whelan,Giles, keane, Brady
stapleton, keane