PDA

View Full Version : Team for Swiss Match

bitored
06/10/2002, 11:19 AM
I'm a bit new to this site but here's my thoughts on the "boys in green" and the different positional options - that's if anybody is interested.
Starting at the back I think Ian Harte should keep his place - mainly because of the lack of alternatives but I also feel he doesn't deserve the amount of flak he's been getting.
I think John O'Shea is a MUST. He HAS to start - if he doesn't there should be a public inquiry. He's looked fantastic this season and with Ferdinand rumoured to be out for 6 weeks he's going to get more and more top-flight action. Plus, Gary Breen's having a stinker of a season so O'Shea is the man.
Now here's my controversial one - what about Rory Delap on the right side of midfield. I know his form for Ireland has been patchy but he's been doing the business for Southampton so maybe he deserves another chance?!!?
Upfront I strongly feel Duff is wasted - he's one of the best leftwingers around and to play him out of position is a sin.

So here's my suggested 11:
Given
Carr/Finnan/Kelly Harte

OShea Cunningham

Delap Holland Kinsella Duff

Morrison Keane

Now on paper that looks like a pretty good team. BTW I think Holland's close to losing his place to Colin Healy. So, what do ye think?

SÓC
07/10/2002, 11:18 AM
It would be a cold day in hell before Rory Delap should be allowed back into an Ireland Squad.

I'd go with

Given
Carr/Finnan/Kelly (depending on who is fit) O'Shea, Cunningham, Harte

Healy, Kinsella, Holland, Duff,

Keane, Morrison

O'Shea, I agree must be an Ireland regular now. I hope he isn't suffering because of the two over grown babies fighting through their books.

Our midfield is quite weak, Holland and Kinsella aren't great players but since we have so little options available who else can we play. Healy did very well against Finland on the right wing when he came on. Morrison isn't great but then again we have no options up front either.

I think our squad and manager will be shown up in these qualifiers as the average lot they are, with perhaps 3 good players.

pete
07/10/2002, 1:20 PM
Carr is not fit so he is not an option.

Delap while continuing to get his game in England has not performed at international level so far. McAteer is 1st choice right wing as done the business there in the past.

Morrisson up front should hopefully win some freekicks if get home town ref as he falls over virtually everytime he touches the ball.

:eek:

bitored
07/10/2002, 2:48 PM
I think our squad and manager will be shown up in these qualifiers as the average lot they are, with perhaps 3 good players.

Why such constant pessimism? Surely it's the job of every football supporter everywhere to be optimistic about their team's prospects - that presuming that you do actually want Ireland to do well.
OK, you might not like McCarthy. OK, you might not like the English born players. OK, you might want the team to be comprised of Eircom league players (in which case we'd probably be up there with N.Ireland or Malawi).
But can you not just get on with supporting the team and being optimistic about their prospects. They had a bad day in Moscow - a very bad day - but c'mon man lighten up and support the team.I think our squad and manager will be shown up in these qualifiers as the average lot they are, with perhaps 3 good players.

pete
07/10/2002, 4:11 PM
Originally posted by bitored
But can you not just get on with supporting the team and being optimistic about their prospects.

How? Since its very unlikely i'll go to an international game hardly makes a difference what i shouting at the tv during the matches...