PDA

View Full Version : "They think it's all over it is now" - NOT

Counting Crow
05/10/2002, 2:31 PM
OK, it was a huge dissapointment.
Now that the drink has been downed and the hangovers are begining to ease off I think it's time to put things in perspective.

We're out of the Cup - fact.
The League is going to be a major challenge now that Bohs have taken such a big lead - fact.
Some of the other teams that started so badly are now coming back into form i.e. $hel$, Derry, Longford etc - fact.

Not good so far, I hear you say.

Well think about some of the positives.
We have a very young Team - fact.
If we can keep most of them together for a few years and add some more decent talent, who knows what lies ahead?
We have a new Chairman who genuinely seems to have the Club's interest at heart - read James' report in the latest issue of FourFiveOne - fact.
We have made some impressive changes to the ground that have improved the comfort factor for the fans - fact.
The football has been exciting by and large ( not one 0-0 draw yet this season ). Sure we've lost some games and played badly, but name a team, anywhere, that hasn't done this in a season ( this is directed specifically at the Sky Armchair "supporters" ). It's going to happen guys - just look at Pat's directly after they beat us.
The change to summer football has been good - better pitches, warmer weather, bigger crowds, better football - fact.
Still only 8 euro - where anywhere in the world would you be charged so little to watch your favourite team - fact.

It's at times like this the team ( particularly the younger guys ) need the backing of the fans. Mark my words if the Club can keep these youngsters we will win silverware in the not too ditant future.

Remember where you heard it first!

Colm
05/10/2002, 2:59 PM
Originally posted by Counting Crow
Mark my words if the Club can keep these youngsters we will win silverware in the not too ditant future.
Yeah, but we will be very lucky to have the likes of O'Flynn and Georgie for longer than a season or two so we need to be winning trophies NOW while we still have a talented young side.

bigger crowds How long will they last? Its a sad fact that the crowds will only come out as long as we are winning.

pete
05/10/2002, 3:45 PM
IMO this young team crap is just an excuse.

theres no guarantee a player will be better when 25 as opposed to 21 or 19 now.

City may have young players but all of them have a couple of years experience behind them.

Does anyone think Murphy will improve the "young players"?

Colm
05/10/2002, 3:57 PM
Originally posted by pete

Does anyone think Murphy will improve the "young players"? No, one of them will challenge his authority and he will send them packing to the wilderness of Cobh or Limerick and hence ruin their careers.

Éanna
05/10/2002, 9:14 PM
counting crow, you do speak a lot of sense, and it would be rash and unfair for people to be angry, and calling for murphy´s head just on the basis of this one game. BUT, the fact is, that most of the people who are voicing their dissatisfaction now have been voicing it to a degree up to now as well. This anger is not based on this one game, it is merely the culmination of a hell of a lot of frustrating days on the terraces- MURPHY OUT NOW

Counting Crow
06/10/2002, 7:35 AM
Eanna, I agree with your sentiments, to be honest with you.

You'll notice in my original thread I did not mention Murphy at all. I just wanted us all to focus on the positive - something that's hard to do if you include any reference to Murphy.

You certainly do need to question some of the decisions made recently.
1. For instance, why Mulligan hasn't featured more since the Rovers game, where he had a huge impact after coming on. Even an American friend of mine ( who has been to 3 games in his life - all at the Cross, Harps cup-tie, Rovers and Derry last Friday ) commented that we should put on JFMulligan earlier last Friday. Imagine that, and American being more aware of how a game was developing!!!!!!!!
If some players have injuries, then this information should be made available to us - even afterwards.

2. Why was Gaz dropped. If he's making a point due to the latest batch of results then fair enough, that is his perogative. He may have picked the wrong player, but it is his choice.
But God almighty, he needs to look at some of his own decisions also. His lack of substitutions in some of the recent games defies belief. It's basic stuff, if something isn't working then change it - bring on some different talent - it worked against Rovers - HELLO!

3. Finally, from a public relation point of view he's a disaster. I've seen flower pots with more personality. It just shows his lack of cop-on that he doesn't even try to get on our side. He just completely brushes aside the people who pay good money ( cheap @ 8 euro I might add ) to keep him in his current position.
If Lennox is as astute as he appears to be he will see through the fact that a Manager needs to have more than a Coaching badge. He needs to be an Ambassador for the Club also.

Just don't expect any changes until Gunther's contract is up. To do anything before then would a disaster from a financial point of view - we're proably still paying off Mountfield.

So yes, we do need fresh ideas. Just for now let's keep backing our boys out on the field.

To do anything else would be just playing into the hands of the Duuuuubleeeeeen shower.

pete
06/10/2002, 11:27 AM
I doubt Murphy on a big contract anyway as its just a part-time one. The clubs is likely to lose more with Murphy as manager than thanking him for his work, paying the rest of his contact & saying goodbye.

Colm
06/10/2002, 1:15 PM
Yeah, he cant have more than a few months left on his contract anyway so the club might be better off paying off his contract and wishing the best for the future.

ccfcman
06/10/2002, 7:05 PM
Originally posted by Éanna
MURPHY OUT NOW [/QUOTE]:( :(

quick snigger on my part...who the hell in so boy wonder?

Éanna
07/10/2002, 5:23 PM
2. Why was Gaz dropped. If he's making a point due to the latest batch of results then fair enough, that is his perogative. He may have picked the wrong player, but it is his choice.
I reckon thats the reason. I was told he´s definitely not injured. Like you say, fair enough if he´s making a point, I think he picked the wrong player too, but at least it shows he´s noticed.

Éanna
07/10/2002, 5:24 PM
Originally posted by ccfcman
quick snigger on my part...who the hell in so boy wonder?

here you go (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4470) :rolleyes:

Shed End John
08/10/2002, 4:37 PM
Still only 8 euro - where anywhere in the world would you be charged so little to watch your favourite team - fact

Try Eastern Europe or South America where the average price of admission is about 10-15p and you can usually sit in the best seats in the ground for about 1-2 Euros.

Murphy Out Now!!!

Éanna
09/10/2002, 8:24 AM
or germany where you can see an intertoto match for 5€. Cheapest tickets into the bernabeu for league games are around 11-12€